• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Staying Married or Get Divorced

Just something I thought I should add. I am not a mature older Christian with years of experiance to back me up, but something has perked my ears here.

Somewhere it was said that "surely God doesn't want his children to be unhappy." I agree, but didn't the apostle Paul say "In whatever state I find myself, I am content?" If anyone should have been unhappy it was Paul. He had been beaten, stoned, whipped, mocked, spit on, and more. But he wasn't unhappy because he knew true happiness has nothing to do with our worldly situation. True happiness comes from a right relationship with God. Knowing our name is written in the lambs book of life gives joy, and no matter what befalls us, it doesn't matter in the end.

Another thing to think about is marraige isn't about our needs it's about our partner. In my humble opinion, I would suggest maybe you should start puting your husband first a little more. Maybe through serving him, you will find the love you lost. But even if you don't, you will be serving God like he said you should when He said, "Wives submit yourselves to your own husbands as unto the lord"

May the Lord Lead and Guide you

Bill

Dear Word of Life, i just read this thread and i really empathize with your situation, though my situation has moved on now and differs in that my legal husband is a non-Christian.
When i really struggled whilst spending time with God i really poured out my heart about how i felt. Perhaps it would help to just really focus on your relationship with God at the moment. Take one day at a time as far as you possibly can.
I appreciate what you are saying about your marriage and about not feeling love(d). I read a book lately which really helped me with my relationship with my teenage son whom i was struggling to love. Obviously a marriage relationship is different but the author writes a book about marriage too. Since i am not sure that i can post a link to it here do pm me if you are interested. I found that i now am more aware of practical ways that i can love my teenage son and since i've been following some of the suggestions our relationship has blossomed after there being some distance between us.
God bless,

Just something I thought I should add. I am not a mature older Christian with years of experiance to back me up, but something has perked my ears here.

Somewhere it was said that "surely God doesn't want his children to be unhappy." I agree, but didn't the apostle Paul say "In whatever state I find myself, I am content?" If anyone should have been unhappy it was Paul. He had been beaten, stoned, whipped, mocked, spit on, and more. But he wasn't unhappy because he knew true happiness has nothing to do with our worldly situation. True happiness comes from a right relationship with God. Knowing our name is written in the lambs book of life gives joy, and no matter what befalls us, it doesn't matter in the end.

Another thing to think about is marraige isn't about our needs it's about our partner. In my humble opinion, I would suggest maybe you should start puting your husband first a little more. Maybe through serving him, you will find the love you lost. But even if you don't, you will be serving God like he said you should when He said, "Wives submit yourselves to your own husbands as unto the lord"

May the Lord Lead and Guide you

Bill

Thank you for adding to this thread brother Bill. Great to see you on the forum again ;)

God bless you brother
Much love
Faithful Son

Thanks Rachel15, Faithfull Son and billyeah for your kind and thoughtful replies, advice and prayers

I have struggled with this now for some time, as I stated in my first post. Even though me and my husband do not fight or argue, in fact we are more like brother and sister, than living as husband and wife, which is sad. My love for him is not there, as a wife, but I hear what you all say. Which I know must hurt him, as much as it is hurting me. For some reason, my heart is set on going back to England into this ministry. Every time I focus on the life which I lead in South Africa, for some reason, it's not long that my thoughts go straight back to England and on this ministry again, and I even dream about England at night too, it totally within me. I have used up all my energy now in shaking this off, I have tried and I don't know why I am finding it so difficult. It's something I just cannot explain.

