• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Should women be allowed to preach in churches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw this video on YouTube from Lauri Alexander who makes the argument that women were never called to preach.
I personally believe that a woman should be allowed to preach, if she has received that calling.
What does the forum believe?

Loyal
The original Greek text says: we all are to “Proclaim” the Gospel....ff. Sense then, man has change original words to translations to have a slight curve in meanings with new definition to produce a newer thought pattern. “Like Preach” is a slight difference than”Proclaim”.!

Would you say, a woman who just got saved, does not have the right to “Proclaim” the good news of what has happen to her and by what means? Just a slip of the “amanuensis” hand can give a new mean or thought pattern of a word. “Now how about that thought pattern”.

Active
Do you mean preach the gospel of pastor a fellowship?
Preach the gospel sure pastor a church no .

Loyal
I know what Jesus told all of us to do, “Proclaim” the gospel everywhere we go, be a witness about Him and the saving work He has done unto the “Proclaimer”, In the streets, in the village, on the job, in the stores, on vacations, everywhere your soles of your feet travel. He never told nobody to get up on a soap box and Preach. “RCC” started that! I have nothing to say about soap box preaching. That’s is the”Institutionalize church” child. Their child their rules.

Do you mean preach the gospel of pastor a fellowship?
Preach the gospel sure pastor a church no .
So I’m curious about your thoughts on women, such as Joyce Meyers, who lead churches.
Also, why don’t you believe a woman should be able to pastor a church?

Loyal
Women can preach, teach and have a ministry.

Acts 9:36; Now in Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which translated in Greek is called Dorcas); this woman was abounding with deeds of kindness and charity which she continually did.

Teaching children, other women and doing music, and service ministry is no problem.
Being the head of a church is.

1 Tim 2:11; A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness.
1 Tim 2:12; But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

1 Cor 14:34; The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says.
1 Cor 14:35; If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

1 Tim 3:2; An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

Joyce Meyer has other issues as well. Multiple multi-million dollar mansions, multiple private jets.
The world is full of rebellious women who want to be "large and in charge".

(Yes there are corrupt men also).

Active
So I’m curious about your thoughts on women, such as Joyce Meyers, who lead churches.
Also, why don’t you believe a woman should be able to pastor a church?

Qualifications for Overseers
1Ti 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
1Ti 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
1Ti 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
1Ti 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
1Ti 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
Qualifications for Deacons
1Ti 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
1Ti 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
1Ti 3:10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
1Ti 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
1Ti 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
1Ti 3:13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
1Ti_2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

it 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
Tit 2:2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.
Tit 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
Tit 2:4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
Tit 2:5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

IMO the above passages speaks loud and clear. I fully understand many today disagree with my thoughts which is perfectly fine.
Joyce Meyers is WOF which doesn't set well with my understanding of Scripture .

I loved the Assemblies of God Sunday School i had as a kid again, my opinion, so many of the WofF guys came from AoG and pushed it into New Age etc. Dad was a Assemblies of God pastor for about 50 years

Loyal
Women Can have great ministries with other women. And teaching children. Why can't we be content with what we Can do.

We need to pay more attention to God's guidelines.

There's difference between sharing the Gospel unto salvation with people where ever / when ever an opportunity presents itself. It's quite another to be behind a pulput preaching to a mixed group of adults / children.

Active
When Jesus rose from the dead, He met somebody whom He sent to preach the Word of His ressurection...Who was that? Was it a man. Was this person sent to preach to women only? Was Jesus going contrary to His Own Word? What do you think?

John 20:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Active
I recently saw this video on YouTube from Lauri Alexander who makes the argument that women were never called to preach.
I personally believe that a woman should be allowed to preach, if she has received that calling.
What does the forum believe?

John 20:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
Was she not called to preach the good news?

