• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

So What Did He mean?

Loyal
As a Word weaver the one thing that gets me most steamed up, the one thing that makes me want to puke most, is when my readers sit around and read something I wrote, then ask each other...'What did he mean by that line? And all agree or argue over it. And they're all wrong. Why can't they simply read what I have to say and believe I meant to say what I said? Christians to that to God, and what He wrote too....I wonder how He feels.....Uh No I don't...I know how He feels.
That's called interpreting the Word and it's WRONG

What do you think?

Staff Member
Why can't they simply read what I have to say and believe I meant to say what I said?

The better question would be. "Why don't they just ask me to explain what I said and accept it whether they agree with it or not, with the understanding that it is what I see through His Word to be true." By the way. This question probably won't be answerable by them either :)

Not all of us are at the same level of understanding dear brother. I'm sure our Lord probably lost patience with the Apostles now and again. I can almost picture Him scratching His head and wondering why they weren't seeing/understanding what He was saying! Even though He probably knew why :)

That is why "Love" can overcome all things. We remember that these are cherished Brothers & Sisters in Christ Jesus that we are dealing/conversing with. Plus, it might be a little bit of one of the virtues that we need a little work on. So God has presented these Loved ones to help us to continue to grow along this path we walk in Christ Jesus. Unbeknownst to them of cause!

Love you Brother "Blessed" and hang in there!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
its best to have a open mind and pray on it, humble yourself, for if you want to puke you may have strife in your heart, and a harden heart will blind you . That is why Jesus used parables so those with out the holly spirit and were of this world could not understand him.

Matthew 13

Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?

And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.

This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

“You will indeed hear but never understand, and you will indeed see but never perceive.

Staff Member
its best to have a open mind and pray o. That is why Jesus used parables so those with out the holly spirit and were of this world could not understand him.

Oddly, enough this is the second time I'm addressing this scripture which can also be seen out of Mark 4:11-12

What you have stated on why our Lord used parables is not exactly accurate. Let me explain. I'll quote the verses that were in question before and show you my reply, which was actually on an unrelated subject but applies to explaining our Lord's use of parables.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS REPLY WAS MEANT FOR ANOTHER! No misunderstandings please! (sigh..happens too often as I'm sure you've noticed)

Beginning of Quote:
[Mar 4:11-12 NASB] 11 And He was saying to them, "To you has been given the mystery of the kingdom of God, but those who are outside get everything in parables, 12 so that WHILE SEEING, THEY MAY SEE AND NOT PERCEIVE, AND WHILE HEARING, THEY MAY HEAR AND NOT UNDERSTAND, OTHERWISE THEY MIGHT RETURN AND BE FORGIVEN."

In v11 who was Jesus talking to who were given the mystery of the kingdom of God? Disciples? Who were not His disciples? Everyone else who He had been talking to. The Jewish people who He had actually came for. However, in order for the Gentiles to be grafted to the tree, some branches were broken off.

You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in." 20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. Romans 11:19-21

Does this sound similar to your verses?

just as it is written,"GOD GAVE THEM A SPIRIT OF STUPOR,EYES TO SEE NOT AND EARS TO HEAR NOT,DOWN TO THIS VERY DAY." ... 10 "LET THEIR EYES BE DARKENED TO SEE NOT,AND BEND THEIR BACKS FOREVER." Romans 11:8, 10 (Deuteronomy 29:4; Isaiah 29:10)

You can read Romans 11 to get the gist of the need for the Jewish people to reject our Lord. While Mark 4:12 speaks to a remnant which one can see is who our Lord is talking to in Mark 4:11.
End of Quote.

So were parables used so that they'd be understood by only those Spirit filled? Not necessarily the way you put it brother.

A joy brother Dave! Don't correspond enough with you! Mia Culpa of cause!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
It is not what one says, or how one acts, but how one responds.

Is HE in our heart or is our heart still of this world?

What goes in the mouth is not what defiles the man, but what comes out of the mouth. Yea, this defiles the man.

Let our conversation become the gospel of Christ. Amen

Loyal
Nick

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, and Lord forgive me. I will say if they under stand the parables they are hungry for the word, and there heart is in the right place, and soon will be filled with the spirit, if they are lacking ;)

Loyal
Communication is the important thing... not between us and other men, but between us and God. God confused the languages at the tower of Babel where men were agreeing with each other rather than with Him. He has made it clear that such communication was not the way to Him.

Jesus clarified: "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:16

In the Book of Acts this is confirmed in somewhat different words:

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. " Acts 4:12

So then is not our communication to be in and through Jesus? With regard to communication Jesus said this: "

"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." Matt 5:37

'Yea Lord' and 'Nay man'!

Give God the glory!

Active
As a Word weaver the one thing that gets me most steamed up, the one thing that makes me want to puke most, is when my readers sit around and read something I wrote, then ask each other...'What did he mean by that line? And all agree or argue over it. And they're all wrong. Why can't they simply read what I have to say and believe I meant to say what I said? Christians to that to God, and what He wrote too....I wonder how He feels.....Uh No I don't...I know how He feels.

