• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Soil

Loyal
Have you ever wondered what kind of "soil" certain people are? What kind of soil are you?

Matt 13:18; "Hear then the parable of the sower.
Matt 13:19; "When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is the one on whom seed was sown beside the road.
Matt 13:20; "The one on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, this is the man who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy;
Matt 13:21; yet he has no firm root in himself, but is only temporary, and when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he falls away.
Matt 13:22; "And the one on whom seed was sown among the thorns, this is the man who hears the word, and the worry of the world and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.
Matt 13:23; "And the one on whom seed was sown on the good soil, this is the man who hears the word and understands it; who indeed bears fruit and brings forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty."

Jesus is explaining a parable He told a few verses earlier, it starts off like this.

Matt 13:3; And He spoke many things to them in parables, saying, ""Behold, the sower went out to sow;
Matt 13:4; "and as he sowed, some seeds fell beside the road, and the birds came and ate them up.
Matt 13:5; ""Others fell on the rocky places, where they did not have much soil; and immediately they sprang up, because they had no depth of soil.

I live in a farming town. Most of the people who live here are farmers. The largest industry in this town is farming. There is a sign about 40 miles from here that says we are the greatest agriculturally producing county in the state.

I've watched farmer plant crops. They are very particular about what kind of soil they spread seeds on.
But in this story, it seems the "sower" just spreads seeds all over the place, on all different kinds of soil. I wondered about this. Why does He do this?

Some of the seeds fell on the path. The path is packed down from being walked on over a period of time.
The seeds can't get down into the soil. Have you ever been walked on? Do you know people who have been walked on?

Some of the seeds fell on "the rocky places". Why would a farmer put seeds on a rocky place. The farmers I know try to avoid doing this.

Some of the seeds fell among the thorns and weeds. These seeds got "choked out" by worry and deceitfulness. I know none of us ever worry about anything... right? None of us have ever been deceived?

And finally... of course some of the seed fell on "good soil". This soil has been prepared. Maybe watered, maybe fertilized. Most likely plowed and broken. Usually broken up (plowed) soil is the best kind of soil to put seeds into, so they can get down into the dirt. I think sometimes broken people... even us, maybe there was a time when we were broken in our lives. I think broken people are often the most receptive people to hearing the word of God. It says this kind of soil produces, 100, or 60, or 30 fold.

It seems that "breaking ground" is usually a traumatic, sometimes violent experience. Some ground is pretty packed, and it takes a lot to "break it up".

I even wondered why some soils produce more than other soils.

It seems that God spreads the word to all kinds of people all over the face of the earth.
He doesn't care what kind of soil you are. He gives everyone a chance to produce equally.
Maybe you were shallow dirt once, maybe you were a "rock" (with a heart of stone). Maybe you had been walked on. Or maybe you were broken up to the point you were ready to listen to God. But whatever kind of soil you were once.... it must have worked. Thank God for spreading the seeds to all kinds of "soil".

Active
The sower must have had lots and lots of seed...or maybe wasnt a very good farmer!

My favourite parable. I have been all types of soil but the best soil is the fourth. It took a lot of work to get the good soil!!

Loyal
only one type of soil is saved.

Perhaps, but who knows what type of soil it is until it's had a chance to grow?

This same story is also in Luke.

Luke 8:4; When a large crowd was coming together, and those from the various cities were journeying to Him, He spoke by way of a parable:
Luke 8:5; "The sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell beside the road, and it was trampled under foot and the birds of the air ate it up.
Luke 8:6; "Other seed fell on rocky soil, and as soon as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture.
Luke 8:7; "Other seed fell among the thorns; and the thorns grew up with it and choked it out.
Luke 8:8; "Other seed fell into the good soil, and grew up, and produced a crop a hundred times as great." As He said these things, He would call out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Luke 8:9; His disciples began questioning Him as to what this parable meant.
Luke 8:10; And He said, "To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is in parables, so that SEEING THEY MAY NOT SEE, AND HEARING THEY MAY NOT UNDERSTAND.
Luke 8:11; "Now the parable is this: the seed is the word of God.
Luke 8:12; "Those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they will not believe and be saved.
Luke 8:13; "Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away.
Luke 8:14; "The seed which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to maturity.
Luke 8:15; "But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.

