• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

So "Repentance" isn't relevant anymore?

Is repentance more important today than ever before in history?

• yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • no

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Praise God, do not take my message as being negative, quite the contrary, i say this because I have been on a long fast now, still continuing, and it is very clear from the Lord that the message is we are living in deceiving times, when peace and safety and tickling of the ears is popular today.

Lets face it, if there was a church where the primary message was "repentance" attendance would dwindle, it is not what people want to hear, but it is the message we need today.

The world is lost, Christians are lost, they get caught up arguing about precepts and misconceptions and debates, this really does not concern our spirits and souls, what does is daily repentance, for we all fail miserably, no matter what you think pride and ego are always lurking close by.

Repent is more than feeling bad, it is about making a definite decision, to turn your back on your old life, and live a new life according to righteousness, and I will keep it as simple as that, because it should be.

There should be no discussion or debate, the world has gone mad, and people everywhere have been lead astray, we should be ashamed of ourselves, people are suffering all over the world, very badly, we are fortunate, and we should find the way to make a difference in this world, as Jesus said, "When you have done it to the least of these."

i won't listen to any pastor that is to afraid to tell the truth and speak about repentance, they have nothing more than "fear" and tickle the ears.

Peace and Love

Paula

Loyal
I don't know that it's "more" important. But I would say it's certainly just as important as it always was.

Loyal
I am curios why you tell us that you fast??

Repentance is as important today is it was 2000 years ago like B-A-C said

A group on face book called basic theology teaches no repentance is needed for salvation I disagree with that and left the group just putting that out there so people can be warned

Active
Praise God, do not take my message as being negative, quite the contrary, i say this because I have been on a long fast now, still continuing, and it is very clear from the Lord that the message is we are living in deceiving times, when peace and safety and tickling of the ears is popular today.

Lets face it, if there was a church where the primary message was "repentance" attendance would dwindle, it is not what people want to hear, but it is the message we need today.

The world is lost, Christians are lost, they get caught up arguing about precepts and misconceptions and debates, this really does not concern our spirits and souls, what does is daily repentance, for we all fail miserably, no matter what you think pride and ego are always lurking close by.

Repent is more than feeling bad, it is about making a definite decision, to turn your back on your old life, and live a new life according to righteousness, and I will keep it as simple as that, because it should be.

There should be no discussion or debate, the world has gone mad, and people everywhere have been lead astray, we should be ashamed of ourselves, people are suffering all over the world, very badly, we are fortunate, and we should find the way to make a difference in this world, as Jesus said, "When you have done it to the least of these."

i won't listen to any pastor that is to afraid to tell the truth and speak about repentance, they have nothing more than "fear" and tickle the ears.

Peace and Love

Paula
Don't you think that if the "repentance" is true, you won't need to repeat it?

Loyal
To "repent" has nothing to do with "changing your ways". The word "repent" means " to change your mind" A man's ways are connected to what he thinks. Changing ones thoughts (repent) changes man's ways.
Walking in the Spirit hast to do with what you are thinking about!

Rom 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.

Repent means stop thinking on the things of the flesh, and start thinking on the things of the Spirit.

Staff Member
To couple together the thoughts brought up here that I have seen. The problem that happens is what was brought up by James.

But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways. James 1:6-8

So, the faithful person that does not waver asking assistance in changing their minds from where it is, will receive from God. The person who is double-minded, whether intentional or not, wanting it both ways, should not wonder why God is not answering. Change in how one is doing things might be in order for this person, for Hope springs eternal and He is forever faithful.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
perhaps in order to get true repentance it takes repeating, it did with me.
Only your last repentance was real.
And if you break that repentance too, it too was false.
Repentance isn't a band-aid.
It is a complete reversal of mind, and hence, action.

Don't you think that if the "repentance" is true, you won't need to repeat it?

If we truly led sin free lives maybe that would be true. Even in the Lord's prayer repentence was a part of that prayer.

Mat 6:12: "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors."

What if somebody offends us and makes us really angry? We still need to forgive them in order to be forgiven.

Mat 6:14-15: "For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

I believe repentence is a part of our lifestyle here on earth. It keeps us aware of the massive gift Christ obtained for us and keeps us clean from all sins.

Active
If we truly led sin free lives maybe that would be true.
Doesn't "turning from" sin make you an ex-sinner?

Even in the Lord's prayer repentence was a part of that prayer.
Mat 6:12: "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors."
Jesus spoke these words to OT men who could not yet be reborn. Thus enabled to kill the old man and be "raised with Christ to walk in newness of life".
In fact repentance from sin hadn't even been offered to the Gentiles yet.