What do you think?
Experts on subjects tend to skim.

God is patient with us. Nobody reading His word and innocently miss interpreting it will cause Him to be irate.

I think you are jumping on those that disagree with you. We all need to be as patient and discerning as God. It is forgivably difficult on the internet though.

Loyal
Experts on subjects tend to skim.

God is patient with us. Nobody reading His word and innocently miss interpreting it will cause Him to be irate.

I think you are jumping on those that disagree with you. We all need to be as patient and discerning as God. It is forgivably difficult on the internet though.

I understand what you are saying and I agree My pet peeve though is that it's not only online that this happens.

What do you think?

Hello dear brother in Christ, never ever forget that we human each one of us see and understand all the world differently from one another and you will never find 2 humans who see the world and life exactly the same... I have no idea where you faced that and on which post... yet keep in mind that when you say something as an idea, or a feeling, or an explanation people will react according to there believes and fears.

Remember when Jesus Christ teaches humans from 2000 years about love and peace, many was afraid of him and he's been crucified for simply expressing what he feel and what he wanted to teach human... today it's different and we have the free right of speech which protect us & the universal declaration of human rights which i strongly believe its the fruit of what Jesus Christ planted as a seed of love and peace from 2000 years.

When i face situations like this, i ask my self, if Jesus Christ was in my place, what Jesus Christ will do? and the answer always is Forgiveness & love.

Always say the truth and nothing but the truth how you see it in your heart & where is your heart is where your happiness will be... yet don't expect everyone to agree with you and somehow the majority of people still weak and judge one another.

For example if i mention "I want to eliminate poverty from the face of earth" or "I want to unite Christians in one Church & one Love" as an action in a statement what reaction shall i get from the church it self?
what i got as a feedback from thinking big dedicating my life to Christ
1- You can't do it, and who you think your self you are even to think like that.
2- Other before you Tried it and failed.
3- Life is like that impossible to change it.

When a human reach the perfection of love as Jesus Christ teach's it, he will become very humble by letting other be as they are in there thoughts and believes, by loving everyone and respecting what there point of view... It's not that you are wrong or they are wrong or you are right and all are right... simply the truth defer from one human to another as each one of us live according to a unique frequency which let us see life all life from our heart and from our eyes from our unique perspective.

Now you have 2 choices or you can run to a cave and worship God all your life how saints do running from people... or you can keep on corresponding with people and live an ordinary life yet with a big heart :)

Loyal
Hello dear brother in Christ, never ever forget that we human each one of us see and understand all the world differently from one another and you will never find 2 humans who see the world and life exactly the same... I have no idea where you faced that and on which post... yet keep in mind that when you say something as an idea, or a feeling, or an explanation people will react according to there believes and fears.

Remember when Jesus Christ teaches humans from 2000 years about love and peace, many was afraid of him and he's been crucified for simply expressing what he feel and what he wanted to teach human... today it's different and we have the free right of speech which protect us & the universal declaration of human rights which i strongly believe its the fruit of what Jesus Christ planted as a seed of love and peace from 2000 years.

When i face situations like this, i ask my self, if Jesus Christ was in my place, what Jesus Christ will do? and the answer always is Forgiveness & love.

Always say the truth and nothing but the truth how you see it in your heart & where is your heart is where your happiness will be... yet don't expect everyone to agree with you and somehow the majority of people still weak and judge one another.

For example if i mention "I want to eliminate poverty from the face of earth" or "I want to unite Christians in one Church & one Love" as an action in a statement what reaction shall i get from the church it self?
1- You can't do it, and who you think your self you are even to think like that.

When a human reach the perfection of love as Jesus Christ teach's it, he will become very humble by letting other be as they are in there thoughts and believes, by loving everyone and respecting what there point of view... It's not that you are wrong or they are wrong or you are right and all are right... simply the truth defer from one human to another as each one of us live according to a unique frequency which let us see life all life from our heart and from our eyes from our unique perspective.

Now you have 2 choices or you can run to a cave and worship God all your life how saints do running from people... or you can keep on corresponding with people and live an ordinary life yet with a big heart :)

LOL Just me venting

Loyal
Sense the Word of God is a "mystery", and we speak the Word of God in a mystery, there should a person who is able to interpret this mystery to us. Well, the one who made it a mystery is the only one who holds it's meaning. Usually when we read the Bible, and if we don't understand its meaning we most of the time go to a "commentary" somewhere seeking clarification. Or, maybe we go online searching for understanding, or even maybe our pastor. These are all OK to do, and there is nothing wrong with doing them, but I find it most useful to go directly to the one who spoke the Word, and ask him for clarification. After all he is the only one who holds it's intended meaning as to why he said them. Our last choice should have been our first choice. But then again it is all about spiritual growth, and we will all get there eventually.

Administrator
Staff Member
We need to depend on the Holy Spirit for interpretation. But keep in mind the Word is living and God can speak the same passage differently from one person to another.

Job 32:6-9

So Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite spoke out and said, "I am young in years and you are old; Therefore I was shy and afraid to tell you what I think. "I thought age should speak, And increased years should teach wisdom. "But it is a spirit in man, And the breath of the Almighty gives them understanding.