As I previously said, I spoke to my mum yesterday on the phone, and she was explaining me about this man in her church, (She wants me to meet him) and how everything he tried to do and want to do, always came to a big halt, was hindered and he encountered many roadblocks, blocking his path, and he just could not understand it, to why everything wasn't going his way. He had a good home, he was a bisness man and had a good job, with mortgage etc. But for some reason, he wasn't happy. He felt he had everything, but his relationship with God was hindered. He felt this tug at his heart, which he didn't understand. He tried to do it his way, but he got no-where. He tried all efforts in being a good Christian, attending his church, praying and having a relationship with God, but he still felt hindered and he could not understand why. One day, someone spoke to him, that he should attend bible college and become more involved in ministry work, and be more committed, which meant giving up everything. To cut a long story short, he sold up everything, and went to bible college, and that's where he is now. All of sudden he felt, immediate relief, and all that burden and heavy luggage, which he carried around was gone. He feels that's where God wanted him to be.

One needs to remember, it's not where we want to be, it’s where God want's us to be.

I have read several posts here, whereby people have been hindered in prayer (including myself) a situation in their life doesn't seem to be resolving itself, and after many efforts in doing the right things, studying the bible, praying, worshipping God in spirit and truth, but still the problems are still there and are not resolved. I have often thought about this, "to why, do we have such problems as these". God has given us the holy spirit and has provided us with power. I have sat and thought about it and ask God about it too. Personally I think, it's because we don't listen to Him and do His will in the first place. And many times we probably just end up doing our own will, instead of His.

If it sounds totally bazaar what you feel God is telling you to do, I feel that is God speaking to us. And He will be there to give you full support.

I have also done many searches in google for "Doing God Will" or "What is God's Will" You know most Christians don't even know the answer to that question, I was actually quite shocked. I will be looking into this more over the weekend.

Now what I thought of earlier as I was reflecting upon my problem, was to tell my husband again, as I said this too him last year, and I haven't said this to him this year, is to say, "I want to go to this ministry still, as I feel this has been placed on my heart. We could stay married, and he then could have time on his own to reflect and discuss this same matter with himself and God, or whether he is committed enough to join me in this too, and if he is prepared to give everything up in doing so" I am sorry, I can't be hindered through someone else.

Please read these scriptures.

(Mar 10:29) And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

(Luk 18:29) And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,

Luk 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

God showed me those scriptures many months ago and I ignored them. Well I thought no one else was doing this, so why must I, so I must be on the right track. Right?

But I need to do God's will, I can't change that, if He want's me there, I have to be there, it's that simple. When I talk, make plans in my mind and think about this, my heart and spirit is more settled. When doubts come back into play and I continue with something else, my spirit seems unsettled and I am stressed up.

Giving everything up and not worrying about finances, or the future, and one's needs, is to totally rely on Him for everything, He will provide. God has blessed me and my husband and God has shown me, that money, big houses, fast and the latest cars and designer clothes, high powered jobs, are not important.

Obviously a marriage relationship is different but the author writes a book about marriage too. Since i am not sure that i can post a link to it here do pm me if you are interested.

Thank you and I will contact you and let you know, if I am interested. But at present I do so much reading.

Here is what my mum said to me:

........"by the time you read this you will most properly will be feeling alot better, but I have made my mind up to say it anyway. I feel you should make plans to come home you have tried to be happy in S/A and in your marriage but nothing seems to change, and the longer you leave it the worse or harder it will be. I also believe God has a plan for your life, and I also believe He needs to know the desires of your heart so He can put it into practice, we do not have a condemning God He does not hold things against us, He made a new Covent with us and I believe He will show His love to you what ever you decide.

I spent years of my married life hoping things would change but they never did, we cant make people love us no more than we can force ourselves to love some one else, look at me God has blessed me so much and I seek Him more in my life now than ever before, He has not condemned me for not trying harder to hold my marriage together. In fact in many ways this marriage is even harder so I need to draw on Gods word even more, and He always meets my needs. By harder I really mean different, another family to work along side as well as my own, to be there for my husband and help him, and meet his needs, try to pick up the pieces after some one has been hurt, but with Gods help I know I can do it, and with Gods help I know you can too".

Last edited:
Sister Word of Life. I don't agree with your reasoning.

