• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Speaking in Tongues: A Sign for Nonbelievers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What advantage would one gain if a word is spoken and no one understood what was being said?
The word spoken would not benefit anyone, correct?

Some individuals in the church community believe unidentifiable speech is a sign from God, even saying that it is a requirement for salvation.

Yet, I Corinthians the 14th chapter in the 33rd verse it states, "God is not the author of confusion."

What is the opposite of confusion?

Something that is clear or easy to understand.

After reading through this study, one will see that there is no
confusion in the Bible on the above topic.

But, those that do not read the Bible and tell others that they must speak in an unknown tongue to receive salvation; they are in the state of confusion.

Last edited:

]Let’s begin this study in Acts the 2nd chapter, at the first verse and see if we can get a clear understanding of what happened on the day of Pentecost.

And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. (Acts 2: 1-2)

Here the apostles are observing the Day of Pentecost, and suddenly a rushing mighty wind came in to the house.

So, what exactly is this rushing mighty wind?

it has to be some type of note worthy information or it would not be in the verse.

Let’s see if we can find an example in the Word of God, of a "rushing mighty wind."

Last edited:

In the next set of scriptures David inquires of God, asking, should he go out to war against the Philistines?

Take note of what takes place after the Lord informs David what he should do.

And the Philistines yet again spread themselves abroad in the valley. Therefore David inquired again of God; and God said unto him, Go not up after them; turn away from them, and come upon them over against the mulberry trees. And it shall be, when thou shalt hear a sound of going in the tops of the mulberry trees, that then thou shalt go out to battle: for God is gone forth before thee to smite the host of the Philistines. (1 Chronicles 14: 13-15)

Note what’s being stated, "When thou shalt hear a sound of going in the tops of the mulberry trees, that then thou shalt go out to battle."

In other words, when you hear a rushing mighty wind in the top of the mulberry trees go out against them.

Let’s take a look at another example before we find out who, or what this wind is.

Take note!

Last edited:

The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. (John 3: 8)

Jesus gives an excellent example as usual.

Everyone that is born of the spirit is like the wind, we can hear the sound of the wind, but we cannot tell where it came from or where it’s going.

In other words we cannot see the wind nor can we see a spirit, unless they want to be seen.

But, Acts the second chapter tells us exactly where the rushing mighty wind came from and that was Heaven.

So, we have just learned something, meaning a spirit is like the wind. Now, let’s look at the third verse in Acts 2.

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. (Acts 2:3)

Hi Ozell,

Following your current line of reasoning, finding things in the bible to tell us what the mighty wind is by finding other verses to define wind for us, we could both conclude that the 'mighty rushing wind' was the Holy Spirit and that it could not be the Holy Spirit. There is evidence for both.

As you already noted in the 1 Chr passage. The wind going through the tree tops was the Lord going before them into battle. The Holy Spirit right?

Then of course we have 1 Kings 19:11 which states that God isn't in the mighty rushing wind. Not the Holy Spirit.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:

Plus you spoke of the wind coming from heaven possibly to imply that it was the Holy Spirit as he would come from heaven. But the text doesn't explicitly state which of the 3 heavens it came from. Every wind that we experience comes from heaven.

Speaking in tongues is a gift from the Holy Spirit 1 Cor 12:10.

1 Corinthians 13, the chapter on Love has a lot to say about the subject at hand.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Love is eternal. Prophecies, tongues and knowledge are temporal to aid believers in their tasks.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Prophesying, a way to understand the will of God, witch was incomplete would be replaced by something that is complete.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

An Illustration to help us understand this replacement contrasting the mind of a child who has little understanding to the mind of an adult who has a much better understanding.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

More contrasts between the old prophesying and the new complete method of understanding God's will.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

After discussing the need for the things that are only partial to be replaced by something that is complete, Paul lets his readers know that the things to continue are faith, hope and charity (love) as they will not be replaced.

Some have suggested that this replacement happens after death in heaven. Being with Jesus would mean no need for prophesy or knowledge given by the Holy Ghost or a need for tongues. This view doesn't make sense in light of faith and hope abiding. There will be no need for hope in heaven as all of my hope will have been realized.

Others have said it speaks of the second coming of Christ as he is perfect and there will be no need for prophesy, knowledge or tongues in the kingdom after he comes. One problem with this view is the word perfect from the verse. τέλειον is in the neuter gender which implies that it is likely to be an inanimate object. Mat 5:48 uses the word perfect to describe the Father in heaven and it is in the masculine gender that one would expect when speaking about God. τέλειοι.