Acts 6:9-10

But some men from what was called the Synagogue of the Freedmen, including both Cyrenians and Alexandrians, and some from Cilicia and Asia, rose up and argued with Stephen. But they were unable to cope with the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking.

1 Corinthians 2:12-14

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

Loyal
False Teaching and True Riches 1 Timothy 6:3

3 Anyone who has a different teaching does not agree with the true teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that shows the true way to serve God. 4 This person is full of pride and understands nothing, but is sick with a love for arguing and fighting about words. This brings jealousy, fighting, speaking against others, evil mistrust, 5 and constant quarrels from those who have evil minds and have lost the truth. They think that serving God is a way to get rich.

6 Serving God does make us very rich, if we are satisfied with what we have. 7 We brought nothing into the world, so we can take nothing out. 8 But, if we have food and clothes, we will be satisfied with that. 9 Those who want to become rich bring temptation to themselves and are caught in a trap. They want many foolish and harmful things that ruin and destroy people. 10 The love of money causes all kinds of evil. Some people have left the faith, because they wanted to get more money, but they have caused themselves much sorrow.

This type of scripture goes against the very fabric of what these prosperity preaches preach, that so many are led astray from the meaning of the word. Here the word "rich" takes on several meaning used in different context, the prosperity gospel would have you bevel that the word rich means in materialism things all the time, that is simply not true

6. Serving God does make us very rich, if we are satisfied with what we have
. Here the word clearly means being content makes you rich,

7. Those who want to become rich bring temptation to themselves and are caught in a trap
. Here the same exact words takes on a completely different meaning and is talking about worldly materialism being rich will bring on temptations that will usually cause a person to fall for a trap.

So the word rich can take on many different meanings in the word of God, Rich in eternal things is a far better thing then Rich in materialism things, and its a good thing to be able to tell the difference between the two.

Loyal

Is it not in the weakness of our flesh that God becomes strong?

" And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." II Cor 12:9

As a matter of fact you cannot, but what is impossible for God... and if God is really in us?

You are not those others and neither am I. The question we must however ask is: Is this work God's will for me?

As to eliminating poverty from the face of the earth, consider these words:

"When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.

For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always." Matt 26:10-11

Indeed this is the way that too many men, including many who call themselves believers, think: Should we ignore or erase the following words from the scripture?

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

And then again, who is it that is in us?

"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: " Col 1:27

I will grant that we are all different, but until we have overcome the world of our flesh as Jesus overcame his, part of our viewpoint is still likely to in error because of what we have not yet overcome!

Not an ordinary life, but a humble one where we are continually surrendering to God. If we can do this, then will not our lives be extraordinary in the eyes of God? Can we do it? Not alone, but then: Why did Jesus come?[/QUOTE]

Loyal
I think you are underestimating just how complex and subtle the Bible is, and how much even simple statements need interpretation.

take the sentence:

'I'm not saying you are stupid'

It's meaning is dependent on emphasis. We could pick it up from context, or from emphasis.

I'm not saying you are stupid

Many of Jesus sayings are cryptic: "beware of the yeast of the pharisees". We do need to be skilled in interpretation, and to learn from others in reading the Bible.

Loyal
I think you are underestimating just how complex and subtle the Bible is, and how much even simple statements need interpretation.

And the word "you" can be quite misleading especially when its antecedent is not clearly identified. I will often attempt to use the word "I" or "me" when speaking in the negative so as to avoid even appearing to be an accuser of the brethren. Over the decades of serving God I have changed my beliefs on various points many times. This makes me to know that God knows a lot more than I do and as I continue to surrender to Him, He continues to correct me. So then too often even after all of my decades of experience, it turns out that I am wrong again.

Give God the glory!

Loyal

Did Jesus show forgiveness and love when in the temple with the whip in His hand? The best response differs in different situations. When Jesus comes back with 10,000 angels with him, will it be to love and forgive those who oppose him?

Perhaps you have two choices, but those who listen to (and act upon) the voice of the Holy Spirit are not limited to well thought out choices that seem obvious.

Loyal
And the word "you" can be quite misleading especially when its antecedent is not clearly identified. I will often attempt to use the word "I" or "me" when speaking in the negative so as to avoid even appearing to be an accuser of the brethren. Over the decades of serving God I have changed my beliefs on various points many times. This makes me to know that God knows a lot more than I do and as I continue to surrender to Him, He continues to correct me. So then too often even after all of my decades of experience, it turns out that I am wrong again.

Give God the glory!

Hi @amadeus2 Fair points all of them.

My understanding of scripture has changed over the years too. I am wary of the view that we can obey the Bible without the need for interpreting it. Often we talk of the Bible as the 'users manual', but in fact it is nothing of the sort. It is an account of God revealing himself and his plan for creation to his people in a history that unfolds over hundreds of years. It addresses the needs of people in very different times, places and situations.

We are richer and wiser if we approach the scriptures with prayerful reverence and care rather than be too quick to announce 'the bible says'.