• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Speaking ill to others

Loyal
James 4:11-12
Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

James 1:26
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Ephesians 4:31
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

To me these versus also go along with how to treat all people including our enemies.

Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Romans 12:14
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.

Man o man do I fall short of these things, I ask my Heavenly father in Jesus name to Continue to change my heart and thank you for the changes you have made in Jesus Name I pray.

Active
James 4:11-12
Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

James 1:26
If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Ephesians 4:31
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

To me these versus also go along with how to treat all people including our enemies.

Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Romans 12:14
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.

Man o man do I fall short of these things, I ask my Heavenly father in Jesus name to Continue to change my heart and thank you for the changes you have made in Jesus Name I pray.

I know that even warning a believer of the consequence of what they are doing has led one to accuse me of cursing that believer when I did no such thing.

It was not in this forum, but just an example for how just warning someone of the consequence for what they are doing can be taken as a curse. I think that is wrong to do that because then that person who claims such a thing cannot warn any other believer of the consequences of their actions or for living in sin for by that standard of judgment towards me, that person is cursing.

The Bible of the N.T. has given enough warnings and judgments of what is good and evil that it is not we who are judging as in correcting, but the scripture.

But I agree with you in that we should not cast pearls to those that have made up their minds about something that to reprove any part of their testimony per the scripture and why, will seem like a personal attack or even cursing them, I guess, and they do get upset or mad.

So I reckon certain believers are to be avoided as led by Him because they are not open to correction by the scripture. This is something I have to lean on Jesus for in these latter days where faith is hard to find and yet...

Ephesians 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

I think christian forums is beginning to look like walking in a mine field or something. May the Lord help us both in following Him.

Active
Jesus4me were you speaking of other christian forums, not this one. This one is IMHO the best Ive encountered so far, the mods are very good if they see someone being rude or disrespectful toward brothers and sisters in Christ.

There is an ignore function here which you can use if someone seems like they harassing you, but report it to them if they dont listen to your reproof.

If your warning is scriptural that is fine wheras if you warning because you just dont like someone or just because they may not fully agree with your private interpretation of scripture then thats different.

Prophesy is important in the body of Christ. It is a spiritual gift and we are not to disregard it.

I do know the rc churches go in for cursing others who dont belong to them. Its in their doctrine. But not sure if they actually do it for real...however my experience is if anything is said against them they come down on you like a tonne of bricks, even if its the truth.

This is why catholics dont fellowship with non catholics, the doctrine is so different that they cant. Catholics would call non catholics 'protestant' or 'separated brethren' which is kind of strange since many were never part of them in the first place. Its very hard to go against something thats traditonal and established and ingrained in peoples culture. It would have been the same for jews, who were the most religious of israel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Active
Jesus4me were you speaking of other christian forums, not this one. This one is IMHO the best Ive encountered so far, the mods are very good if they see someone being rude or disrespectful toward brothers and sisters in Christ.

There is an ignore function here which you can use if someone seems like they harassing you, but report it to them if they dont listen to your reproof.

If your warning is scriptural that is fine whereas if you warning because you just dont like someone or just because they may not fully agree with your private interpretation of scripture then thats different.

Prophesy is important in the body of Christ. It is a spiritual gift and we are not to disregard it.

Don't you find it running against scripture when they promote to already saved believers to seek the second blessing by a sign of tongues when tongues were never to serve as a sign towards the believers for anything? 1 Corinthians 14:22 KJV

If you look today, it seems Paul's words fall on deaf ears because tongues is the desired gift over prophesy which is edification.

The second blessing is not promoted by seeking to receive the Holy Spirit by the gift of prophesy. Indeed, seeking that second blessing opposes Paul's warning for seeking after receiving Him again ( 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 KJV & 2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV )

I know many believers like to use Luke 11:9-13 as proof text that any saved believer can seek after the Holy Spirit after they had been saved, but if they acknowledged that He is already in them since salvation, then according to Luke 11:9-13, seeking to receive the Holy Spirit "again" would by His word, make the Father look evil as if He did not give you the Holy Spirit the first time.

