• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Ten Commandments

Administrator
Staff Member
The 10 Commandments - God's Revelation in the Old Testament
The 10 Commandments are found in the Bible's Old Testament at Exodus, Chapter 20. They were given directly by God to the people of Israel at Mount Sinai after He had delivered them from slavery in Egypt:

"And God spoke all these words, saying: 'I am the LORD your God…

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

The 10 Commandments - Christ's Summation in the New Testament
About 1,400 years later, the 10 Commandments were summed up in the New Testament at Matthew 22, when Jesus was confronted by the religious "experts" of the day:

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

A reflective reading of Christ's teaching reveals that the first four commandments given to the children of Israel are contained in the statement: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." It continues that the last six commandments are enclosed in the statement: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi Al. Summed up, as in "basicilly put". What I am saying is that if you do the 2 "greatest commandments" as mentioned in Matthew 22:36-40 you are also doing the rest of the commandments. If you can do those both, you have done the rest.

God Bless You Al! Good to see you post again.

That's an interesting breakup of the 10 commandments which I never noticed before. Jesus' summary in the form of the two highest commandments is brilliant. Summing up is like a cliffnotes version, but in this situation, it is infinititely more poetic and genius.

There is a definite chronological progression in God's teachings. In the old testament we had the 10 commandments, in the new testament we had the "summary" of these commandants by Jesus. And, it logicaly follows, that we could even break this summary down further, if God wills or chooses to enlighten us more, when the time is right. For example, how exactly are we to "love God" and also "love our neighber" in today's times?

Sure, the original 10 commandments give detailed examples, but who do you know has an ox or donkey to possibly covet? As times change, so must our application of the teachings be refined (as Jesus did in his days), to be workable or applicable. People mature and progress individually, as does society mature and make progress as a whole. This brings me back to the question, how do we make love to God?

People have different ways to pray and to commune with God according to their own personal development or relationship with God/Jesus. Not surprisingly, men living today considered saints by many credible people, have experiemented with various forms of prayer/meditation and found very effective methods to love God and to commune with God within their own bodily temple - where God and Spirit truly dwelleth.*

*1 Corinthians 6:19 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?"

redpurusha,

the ox and donkey is representative of anything that is not yours, not just an ox or donkey.

Plus; speaking of prayer, I will stick with the Model Jesus gave us in the Lords prayer. It is effective.

Peace be with you,
John.

The Ten Commandments

Commandments, The Ten
(Exodus 34:28; Deuteronomy 10:4, marg. "ten words") i.e., the Decalogue (q.v.), is a summary of the immutable moral law. These commandments were first given in their written form to the people of Israel when they were encamped at Sinai, about fifty days after they came out of Egypt (Exodus 19:10-25). They were written by the finger of God on two tables of stone. The first tables were broken by Moses when he brought them down from the mount (32:19), being thrown by him on the ground. At the command of God he took up into the mount two other tables, and God wrote on them "the words that were on the first tables" (34:1). These tables were afterwards placed in the ark of the covenant (Deuteronomy 10:5; 1 Kings 8:9). Their subsequent history is unknown. They are as a whole called "the covenant" (Deuteronomy 4:13), and "the tables of the covenant" (9:9,11; Hebrews 9:4), and "the testimony."

COMPARE KJV & WORLD ENGLISH BIBLE

KJV (Exodus 20) World English
Ex 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
God spoke all these words, saying,
Ex 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
"I am Yahweh your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Ex 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
You shall have no other gods before me.
Ex 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
"You shall not make for yourselves an idol, nor any image of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Ex 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
you shall not bow yourself down to them, nor serve them, for I, Yahweh your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and on the fourth generation of those who hate me,
Ex 20:6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
and showing lovingkindness to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
Ex 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
"You shall not take the name of Yahweh your God in vain, for Yahweh will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
Ex 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Ex 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
You shall labor six days, and do all your work,
Ex 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
but the seventh day is a Sabbath to Yahweh your God. You shall not do any work in it, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your man-servant, nor your maid-servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates;
Ex 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
for in six days Yahweh made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore Yahweh blessed the Sabbath day, and made it holy.
Ex 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which Yahweh your God gives you.
Ex 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
"You shall not murder.
Ex 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
"You shall not commit adultery.
Ex 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
"You shall not steal.
Ex 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
"You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
Ex 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
"You shall not covet your neighbor`s house. You shall not covet your neighbor`s wife, nor his man-servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor`s."
Ex 20:18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
All the people perceived the thunderings, the lightnings, the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking. When the people saw it, they trembled, and stayed at a distance
Ex 20:19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
They said to Moses, "Speak with us yourself, and we will listen; but don`t let God speak with us, lest we die."
Ex 20:20 And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.
Moses said to the people, "Don`t be afraid, for God has come to test you, and that his fear may be before you, that you won`t sin."
Ex 20:21 And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was.
The people stayed at a distance, and Moses drew near to the thick darkness where God was.
Ex 20:22 And the LORD said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.
Yahweh said to Moses, "This is what you shall tell the children of Israel: `You yourselves have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.
Ex 20:23 Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.
You shall most certainly not make alongside of me gods of silver, or gods of gold for yourselves.
Ex 20:24 An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.
You shall make an altar of earth for me, and shall sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your peace-offerings, your sheep and your oxen. In every place where I record my name I will come to you and I will bless you.
Ex 20:25 And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.
If you make me an altar of stone, you shall not build it of hewn stones; for if you lift up your tool on it, you have polluted it.
Ex 20:26 Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon.
Neither shall you go up by steps to my altar, that your nakedness may not be exposed to it.`

Al said:
Thank You..
As you can see...Now we know the meaning of the ten commandments and what they mean.
And why.
And with Authority!
And with meaning!
That God is not to be sinned against..He wants us to know that He is the only true God, and that He sets the rules for all men!
We never never should belittle his word in anyway...because anything left out will be learned by others, and not in its fullness..(the word of God in its fullness.)
Thank you chad for posting....in that without discussion like the 12 deciples and without the word of Jesus, we as mere men cannot know the meaning of Gods word without understanding..IN ITS FULLNESS!
al
i agree we need to remember is commandments he gave them so we can live successful and wholesome lives, i praise god for all he has given amen

The end of the law is love.

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. Romans 10:4

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. Roman 13:10

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. Galatians 2:13

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. 1 Timothy 6:17-19

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, Titus 2:7

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. Titus 2:14

This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.Titus 3:8

And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful. Titus 3:14

And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Hebrews 10:24

The commandments are death for the wicked but they can be a blessing to the saved.

In :love: of JESUS the Christ, Our LORD, the ONLY begotten Son of GOD.