Another view is that the perfect is the Word of God that we have today. This view best suits the context of the word. The bible would be the perfect (mature) replacement for prophesying and knowledge given by the Spirit. The bible is the all sufficient word of God. It is then to be thought that tongues ceased to function after the completion of the last scripture.

With this understanding, any church or christian that says they speak in tongues would be mistaken. Or that we must speak in tongues to be saved. As for having to speak in tongues to be saved, Paul asks the question "do all speak in tongues?". In Greek there is a way to understand the answer to the question when the expected answer is 'no'. The word 'μὴ' a negative particle meaning 'not'. So Paul is actually asking a question he expects to be answered 'no'. So then these who say it is necessary for salvation are going against the pure word of God.

Great study Ozell,

Gary

So, once the wind came in, there appeared unto them cloven tongues of fire and it sat by each one of them. Cloven tongues like as of fire?

What could that possibly be?

Let’s cut to the chase and find out exactly what this is.

Take note.

Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty. Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain: Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind: Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire: (Psalms 104: 1-4)

Remember, Jesus states in St. John the third chapter in the 8th verse, "The wind bloweth, thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh: so is every one that is born of the Spirit".

In Acts chapter 2 in the 3rd verse it states, "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire.

The 104th Psalms states, "Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire".

Therefore, the rushing mighty wind and the tongues of fire, were simply a large number of angels coming into the house. Now, let’s return to the 2nd chapter of Acts and pick up where we left off.

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2: 4)

Last edited:
Remember, Jesus states in St. John the third chapter in the 8th verse, "The wind bloweth, thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh: so is every one that is born of the Spirit".

In Acts chapter 2 in the 3rd verse it states, "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire.

The 104th Psalms states, "Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire".

Therefore, the rushing mighty wind and the tongues of fire, were simply a large number of angels coming into the house. Now, let’s return to the 2nd chapter of Acts and pick up where we left off.

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2: 4)

You seem to have skipped over the "cloven tongues" which is the noun or subject of the sentence and instead covering the adjective "fire".

Well in the Pentecostal and Assembly of God churches, what I see is very simple.

Some yahoo or yahoos start talking some kind of baby talk and foaming at the mouth I have considered offering them rabies shots. Giggle.....a little humor .......Lol! Then at some point some other yahoo will do their interpretation thing and in more giberish interpret some saying by the first yahoo and I still cannot comprehend a word of it. But they tell me it is for me, a message just for me, and I should believe it.......yea right. They also fall over backwards and twitch in the spirit and in West Virginia and other places and churches also do dances with snakes and drink poison and say...........so sad once in awhile we do lose a member when the snake strikes. Ya think......best head for the emergency room....

To me Satan has great fun in those churches on Sunday. They cast our so many demons that the real demon has a great time covering up their eyes and filling all of them with demons. Lol~ Oh My.......

To me a true message of tongues if and when it does occur would be like a German or Frenchman or Hispanic talking to me in their language or mine, or whatever but one thing for sure I can and would and will be able to understand exactly what is said.

hallie.....thsorss alsforotis htudhe kthso , efliusis, hsoehfd, 0osiifiks

dkhtosls......

I have seen Benny Hinn speak in tongues on T.V. And there is another one who does too, I have yet to understand one word of it. I have noticed they also do not wear a rabies vaccine tag..Lol!

So what did I say. I myself do not have a clue, but it makes as much sense as they do. Please forgive me for messing around....it is all just totally silly to me. Ha!

Kit

I do have the gift of speaking in tongues. I have seen this subjest cause a great debate over many years. I have witnessed soild Christian leaders in the Assembly of God say they speak in tongues. I agree to subject new Christians, or for that matter older Christians, to the notion that they must speak in tongues to prove they are born again is not Biblical.

How do we as Christians reach a common ground in which we can work together in some kind og harmony? As solidly as I am on my belief that tongues is not required for complete salvation, so are those who believe the other way. Is there any resolution between the two view points?

There has been and most likely will always be distance between these two groups in the beliefe about tongues. But, the Bible clearly says we are to love one another. What do communities do about working in ministry with a community of beleivers> Do we call tongue talkers a culy? No way do we disfellowship with each other. Our common bond is the Lord Jesus Christ. Sure there are some abrasive edges between the two views.