And then you have Matthew's version of Luke 11:9-13 which replaces the "Holy Spirit" with "good things" for why I believe in context of Matthew 7:7-11 in comparison of Luke 11:9-13, Jesus is talking about the Father's promise for all those that seek the Truth and knock at the door of Jesus that they will be saved; the good things & the Holy Spirit together signifies eternal life with God.

So I do not see Luke 11:9-13 as a prompt for already saved believers to do in seeking after the Holy Spirit and certainly not after a sign of tongues, but Jesus is citing a promise from the Father about salvation for all those that seek, shall find..

There is no other calling; Ephesians 4:4-6 KJV There is no other drink of the One Spirit by which we all have been baptized by ( 1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV ) Having received the sanctification of the Spirit and the belief of the truth at the calling of the gospel is the traditions taught of us that we are to hold fast 2 Thessalonians 2;13-15 KJV To do otherwise is why this prophesy is coming true today ( 1 Timothy 4:1-2 KJV & Isaiah 8:19 KJV & 1 John 4:1 KJV & 1 John 4:5-6 KJV )

This is one of the expressed concern for the body of Christ and why even by showing the scriptures and applying them to expose the works of darkness by Him is why some take it personally about reproving their tongues for private use and how they got that tongue for private use and thereby get offended. John 7:7 KJV

Active
Im not promoting it. If you have already have salvation, you have the gift of tongues.

If you dont, then you need to work out your salvation. I dont know what you mean about a second blessing, God gives us many blessings. Remember when Jacob was wrestling with God? he said he wont let Him go until he blesses me.

When the disciples waited for the holy spirit, in the upper room at Pentecost, they received and spoke in tongues, Jesus had already promised them when he was on earth that he would go away and send the comforter. Read your bible in order. He sais wait to receive power from on high. They had only been water baptised, not holy spirit baptised yet.

Some people receive these at the same time, ideally should happen at the same time, but sometimes that doesnt happen, but thats only because some people dont ask. We dont ask for tongues, we just ask for the gift of the holy spirit in Jesus name. Its simple. If you dont agree, then that your issue but you going against scripture if you continue to protest. You grieve the holy spirit by throwing the gift away.

It you already saved then hallelujah, you dont need to ask again because you already using the gift. Its like, what do we still need to share the gospel even though people already heard it? Well yea! You never know who is in the room that might have NOT heard it before. And saved believers dont get tired of the gospel, so to forbid people from even talking about it is silly IMHO.

If you dont want to attend the kind of churches that are evangelising and have many new believers then dont. But dont put them down just cos you walked with the Lord for more years than they have

Active
Im not promoting it. If you have already have salvation, you have the gift of tongues.

If you dont, then you need to work out your salvation.

How is that not you promoting the idea that to ever believer that does not speak in tongues that if a believer is not speaking in tongues, they are not saved?

I disagree with you. Maybe you did not mean that, but in case you did, I totally and willfully disagree with you. Here is why.

1 Corinthians 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

And..

1 Corinthians 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Believers are not to use tongues as a sign that they are saved or as a sign that God is calling them into the ministry or as a sign that they had received the Holy Spirit apart from salvation ( which is an apostate calling BTW ). Tongues are to serve as a sign towards the unbelievers; not towards the believers.

Active
It you already saved then hallelujah, you dont need to ask again because you already using the gift. ....................

If you dont want to attend the kind of churches that are evangelising and have many new believers then dont. But dont put them down just cos you walked with the Lord for more years than they have.

Maybe you just can't see how you are putting every other believer down for not speaking in tongues as proof that they are not saved. That is why I put down that kind of tongue for private use because God would never used it for that purpose in dividing the body of Christ. His gift of tongues will come with interpretation and only in the assembly ( unless used as outreach ministry to foreigners ) because that is God showing love towards everyone rather than showing favoritism by the few in private tongues.

There can be no partiality in God in showing His love and His ministry towards each member in the body of Christ. If you do not see anything wrong with that picture as I pointed out in how you are presenting it, then I can say no more other than that we agree to disagree.

I've been a member on other Christian boards for the better part of 12 years (also served as a mod for a couple years on one), and this one is pretty tame compared to the other ones. I don't feel like I'm being thrown into a den of lions when I discuss Scripture here.