The context in which Jesus said leave your family for Him is if they are unsaved, or of the world. I doubt Jesus, who has a high regard for marriage, calling it holy, will agree that you should leave your husband for the ministry, especially since your husband is a Christian.

I really don't agree.

God bless

Yes I know Faithful Son. Everyone I have spoken to about this, which have been mainly Christians have reacted in the same way as you. But where are those brothers and sisters, when I need them, (at work I am talking about) They are just not there to support me. Emotionally.

I have just had a conversation with someone just now and I was astonished on what she told me, her statement was. "She's deciding what faith to try next" :shock: I just shake my head, they don't know what they are doing out there.

Mat 15:14 Let them be: they are blind guides. And if a blind man is guiding a blind man, the two will go falling into a hole together.

I tried to explain about the spiritual side of it. She gives me blank look. She has come's from a Catholic background, telling me about crying statues and what do I think of them, I told her there is no more signs for today. I asked her about why the Catholics are praying to the virgin Mary, when there is no scripture, saying this. Jesus taught us to pray to the Father only. So I asked her to show me the scripture, she changes the subject.

The point I was trying to make in my last post, my husband can come with me, if he wants too. The world needs help. Outside the man made churches.

I agree with you that the world needs help. The gospel needs to be preached and every one needs to have a ministry. But did you know that you already have one? Your husband is your first and most important ministry. That is where God placed you and that is where God wants you to stay.

One thing I have noticed Satan will do in my life, is he within a truth, he will hide a lie. Because it has some truth, that is what my brain is focused on and I totally miss the lie. What he has done in your case is told you you should minister to the world, (true) but therin has hidden the lie, that you have to leave your husband to do it. Home and family are the most important things in this world, and God esteems them very highly.

I found it interesting you quoted Luke 14:27. Is a cross light? Is it easy to bear? No and No! This is your cross, you have been given to bear! Don't throw it off to find another one that would be easier.

A few months ago, I wanted to go to Bible school. Oh I felt it so strongly in my heart this is what God wanted me to do. Sell everything and go to school and totally trust in the Lords provision. Nothing was going to stop me. Then suddenly my wifes father was furious! He sees bible school as heretic and said I would be leading my family straight to hell. Now for me, this wasn't a big deal, I could take this kind of heat. My wife, who was 5 months pregnant, couldn't. She almost went into a nervous breakdown because she had never had such division in her family. It was then that I realized as a husband my first responsibility is to my family. I learned it was in this order; God, Family, World. If your family are believers, God will never require you to tear them apart.

Really, a marraige is like the relationship between Christ and the church. Together for eternity, never to be separated.

Seek out the lie within the truth. God does not and will never ever want you to leave a believing spouse for another ministry.

In Christ

Bill

I agree brother Bill. Sister Word of Life, our words may sound hard and harsh, but it's said in a spirit of caring.

I think you need to take a break from this thread, the situation and take a few days off to reflect. Don't be in a hurry, go somewhere, book yourself into a guest house or something if you have the means to pay for it and just spend some time alone with God.

I need to do the same thing, but I can't, it's not in my means, I pray that God will lift this tension I'm under and give me some light, but only time will tell.

God bless you

I think you need to take a break from this thread, the situation and take a few days off to reflect. Don't be in a hurry, go somewhere, book yourself into a guest house or something if you have the means to pay for it and just spend some time alone with God.
Dear Word of Life I think this is really sound advice - situations can be so stressful. I understand what you are saying about emotional support - God knows how overwhelming these can be - remember Jesus praying in the garden of Gethsemene. He knows - as you surrender your emotions to Him let the Wonderful Counsellor minister to you in this situation - then you will have true peace.

God bless you,

I said I didn't have the means to get this stress lifted, but I just spoke to friends and I will be visiting them today and tomorrow. God did provide light for me, although I've felt so tense and stressed out the past 2 weeks.