Loyal
God gives us all guidelines For preachers/ bishops/ elders. The first one being to be the husband of one wife. / Titus 1:5 - 9. esp vs 6 // 1 Timothy 3: 1 - 13 esp vs 2

Active
God gives us all guidelines For preachers/ bishops/ elders. The first one being to be the husband of one wife. / Titus 1:5 - 9. esp vs 6 // 1 Timothy 3: 1 - 13 esp vs 2
You used the word 'guidlines' Meaning...also..."The wife of one husband"?

Loyal
@Admon Mikha'el -- to be more specific. 1 Timothy 3:1-2 "This is a faithful saying. If a man desires the position of a bishop , he desires a good work. vs 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach, "

Active
@Admon Mikha'el -- to be more specific. 1 Timothy 3:1-2 "This is a faithful saying. If a man desires the position of a bishop , he desires a good work. vs 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach, "
Ok Back to my original question...Who is the first person Jesus called to preach after He rose from the dead? And who were they sent to preach to? How do you reconcile that to your stance on 1 Timothy 3:1-2?

Active
Has anybody noticed that ALL Christian ministry flows from the anouncement that the crucified Jesus has risen from the dead? When He arose, Jesus appeared FIRST to women who then were the first to preach the good news!! Kind of cool, isn't it?

Loyal
Your John 20:17 passage "Jesus said to her, "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father, but go to My brethren and say to then, "I am ascending to My father and your Father, and to My God and your God." vs 18 "Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her."

That was not Mary being called to preach. She was sharing with the disciples what she'd been told.

Go to Matthew 28:19-20 go back to Vs 16 for context. The 11 disciples were being addressed by Jesus "Go, therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen."

And the three missionary journeys by Paul -- establishing the churches of Asia. Men started those groups -- not women.

It's Not my stance -- it's God's Word.

There's a difference between sharing Scripture with people and standing behind a pulpit with a mixed group of adults.

Active
Your John 20:17 passage "Jesus said to her, "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father, but go to My brethren and say to then, "I am ascending to My father and your Father, and to My God and your God." vs 18 "Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her."

That was not Mary being called to preach. She was sharing with the disciples what she'd been told.

Go to Matthew 28:19-20 go back to Vs 16 for context. The 11 disciples were being addressed by Jesus "Go, therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen."

And the three missionary journeys by Paul -- establishing the churches of Asia. Men started those groups -- not women.

It's Not my stance -- it's God's Word.

I suppose you could look at it that way...but when Jesus said "Go tell the others....He WAS sending her to preach the news....Religion or Word...What's your preference? You are free to choose.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
Has anybody noticed that ALL Christian ministry flows from the anouncement that the crucified Jesus has risen from the dead? When He arose, Jesus appeared FIRST to women who then were the first to preach the good news!! Kind of cool, isn't it?

Women Were the first ones at the tomb and they shared with the others. For the purpose of Ministry -- there are many women who lead women's Bible studies. I went to one this evening. Kathy does a wonderful job -- with women. But for a mixed group of men and women -- men Need to be in charge. After all -- what man wants to be potentially rebuked in front of other men by a woman teacher. There is Also a passage that says to Not put a woman in the position of usurping authority over a man in a public situation.

In That context -- situation -- the women were Not preaching - - they were Sharing the good news of Jesus bodily resurrection with the others.

Loyal

It's God's Word we're talking about. We're Not free to pick and choose. Because God has given us the Timothy and Titus passages to clarify exactly who / which sex / is to be behind the pulpit. To be the husband of one wife is Very gender specific.

Active
Women Were the first ones at the tomb and they shared with the others. For the purpose of Ministry -- there are many women who lead women's Bible studies. I went to one this evening. Kathy does a wonderful job -- with women. But for a mixed group of men and women -- men Need to be in charge. After all -- what man wants to be potentially rebuked in front of other men by a woman teacher. There is Also a passage that says to Not put a woman in the position of usurping authority over a man in a public situation.

In That context -- situation -- the women were Not preaching - - they were Sharing the good news of Jesus bodily resurrection with the others.
Ok How would you define 'preaching' if not sharing the good news?

Status
Not open for further replies.