• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Spanking

Active
I am not a parent, but I would love answers from
parents themselves.
At Winn-Dixie the other day, a small child was causing
a little chaos in the store, running around bouncing
balls and not putting them back, and he knocked
some items off shelves by accident, but didn't bother
to put them back either.
His mother spanked the child right there in the aisle,
and no one said anything to her, but I
heard an elderly woman behind me mutter
"How could she do that to her own child?"

I never thought much about spanking,
in fact, I was spanked myself when I was
younger. But more and more people
are saying that it is child abuse.
I never thought my mother was abusing me
when she spanked me...
Anyone agree or disagree?
What does the Word say about spanking?
1. Proverbs 23:13-14 Don’t fail to discipline your children. They won’t die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death.

2. Proverbs 13:24 Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

3. Proverbs 22:15 A child’s heart has a tendency to do wrong, but the rod of discipline removes it far away from him.

4. Proverbs 22:6 Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it.

Benefits of discipline

5. Hebrews 12:10-11 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

6. Proverbs 29:15 A rod and reproof impart wisdom, but a child who is unrestrained brings shame to his mother.

7. Proverbs 20:30 The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil: so do stripes the inward parts of the belly.

8. Proverbs 29:17 Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.

The Bible does not condone child abuse. It does not condone actual physical damage and unnecessary discipline.

9. Proverbs 19:18 Discipline your son while there is hope; don’t be intent on killing him.

10. Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, don’t stir up anger in your children, but bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

Reminders

11. 1 Corinthians 16:14 Let all that you do be done in love.

12. Proverbs 17:25 Foolish children make their father sad and cause their mother great sorrow.

Just as we discipline our children, God disciplines His children.

13. Hebrews 12:6-7 The Lord disciplines everyone he loves. He severely disciplines everyone he accepts as his child.” Endure your discipline. God corrects you as a father corrects his children. All children are disciplined by their fathers.

14. Deuteronomy 8:5 You shall also consider in your heart, that, as a man chastens his son, so the LORD your God chastens you.

15. Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

My parents rarely spanked me. They beat the hell out of me with whatever came to hand. Still I came out ok, I think because I realized that most of the time I deserved something. LOL I never enen knew they loved me till just before they died.... Still we cannot go by our own opinions....What does God say?

Active
Spanking our Children in their forming years was far and few between. I was very cautious disciplining our children as I was abused a lot growing up by my paternal father so this put doubts in my mind about discipline. If it was done it was not out of reaction but well thought out love. We told them what they were being punished for, followed it through, and when the tears began to subside we told them we loved them and asked them not to do it again. Sometimes they were in time out, other times once the punishment was over it was family time as usual.

We rarely spanked our children because they were really good children. We disciplined them by different means, ie time out, groundings, taking things what they love away from them for a while. For us this worked. I only have to raise my voice today and it can bring them to tears and they know if they have overstepped the mark.

We raised our kids they way they should go as the bible said; sometimes we spared the rod too. I am for spanking if it is done out of love and used as a correctional method of discipline. What I am not about is spanking just for the heck of it which happened a lot for me growing up and it was not done out of love.
I agree with you. My Lady and I only spanked for deliberate disobedience...

Active
Weak parenting will always fail. A parent being their "friend" before their parent. Too many don't know the difference between "physical discipline" and full "beating a child like you would and adult".
Kids will learn how far to push their parents. If at best you do is "get loud" and "time out" , that kid is going to learn real quick he/she can walk all over the parent(s).
This is especially true with a single mother and a male child.
Anyone remember the dreaded Switch?

Active
Weak parenting will always fail. A parent being their "friend" before their parent. Too many don't know the difference between "physical discipline" and full "beating a child like you would and adult".
Kids will learn how far to push their parents. If at best you do is "get loud" and "time out" , that kid is going to learn real quick he/she can walk all over the parent(s).
This is especially true with a single mother and a male child.
Anyone remember the dreaded Switch?
We have to remember that all a parent can give their children is what they have...If they were raised in an abusive home, that's what they have to give to their children....Not spanking a child, reasoning with them?! is child abuse because the child needs consequenses to their actions to learn their limits and to learn how the real world works...Deprive them of that and they wind up being monsters. There is an out for the parents and the kids though. When I was a child there were next to no resourses for a parent to learn the how of parenting. Now we have vast libraries and the internet which gives almost unlimited all human knowledge and more...we have the bible....if we'll believe the bible.

