• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Speaking in Tongues: Its Origin [Ancient and Modern] , Purpose, and Power

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
@amadeus2 -- and Scripture also says that at times when we don't know How to pray that one of the things the Holy Spirit does is 'interpret' our inner groanings to God -- hopefully that doesn't sound like I'm discrediting Your experience. Because that is between you and God.

hmm -- Maybe that's what the one older genteman in that church Was doing -- maybe I was hearing his 'prayer language'?!
I don't worry too much any more about people trying to discredit me. They may doubt or disbelieve, but no one can take away my testimony and my connection with God... but me and I certainly don't plan to do that.

I don't openly or routinely praying in tongues where people can hear me, but sometimes when prayer is needed, I'll pray wherever I happen to be. Even if I keep it down to a whisper, anyone close or watching will usually know what I am doing. I am not ashamed of my connection with God.

@Christ4Ever -- I had to lol at your comments about your Spanish. Sounds like she Couldn't fail you. But you Had to take it for all 4 years -- that was a requirement? Surely you didn't upset her on Purpose.

When I was in high school a person had to take Latin in order to try to get into nursing. And, of course, Latin was Greek mythology. And we were supposed to try to learn Latin and the Greek mythology I never Could get into. I was horrible and was able to drop it after 6 weeks. My Mom and sister were both nurses and I wanted to Try to do the same, I really liked hospitals at the time. Well -- decided that a course in Medical terminology was be helpful. That's where a person Really gets in to Latin. But in the medical context, it was interesting. And I finally Did understand the 'root' part of those big medical words. Enjoyed it but never did anything more with it. that was usually tied in to transcription, and That is 'another story'.

My husband had to take Greek in Bible college -- the 1st try he flunked really bad. He handed in the one of the exams and said "it's Greek to me". The second try went much better.
Nothing but Spanish was offered in my little high school. When I went off to college and decided to change my major to foreign languages the Latin was needed so I took 3 semesters. I've never used it for anything after getting out of school. Since I graduated from college in 1971, it is mostly all gone from my memory although I still have the Latin-English paperback dictionary I bought in those days. The Spanish and German I used regularly in my work for many years and now I keep them fresh by my Bible reading.

Active
I didn't mean to discredit your relationship to God. I do a Lot of 'inner praying' and I Do bow my head briefly before eating. These days 'especially' we Need to honor God as much as we can. Individually put God back in the public arena.

Salvation gives us eternal connection to God / With God that no one can take away. We can be thankful for that. He's promised to Never leave us or forsake us. Even when we do mess up.

There Are some people who can put on a 'good show' -- they Can live a pretty good life and then something happens and they 'turn away' -- well -- chances Are that they were never Really There in the 1st place. That's why it never hurts any To bring up spiritual stuff in conversation once in a while -- get their reaction. Sometimes a person Is a believer and you Can have good fellowshipping together. And sometimes - with believers -- there Are certain beliefs that Are held and people Can agree To disagree. Unity is wonderful -- but sometimes there's Disunity because of one thing or another. Instead of continuing in Disunity -- sometimes it's better to form another group which can Then - once again - enjoy Unity.

Actually , learning another language can be a fun experience. A guy I've known for a while, he Had been Big into Spanish - - taught it in high school for some years. Then life happened and that got left behind. Now he's into tennis and he's been big in That. But our brains can use some stimulation -- good discussion, playing around with Spanish.

I'm part Swedish and German = half and half. Never had learned any of those languages. I Do live in a strong Chek/ RCC community. Chek Heritage is still strong around here. And no, I'm neither of those. But there's a small Baptist church around the corner from us. We Did help there for a while. Pastors come and go in that church. They try to reach out into the community and after a while give up. Or they stay and collect a small pay check and preach to a small group of people. I've been going to a different town to a church that teaches doctrine and still uses hymnals. There Are still people who like the good, old-fashioned Gospel hymns -- lots of doctrine in some of the older songs.

Since there's Lots of Spanish around, that's where my interest is.

Loyal
I didn't mean to discredit your relationship to God. I do a Lot of 'inner praying' and I Do bow my head briefly before eating. These days 'especially' we Need to honor God as much as we can. Individually put God back in the public arena.

Salvation gives us eternal connection to God / With God that no one can take away. We can be thankful for that. He's promised to Never leave us or forsake us. Even when we do mess up.

There Are some people who can put on a 'good show' -- they Can live a pretty good life and then something happens and they 'turn away' -- well -- chances Are that they were never Really There in the 1st place. That's why it never hurts any To bring up spiritual stuff in conversation once in a while -- get their reaction. Sometimes a person Is a believer and you Can have good fellowshipping together. And sometimes - with believers -- there Are certain beliefs that Are held and people Can agree To disagree. Unity is wonderful -- but sometimes there's Disunity because of one thing or another. Instead of continuing in Disunity -- sometimes it's better to form another group which can Then - once again - enjoy Unity.

