• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Smoking and Faith

I feel like I am losing my faith. I belive in God and that He sent His son to die on the cross for my sins. It just that sometimes it is hard for me to believe in something that you can't see. I guess that is where faith comes in. Please pray for me I don't want to feel like that anymore. Also I've been a smoker for six years. Some days I want to quit and some days I don't. I know all things are possible for God but the one thing that deters me from quitting smoking is the withdrawl. Please pray for me in both these issues I am having.

I prayed for you...just trust that the Lord will lead you into all truth.

As far as your smoking, quit judging yourself, God is able to take that desire from you. Don't let others dictate your convictions, if it stumbles them, refrain from smoking around them.
Sometimes people condemning a person really builds a wall between a searching heart and faith. God is there either way. Just trust Him always for all things. He is for real.

Hello Navy, Good to have you on the forums of Talkjesus'

Bad news that 'Old Nick' has hung the weed on you.

Dont buy anymore. Would be my advice.

Breath Gods fresh air. Taste food and drink as God made it. O.K. so we all suffer from mans intervention in food and drink. But it is good.

And so much tastier and fragrant without the 'weed'

Kick it off chum.....and be blessed....In Jesus.

Wishing you well.........

I feel like I am losing my faith. I belive in God and that He sent His son to die on the cross for my sins. It just that sometimes it is hard for me to believe in something that you can't see. I guess that is where faith comes in. Please pray for me I don't want to feel like that anymore. Also I've been a smoker for six years. Some days I want to quit and some days I don't. I know all things are possible for God but the one thing that deters me from quitting smoking is the withdrawl. Please pray for me in both these issues I am having.

I am praying for you. I pray your desire to smoke will be eliminated from your life. In Jesus' Name! Amen!

My brother, you are in my prayers.
The answer to your query is really quite simple-
Jer 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
God is not a distant God but a real and living God who's greatest desire is to be an intimate part of every aspect of your life. He gladly paid a terrible price to remove all barriers between you and Him and we may (if we choose) enter into His presence. Once one decides to press into God's presence that one never needs question God's reality again and the presence of God is incomparable.
Make a commitment to do the following basic steps:
1. Read the Word of God daily. Ask the Holy Spirit (our Teacher) to give you revaltion in it's meaning and how to apply it to your life.
2. Spend time daily in worship. This is the most intimate form of communion; as one pours their heart out God-ward the Father pours His love on them and like two wines in a glass they mingle. One is always changed by the presence of God.
3. Pray. Spending time in prayer is talking to God not only about our needs but about everything in life.
If you do these things then you will find Him and you will no longer have room for doubt.
As far as the smoking issue-
Jer 29:14A And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity,
Religion would try to change the exterior habits. Jesus works from the inside out changing the heart .
When we choose to dwell in the presence of the Living God, when we daily seek His face, when we follow the cloud by day and the pillar by night (moving, praying, etc only at His leading) then the things of this world begin to loose power over us. We are changed, transformed, empowered and what used to draw us looses it's grasp in our life. We are meant to walk in freedom of all such bondage's but such freedom is not found in personal effort but in found living and walking daily in His presence.
Draw near my friend, all you need is found in Him.
Man y blessings in His wonderful Name,
brother Larry.

Can anyone recommened a book of the bible to study? One that will help me overcome these issues and learn more about Christ and the road to salvation.

Over the past month I have felt a bit odd. I had this feeling in my chest that was a bit odd. It was God and He was talking to me. He was telling me that I needed to repent and ask His forgivness. I did! I laid it all out. I asked Him to forgive me and that I wanted Him to be in control of my life. I instantly felt better! Praise God! I'm still struggling with smoking... Now to tell the girl that I'm dating that it's not okay for us to do something that we have been doing. I hope she understands. If not she isn't the one God made for me. Keep praying that I will stay on this path.

Wow I really admire your honesty in what
you have written.

Smoking is an addiction. some people can
quit easy, others it's really really hard.
I pray that it becomes easy for you and I
pray God gives you the strength to overcome
this obstacle in your life.

It's been said
What we need to survive in this life is
FOOD, WATER AND SHELTER.
I'd like to add to that JESUS CHRIST, who
helps us in times of trouble
ALWAYS!

you can beat this addiction!

I HAVE FAITH IN YOU.

Nobody can see the wind, only its effects, but the wind is real - noone doubts it. God is like the wind, but too many doubt His existance.

YouTube - The Imperials - Bread Upon The Water

YouTube - Carman and DCTalk - Addicted To Jesus

"You shall love the Lord Your GOD above all else."
^in Bible but can't find referance.

STEPS TO HEALING AND DELIVERANCE
Strongholds

As with any problem, the 1st step toward victory is to realize a problem exists.

2nd, Embrace the blood of Jesus. His blood is sufficient! Jesus won the victory for us when he hung on the cross, and "by His stripes we are healed" (Isaiah 53:5). There is no victory apart from the blood of Jesus.