What if somebody offends us and makes us really angry? We still need to forgive them in order to be forgiven.
Mat 6:14-15: "For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."
It is written..."Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:" (Eph 4:26)

I believe repentence is a part of our lifestyle here on earth. It keeps us aware of the massive gift Christ obtained for us and keeps us clean from all sins.
Is water baptism also "part of our lifestyle here on earth"?
It shouldn't be, as baptism is a step.
So too is repentance from sin.
It is written..."Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38)
Peter didn't say..."Repent and be baptized", and repent, and repent, and repent, and repent, and repent, and repent, repent...
It doesn't make sense for someone who loves God to need to keep turning from everything they already "turned from".

Doesn't "turning from" sin make you an ex-sinner?

Jesus spoke these words to OT men who could not yet be reborn. Thus enabled to kill the old man and be "raised with Christ to walk in newness of life".
In fact repentance from sin hadn't even been offered to the Gentiles yet.

It is written..."Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:" (Eph 4:26)

Is water baptism also "part of our lifestyle here on earth"?
It shouldn't be, as baptism is a step.
So too is repentance from sin.
It is written..."Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." (Acts 2:38)
Peter didn't say..."Repent and be baptized", and repent, and repent, and repent, and repent, and repent, and repent, repent...
It doesn't make sense for someone who loves God to need to keep turning from everything they already "turned from".

You seem to hold a belief that we are sin free once we repent and become born again. In reality most Christians slip at times for whatever reason and repentence restores them to right-standing and closes the door to satan.

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Remember what Jesus said to the church at Ephesus?

Rev. 2:5 ‘Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place — unless you repent.

Loyal
At Peace said --Don't you think that if the "repentance" is true, you won't need to repeat it?

just the opposite my freind if it is true repentance you will repeat it until you do not have to .

Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Member
For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that He had said before,

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
Hebrews 10:14-18

Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way, which He hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, His flesh; and having an high priest over the house of God; let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised; ) and let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:19-25

But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions; partly, whilst ye were made a gazingstock both by reproaches and afflictions; and partly, whilst ye became companions of them that were so used. For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

For yet a little while, and He that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.
Hebrews 10:32-39

These things I command you, that ye love one another. John 15:17

Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place — unless you repent.
Revelation 2:5

Active
You seem to hold a belief that we are sin free once we repent and become born again.
Yes, I do.
And I give God the glory and thanksgiving that He earned by His death and resurrection from the dead.

In reality most Christians slip at times for whatever reason
That doesn't line-up with 1 John 3:9.

and repentence restores them to right-standing and closes the door to satan.
Would a man who loves God above all else keep reopening that door?

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
If we CAN have all our unrighteousness cleansed, why can we not also remain in the light? (1 John 1:7)

Remember what Jesus said to the church at Ephesus?
Rev. 2:5 ‘Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place — unless you repent.
If a man quits smoking, is he still a smoker? No
If a man repents of smoking, is he still a smoker? No
If after two years of freedom from smoking he smokes again, is he a smoker? Yes.
Now substitute the word "Liar" for "Smoker".
Then insert the word "Thief". And "Adulterer", and "Murderer".
The only way to lose that moniker is to totally and forever quit smoking, lying, stealing, and killing. etc.
That is "repentance".

Active
At Peace said --Don't you think that if the "repentance" is true, you won't need to repeat it?

just the opposite my freind if it is true repentance you will repeat it until you do not have to .
I quit "having to" when I really repented.
It is written..."For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death." (2 Cor 7:10)
My sorrow for my sins was not "worldly sorrow".
I will not repent of my repentance, as the world does.

Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

--

Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

--

Rev 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Rev 2:16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

--

Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

--

1Jn 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us

Active
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
Rev 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Rev 2:16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
Just a quick question...what will the above targeted individuals be when they do "turn from" their sin?
Ex-sinners.
Further sin would manifest a repentance that was false.

--
1Jn 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us
John is writing to the church...about two very different kinds of walks, and two very different kinds of men..
Some walk in the darkness, sin, and some walk in the light, God.
The verses intended for the folks in the darkness don't apply to those in the light.
Neither do the verses intended for those walking in God apply to those walking in sin.
Verse 6, 8, and 10 are intended for those who still commit sin.
For those who walk in the light, God, all their sin has been washed away.
They can say they have no sin.
God makes it possible to remain in the light as long as we want to keep working toward our salvation..."Endure till the end!"