Actually , learning another language can be a fun experience. A guy I've known for a while, he Had been Big into Spanish - - taught it in high school for some years. Then life happened and that got left behind. Now he's into tennis and he's been big in That. But our brains can use some stimulation -- good discussion, playing around with Spanish.

I'm part Swedish and German = half and half. Never had learned any of those languages. I Do live in a strong Chek/ RCC community. Chek Heritage is still strong around here. And no, I'm neither of those. But there's a small Baptist church around the corner from us. We Did help there for a while. Pastors come and go in that church. They try to reach out into the community and after a while give up. Or they stay and collect a small pay check and preach to a small group of people. I've been going to a different town to a church that teaches doctrine and still uses hymnals. There Are still people who like the good, old-fashioned Gospel hymns -- lots of doctrine in some of the older songs.

Since there's Lots of Spanish around, that's where my interest is.
I don't press my service to God too hard at people, but I do watch for open doors. I don't like to argue, but a good discussion about the things of God is good for us. The problem of course is some people cannot seem to stand it if they cannot change your mind about something. While, we can help, or we can be used by God... only God gives any real increase in what we know about Him. This would include changing our minds if it really is necessary to our growth toward Him.

You mentioned tennis and it brought back good memories as I always loved to play. I only played with friends for recreation, never for any team or school or such. It has been years since I was able to do anything requiring that kind of physical exertion. Now, it's my Bibles, Christian forums, my stamp collection and my music. My wife and I twice a day play two handed card games for an hour or so and occasionally we go out for a meal. Too much heat or too much cold is too much for both of us anymore. I used to do a lot of work around the church we attended, but that also had to stop quite a while back. We moved to an apartment complex because I collapsed once in our yard trying to keep it up. I could not do it any more. But... give God the glory for such as we have.

Staff Member
@Christ4Ever -- I had to lol at your comments about your Spanish. Sounds like she Couldn't fail you. But you Had to take it for all 4 years -- that was a requirement? Surely you didn't upset her on Purpose.

When I was in high school a person had to take Latin in order to try to get into nursing. And, of course, Latin was Greek mythology. And we were supposed to try to learn Latin and the Greek mythology I never Could get into. I was horrible and was able to drop it after 6 weeks. My Mom and sister were both nurses and I wanted to Try to do the same, I really liked hospitals at the time. Well -- decided that a course in Medical terminology was be helpful. That's where a person Really gets in to Latin. But in the medical context, it was interesting. And I finally Did understand the 'root' part of those big medical words. Enjoyed it but never did anything more with it. that was usually tied in to transcription, and That is 'another story'.

My husband had to take Greek in Bible college -- the 1st try he flunked really bad. He handed in the one of the exams and said "it's Greek to me". The second try went much better.
[/QUOTE]

At the time I attended school, we had two choices for a language, Spanish or French. I thought Spanish would be an easy "A" since I talked it at home! Little did I know what was in store for me!!! This teacher is one of the few names that I remember from those days. Not an easy one to remember either "Mrs. Rubinski" :smile: It really came down to my lack of respect by talking back to her, on why she failed me for those 3 years. Thinking I was all that, I raised my hand to answer a question she had posed to the class. I do believe I answered it correctly, but her response instead of acknowledging my fluidity in Spanish, I received a totally unexpected response of "You speak Spanish improperly. If you were to go to Spain they wouldn't understand you." Grrrrrrrr At least that is how I felt upon hearing her words. So, being the know it all/thick headed youngin I was, answered "You come down to my neighborhood and say that!". And so began my 3 years of Spanish 1. The only year I passed was, the final one, when she wasn't my teacher, and they had to use the French teacher for Spanish!!! I of course was the teachers pet that year!!

As a side note for my teacher Mrs. Rubinski. Years later I was stationed in Spain for 4 years and had no issue communicating with the locals! :smile:

Love your husband's response of "It's Greek to me"!!! hahahahaha! A man after my own heart!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
………………...
As a side note for my teacher Mrs. Rubinski. Years later I was stationed in Spain for 4 years and had no issue communicating with the locals! :smile:

YBIC
Nick
<><
I was a student for a year [1969-1970] in West Berlin and my only Spanish class was taught by a Mexican. All of the Germans in the class spoke with the Castillano accent of Spain as all rest pof their teachers were from Spain. I had a good relationship with my Mexican because we both spoke with a Mexican accent [no "th" sound for "c"s and "z"s. During my year there I went to Spain about three times and in spite of my Mexican accent I also got along fine. That was long ago and far away.