The key to fellowship is allow each other freedon to disagree without being disagreeable. We need to be sensitive to being loving to each other, ans showing the love we have for eacher, so those watching us will see the Lord Jesus working within our community of believers.

Well in the Pentecostal and Assembly of God churches, what I see is very simple.

Some yahoo or yahoos start talking some kind of baby talk and foaming at the mouth I have considered offering them rabies shots. Giggle.....a little humor .......Lol! Then at some point some other yahoo will do their interpretation thing and in more giberish interpret some saying by the first yahoo and I still cannot comprehend a word of it. But they tell me it is for me, a message just for me, and I should believe it.......yea right. They also fall over backwards and twitch in the spirit and in West Virginia and other places and churches also do dances with snakes and drink poison and say...........so sad once in awhile we do lose a member when the snake strikes. Ya think......best head for the emergency room....

To me Satan has great fun in those churches on Sunday. They cast our so many demons that the real demon has a great time covering up their eyes and filling all of them with demons. Lol~ Oh My.......

To me a true message of tongues if and when it does occur would be like a German or Frenchman or Hispanic talking to me in their language or mine, or whatever but one thing for sure I can and would and will be able to understand exactly what is said.

hallie.....thsorss alsforotis htudhe kthso , efliusis, hsoehfd, 0osiifiks

dkhtosls......

I have seen Benny Hinn speak in tongues on T.V. And there is another one who does too, I have yet to understand one word of it. I have noticed they also do not wear a rabies vaccine tag..Lol!

So what did I say. I myself do not have a clue, but it makes as much sense as they do. Please forgive me for messing around....it is all just totally silly to me. Ha!

Kit

And it does to many others but because you don't understand it does that mean it is baby talk as you put it or jiberish as others have called it?

If I said to you nisamehe pole hakuna matata (ki-swahili), because you don't understand what I said doesn't make it baby talk.

But people who aren't spiritual* can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. 1Cor. 2:14

For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, [fn] you will be talking only to God, since people won't be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, [fn] but it will all be mysterious. 1 Cor. 14:2

what do you think of these scriptures?

I do have the gift of speaking in tongues. I have seen this subjest cause a great debate over many years. I have witnessed soild Christian leaders in the Assembly of God say they speak in tongues. I agree to subject new Christians, or for that matter older Christians, to the notion that they must speak in tongues to prove they are born again is not Biblical.

How do we as Christians reach a common ground in which we can work together in some kind og harmony? As solidly as I am on my belief that tongues is not required for complete salvation, so are those who believe the other way. Is there any resolution between the two view points?

There has been and most likely will always be distance between these two groups in the beliefe about tongues. But, the Bible clearly says we are to love one another. What do communities do about working in ministry with a community of beleivers> Do we call tongue talkers a culy? No way do we disfellowship with each other. Our common bond is the Lord Jesus Christ. Sure there are some abrasive edges between the two views.

The key to fellowship is allow each other freedon to disagree without being disagreeable. We need to be sensitive to being loving to each other, ans showing the love we have for eacher, so those watching us will see the Lord Jesus working within our community of believers.

I am with you on the fact that we need to Love one another and strive for unity within the body of Christ. The problem is that you and I were born in a time 2000 years after Satan began polluting the church with his heresies. None of the denominations (sects) of our day teach the same as another sect of Christianity. There is an ecumenical movement that is striving to put what they call 'minor' differences in doctrine aside for the sake of unity. This is umbilical.

Thank you so much Fallen for inspiring me to study deeper into the word of God seeking for truth. I learned something today that I didn't previously know. The word for 'heresy' and 'sect' are the same in the bible. Acts 15:5 speaks of a certain 'sect' of the Pharisees (heretics) who caused trouble with the law. We are told to admonish a heretic twice and then reject (refuse or avoid) him.

Although I want nothing more than to see Gods people as an inseparable body, Gods word does not allow for it when error is involved. He tells us that the heretic is condemned of himself Ti 3:11. In 2 Tim 2:17-26 Gives us instruction and example of dealing with error. Explaining to us that those who are in error are caught in a snare of the devil. Paul tells Timothy that there are both honorable and dishonorable people within the body of Christ and only those who purge themselves from false doctrine are honorable.

So where does that leave us? Your doctrinal belief is that tongues are still in operation within the church and are as relevant today as they were 2000 years ago. You teach that it is not needed for salvation. With this in mind, those that teach otherwise are heretics to you. You are commanded by the word of God to admonish them twice and then reject them.