It tells us here that the "seed" is the word of God. The soil is of course.. "us" (people).
It mentions several kinds of soil.

verse 12 says these people "will not believe and be saved". It seems they are never saved.

verse 13 is a slightly different soil. These people "believe for a while" and then "fall away". I wonder why it makes a distinction between this who are never saved, and those
"who believe for a while". I wonder if these people felt any different or believed anything from what you or I felt when we got saved. How long is "a while", it could even be years that they believed.

verse 14 is maybe the most controversial soil of the entire passage. Some people believe these people are saved... but simply "bring no fruit to maturity". Again, this is different
from no fruit at all.... it is simply "immature" fruit that never grows. These people believe, but never mature in their walk.

verse 15 well.. I used to think there was no controversy here, but even this soil... has to "hold fast onto the word" ...and ... "bear fruit" ... "with perseverance".
Perseverance.....

per·se·ver·ance
ˌpərsəˈvirəns/
noun
noun: perseverance

steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.
"his perseverance with the technique illustrates his single-mindedness"
synonyms: persistence, tenacity, determination, staying power, indefatigability, steadfastness, purposefulness;

It takes time and effort, it takes "keeping on in 'doing something'" If you're not doing anything, you're not persevering.

Loyal
Heb 6:4; For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
Heb 6:5; and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
Heb 6:6; and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.
Heb 6:7; For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God;
Heb 6:8; but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.

Can unsaved people be "enlightened"? Can they be "partakers of the Holy Spirit"? Can you "fall away" from something you never had in the first place?
Can you be renew into repentance "again" if you were never renewed in the first place? Can you crucify Jesus "again" if you never accepted His death and resurrection
in the first place?

Again we have different kinds of ground. All kinds of ground drink the water. It's the same water no matter which ground it falls on.
Some "brings forth vegetation" that is "useful". But other soil brings forth "thorns and thistles".

Active
It is the condition of your heart. Remember we are the clay, He is the Potter. God can soften your heart..

Loyal
I am wondering if I was wrong when I said only one type of soil is saved

The Parable of the Sower
(Matthew 13:1-9; Mark 4:1-9)

4While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, He told them this parable: 5“A farmer went out to sow his seed. And as he was sowing, some seed fell along the path, where it was trampled, and the birds of the air devoured it.

6Other seed fell on rocky ground, and when it came up, the seedlings withered because they had no moisture.

7Other seed fell among the thorns, which grew up with it and choked the seedlings.

8Still other seed fell on good soil, where it sprang up and produced a crop—a hundredfold.”

As Jesus said this, He called out, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

9Then His disciples asked Him what this parable meant.

10He replied, “The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,

‘Though seeing, they may not see;

though hearing, they may not understand.’b

11Now this is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12The seeds along the path are those who hear, but the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.

13The seeds on rocky ground are those who hear the word and receive it with joy, but they have no root. They believe for a season, but in the time of testing, they fall away.

14The seeds that fell among the thorns are those who hear, but as they go on their way, they are choked by the worries, riches, and pleasures of this life, and their fruit does not mature.

15But the seeds on good soil are those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, cling to it, and by persevering produce a crop.

So verse 11 seems very clear this soil is not saved.

Verse 13 says fall away, is that the same as not being save? d I do not know the answer to that

Verse 14 I am going to have to say I think they are saved here they just are not mature

Verse 15 I am sure we all agree 100% they are saved and this is what we should all strive to obtain, seems related to the word of God so let us all immerse our-self's in it daily.

so out of 4 soils
- 1 for sure not saved
- 1 to my lack of understanding is grey area
- 2 for sure saved

what say you??

Loyal
This parable isn't about the seed nearly as much as it is about the soil, true. But still the soil has to do something with the seed.

Loyal
This parable isn't about the seed nearly as much as it is about the soil, true. But still the soil has to do something with the seed.

Yes, the soil! What have we done to prepare the soil allotted to us to make it a fertile place that will yield proper fruits?

"For thus saith the LORD to the men of Judah and Jerusalem, Break up your fallow ground, and sow not among thorns." Jerem 4:3

"And Ephraim is as an heifer that is taught, and loveth to tread out the corn; but I passed over upon her fair neck: I will make Ephraim to ride; Judah shall plow, and Jacob shall break his clods.
Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you." Hosea 10:11-12

We should all perhaps study more about the farmer and how he increases his possibilities by proper preparation of his soil.

Active
@B-A-C,
Every "soil" at the beginning is the same.

Romans 5:8
But God commends his love toward us, in that, while "we were yet sinners," Christ died for us.

The soil represents how a man received and believed the word of God throughout their journey in life as a believer. The soil, which are the hearts of men, which brings forth fruit according to their faith and love for God. It also showed their love for the world and lack of faith when trials and tribulations comes to try them. Some believers made a choice to endure unto the end and some became lukewarm believers. Some that heard the word initially, Satan did his best to keep the sinner from receiving the word in their hearts that they would not believe and be saved.

Though they were all tempted of the devil, some gave up. Some desired the world and Christ equally and some died to the world putting Christ first.

The "Word" was sown targeting any and everyone willing to hear and receive it. Those that heard and received God's word were given power to become sons of God and were saved from their sins (Joh. 1:17). Out of the four spoken of, (in Matthew 13), only three hearts, out of the four, received God's word and became saved from their sins. But only "one" out of the three endured until the end, believing God unto Eternal Life.

