• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Signs of Christianity: Hope

Loyal
1Cor 13:13; But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

I'm an old guy. I've been going to church over 50 years. I've been saved almost 50 years. I've had to move around because of jobs and different things over the years,
so I've gone to a number of different churches. But to tell the truth, it seems like the church has moved around a little bit too.

In the 70's there was a popular song... it said.. "What the world needs now, is love sweet love"... the next line said.. "it's the only thing that there's just too little of".
I don't think this is true any longer. The church has gotten much better at teaching about love. But what I find many in the church don't have these days... is hope.

These are tumultuous times. People are scared. Even many Christians it seems. There is a church I drive by on the way home from "my church" every week.
I have thought about attending there a few times. As I was driving by some people were leaving early. I pulled into the parking lot and asked them "How was church this week?"
It turns out these people weren't saved. They weren't Christians, but they were looking for something. Looking for an answer. They didn't really know even what they were
looking for. But there was a teenager in the group. She said "The people in this church don't have any hope". Her (parents?) looked at her and nodded. One said to me...
"They are just as afraid of everything going on in the world as we are, the answer isn't here".

... wow...

It left me speechless for a minute. By the time I thought of an answer, they were already gone.

But they had a point... many in the church today have lost hope. They have faith, they have love... but they have little, or no, hope.
Oh they hope Jesus is coming back, they hope they are going to heaven, but they have no hope for the current world situation, or even their own personal situation.

We as Christians should have hope. When the vice of the world squeezes us... faith, love ...and.. HOPE should be oozing out of us. If we say we are Christians and we say we have
"the answer". Shouldn't there be some evidence of this?

Matt 12:17; This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet:
Matt 12:18; "BEHOLD, MY SERVANT WHOM I HAVE CHOSEN; MY BELOVED IN WHOM MY SOUL is WELL-PLEASED; I WILL PUT MY SPIRIT UPON HIM, AND HE SHALL PROCLAIM JUSTICE TO THE GENTILES.
Matt 12:19; "HE WILL NOT QUARREL, NOR CRY OUT; NOR WILL ANYONE HEAR HIS VOICE IN THE STREETS.
Matt 12:20; "A BATTERED REED HE WILL NOT BREAK OFF, AND A SMOLDERING WICK HE WILL NOT PUT OUT, UNTIL HE LEADS JUSTICE TO VICTORY.
Matt 12:21; "AND IN HIS NAME THE GENTILES WILL HOPE."

Most of us here on TalkJesus are Gentiles (we aren't Israelites of Jewish descent). But do we have 'hope" in Jesus? Do we believe He is greater than any thing in the world?
Why don't we act like it?

Ephesian 6 talks about putting on the armor of God. But it leaves out any mention of "hope" in putting on the armor. However if you jump over the 1st Thessalonians.
1Thes 5:8; But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation.
1Thes 5:9; For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,

Part of our helmet.. is hope. It's something we have to "put on" (like armor) when we are getting ready for battle. For those who don't know it, the battle is already here.

... to be continued ...

Loyal
Col 1:25; Of this church I was made a minister according to the stewardship from God bestowed on me for your benefit, so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God,
Col 1:26; that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints,
Col 1:27; to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
Col 1:28; We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, so that we may present every man complete in Christ.

Paul says he was made a minister of the church at Colossae. (so that he could preach Gods word). Of course the Colossians were Gentiles.
Jesus was unknown among the Gentiles... "a mystery" among the Gentiles. But Paul is revealing to them Jesus... "Christ in you".. the HOPE of glory.
It says in verse 28 that the reason he is telling them this is so... "we may present every man complete". Are you complete? Do you have the hope of Jesus in you?

Tit 2:11; For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,
Tit 2:12; instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,
Tit 2:13; looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,

As Christians we should have faith of course, but one of the things our faith should cause us to do is... look for the blessed hope. What is this blessed hope?
The appearing of "the glory of" our savior (Jesus).

Rom 15:13; Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

The God of "hope". Our God is a God of hope. Paul admonishes here... may God fill you you with ((joy and peace) so that...
you can abound of hope. Without joy and peace it is next to impossible to have hope. If the negativity of the world is weighing you down, take a break.
Turn off the news. Step away from Facebook. Get you joy and peace back..... so that you can abound in hope.
There are things we do to quench the Holy Spirit some times. It says here if we have joy and peace, we can gain hope "by the Holy Spirit".
But when we let worry and negativity control us.. we block what the Spirit is trying to do.

... to be continued ....

Loyal
Although I do agree with you about declining hope in the world in general. Its important to remember that if we are in the end times, these terrible things will happen, its foretold, and God is not a liar. Our hope should not be in everything in the world being idyllic and happy, but in God being on the throne of heaven, watching over us, loving us, and loving all mankind enough to let us go through the fire, that we might turn to Him and repent. Our being uncomfortable with events in turmoil is nothing compared to those who are lost without God. Due to my weak eyes, I didnt read all your post and if you already addressed this, please forgive me.