Active

At the time I attended school, we had two choices for a language, Spanish or French. I thought Spanish would be an easy "A" since I talked it at home! Little did I know what was in store for me!!! This teacher is one of the few names that I remember from those days. Not an easy one to remember either "Mrs. Rubinski" :smile: It really came down to my lack of respect by talking back to her, on why she failed me for those 3 years. Thinking I was all that, I raised my hand to answer a question she had posed to the class. I do believe I answered it correctly, but her response instead of acknowledging my fluidity in Spanish, I received a totally unexpected response of "You speak Spanish improperly. If you were to go to Spain they wouldn't understand you." Grrrrrrrr At least that is how I felt upon hearing her words. So, being the know it all/thick headed youngin I was, answered "You come down to my neighborhood and say that!". And so began my 3 years of Spanish 1. The only year I passed was, the final one, when she wasn't my teacher, and they had to use the French teacher for Spanish!!! I of course was the teachers pet that year!!

Love your husband's response of "It's Greek to me"!!! hahahahaha! A man after my own heart!

YBIC
Nick
<><
[/QUOTE]

I'm LOL at your post. You sound So Much like my husband would have. Teachers just Love students with ATTITUDE. -- love your description of yourself.

What I Have heard is that it's something like speaking English -- depending on the geographic area a person is in And the country. English can sound very different -- with a southern accent -- a Northern accent. In England or the U.S.

When we were first down here , I thought that 'Tyler and Taylor' were the same town -- Taylor with a very southern accent. Then someone said that they were different towns.

Hmmm , a French teacher for Spanish class -- That must have been Interesting.

Then again -- some years ago -- there was a summer school class for some upper level of Math. The teacher who was Supposed to teach it -- all of a sudden Couldn't. So -- a teacher with Some math background had to come in -- but it was a level Beyond where she'd ever taught. So -- she was Learning Just before she Taught. Every week. She was a 'quick study' but her one daughter who was pretty good with higher math, was helping her learn before she taught..

I think that your "Mrs. Rubinski" was My "Miss Watts". My thorn in my side was Math.

When I was a few years out of High school, I wanted to go to Bible college in a far away state where my sister and her husband were. And I thought -- having grown up in a Bible=teaching church how hard could Old Testament and New Testament Survey course be. And I found out that college level courses were a BIT different from high school and/ or my reading at my own pase. Never did learn speed reading and my grades showed it. And the course - The History of Western Civilization -- I wondered Who on earth ever thought up some of those courses. Now -- my husband and son Both had to take that same course -- and, of course, my Son Enjoyed it. And my husband would read at the last minute and get good grades, And Their reaction to Me was 'what was so hard about it'. Ya know - there are times when you'd just Love to 'punch' someone.

Anyway -- 'this' has been interest/ fun.

Staff Member

YBIC
Nick
<><
I'm LOL at your post. You sound So Much like my husband would have. Teachers just Love students with ATTITUDE. -- love your description of yourself.

What I Have heard is that it's something like speaking English -- depending on the geographic area a person is in And the country. English can sound very different -- with a southern accent -- a Northern accent. In England or the U.S.

When we were first down here , I thought that 'Tyler and Taylor' were the same town -- Taylor with a very southern accent. Then someone said that they were different towns.

Hmmm , a French teacher for Spanish class -- That must have been Interesting.

Then again -- some years ago -- there was a summer school class for some upper level of Math. The teacher who was Supposed to teach it -- all of a sudden Couldn't. So -- a teacher with Some math background had to come in -- but it was a level Beyond where she'd ever taught. So -- she was Learning Just before she Taught. Every week. She was a 'quick study' but her one daughter who was pretty good with higher math, was helping her learn before she taught..

I think that your "Mrs. Rubinski" was My "Miss Watts". My thorn in my side was Math.

When I was a few years out of High school, I wanted to go to Bible college in a far away state where my sister and her husband were. And I thought -- having grown up in a Bible=teaching church how hard could Old Testament and New Testament Survey course be. And I found out that college level courses were a BIT different from high school and/ or my reading at my own pase. Never did learn speed reading and my grades showed it. And the course - The History of Western Civilization -- I wondered Who on earth ever thought up some of those courses. Now -- my husband and son Both had to take that same course -- and, of course, my Son Enjoyed it. And my husband would read at the last minute and get good grades, And Their reaction to Me was 'what was so hard about it'. Ya know - there are times when you'd just Love to 'punch' someone.

Anyway -- 'this' has been interest/ fun.
Loved it Sister! Especially the one about sometimes wanting to 'punch' someone!!! I'm sure both of them were grinning when they said 'what was so hard about it' LOL
You're right this has been fun! You too Brother @amadeus2 The Mexicans I met down in Texas, would love to hear me speak Spanish!!! They used to have a good laugh. All in fun of course! :smile:
Thanks for sharing.

The Body of Christ has commonalities, while at the same time a variety, that I would say is the spice of life. Which makes fellowship in Christ Jesus so interesting and a blessing to have.

Gob Bless you dear brother & sister in Christ Jesus.
Nick
<><

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jaboyle100 Devotionals 6
Lovely Bible Discussions 40
O Bible Discussions 106