Active
HuH? I wont obviously speak in other tongues when you around then. If you keep insisting that everyone always speak the exact same language as you all the time when all they doing is glorifying God then you obviously dont know many in the body of Christ who come from all tribes and tongues. Not just your part of the planet.

God mixed up the tongues in the first place. Not everyone speaks english you know!!! And not all christians speak english.

Some people just have a bad attitude. Nobody is saying that people are using tongues as a sign of being saved. Thats silly. I never see that in church where people say that. Dont know what kind of church you go to, but there is always interpretation for the edification of other believers who dont speak that tongue.

And it is always glorifying God when people speak and sing His praises. If you go to a church where people just blab on about nothing, and there is no edification, you may not even be in a church. Maybe they just talking about the weather or 'how was work?' Which I have noticed some people talk about thats got nothing to do with God. Thats not fellowship, really, thats just being a busybody.

Staff Member
Greetings all,

I think it is strange and perhaps to our shame that this thread, Speaking ill to others, is giving lots of examples of how to do that. I am sure that was not the intent of the OP.

What are we doing?

We say we love the LORD... let's put our money where our mouth is and start proving it in the way we interact with each other. Let us let the LORD guide our tongue... even in written format.

Grace and Peace to you ... if you want it

Bless you ....><>

Active
Dont put money in your mouth..,it doesnt taste very nice!

Lets put Jesus in our mouths and let Him speak through us. That's Gods way. Amen!

Jesus4me you just said in your own post that you PUT down that kind of tongue for private use...

I'm very sorry for you that you feel the need to do that. When people pray in private they can pray in whatever tongue they like, whichever one God gives them it is no concern of yours.

Jesus spoke aramaic however much of the new testament is written in greek. Would you be the kind of person who puts down Jesus just because he doesnt always speak in YOUR tongue. Nobody really has to know what you a praying in private except God

Staff Member
@Lanolin

Greetings,

who are you addressing here? Do you think you might have it in you to be a bit more polite? Please?

HuH? I wont obviously speak in other tongues when you around then. If you keep insisting that everyone always speak the exact same language as you all the time when all they doing is glorifying God then you obviously dont know many in the body of Christ who come from all tribes and tongues. Not just your part of the planet.

We all want to share 'heaven' together... don't we?

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth,
but that which is good to the use of edifying,
that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

I'll try again,

Greetings,

This post is in Bible Chat, so it might be a good idea if we all let Scripture be heard louder than our opinions and untidy remarks.

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouths....

we all need reminding of this, perhaps me more than any of you.

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
Greetings all,

I think it is strange and perhaps to our shame that this thread, Speaking ill to others, is giving lots of examples of how to do that. I am sure that was not the intent of the OP.

What are we doing?

We say we love the LORD... let's put our money where our mouth is and start proving it in the way we interact with each other. Let us let the LORD guide our tongue... even in written format.

Bless you ....><>

Hey Bear I bet most people do not even realize it when they are doing it. Pride makes us blind, the need to be right especially in a public setting, over rides the need for truth and thus you get rude talk you become more of the world then of Christ and it happens all in the dark. At least this has been my personal experience that God has brought to the light for me. Thank you Jesus. Bear you and all the staff in this place have bean a great example of what a Loving followers of Christ should look like on the forums you guys are really light that shines and by your example and the other staff members fine example you have helped me see where I could not see before. Thanks

Loyal
Eph 4:1; Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called,
Eph 4:2; with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
Eph 4:3; being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Active
Some people just have a bad attitude. Nobody is saying that people are using tongues as a sign of being saved. Thats silly. I never see that in church where people say that.

Didn't you just said that here below?

If you dont, then you need to work out your salvation

Maybe clarification is needed here, because it certainly reads like you are saying that tongues is a sign you are saved.

I know I sometimes post something that needs clarification because it sounds like I am opposing myself, but if you do not see anything wrong with what you had posted, then I shall drop the discussion with you to avoid any arguments by agreeing that we disagree and let the Lord minister to us individually in His own time.