God has given the believer the responsibility to believe unto the end or give up. Once a person has received God's word, they must study to show themselves approved unto God (2Ti. 2:15). They must learn to abide in Christ and put on Christ which is a showing of their faith (Joh. 15:4). Those that believe nothing is required, on their part, will be gathered out of the body of Christ and cast into the fire because they cannot obey God with all their heart(Mat.13:41-42). Those that don't believe God from their heart "CANNOT" be saved eternally because they don't believe they "must work" to serve Christ for life - though they are "SERVANTS." It is a work just to "ABIDE" in Christ daily, because of the temptations. This is why there are "LUKEWARM" believers in Christ. Lukewarm believers are the hearts of those that God's word fell upon which became "thorny" ground. These don't abide in Christ.

John 15:6
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Those that are cast out were in the body of Christ. Only a believer can be withered. An unbeliever is already dead and withered. Only the believer can reject eternal life by what they believe; which shows through what they do.
Three out of the initial four hearts/soils ended up without life. Two out of the three hearts were prevented from obtaining life because of their "WORKS." .

Loyal
I am wondering if I was wrong when I said only one type of soil is saved

I know you and I have talked about this before, but it always seems to come up again :)

One of the reasons I really like this parable, is because it's one of the few we don't have to 'guess' about. Jesus explains this one in plain words.

Matt 13:18; "Hear then the parable of the sower.
Matt 13:19; "When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is the one on whom seed was sown beside the road.
Matt 13:20; "The one on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, this is the man who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy;
Matt 13:21; yet he has no firm root in himself, but is only temporary, and when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he falls away.
Matt 13:22; "And the one on whom seed was sown among the thorns, this is the man who hears the word, and the worry of the world and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.
Matt 13:23; "And the one on whom seed was sown on the good soil, this is the man who hears the word and understands it; who indeed bears fruit and brings forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty."

Luke 8:11; "Now the parable is this: the seed is the word of God.
Luke 8:12; "Those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they will not believe and be saved.
Luke 8:13; "Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away.
Luke 8:14; "The seed which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to maturity.
Luke 8:15; "But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance

Jesus says there four kinds of soil (people) here.
Matt 13:19; and Luke 8:12; says these people don't understand what they are hearing. Satan takes away what they have heard. It says "they will not believe and be saved".
These people aren't saved at all.

Matt 13:20-21; and Luke 8:13; says these people do receive the message, at least for a while. It says they "believe for a while" and then fall away (due to temptation).
It seems they are saved for a while.

Matt 13:22; and Luke 8:14; says these people also hear the word and understand it, they even receive it. These people even start bearing fruit. But they only start... they do not finish.
We know they can't bear fruit without Jesus. So it seems they are saved long enough to start bearing fruit. But the fruit never matures. I wonder how many Christians this is talking about here?

Finally we have the people in Matt 13:23 and Luke 8:15; these people are productive, they bear much fruit.

Matt 7:19; "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

John 15:2; "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.
John 15:4; "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.
John 15:8; "My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.
John 15:16; "You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.

Jesus says here (verse 2) that some branches (in Him) do not bear fruit. These branches are "in Jesus" yet they do not bear fruit.
Like the parable of the talents, he takes away from the unproductive branches and gives more to the productive ones.

Verse 8 says .. The Father is glorified when we bear "much fruit".

Verse 16 says Jesus chose them... and appointed them... that they would go and bear fruit!!

All this to say... I think 3 of the 4 soils were saved. People don't usually have problem the first and last soil, it's the two in the middle that cause problems for people.
One just "believed for a while" and then "fell away".
Another one started to bear fruit, but the fruit never matured.

Loyal
. I think 3 of the 4 soils were saved

and out of the 3 that are saved, only one soil type is going to here the words "well done good and faithful servant" . I hope your right about 3 out of 4

This reminds me a of preacher I was talking with recently his belief is that the New Jersualem is only for people who are 100% sold out for Jesus, and then the warm Christians will live outside of the new Jerusalem. He has a book written on revelations, nice old 84 Pentecostal Preacher still on fire on pulpit.

Loyal
Maybe part of the idea of that parable is to compare ourselves to the various soil types. Which one are We and how can we improve our soil? AND realizing that as we Do share with others that not everyone we Do share with Will accept the truth on a personal basis. "We" aren't the one saving people -- the Holy Spirit is doing that. We are to be sharing Gospel unto salvation with whomever will listen Realizing that there are all kinds / types of people 'out there'.

Well -- no one wants to believe that non-believers will spend eternity in lake of fire and brimstone. They would rather have them living just outside of the New Jerusalem.

Scripture tells us that only born-again believers will be in heaven. / New Jerusalem. We will be held accountable for our actions Since our salvation.