• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Temptation Verse Sin ??

Loyal
So what is the difference between temptation and sin???

The main reason I bring this is up, is I had in the past always thought if I thought of a women in a in-moral way for a split second I have sinned, but that split second is the temptation that comes when my flesh is turned on for what ever reason, its what I do the next second that matters, weather I give into the flesh or fight it off in the spirit. I am training myself not to look at magazine covers at the Grocery store since most try to appeal to our flesh, our to look the other way when women are dressed to appeal to the flesh, But with all this, there is usually a split second when the visual is made at least out of the corner of the eye, so to me the important part is even if the flesh gets worked up, train my thoughts to go to Jesus and his word, and do not let flesh take captive my thoughts.

So the flesh will be tempted and even get lusted up, but when that happens it is not sin unless you give into thought of the lust of the flesh, like fantasize about it, or keep your minds thoughts on it.

this is something I have just learned and never seen is this light before,

I would love to here from some others if they agree with this line of thinking

Loyal
Even Jesus was tempted, but He did not sin. Being tempted is not a sin.

Matt 4:1; Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
Mark 1:13; And He was in the wilderness forty days being tempted by Satan; and He was with the wild beasts, and the angels were ministering to Him.
Heb 4:15; For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

Loyal
Jas 1:14; But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.
Jas 1:15; Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
Jas 1:16; Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.

Sin is "giving in" to the temptation. Satan says "go steal that money over there". Satan comes back and says "It's easy, no one will see you".
Satan comes back and says "It's not really stealing, you deserve it". But so far you haven't sinned. It's when you actually pick up the money and put it in your
pocket that you sin.

Loyal
Greetings Dave, @Dave M

You have raised an interesting subject and our brother B-A-C has covered it with scripture well.

The devil will always try and tempt us, he always knows our weak points!

I understand what you are saying regarding magazine covers, but I find the TV worse, and maybe a better example. Say you are watching a program or film you least likely think there will be anything of a sexual or lustful nature. Camera men/women are noted for the way they catch the eye, looking down the body, up the body, the bottom half and even the crutch, in an instance it is in front of you, what you don't want to see. The first look is temptation, unless you don't look away. A second look or a gaze is sin, if you start looking at detail, shape size, etc, etc, you are into lustful sin, you are committing the act in your heart already. Jesus says when this happens you are guilty of sin, guilty of the act itself.

The same can be said for something that happens before the eye, a ladies dress blowing up in the wind, showing what she doesn't wear. A lady bend down to a child, or in a shop to look at the bottom shelf, her dress rides high and you cannot help but see more than the bottom shelf. Look away immediately it was set to get you to look again or to gaze, then the mind goes into overdrive. Look away immediately and you were tempted but didn't sin, take a longer look the mind is always ahead of what you see, you have sinned.

It is similar when you meet a lady, a kiss, becomes a grope, but the mind is on the goal. I always had an issue, pretty women, catching the eye, flirting, the mind is far in front, people say flirting is harmless, flirting is sin.

I overcome all of these issues, I do not say it is the right way or only way, it was just my way.

1 - If I get a flash of temptation, you know what I am saying, I look away immediately
2 - If there is a temptation to take another look, sing Shine Jesus Shine or what ever praise you feel in your heart.
3 - When you look at a woman (person of the opposite sex) always think of them as 'someones loved one'
4 - As for TV I do not watch much of it so I can avoid this but there is always the unexpected, that is how the devil works, I look away, but sometimes I would have to do it many times, all media is corrupt with sex.

After looking away I Sing God's Praises.

Romans 8:37 (NKJV)
37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.

Bless you \o/

Loyal
thank you brother Paul,, yeap TV is a big one, I have pretty much stopped watching it, no longer have cable. I do watch Faith movies like Chariots of Fire, but I am very discerning about them.

I love your list and pretty much do that now, I would like to add. that in the beginning I would stumble in this department giving into the flesh, but when I did I would fast the very next day to show God I am serious about being obedient and I was very sorry, he has done wonders for me in this department, it has been longer then I can remember since I stumbled and gave in to the the flesh, but it took fasting and praying,

so I just want to urge anyone who is having a issue in the lust of the flesh stay strong FAST and pray God will set you free, its not always easy, , but God can set you free if you seek after him whole heartily.

Loyal
thank you brother Paul,, yeap TV is a big one, I have pretty much stopped watching it, no longer have cable. I do watch Faith movies like Chariots of Fire, but I am very discerning about them.

I love your list and pretty much do that now, I would like to add. that in the beginning I would stumble in this department giving into the flesh, but when I did I would fast the very next day to show God I am serious about being obedient and I was very sorry, he has done wonders for me in this department, it has been longer then I can remember since I stumbled and gave in to the the flesh, but it took fasting and praying,

so I just want to urge anyone who is having a issue in the lust of the flesh stay strong FAST and pray God will set you free, its not always easy, , but God can set you free if you seek after him whole heartily.

So true brother

We will be tested, there is nothing more sure and it will be when we least expects it, the devil roams like a raging hungry lion.

1 Peter 1:7 NKJ
These trials will show that your faith is genuine.
It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold.
So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.

Bless you.