The bible says tongues will in and of themselves cease to function when that which is mature is come 1 Cor 13 along with prophecy and knowledge. So what might 'replace' the need for tongues, prophecy and knowledge that is more mature than they? Tongues are a sign to unbelievers, prophecy and knowledge are to edify the church. If Christ were that witch is mature and we were speaking of the second coming then tongues wouldn't have a mature upgrade as unbelievers would be destroyed not given a sign to believe by. The church will no longer need edification as they will all have been made perfect as of Christs coming.

How is it that you then interpret 1 Cor 13? If I am a heretic by preaching that tongues have ceased to function, the please by all means help me to recover myself out of the snare of the devil so that we can have biblical fellowship.

In love through Christ my Lord

Gary

There is an ecumenical movement that is striving to put what they call 'minor' differences in doctrine aside for the sake of unity. This is umbilical.

My spell checker did the same thing to me recently. : p Umbilical is probably an apt word to describe how different factions of the "Church" feed from the Word and hopefully mature into the Body. I wish this were true.

Nice typo.

And it does to many others but because you don't understand it does that mean it is baby talk as you put it or jiberish as others have called it?

If I said to you nisamehe pole hakuna matata (ki-swahili), because you don't understand what I said doesn't make it baby talk.

But people who aren't spiritual* can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. 1Cor. 2:14

For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, [fn] you will be talking only to God, since people won't be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, [fn] but it will all be mysterious. 1 Cor. 14:2

what do you think of these scriptures?

Good Evening:

To speak to God is fine, but as one reads the entire chapter, it says that basically God is not confusion, disorganization and or disorder. That tongues are a sign to the unbeliever, but if witnessed can also cause them to run away......
So it says to keep silent with that, unless there is someone present that can understand and comprehend and convey this to the one or ones wondering what has been said.

Having said this, I myself trust no man on earth, no further than I can throw them, so why would I believe anything that I cannot understand in my own given language? They can and have and will say almost anything to suit themselves.

You see I myself can and do at times speak in tongues in prayer or in question, but I have no real idea of what I have said, not a clue, so what sense does it make??

My first experience with this was in a Pentecostal Church in Liberty, Missouri. As a matter of fact myself and my wife were baptized in that church. And along the way, they showed me how extreme they could be, and tried to use that tongues and interpretation of tongues to say I had married a woman not of my race, and religion and she was the devil for sure. If I was to ever be saved I needed to get out of this marriage. All nonsense, but hey at the time I did not know, I was just scared. Divorce is also against God, but extreme religion is of Satan. Of this I am sure of.

Well I saw the light on that stuff and we have been married now for 32 years. Sometimes they were right, she is a devil. Lol!! That same chapter says for all women to remain silent and not speak in church , she is definitely not silent Kit when you gonna finish the sunroom" Can you tile the floor for your oldest son?? I dunno I cannot hear you.....Lol!

I know the message of the gifts of the spirit remain. What is to be perfect has not come yet. That will be when Jesus comes. And that we have faith, hope and love. When Jesus does come hope will die as we will be where we need to be and no more need for hope, as will faith be gone as we will see God, faith will no longer be needed, but love will remain.

In summary, this is a situation very much abused and misused today. If I or anyone cannot understand what is said, and with the knowledge that others will mislead you on purpose or for their own agenda, then to me public speaking in tongues is useless and to be mistrusted. If I cannot understand what someone says, it is to me totally useless. And I for sure will never trust some other human to interpret anything as fact. I learned that lesson long ago, they had me scared and seeing demons behind every bush.

I have since grown and like I said, can and do sometimes speak in tongues while in prayer or thought, normally just to myself or by myself.

But as I advised a young man on here a week or so ago, beware of the situation, a new person will become scared and may never accept God at all. It may open the door for total rejection. So I keep my rabies vaccine all ready to go....never mind me I love to be silly sometimes. It makes the world go by......

For example if a person gets mad in the church parking lot over a fender bender, this is not a Demon, it is us, our own spirit and for a brief time before the spirit of God calms us....we can be angry. So to get that person and convict them they have a Demon of Anger in them, and cast it our and speak in tongues and scare them to death....they may never be back . Lol~

Some of it is real. Most of it is not. It is highly abused and mis used.
So I hold to speak with your spirit and remain silent in church. If what I have to say no one can understand, what use it is at all? All it does is create disorder and confusion. And what can that accomplish?