Active
Please forgive me, tongues is but one sign, but not everyone will speak in tongues. There are other gifts God gives as well.
To demand it of people is not right. It will happen when God gives you utterance, and some of us dont use it all the time but its there if you want to use it.

For example, God gives gifts differently to each person how he wills. Some people have gifts of healing, prophesy etc, we cant MAKE Him give the gifts we want its up to Him. But we all are given gifts to use for His purposes. In the bible soon after people got filled with the Holy Ghost, one of the signs, and this to unbelievers, that happened was speaking in tongues magnifying the Lord.

In many congregations you have people from all over the world gather together. IT is just one of Gods ways to show that no matter where you from, others can hear the people praising the Lord, in their native tongue, that the person speaking has not learned themselves.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding rude but I live in a cosmpolitan city where not everyone speaks english. I hear different tongues all the time. If people are praising the Lord in another tongue even if I cant understand them myself then hallelujah!

In my church alone there are people that speak samoan, indonesian, malay, chinese, welsh, dutch, tongan, nieuan, gilbertese, korean, maori...its so diverse. Because of the larger islander population, we have bilingual services in samoan. I go to services that are in english, that is my native tongue, but my mothers is cantonese. Funnily enough there is a chinese church near me but they speak in mandarin which is not the dialect mum uses, so I dont go there. But even if I did go, i would not think they are any less christian just because I dont understand their tongue.

Active
Please forgive me, tongues is but one sign, but not everyone will speak in tongues. There are other gifts God gives as well.
To demand it of people is not right.

Thank you for clearing that up.

It will happen when God gives you utterance, and some of us dont use it all the time but its there if you want to use it

For example, God gives gifts differently to each person how he wills. Some people have gifts of healing, prophesy etc, we cant MAKE Him give the gifts we want its up to Him. But we all are given gifts to use for His purposes. In the bible soon after people got filled with the Holy Ghost, one of the signs, and this to unbelievers, that happened was speaking in tongues magnifying the Lord.

In many congregations you have people from all over the world gather together. IT is just one of Gods ways to show that no matter where you from, others can hear the people praising the Lord, in their native tongue, that the person speaking has not learned themselves.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding rude but I live in a cosmpolitan city where not everyone speaks english. I hear different tongues all the time. If people are praising the Lord in another tongue even if I cant understand them myself then hallelujah!

In my church alone there are people that speak samoan, indonesian, malay, chinese, welsh, dutch, tongan, nieuan, gilbertese, korean, maori...its so diverse. Because of the larger islander population, we have bilingual services in samoan. I go to services that are in english, that is my native tongue, but my mothers is cantonese. Funnily enough there is a chinese church near me but they speak in mandarin which is not the dialect mum uses, so I dont go there. But even if I did go, i would not think they are any less christian just because I dont understand their tongue.

The only tongue I do not believe is God's gift of tongues ( 1 Corinthians 14:21 KJV ) is when it is not a foreign language at all, but vain & profane babbling nonsense as that supernatural tongue has been found in the occult as Isaiah 8:19 KJV testifies. That is why I do not believe God's gift of tongues are for private use just because it comes with no interpretation when God's real tongue is specifically for speaking unto the people that it will come with interpretation in the assembly.

Loyal
Thank you for clearing that up.

The only tongue I do not believe is God's gift of tongues ( 1 Corinthians 14:21 KJV ) is when it is not a foreign language at all, but vain & profane babbling nonsense as that supernatural tongue has been found in the occult as Isaiah 8:19 KJV testifies. That is why I do not believe God's gift of tongues are for private use just because it comes with no interpretation when God's real tongue is specifically for speaking unto the people that it will come with interpretation in the assembly.
Be certain my friend that you express yourself a bit more carefully so as not to unnecessarily offend any who disagree or God Himself.
Oh, you have not offended me, but God might take offense when you call "vain & profane nonsense" that which God has given as a gift to many believers. Yes, I believe that there are phony tongue talkers, but I know that not all tongue talkers are phony.

Give God the glory.

Loyal
Greetings all,

What are we doing?

Bless you ....><>
Very Well Said brother @Br. Bear
Blessings