Active
We have to remember that all a parent can give their children is what they have...If they were raised in an abusive home, that's what they have to give to their children....Not spanking a child, reasoning with them?! is child abuse because the child needs consequenses to their actions to learn their limits and to learn how the real world works...Deprive them of that and they wind up being monsters. There is an out for the parents and the kids though. When I was a child there were next to no resourses for a parent to learn the how of parenting. Now we have vast libraries and the internet which gives almost unlimited all human knowledge and more...we have the bible....if we'll believe the bible.
"If they were raised in an abusive home, that's what they have to give to their children" Not necessarily. In fact, more and more parents over at least 6 years are doing better. Statements similar to "I'm not going to be who my mother/father was/is."
I can't recall the # of times I've read long, posts from these people.
There's this moronic idea that the parents and peers should "respect" the child first which is rheetarded.
Most parenting is common sense and no two parent-to-child is similar.
Parents have been raising children from the start without any "government aid". Yes, parents learn from their parents good and bad. To suggest any parent needs outside help simply isn't true.
The Bible IS the book for all things.
God set the standard for humans. One Man to one Woman.
What to do and what not to do.
Just b/c the masses do/believe something, it never means it is normal, good, moral, ethical, logical, or common sense. See the awesome destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah for reference.
If you wanna talk about the evidence of God and the Bible that is another topic. There is a lot and many have found and summarized it.

Active
That did come off as racist and was a horrible example.

I am sure that obviously the racist part wasn't your intention, but you should adjust your words. I know plenty of people who grew up fine without being punished physically. Physical punishment is primitive and shows weakness in the links in the chains of humanity. There are easier ways to tell a child that there are negative side effects for doing something bad, more effective ways.

Neither one is awful or bad, but you should always try to chose the best punishment and the most effective in every situation. Some types of punishment can harm a child emotionally.
How is speaking what u see as racist?? My oh my no wonder the world is goin to hell in a hand basket as quick as it is..

From where I am from I see many young girls walking around with 5 kids with 5 different dads.. many of them are black n Puerto Rican is that racist cause I speak the Truth?? Fyi my children have a variety of nationalities..

Twistie

Active
How is speaking what u see as racist?? My oh my no wonder the world is goin to hell in a hand basket as quick as it is..

From where I am from I see many young girls walking around with 5 kids with 5 different dads.. many of them are black n Puerto Rican is that racist cause I speak the Truth?? Fyi my children have a variety of nationalities..

Twistie
That example isn't racist. Racists ideas and comments are opinions and subjective but the Truth about them and stereotypes exist b/c of the truth and evidence to back them.
Mexican women on the lower Tier tend to have a lot of kids they can't take care of and it's largely their fault.

Active
That example isn't racist. Racists ideas and comments are opinions and subjective but the Truth about them and stereotypes exist b/c of the truth and evidence to back them.
Mexican women on the lower Tier tend to have a lot of kids they can't take care of and it's largely their fault.
These girls n boys are being raised with no value sadly.. the girls have no self respect or morals taught to them n neither do the boys these r the fatherless these r those who are being taken advantage of n these r those the chrsitians are supposed to b helping n guiding but sadly we know that 99 percent of them probably wouldn't even step foot into their neighborhood because of either fear or just turning a blind eye..

Twistie :broken_heart:

Active
Single mothers are a large problem in this.
Fathers who left on their own are a problem. Single mothers who intentionally put out the man so she can have total control and brainwash them into all kinds of Leftoid, sick, twisted perversions are pedos and groomers.

Loyal
I spanked my eldest child when he was young and I regret it. It wasn't effective in controlling his behaviour and built up resentment on his part rather than respect. If I had my time again, I'd do things differently.

Spanking or no spanking, what children need to grow up healthy is love they can depend on, reliable boundaries, consequences for actions and good examples to follow.

As a church we have a huge opportunity to help parents, give support and provide a healthy wider family for children to grow up in.

Active
I spanked my eldest child when he was young and I regret it. It wasn't effective in controlling his behaviour and built up resentment on his part rather than respect. If I had my time again, I'd do things differently.

Spanking or no spanking, what children need to grow up healthy is love they can depend on, reliable boundaries, consequences for actions and good examples to follow.

As a church we have a huge opportunity to help parents, give support and provide a healthy wider family for children to grow up in.
All kids will eventually know a parent's limits.
They'll know when and how they can get away with whatever they want. Being part of the church and God's influence is no guarantee or even a big part in keeping kids and teens on the better side of things.
Given how a lot of this world hates God and wants to brainwash the children into all kinds of evil, Satanic, pedo groomer things, children and teens are best being homeschooled.

Active
Single mothers are a large problem in this.
Fathers who left on their own are a problem. Single mothers who intentionally put out the man so she can have total control and brainwash them into all kinds of Leftoid, sick, twisted perversions are pedos and groomers.
N one must ask themselves what am I doing to help..
Do I go out n help the fatherless or am I just part of the problem and just pointing fingers at them..

I speak to the girls as much as possible some get it some get their panties in a bunch n some just don't care.. but all's I can do is go n speak to them I can't make them listen...

My son has started speaking to the young boys.. do u by chance go to the inner cities to help some kind of wat??

Active
N one must ask themselves what am I doing to help..
Do I go out n help the fatherless or am I just part of the problem and just pointing fingers at them..