My personal experience with this leads me to believe that much of this is self induced. It may even be demonic , and my experience in that particular church certainly was. It has always been my interpretation of speaking in tongues was to mean to speak in a strange language but to speak clearly and in an understandable way. But I will in the next couple days study this really hard and ask God for guidance. I have up to this point mostly dismissed it all as false and with no purpose for anyone if you cannot understand it. And since my experience with it , greatly mistrust it all. Even my own occasional babbling makes no sense to me, how can I speak to God if I know not what I say?? So if something is unintelglient to me, or anyone who hears, what purpose can it serve and what would its meaning be?....Now if you are German or Italian and I know your language that I did not know and I can speak to you clearly this has always been my idea of this. .....so will have to study this one carefully.

Oh I do not understand part of your message. but nisamehe is I do not understand. And if I do not understand, it means nothing to me. Not said in disrespect......simply is useless.

Kit

Last edited:
There is more than one kind of speaking in tongues. I myself speak in tongues and those who do not do so may not have any idea of what it is like so to judge it is not a good idea.

I know I have spoken when it was just for me and also when it was for others. I don't have a clue what I say, BUT I do know where it is coming from and God knows what I say. Holy Spirit knows what I say. Sometimes what I speak in an unknown tongue is the only thing I can say.

I know for a fact that I do not speak jibberish or whatever. I know for a fact that what I say is not for me to know, but I must obey when the Spirit moves me to speak.

God's ways are higher than ours and His thoughts higher than ours. Why is speaking in tongues any different from that?

Here is part of what I mean found in 1 Corinthians 12:1-11.

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that[a] you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

I believe that I speak (or sing) only to God sometimes when I speak in tongues. Then, there is the time that I speak for all to hear...sometimes in a loud voice in prayer only to God (usually the Spirit can tell this and will give an interpretation if needed!) or for ALL to be edified and then the interpretation is given to someone.

I KNOW I have the gift of "different kinds of tongues", BUT as far as I know I do not have the gift of interpretation of tongues.

I didn't grow up with this being taught that we can actually have it now! When I received it, it was amazing.

I call the one only for God/Jesus/Holy Spirit my prayer language. If that is wrong, I mean no offense.

Here is part of what I mean found in 1 Corinthians 12:1-11.

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that[a] you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

I believe that I speak (or sing) only to God sometimes when I speak in tongues. Then, there is the time that I speak for all to hear...sometimes in a loud voice in prayer only to God (usually the Spirit can tell this and will give an interpretation if needed!) or for ALL to be edified and then the interpretation is given to someone.

I KNOW I have the gift of "different kinds of tongues", BUT as far as I know I do not have the gift of interpretation of tongues.

I didn't grow up with this being taught that we can actually have it now! When I received it, it was amazing.

I call the one only for God/Jesus/Holy Spirit my prayer language. If that is wrong, I mean no offense.

Thank you, that clears up what you meant.

I am curious. What do you think the bible meant by the following:

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity

What is "that which is perfect"?

What does it mean tongues will cease? When?

If your right and tongues still are in operation then I need to know. I don't want to be a heretic preaching falsely. But if your wrong and tongues have ceased to function then I want to make sure you have the opportunity to get away from what ever it is that your into.

I pray that God will not allow any of us to be deceived not even by our own deceitful hearts.

Gary

Active

RJ

Thank you, that clears up what you meant.

I am curious. What do you think the bible meant by the following:

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity

If your right and tongues still are in operation then I need to know. I don't want to be a heretic preaching falsely. But if your wrong and tongues have ceased to function then I want to make sure you have the opportunity to get away from what ever it is that your into.

I pray that God will not allow any of us to be deceived not even by our own deceitful hearts.

Gary

This part of 1 Cor 13 is talking about the Christian who dies in the flesh.

When we die our imperfection leaves and before God ( face to face) we are glorified and become perfect. Though I do not speak in tongues, it stiil exists as a spritual gift. But, after death and in heaven there is no need of tongues and no need of phrophecy.

This part of 1 Cor 13 is talking about the Christian who dies in the flesh.

When we die our imperfection leaves and before God ( face to face) we are glorified and become perfect. Though I do not speak in tongues, it stiil exists as a spritual gift. But, after death and in heaven there is no need of tongues and no need of phrophecy.

Now that gives me something to consider. Thanks RJ

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.