• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Smoking.

Smoking was around the whole time when the bible was being written. Not tobacco but other substances such as opium, and yet it doesn’t even get a mention. Alcohol on the other hand does, not to be a drunkard. Everything in moderation. So smoking in moderation is not a sin

Also people putting there own ideas forward as to what is and what is not a sin that isn’t mentioned in the bible is a sin in itself.

Homosexuality is a sin.... man shall not lie with man is clearly mentioned in the bible.. but they allow gay victors.. the church is trying to keep up with modern times to stay relevant.. and in the process making themselves more irrelevant. Jesus will punish them.

Active
Smoking is not mentioned as a sin but it is certainly harmful to the body. Our bodies are to be the temple of God, so we ought to not defile or damage it. Even smoking in moderation brings harm to the body. Why are you excusing what you do with the sins of others? They are accountable for what they did, you are accountable for what you did.

If it was a sin it would of been made clear. The old arguments that say it wasn't mentioned as a sin because smoking didn't exist in the days the bible was being written are simply not true as I have already pointed out. Therefore saying it is an all out sin is wrong. There are levels of wrongdoing yes but not all of them are counted as all out sins. Only the one mentioned in the bible are.

Active
Smoking is really bad for you, so is eating too much and not doing any exercise. If you were in the army doing all those things you'd expect to be shouted at by the sargeant major.

Enxu's right, God's given you a body, so look after it. The definition of sin that I like best is, anything that's less than God. Looking after your body so that you can do His work rather than fighting off self inflicted chronic illnesses has to be a good thing to be encouraged.

So, yes pack in the fags!

Smoking is really bad for you, so is eating too much and not doing any exercise. If you were in the army doing all those things you'd expect to be shouted at by the sargeant major.

Enxu's right, God's given you a body, so look after it. The definition of sin that I like best is, anything that's less than God. Looking after your body so that you can do His work rather than fighting off self inflicted chronic illnesses has to be a good thing to be encouraged.

So, yes pack in the fags!
It seems you don't know the differance between wrongdoing and sin. And there is a very real and big differance. If it's not a biblical sin do not quote it as a sin. We can not put our own slant on the divine word of God!

And eating solidified animal fat like a lot of people do I.e excessive amounts of steak and big fat lard cooked chips will do a lot more damage to the human body than a few fags per day. No one ever says that's a sin. We should all be careful what we decide is a sin and what is not a sin. Because it is not up to us to decide.

It says throughout the bible to eat right and to prosper and be in good health, I don't think God would approve of lard chips lol. What's healthy about smoking?

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (MEV)

"What? Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God, and that you are not your own? You were bought with a price. Therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s."

1 Corinthians 10:31 (MEV)

"Therefore, whether you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God."

Administrator
Staff Member
Smoking was around the whole time when the bible was being written. Not tobacco but other substances such as opium, and yet it doesn’t even get a mention. Alcohol on the other hand does, not to be a drunkard. Everything in moderation. So smoking in moderation is not a sin

What does this have to do with member introduction? I have moved it to bible study forum instead where it's appropriate.

It says throughout the bible to eat right and to prosper and be in good health, I don't think God would approve of lard chips lol. What's healthy about smoking?

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (MEV)

"What? Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God, and that you are not your own? You were bought with a price. Therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s."

1 Corinthians 10:31 (MEV)

"Therefore, whether you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God."
What's healthy about smoking you ask. Ok

In fact, nicotine itself even has some benefits. For instance, research has linked chewing nicotine gum with improved short-term memory, and other studies point to nicotine being at play in why smokers are less likely to develop Parkinson's disease. Nicotine also seems to reduce stress and anxiety, and stabilize mood.

Active
What's healthy about smoking you ask. Ok

In fact, nicotine itself even has some benefits. For instance, research has linked chewing nicotine gum with improved short-term memory, and other studies point to nicotine being at play in why smokers are less likely to develop Parkinson's disease. Nicotine also seems to reduce stress and anxiety, and stabilize mood.

Paul spoke on many ''sins'' in the context of ''as one entrusted by God to give my opinion on a matter''. He did this on marriage and many more matters. As Christians we can do the same. The laws needed to be given to Jews. Christians have direct access to the knowledge of what pleases and displeases God via the Holy Spirit and Jesus in us / laws of God are written on our hearts Heb 10:16. This is why Jesus said we could some up all the laws in two Matt 22:40.

So, we need to ask the question ''Does smoking upset / hurt God?'' and then ''does smoking upset / hurt others''.

I would say a definite yes to it upsetting God as God loves us and wants to use us on earth. Smoking can interfere with His plans as...tar from cigarettes clogs in your lungs leading to breathing problems, emphysema and death.

Loyal
Apply yourself to what is best.

A pack of 20 cigs costs around £15. It's difficult to argue that best way to spend this is on a product that damages your health, props up an exploitative industry and has no benefit to anyone else.

I've recently given up lighting up as a response to stress. Life is much better without the habit.

'Is it a sin?' is the wrong question. The better questions are 'is it good?', 'does this honour God?'

Apply yourself to what is best.

A pack of 20 cigs costs around £15. It's difficult to argue that best way to spend this is on a product that damages your health, props up an exploitative industry and has no benefit to anyone else.

I've recently given up lighting up as a response to stress. Life is much better without the habit.

'Is it a sin?' is the wrong question. The better questions are 'is it good?', 'does this honour God?'

I just wanted to clarify that it is not an absolute sin to smoke.... Does everything you do absolutely EVERYTHING you do honour god?.?

Loyal
1 Cor 3:16; Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
1 Cor 3:17; If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

Smoking ain't a sin. It just a bad habit.

All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything. 1 Corinthians
6:12

For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved. 2 Peter 2:19

If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple. 1 Corinthians 3:17

Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. Psalm 119:37

No one even actually adressed my first point in all of this... Smoking was around when the bible was being written but it doesn't even get a mention.. I just think a lot of modern Christians want to say somethings a sin that they don't personally like.. I don't like uneven paths .. you can trip and fall on them.. They must be a sin too... nicotine has a lot of health benefits... where as caffeine had absolutely NONE,!!! ....The stimulatory effects of high caffeine intake may cause your heart to beat faster. It may also lead to altered heartbeat rhythm, called atrial fibrillation, which has been reported in young people who consumed energy drinks containing extremely high doses of caffeine .... But no one here will say drinking coffee is a sin .. or is even wrong doing.... you people need to get a grip like... Smoking help memory staves of things like Parkinson's disease and has a lot of other health benefits .. sure it also has some bad side effects like most things do.... But caffeine has no health benefits and is pretty much just deadly poison ..... But no one here will say drinking coffee is a bloody sin.. unless your a Mormon of course lol....