I speak to the girls as much as possible some get it some get their panties in a bunch n some just don't care.. but all's I can do is go n speak to them I can't make them listen...

My son has started speaking to the young boys.. do u by chance go to the inner cities to help some kind of wat??

I help locally.
No place in America is free from all problems. We have two places where anyone in the county can get some food, clothing, and info on other aid.
No, I don't go out of my county to the "inner cities" which tend to be bad. That lies on the leaders there and when they aren't doing right then it's the job of those people.
Explain where you or anyone can ignore one's own with regard to location to go to a place that is "subjectively worse".
Local budgets cover things inside county lines not outside of it. State policies and such are another matter.

Active
I help locally.
No place in America is free from all problems. We have two places where anyone in the county can get some food, clothing, and info on other aid.
No, I don't go out of my county to the "inner cities" which tend to be bad. That lies on the leaders there and when they aren't doing right then it's the job of those people.
Explain where you or anyone can ignore one's own with regard to location to go to a place that is "subjectively worse".
Local budgets cover things inside county lines not outside of it. State policies and such are another matter.
No it don't fall on the leaders smh smh how sad don't you even Hear what YH says? :(

What will ya say if YH says was it impossible for u to do what I ask? Will u say it was the leaders job??:worried:

Active
That's not the issue. Nowhere does God say to ignore even one of your people for those outside of it.
There's no reason to allow one's city, state, country to decline further by sending any aid outside of it.

Active
No it don't fall on the leaders smh smh how sad don't you even Hear what YH says? :(

What will ya say if YH says was it impossible for u to do what I ask? Will u say it was the leaders job??:worried:

FYI I walk in all kind of neighborhoods I go to where the prostitutes addicts drunks gangbusters are I fear no one but YH.

Many talk a walk they don't even crawl n therefore they themselves cause chaos with the unbeliever..

Goin to a building that may or may not help people is not you goin n helping people on a personal level u n i are no better then the girl n boy that r selling themselves for dope..

If one see themselves above one who is in a midst of a personal war then they themselves are in darkness

Truth b told

Active
That's not the issue. Nowhere does God say to ignore even one of your people for those outside of it.
There's no reason to allow one's city, state, country to decline further by sending any aid outside of it.
Oh so ur community has homeless? Has alot of fatherless? Then r you spending time with them ? R you feeding them both physically n spiritually? R u sitting n eating with them?...

Like I said many talk the walk but don't do what we r told to do..

As it is written

What do u Call me Lord when u do not do what I say??

Who is my mother my brother my sister? Those who do the will of YH.. n what does YH say?..

A pure n undefiled religion in the Eyes of YH is helping the fatherless helping the widows visiting the sick the poor it's all written it up to u to follow what He says or to put it on another.. putting it on another note s not what we r told to do frfr

One shouldn't point fingers at the problems of one ain't gonna get their hands dirty n help the problem frfr

Satan n his cronies is real good accusing n not helping to better to tho..

Truth b told..

Twistie

Active
Oh so ur community has homeless? Has alot of fatherless? Then r you spending time with them ? R you feeding them both physically n spiritually? R u sitting n eating with them?...

Like I said many talk the walk but don't do what we r told to do..

As it is written

What do u Call me Lord when u do not do what I say??

Who is my mother my brother my sister? Those who do the will of YH.. n what does YH say?..

A pure n undefiled religion in the Eyes of YH is helping the fatherless helping the widows visiting the sick the poor it's all written it up to u to follow what He says or to put it on another.. putting it on another note s not what we r told to do frfr

One shouldn't point fingers at the problems of one ain't gonna get their hands dirty n help the problem frfr

Satan n his cronies is real good accusing n not helping to better to tho..

Truth b told..

Twistie
I'm not the issue here.
Spanking is the issue.
Stop referring to me when I'm not the issue here. Going off topic is a bad move.
I will point out whatever and wherever given the evidence to back it.

Active
I'm not the issue here.
Spanking is the issue.
Stop referring to me when I'm not the issue here. Going off topic is a bad move.
N so will I.. it's ok for you to point out as it is for me.. I hope you get enlightened by the Truth n not blinded..

Active
I'm not the issue here.
Spanking is the issue.
N so will I.. it's ok for you to point out as it is for me.. I hope you get enlightened by the Truth n not blinded..

We can't sit back n not walk the walk then go around pointing fingers

It is written take the plank out of our own eyes first..

How can we see clearly when we r walking around with a big ole plank

U say spanking is the issues yet you pointed out the girls are the problem...

Soo I'm was just wondering are u helping or are u just pointing out the problems that ya don't wanna b bothered with...

My Abba tells me to test every Spirit

Many Talk few walk... n I can't see ur walk but I sure can discern ur words like my mouth can taste meat..

I hope the Truth Enlightens ya n not blinds ya