I hope there is light for you too sister Word of Life, God bless you

Hang in there Word of Life

Word of Life, don't leave us. Please stay with TalkJesus. Sometimes we can feel backed into a corner and feel the need to pull away. Don't do that here, because you are getting so much very loving advice. No one is making judgment on you. We are all concerned for your future choices with Christ.

I had a bitter upbringing with a bit of a dysfunctional father, strong and arrogant and very catholic. (I am no longer catholic). Anyway within the catholic church there is a movement called peace and development, where they are supposed to be concerned with worldly problems, poverty and abuse, etc... Anyway my dad was part of this group. I remember feeling a bit bitter and thinking, "how can one figure out or help out the needs of the world, when they can't even figure out the needs of their family?". See, I think that a family has to come before ministry, or it is all backwards. We have to heal the inner, before we attempt to heal the outer.

God is going to work this out for you Word of Life. Keep up your great faith and have that special "patience", that we all need as Christians.
You are not proud and vain Word of Life, as you struggle your faith still
remains.

Ecclesiastes 7:8
The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride.

And God puts us through challenges like you are going through, to refine us, to make the right choices, to become totally dependent on Him.

Isaiah 48:10
See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.

You will breathe a sigh of relief when this is over with Word of Life. We are like a butterfly, going through stages of development. We are now in our pupae stage and lots is happening. Yeah, I think too that you should take a breather and do something nice for yourself. A special treat, between you and God. I am rooting for you to get through this stage of your human life. God bless you and smiles for you Word of Life.

Hugs:pixie:sun::rainbow:

Greetings sister. You posed a question to the body of Christ on this forum and have received the answer to God's will for your marriage, however, are you willing to accept it?

Jesus said if any man wants to follow him he must deny himself and pick up his cross daily. Please bear in mind that Jesus' cross was a bloody one filled with splinters, heavy, being carried on open wounds. It was not a pretty-shiny cross glittering in the sun. He denied legions of Angels to spare him, to do His Father's Will. It was not easy. He sweat great drops like blood. And, he bled all the way to his death.

Where does it say in the Word that God's will for us is to live a continual happy life, on this earth, and if we are not happy in our situation we should run to greener pastures? This earth is not our permanent home, we are merely pilgrims walking through it. Jesus said "In this life ye shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer for I have overcome the world".

We are promised tribulations, hardships, trials, and firey trials. Through them all, we are more than conquerers through Christ Jesus.

You want to run away from a firey trial instead of dying and allowing God's will, even if it means he smite you (he won't, but that's how you should feel). Though thou smite me, yet shall I love thee.

How do you know what is in store for you around the corner with your husband? Can you see the future? I sure can't. But one thing I know for sure, God can change a life in the twinkling of an eye! You don't know what lies ahead. You don't know when the rainbow is coming. But you are unhappy, therefore a body must be severed. What? A body severed? Yes. "The two shall become ONE flesh".

Did God bring you into this marriage to fail you now? Does he bring to the point of birthpains and not deliver? Please rethink, and repray your decision to divorce your husband.

What if... what if it was God's will for you to remain with your husband for the rest of your days, and nothing changed? What if that is God's will for you? Can you be sure it isn't?

I would like to thank you all for your replies, advice and concerns about me. I don't know why this ministry has been placed on my heart, but there has to be a reason for it.

Like I said in my previous post, my husband can come with me, if he wants too, it's his choice. But as yet, I haven't discussed it with him, I wanted to reflect on things and ask God again.

There are too many people out there following rules, rituals and traditions of man, and this hurts me. Jesus warns us about it, but still people go ahead and do it.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
1Co 15:47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
1Co 15:48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
Gal 3:4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

I don't know all the answers, but I do know something has gone wrong. The world needs help, outside these man made churches.

I have asked God to lead me to a place out here. And as yet, I do not feel that pull in my heart, that I should be at a place out here. One day, my husband and I drove around, for about an hour, thinking that God would lead me to a pacific place or ministry. I feel this didn't happen, if He did show me, then I missed it.