The 3rd step: remembering that Satan can only gain influence over us through the flesh, we must learn to lay down the "old man", the carnal nature - "die to self". Then, in submission to God, let Him bring forth the new creature we became when we accepted Jesus as savior and Lord, thereby truly begin to "walking in the Spirit". Satan has no access when we are controlled & owned by the Spirit of God.
This may be the most important step, and one not widely taught.

Bible verses on addictions (NASB unless stated):

Genesis 4:7
If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it."
also ck-out
Jer. 3:12; Mic. 7:18; Num. 32:23; Job 11:14,15 & Rom. 6:12,16

Proverbs 14:12
There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death.
also ck-out Prov. 12:15;16:25 & Rom. 6:21

John 8:32,36
32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
36 So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Galatians 5:1,13
1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.
13 For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

1 Peter 2:16
Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God.

James 2:10 (Young's Literal Translation)
for whoever the whole law shall keep, and shall stumble in one [point], he hath become guilty of all

part of Luke 16:13 (NIV)
"No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other.
..."

Matthew 16:24-26 (Amplified Bible)
24Then Jesus said to His disciples, If anyone desires to be My disciple, let him deny himself [disregard, lose sight of, and forget himself and his own interests] and take up his cross and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying, also].
- 25For whoever is bent on saving his [temporal] life [his comfort and security here] shall lose it [eternal life]; and whoever loses his life [his comfort and security here] for My sake shall find it [life everlasting].
- 26For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life [his blessed life in the kingdom of God]? Or what would a man give as an exchange for his [blessed] life [in the kingdom of God]?
- - [Joseph Thayer, A Greek-English Lexicon]

Matthew 5:14,16
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden… Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. "

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

Proverbs 3:5-8
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
8 It will be healing to your body
And refreshment to your bones.

-

Also check-out below verses meantioned as possible help for those with addictions on BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages.

Isaiah 1:18-20; Revelation 3:20; Romans 8:11, 10:1-4, 10:13; John 3:3-6, 5:37-39, 6:40, 7:37-39, 11:25-26, 14:1-14, 17:15-26, 20:29-31; 2 Corinthians 4:13-14.
Matthew 11:28-30; Proverbs 16:3; 2 Corinthians 6:20; John 3:16-26; Romans 5:17, 6:12-14, 10:9-10; 1 John 4:15-17; 5:4-5; John 10:17-18 12-14; 1 Corinthians 5:15-21; Philippians 3:7-9; 1 Pet 1:13-16.
Psalms 19:14, 139:23-24; Ephesians 4:17-5:21; Galatians 5:13-16; Mark 7:20-23; 1 John 1:8, 3:19-24; Ezekiel 36:26-31; 2 Corinthians 6:14-17; Romans 8:5-9, 12:1-3, 13:11-14; John 8:34-36.
Psalms 32:1-5; Proverbs 20:9, 28:13; Luke 12:2-3; John 3:19-21; 1 John 1:8-10, 2:1-2; James 5:16.
Galatians 1:3-5; Hebrews 4:13-16, 8:10-12; Acts 3:19; John 1:29; Ephesians 1:7, 2:3-5, 4:31-32; 1 John 3:4-6, 3:9-10; 2 Peter 2:24; Romans 12:1-2; 2 Timothy 2:15.
Psalms 32:5, 41:4, 51:1-13; Proverbs 1:7, 15:33, 20:9, 22:4, 28:13; Matthew 3:1-2, 18:10-14; 1 Peter 5:6-7;
1 John 1:9.
Proverbs 14:9, 20:22, 24:29; John 13:34-35; Matthew 5:21-24, 6:14-15, 7:12; 1 John 2:9-11; Mark 11:25; Luke 6:27-28; 1 Peter 4:7-8.
Ezekiel 33:14-15; Romans 13:7-8; Proverbs 25:21-22; 1 Peter 3:13; Matthew 25:40.
1 Peter 1:22-32, 2:16-17; Luke 12:1-3; Ephesians 4:25-26; 2 Timothy 2:14:-16, 2:23-24; 1 Corinthians 10:12-13, 13:4-11; Philippians 2:1-4, 2:12-15; Romans 12:3; 1 John 1:9; James 1:22.
Ephesians 3:14-19, 6:18; Psalms 1:1-3, 40:8, 119:10-11, 143:10; Matthew 6:5-13, 7:7-8, 12:50, 18:18-20, 26:41; John 16:23-24; Acts 1:14, 4:2-13; 2 Corinthians 10:4-5; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.
Acts 1:8; 2 Corinthians 1:3-4; Galatians 6:1-2; 1 Peter 4:7-8, 5:8-9; Jude 20-23; 2 Timothy 4:3-5; Matthew 10:7-8, 10:16-33; 1 Corinthians 9:19-23; John 8:31-32, 15:15-17.

Last edited: