• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Slaves of God (1 Cor. 6:18-20)

Active
Slavery is the most accurate depiction of the human race. We are slaves either of satan and his world system or of God and His Kingdom. As has been said many times, you are going to serve someone. For some reason we as Christians believe that when we are saved we are freed from slavery and given independence. Slavery is evil and independence is good, we like to think. But that is not true. When you were born-again, you changed slave masters. You didn't become independent. You were set free from one slave master and brought under another. This is a hard lesson for believers to accept and most especially those in the U.S. whose country is based on political 'independence'.

The nature of the slave masters is entirely different, of course. satan is evil and God is good. satan despises and hates God's creation of man, and God loves His creation of man. satan will do all he can to destroy man. God does all He can to save man. Whom do we want to serve? We who are believers say we want to serve God and Christ who has provided the purchase price for us. (1 Cor. 6:20) "For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

Did you note that last phrase, "which are God's"? Does He own you? Yes. Why? Because He paid the price for you. He bought you off the slave market. He didn't purchase you out of a super market. It was a slave market.

Consider Hosea's wife. Hosea was commanded by God to take a wife of whoredoms which he did, Gomer. (Hos. 1:2-3) Why did God do that? Because Israel, the wife of God, had become adulterous. He had divorced her. (Jer. 3:8) (Hos. 2:1) God forces upon Hosea the experience of this adulterous relationship that He was going through with Israel. But God is not done with His wife. He will court her once again. (Hos. 2:14) He will bring her back and marry her once again. (Hos. 2:19) And Hosea will experience what God will experience in this also. (Hos. 3:1)

So, Hosea now is to love this adulterous woman, Gomer, who is his wife and get her back. Where is she? Off in harlotry somewhere enslaved by someone or some temple prostitution. Wherever she was at, Hosea, in loving her, had to buy her back. (Hos. 3:2) "So I bought her to me for fifteen pieces of silver, and for an homer of barley, and an half homer of barley:" How humiliating this must have been for Hosea. Purchasing his wife who he loved while she was yet in her whoredoms. He now was not just her husband but he legally owned her. And so he commands her to cease her harlotry. (Hos. 3:3)

I don't think I need to explain the parallel this has to us who are Christians. It is rather obvious. And Paul has made it clear that we are 'bought with a price' and we are not our own. We have changed slave masters. We have been set free to 'serve' Another.

Quantrill

Active
Slavery is the most accurate depiction of the human race.

The wicked part, yes.

We are slaves either of satan and his world system or of God and His Kingdom.
No we are not. We are slaves of sin or righteousness.

As has been said many times, you are going to serve someone.
Choosing to serve someone does not make you their slave. Likewise, a master is not by default a slaver.

For some reason we as Christians believe that when we are saved we are freed from slavery and given independence.

We have independence before and after. We never lose it. No independence is wicked. God is good, not wicked. He is righteous in all His ways.

Slavery is evil and independence is good, we like to think. But that is not true. When you were born-again, you changed slave masters. You didn't become independent. You were set free from one slave master and brought under another. This is a hard lesson for believers to accept and most especially those in the U.S. whose country is based on political 'independence'.
When you were born again you were set free from....sin. Not independence to ignore God. This is why many think Christians can lose their salvation. Christians can continue to ''ignore'' God.

The nature of the slave masters is entirely different, of course. satan is evil and God is good. satan despises and hates God's creation of man, and God loves His creation of man. satan will do all he can to destroy man. God does all He can to save man. Whom do we want to serve? We who are believers say we want to serve God and Christ who has provided the purchase price for us. (1 Cor. 6:20) "For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."
What you are not understanding is that slavery is a product of an evil person. Only satan would think of his followers as slaves. God would never!

We are bought with a price, therefore....be righteous. Not a slave of sin. ''Glorify God in your body''. It is in relation to sin.

Did you note that last phrase, "which are God's"? Does He own you? Yes. Why? Because He paid the price for you. He bought you off the slave market. He didn't purchase you out of a super market. It was a slave market.
Both the body and spirit are vessels for our will. God made them, yes. They are His, yes. This does not equate to us being slaves or not having independence with them.

Imagine paying for plastic surgery on someone who needed it but could not afford it. You then propose that you own them and can touch them whenever you want. That is God? I think not.

Consider Hosea's wife. Hosea was commanded by God to take a wife of whoredoms which he did, Gomer. (Hos. 1:2-3) Why did God do that? Because Israel, the wife of God, had become adulterous. He had divorced her. (Jer. 3:8) (Hos. 2:1) God forces upon Hosea the experience of this adulterous relationship that He was going through with Israel. But God is not done with His wife. He will court her once again. (Hos. 2:14) He will bring her back and marry her once again. (Hos. 2:19) And Hosea will experience what God will experience in this also. (Hos. 3:1)

So, Hosea now is to love this adulterous woman, Gomer, who is his wife and get her back. Where is she? Off in harlotry somewhere enslaved by someone or some temple prostitution. Wherever she was at, Hosea, in loving her, had to buy her back. (Hos. 3:2) "So I bought her to me for fifteen pieces of silver, and for an homer of barley, and an half homer of barley:" How humiliating this must have been for Hosea. Purchasing his wife who he loved while she was yet in her whoredoms. He now was not just her husband but he legally owned her. And so he commands her to cease her harlotry. (Hos. 3:3)
This example is not of slavery. It is of a bride who does not want to give up sin. A better example would be if she was a sex slave. Would Hosea then ever reciprocate this slavery of whoredom in a direction of public service? ''Oh dear, you were forced into slavery as a *****, now be a slave to cleaning the streets''. I think not. In her mind she will hate both slavers. Slavers and slavery is wicked. There is no getting around it.

I don't think I need to explain the parallel this has to us who are Christians. It is rather obvious. And Paul has made it clear that we are 'bought with a price' and we are not our own. We have changed slave masters. We have been set free to 'serve' Another.

We are not our own? That is heresy.

You are coming unstuck because you are inferring that all disobedience is sin. It is not. We could make this statement with God however as He would never make requests of us that rob us of our independence. As He is righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17.

Active
@KingJ

Slavery is the condition of the human race...period. When God created Adam and Eve, were they independent? Were they not given land to take care of... and God would take care of them? Was God not their Lord whom they served? Did God not lay down the laws by which they were to obey? Slavery is not a product of an evil person. It is the product of God. An evil being has demonized slavery because it is a product of God. There is no independence in God's rule.

You say the example of Hosea is not an example of slavery. (Hosea 3:2) "So I bought her" You live in a dream world.

You say that "we are not our own" is heresy. (1 Cor. 6:19-20) "...and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price...." You live in a dream world.

You have no independence with God. God is your Master. Jesus Christ is your Lord and is to be worshipped. You have been given commands that call for obedience. Your independence is an illusion.

You are a perfect example of the politically correct god. The social god. The goodness of man god. The nauseating god.

Quantrill

Active
Slavery is the condition of the human race...period. When God created Adam and Eve, were they independent? Were they not given land to take care of... and God would take care of them?
They did not have to take care of anything. The only sin was to eat of the forbidden fruit. If they took care of the land, they chose to do that. God gave them something to do. Something they would be interested in doing. Not forced to do.

Was God not their Lord whom they served? Did God not lay down the laws by which they were to obey? Slavery is not a product of an evil person. It is the product of God. An evil being has demonized slavery because it is a product of God. There is no independence in God's rule.
There is 100% independence in God's rule. There is only laws on mortal sins and being unrepentant. These people have to be separated. That is it. Full stop right there. God is not a slaver.

It is not evil people who have demonized slavery. Slavery / slavers is evil, period. I think you need to re-visit the definition of slavery.

You say the example of Hosea is not an example of slavery. (Hosea 3:2) "So I bought her" You live in a dream world.

You can buy her independence. Did you not read what I wrote? ''She was a sex slave'', now I will make her a slave in my kitchen?

Quantrill, go call your wife a slave and see what she says about that. Go and demand your kids are your slaves. We are referred to by God as His bride and children. Not his ''slaves''.

You say that "we are not our own" is heresy. (1 Cor. 6:19-20) "...and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price...." You live in a dream world.
You are manipulating this verse to say something it does not and truly not grasping what is being said. The whole A-Z of servants, slaves and 'bought with a price' is in relation to sin and righteousness. I have said this to you umpteen times now. 1 Cor 6:19-20 ''therefore glorify God with your bodies''.

You have no independence with God.
This is a 100% heretical statement. You twist what Paul is saying in 1 Cor 6:19-20 to make us swallow this turd. That is false teaching.

God is your Master. Jesus Christ is your Lord and is to be worshipped.
We choose to worship Jesus and God. In heaven you will not be forced to worship. God is not a tyrant or slaver.

You have been given commands that call for obedience. Your independence is an illusion.
All God has created and all God has done for us points 100% to true free will and true independence. God treating us respectfully. God being righteous. You mock God and all He has done with this view of yours.

There is only a separation between repentant and unrepentant sinners. Unrepentant sinners have independence in hell. Repentant sinners have independence in heaven.

You are a perfect example of the politically correct god. The social god. The goodness of man god. The nauseating god.
Politically correct? Goodness of man god? I assume you assume I am a universalist?

I believe God separates those who do not repent of their sins, including all the ''politically correct'' sinners, for all eternity. They will weep and gnash their teeth when they look up and see they are cast out Luke 13:28.

You are pushing a slight Calvinistic view of God. No true free will. No true independence. Insinuating God is a slaver of sought who demands we do X and Y. Not discerning that X and Y are things we would all expect of a ''good'' person.

Slavery and slaver are not words any Christian should use when teaching the unsaved about our God. Fullstop!

Active
I asked you if they (Adam and Eve) were independent. You didn't answer. See also (Gen. 1:28).

Again, you ignore the questions. Was God not their (Adam and Eve) Lord whom they served? Did God not lay down the laws which they were to obey? (Gen 1:28) (Gen. 2:16-17)

Hosea didn't buy Gomers independence. (Hosea 3:2-3) "So I bought her to me for fifteen pieces of silver....And I said unto her, Thou shalt abide for me....thou shalt not play the harlot...thou shalt not be for another...." That is not independence.

I just said what (1 Cor. 6:19-20) said. I haven't twisted anything. You claimed my statement, 'we are not our own' is heresy. Yet it isn't me that said it. It is God. (6:19) Now you say I am twisting it. Ridiculous.

I never said we will be forced to worship. I said God and Christ is our Lord. We serve him. We are bought and paid for by Him. We are slaves to God and Christ. This is not bad. This is good. It doesn't change the fact that we are bought and owned by Him. This is a picture of Master/slave.

That man has a 'will' does nothing to disprove that we are slaves to God. For some reason this is always your go to answer for everything. Man has a will, but we are still slaves to God.

No, you have wrong view of God and man when you have man being independent. There is nothing further from the truth. Man has never and will never be independent from God. Well, if you don't like slavery and our relationship to God as slaves, just rip those verses out of your Bible that speak to it. You will then have a Holy Bible full of holes.

You reject being a slave to God. Yet our Lord and Saviour did not. See (Heb. 10:5) and compare to (Ps.40:6)and compare to (Ex.21:2-6) What does that tell you? Nothing probably. But, it shows that when the Son took a human body, that was equivelent of having his ear pierced to the door post of His Masters house. And as a result, He would serve Him forever. Being a willful slave doesn't matter. You are a slave in the Masters house.

The Lord Jesus was willing to be subject and to serve forever. Yet you consider this tyrannical. See (1 Cor. 15:28).

Quantrill

Active
Slavery = bondage, drudgery, subjugation, involuntary servitude, abuse, evil, wicked, torture, overbearing. There is NO '''good'' slavery. What world are you living in?

Yes, let's include that in our definition of God why don't we. Even though the bible says He is righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17.

You cherry picked your scripture on slavery, got the context wrong and are now using this miss interpretation to push ''no independence''.

Active
Slavery = bondage, drudgery, subjugation, involuntary servitude, abuse, evil, wicked, torture, overbearing. There is NO '''good'' slavery. What world are you living in?

Yes, let's include that in our definition of God why don't we. Even though the bible says He is righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17.

You cherry picked your scripture on slavery, got the context wrong and are now using this miss interpretation to push ''no independence''.

When one uses the excuse that another is 'cherry picking' verses in the Bible, it is usually because they have no answer for them. I didn't cherry pick anything. All verses pertained to the subject. The fact is the Lord Jesus willingly submitted to being a Slave forever when He took a human body. Why should we be so averse to being the same.

The price that was paid for us, bought us, was the blood of Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 6:20) Will there ever be a time throughout all eternity....and that is a very long time....when the receipt is no longer necessary? 500 billion million years from now, will it still be necessary for us to be known as a blood bought people? Well whatever day you believe we no longer need to be seen as purchased by God and we are not our own that is the day you get your independence. I don't want any part of it.

Quantrill

Active
when the receipt is no longer necessary?
Our sin is fully paid for.

Well whatever day you believe we no longer need to be seen as purchased by God and we are not our own that is the day you get your independence.
Having our sins forgiven does not equate to us losing our independence.

Why do you think their are ranks among the angels if they all slaves commanded to do exactly as they are told?

You need to meditate on the definition of slavery a lot more.

Active
Our sin is fully paid for.

Having our sins forgiven does not equate to us losing our independence.

Why do you think their are ranks among the angels if they all slaves commanded to do exactly as they are told?

You need to meditate on the definition of slavery a lot more.

That is not an answer.

You never had independence to lose. You went from serving one master to Another.

What does the ranking of the angels have to do with it?

Slavery.....where one is purchased by another and serves. What is your definition of slavery? post [HASH=2092]#(8[/HASH])?

Understand, as I said before, slavery to God is good. And we who serve God, slaves, have been brought into a unique relationship to God. We have been made or born as children of God. Sometimes we are identified as the Body of Christ. Sometimes we are identified as the Bride of Christ. Neither negates the other. The same is true with our being slaves of God. We were purchased by God.

Quantrill

Staff Member
HELPS Word-studies

1401 doúlos (a masculine noun of uncertain derivation) – properly, someone who belongs to another; a bond-slave, without any ownership rights of their own. Ironically, 1401 /doúlos ("bond-slave") is used with the highest dignity in the NT – namely, of believers who willingly live under Christ's authority as His devoted followers.

Strong's Concordance

doulos: a slave

Original Word: δοῦλος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Adjective; Noun, Feminine; Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: doulos
Phonetic Spelling: (doo'-los)
Definition: a slave

Usage: (a) (as adj.) enslaved, (b) (as noun) a (male) slave.

see also:Greek Concordance: δοῦλος (doulos) -- 35 Occurrences

Staff Member
Interesting to note if you go beyond the ugly connotation of slave that more recent history still smarts with , although all slavery in times past has been on record as far from pretty, the actual word used, 'slave' has a meaning more akin to 'a different tongue'. We were once of the 'tongue of darkness but now having been purchased by the Blood of Christ we are of His tongue where our conversation is heavenly. Where once our words led to death, now through redemption we speak words of life.

Remember what they said about Jesus? This man speaks with authority. Likewise, they noted that the Apostles were unleearned men but they spoke words that turned the world upside down and they spoke with power.

A study on the word' slave brings out all manner of other words we use, too.

see also the Hebrew word for 'slave'
Of interest to the dialogue in this thread is the following. Notice it is one of politeness/respect/etiquette which one subjected themselves to for that reason. Not an evil or nasty word at all.

6 In polite address of equals or superiors the Hebrews used עַבְדְּךָ thy servant = 1 person singular, I, Genesis 18:3; 1 Samuel 20:7,8 (twice in verse); 2 Kings 8:13 +; עֲבָדֶיךָ thy servants = we Genesis 42:11; Isaiah 36:11; also עַבְדּוֺ his servant = I, 1 Samuel 26:18,19; 2 Samuel 14:22; 2 Samuel 24:21 +; also in addressing God, especially in prayer Exodus 4:10; Numbers 11:11; Judges 15:18; 1 Samuel 3:9,10; 1 Samuel 25:39; 2 Samuel 24:10; Psalm 19:12; Psalm 19:14; Psalm 27:9; Psalm 31:17; Psalm 35:27; Psalm 69:18; Psalm 109:28; Psalm 143:2 +.

see: Strong's Hebrew: 5650. עָ֫בֶד (ebed) -- slave, servant

Staff Member
Strong's Concordance
abad: to work, serve
Original Word: עָבַד
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: abad
Phonetic Spelling: (aw-bad')
Definition: to work, serve
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. root
Definition
to work, serve
NASB Translation
become slaves (1), been slaves (1), bondage (2), burdened (2), cultivate (7), cultivated (2), cultivates (1), do (6), do the work (1), enslaved (3), given (1), holding in bondage (1), imposed (1), keep (2), labor (3), laborers* (2), make servant (1), make slaves (2), manufacturers (1), observe (1), perform (9), performed (2), plowed (1), rendered (1), serve (141), served (52), serves (2), serving (5), slave (1), slaves (1), subject (1), till (1), tiller (1), tiller* (1), tills (2), use as slaves (1), used (1), uses services (1), work (7), worked (2), workers (2), working (1), worship (7), worshipers (6).

from: Strong's Hebrew: 5647. עָבַד (abad) -- to work, serve

Active
@Br. Bear

And, as an important point, which I have already made, slavery is the condition of mankind....period. This is where the rub comes. Man believes he is no slave. He will be no slave to anyone. Yet he is a slave whether he knows it or not.

This is why Christians have a hard time with slavery in the Bible not being addressed as evil. It has been portrayed as evil, but it itself is not evil. It is but the natural condition of man.

Quantrill

Staff Member
Greetings,

one can take an example from the things made by the LORD such as the air we breathe and water. Both are in themselves wondrous to behold, to understand and fathom and are needed vitally for our existence in this life and both are also known killers when either taken to extreme or excess. Even in our bodies, we have so many absolutely amazing things which work behind the scenes and yet do so without our consent or direction. Our bodies are slaves to the many things we are and live in. Likewise, the organs and organisms of our bodies are slaves to our existence, ordered by the LORD in such perfection and wisdom, and they must do as they are set out to do.... or else we die. We could perhaps take an example from the obedience of our bodies and do likewise in our thoughts, actions, words and deeds?
Jesus was obedient unto death and that death purchased me from the power and rule of darkness and to know that is a beautiful relief and joy.

May I share a Psalm?

1 Praise ye the LORD.
א
I will praise the LORD with my whole heart,
ב
in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation.
ג
2 The works of the LORD are great,
ד
sought out of all them that have pleasure therein.
ה
3 His work is honourable and glorious:
ו
and His righteousness endureth for ever.
ז
4 He hath made His wonderful works to be remembered:
ח
the LORD is gracious and full of compassion.
ט
5 He hath given meat unto them that fear Him:
י
He will ever be mindful of His covenant.
כ
6 He hath shewed His people the power of His works,
ל
that He may give them the heritage of the heathen.
מ
7 The works of His hands are verity and judgment;
נ
all His commandments are sure.
ס
8 They stand fast for ever and ever,
ע
and are done in truth and uprightness.
פ
9 He sent redemption unto His people:
צ
he hath commanded His covenant for ever:
ק
holy and reverend is His name.
ר
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom:
ש
a good understanding have all they that do His commandments:
ת
His praise endureth for ever.

Psalm 111

Who are we?

And ye My flock, the flock of My pasture, are men, and I am your God, saith the Lord GOD. Ezekiel 34:31

Know that the LORD is God. It is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, and the sheep of His pasture. Psalm 100:3

But thanks be to God that you who were slaves of sin have now become obedient from the heart to the pattern of teaching to which you were committed. And having been set free from sin, you have become slaves to righteousness. Romans 6:17-18

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
John 15:15; "No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.

Gal 4:7; Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.

Active
You never had independence to lose. You went from serving one master to Another.
Not true.
What does the ranking of the angels have to do with it?

If Angels were created without sin and as slaves who ''have'' to obey, why / how would you have one prove themselves above others and become deserving of a promotion?

Some obey, some don't. That is why we will judge them 1 Cor 6:3.

Slavery.....where one is purchased by another and serves. What is your definition of slavery? post
Slavery = bondage. It doesn't matter who your master is.

Understand, as I said before, slavery to God is good.
Slavery is NEVER good. Just ask any slave. If their master is ''good'', they tolerate their predicament. Is that your idea of Christianity? We will tolerate God?

And we who serve God, slaves, have been brought into a unique relationship to God. We have been made or born as children of God. Sometimes we are identified as the Body of Christ. Sometimes we are identified as the Bride of Christ. Neither negates the other. The same is true with our being slaves of God. We were purchased by God.
When a good person purchases a slave they set them free!

John 8:36 Who the Son sets free, is free indeed

Active
John 15:15; "No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.

Gal 4:7; Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.

Concerning (John 15:15), Christ no longer called them servants pertaining to their access to all that is from God. It does not mean they were no longer servants under Christ. And He shows it in (John 15:20). "...The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you...."

Concerning (Gal. 4:7), the same is true. Paul, who wrote, "thou art no more a servant, but a son" also wrote, "Paul a servant of Jesus Christ". (Rom. 1:1) And he also wrote, "...for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ." (Gal. 1:10) Sonship does not mean Jesus Christ is no longer our Lord. It does not mean we no longer serve Him, and will forever. (Rev. 22:3) "And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him."

Before we are made 'sons' we were bought with a price. Sonship does not remove the purchase price of blood. (1 Cor. 6:19-20) This is why I asked earlier, do you think there will ever be a time in eternity when we are no longer under the blood of Christ?....When the purchase price is no longer needed for us? If you say yes, there will be a time when we no longer need the blood of Christ, then whenever that time is, that is when we are no longer slaves of God.

Myself, I rejoice in being a slave of God and a son of God.

Quantrill