But it's like I said in another post of mine, I have read posts here, when people automatically know what ministry they are called too.

Hope you had a restful and peaceful time Faithful Son.

I really do appreciate you replies, I will continue to seek God for more clarity and direction.

God bless you all. :love:

I read the first post WOF. and i must say a few things. You found another man, which is considered sexual sin. if you've been having a relationship with another man, then you've been cheating on your husband. The Bible says that you are not to divorce except for sexual sin...your husband has the right to divorce you, but i believe God restores...and I believe you need to get your life right with Christ because as of now, if you are with another man, your life with Christ is not what it should be...

i suggest going to Pure Life Ministries...Kathy Gallagher has a new book out for struggling women...and i suggest you get it...

Thanks for your reply Deeper, but I just need to correct something here. I lusted in the heart, and not in the flesh. Women do lust too, just like most men do, it's something which one need's to overcome. Just like most men that have this same problem and needs deliverance from, us women need to be delivered from this too.

This man was a Christian counselor and he put me in my place. He was helping me with the Word, and I messed up. I had no back-ground of Christianity what-so-ever, until I met him. I didn’t know God. God worked though him to get to me, so that I too could be saved, but I let God down. God opened up my eyes through this man and this I am extremely grateful for. I hold a lot of respect for this man.

Also I have done no more than what my husband has done during all the years of our marriage when he lusted after women with his heart, and this was done right in front of me.

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

I have forgiven my husband for his lustful ways, and my husband has forgiven me. But this does not solve the problem, of me not loving my husband as a wife should do, my feelings changed for my husband before I even had any contact with this man. I see my husband, more like a brother and not as wife and this is not right.

During the last 18 months I have shed enough guilt and tears over this, because I know what I did was wrong. God has shown me my errors and those ways which were wrong. I just get my strength from God, and His Word.

I was reading this last night.

Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

God gave us our emotions, and sadness in and of itself is not sin, even though some Christians act like it is.

I would like to quote what Dreamer said in another thread about emotions. God gave us emotions, lust is an emotion. But acting on that lustful emotion, within a marriage is a sin, but battling and trying to overcome that emotion is not a sin. It's just a daily battle, which I am trying to overcome, but with great difficulty. Anger is also an emotion, but acting on that anger with evil is the sin etc.

Joh 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
Joh 8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

Last edited:
Yes, i am saying it's sexual sin because you lusted and let me explain why. in Mathew we read taht Lust, in Jesus's eyes is the same as adultery, you committed adultery in your heart. so it is in fact sexual sin. weather it be looking at him, thinking of him, fantasy life...

if this man causes you to stumble, you must flee. the BIble says that "bad compony corrupts good morals." and in this case for you, he is a stumbling block.

a man should not be counseling a woman single handedly, esspecially a married woman at that. what he did was wrong, even though your eyes were opened, you were being blinded.

i want to suggest a place to go via the internet, Pure Life Ministries. they can help you if you are really wanting to love your husband again, truly deeply.

lusting after someone is a sin, to lust. there is no precurser. when you lust you are lusting not battleing the temptation...but i see what you are saying about batteling temptation to lust...

think about it....take care

In Him,
Skylar

Word of Life, I hope you have taken time and had a break.

I just want you to know that I am praying for you. I am sorry that you are in this painful place. I have been where you are in the place of believing that what you have been given is not what you want, it is a battle within. It is flesh fighting against spirit. I now know that where I am and who I am with is exactly where God wanted me all along. I just fought against it and it sounds like you are fighting against a similar thing.

You mentioned ministry, someone has stated already ministry starts at home. We have to be trusted with the basics first before venturing off into bigger things. You are married and have a husband. God can use you both as a team serving Him. Why do you think being single is the answer to you being able to serve the Lord?

My ministry for the past four years has been my husband and son. God entrusted them into my life and I had not been fulfilling my role as a wife and mother in the way that God desired for me. So this has been my focus. And I will tell you I really thought I did not love my husband. There was someone else in my life. I severed all ties from this other person, so I could concentrate on being everything I could be to my husband. I prayed to the Lord to show me how to love. It is a conscious decision, it is a choice. To me it is the right thing to do to remain in the marriage unless one is in danger. I believe God can heal and restore any marriage and gives us all the ability to love the other person. As time has progressed I am now more involved in church, I am part of providing meals ministry and who knows where God will lead me. I have been praying for both my husband and I to be a team and grow together. I believe the Lord will grant the desire of my heart, if it is according to His will.

I hope and pray that you make a decision which you can live with for the remainder of your life. A decision where you are not going to look back and regret. A decision that glorifies and honours God above all things. Please consider all the consequences, practical and spiritual ones. May you have peace.

:love:Calluna

I would like to thank you all for your kind replies, thoughts and prayers to my situation. I have been reading them, but I am just taking time out from this for a few days.

What I do know is, that I need to spend more time focussing on God so I don't resort to following the flesh.

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Staff Member
I would like to thank you all for your kind replies, thoughts and prayers to my situation. I have been reading them, but I am just taking time out from this for a few days.

What I do know is, that I need to spend more time focussing on God so I don't resort to following the flesh.

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Dear Word of Life,

You are so right sister. Yes, we all need to spend more time focussing on God in Christ Jesus the Lord, instead of the flesh.

Also, we need to see much more the Word as it is .... as spiritual food, and we must come to the place of reading and understanding in it's spiritual context, as well as see the things in our lives and the lives of others from a spiritual view.
It seems there are many easy ways to size up other peoples actions from a fleshy viewpoint and analysis. This is unfortunate and also shallow. Many times the advice we seek or the advice we are given can be limited to the realms of flesh, but presented as spiritual.

I hope you are well, sister and I trust that all is coming clearer and you are getting more peace about your situation.
Remember that the temporary things are just that. Let us look beyond to the eternal, with Jesus as Christ and King of Kings.

Bless you,

Br. Bear

Sister dear sister
you'll never know how much I can relate to your situation, I have in fact left my husband just over a month ago, BIG MISTAKE, I say so, because it has taken me this time, just over 6 weeks, to find that out, I never just up and left him, but we were going through ANOTHER trial, and at the same time my Mum took unwell, she was very ill, we had thought it maybe Swine Flu, praise God it wasnt, I told my husband I have to move in to look after Mum, as my Dad is dead, so while I was there after the 4th day I realized this is peace perfect peace, I had experienced what it was that I wanted, and I just couldn't return to commence were we'd left off, I was getting told off for a letter I'd wrote to his bother's woman, they had been staying with us on a holiday and I had to warn her of what I knew to be true regarding her relationship with him, it all went pear shaped when he read my letter and my husband then kicked of at me, I did write a letter of apologie to his brother, I never wanted to hurt him but I couldn't let Tracy be hurt either especially when I knew his brother wasn't being truthful to her.
Shouldve did nothing really looking back, just caused much pain for myself.
But read 1 Corithians 13, it was given to me as a revelation just last night while I was asleep it woke me up.
It's a love chapter, and explains in detail what we can achieve in love.
Love, and this was my mistake also, it is a 'DOING' word, an ACTION, it doesn't necessarily have to be romantic love, thats all well and great, but it's in our actions and words we show love to our spouse.
I am returning home to my husband of 37yrs at the end of this month and I cant' wait.
He has learnt a few things also by this short seperation, I did get my own rented place.
The Lord Jesus doesnt want us married couples to be apart, He can work it out if we obey and are willing to let Him.
My husband unlike yours is not saved YET, so it is more difficult a situation to be in.
But Jesus will prevail, stand back and watch Him do so, have faith, let go and let God sister.
Please pray that He will change 'us' that is were the key lays.
Then all else will follow.
Amen, I will pray also, please keep me in yours too, thank you.