• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Should we celebrate Easter or the Passover?

Shalom!

I am wondering about what we call Easter. In the past it was referring to an Anglo Saxon or a Viking god named so. Nowadays it has become the modern Passover. Then aren`t we celebrate easter? what happened so that we changed Passover into Eater? Over years and centuries there were many mistakes that falsified or compromised our faith. I am still wondering if we should celebrate Easter or the Passsover.

God bless everyone through Yeshua Hamashiach (Jesus the Messiah . Amen!

Loyal
Shalom!

I am wondering about what we call Easter. In the past it was referring to an Anglo Saxon or a Viking god named so. Nowadays it has become the modern Passover. Then aren`t we celebrate easter? what happened so that we changed Passover into Eater? Over years and centuries there were many mistakes that falsified or compromised our faith. I am still wondering if we should celebrate Easter or the Passsover.

LOL Why don't you list the pros and the cons of each. and which do you prefer? I and my house celebrate passover.

Active
Shalom!

I celebrate neither.
I celebrate the resurrection of Jesus from the dead.
Passover was a Jewish remembrance, and the word "easter" came from who know where.

Staff Member
Greetings,

Perhaps this topic deserves a little more attention and our fellow Member who started it some sound Scripture based substance in order to be able to fully understand what and why as a believer amidst a perverse and crooked generation?

I think I have posted the thread in the right forum.
Yes, and if it needs moving later we can do that.

And exactly the same for you (as you are very much part of everyone, also!)

I am still wondering if we should celebrate Easter or the Passsover.
You are not the first believer to ask this question.

I and my house celebrate passover.

I celebrate the resurrection of Jesus from the dead.
Passover was a Jewish remembrance, and the word "easter" came from who know where.

I think the answer sought after is should we, not do we?

Have you ever noticed the actual word Easter in Scripture?
In more recent years we have come to understand a connection between the Passover celebration/festival and Easter (which used to span at least five days. As churches have opened up to hearing from those of the Messianic Jews camp there has been opportunity to not only learn much about the meaning and method of this ancient time of remembrance but also we have seen a more valid reason to celebrate the Easter days set apart yearly on calendars all over the world. This is not to say that such validity makes doing so right according to God our Father,

One problem with setting apart a select few days out of 365 days/year is that in doing so we inadvertently make all other days and our corresponding devotion and worship in remembrance of Christ Jesus lesser and so rendering them to be (along with our part in them) less significant and not as 'set apart' or 'holy'. The whole time and energy and emphasis along with the preparation and money and devoted foods etc add to making Easter more special than the rest of the year in relation to either a semblance of Passover or any other remembrance we participate in.
This should concern us if we habitually do what is widely known Eucharist or Holy Communion or Communion or The Lord's Supper or Breaking Bread as this time of Remembrance is more Scripturally sound and based than Easter.

The Apostles reminded (put in remembrance) the churches of the birth, life, death and resurrection of our Lord, so in light of this for us to remember the most significant events in the history of creation that offer and command hope and the promise to all, is not intrinsically wrong.

Regarding keeping or doing Passover, as pointed out by At Peace doing so was (and still is ) a Jewish Celebration and event in their Calendar year. Are Believers to do likewise and why or why not?

Should we keep only Passover and not ALL the Jewish calendar events? If so, by whose authority and command are we to do so?
For the Believer, the Exodus from Egypt and the preceding Passover is perhaps more historical than personal, even if by birth a believer is Jewish. Now we know that Jesus was the Passover Lamb and that He lives!

Should we, as Believers, celebrate either Passover or Easter?

Bless you ....><>

I thank you all for giving your flow. However i am very sorry because I was not true I mean I was not clear in my words.I thought I was then I beg your pardon. Besides what was written here and above I would like to know if the word "Easter" is suitable for what we commemorate every year. In fact as many of us know that easter also refers to an Anglo Saxon god they were adoring and what was the spring`s god. Jesus Christ is not a god but He`s one with God (John 10:30) and Son of God.

I am then wondering if we do not pray the Anglo-Saxon god when when the remembrance of the Passion and Resurrection of Christ Jesus is called by Easter.

I do not teach theology but I do not know why this feast was translated for the word Easter.

By the way should we keep on cal the name Passover as well for the Jewish celebration as for the Christian?

Loyal
I thank you all for giving your flow. However i am very sorry because I was not true I mean I was not clear in my words.I thought I was then I beg your pardon. Besides what was written here and above I would like to know if the word "Easter" is suitable for what we commemorate every year. In fact as many of us know that easter also refers to an Anglo Saxon god they were adoring and what was the spring`s god. Jesus Christ is not a god but He`s one with God (John 10:30) and Son of God.

I am then wondering if we do not pray the Anglo-Saxon god when when the remembrance of the Passion and Resurrection of Christ Jesus is called by Easter.

I do not teach theology but I do not know why this feast was translated for the word Easter.

By the way should we keep on cal the name Passover as well for the Jewish celebration as for the Christian?
There will come a time, very soon, when all people will be called upon to celebrate the feasts ordained by God....Did Jesus celebrate Christmas? No? Did Jesus celebrate Easter? No? How about Halloween? No? Well did He celebrate Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, or Sukkot? If He did, what does that mean for us?
Did Jesus ever celebrate His birthday? Did He even mention it?
Easter is not mentioned even once in the Bible..Passover is mentioned twenty four times...Does that say anything to us?

Loyal
I fully respect those who do not celebrate easter because it is not mentioned or commanded in the Bible.

I do celebrate easter.

1. Firest I was brought up celebrating easter. It's part of my church tradition. It is what I accustomed to. I know that this is not a sound justification. But it is where I am coming from
  2. More significant. The Old Testament scriptures set out very clear instructions for marking the major saving event of the time - commemorating the exodus from Egypt each passover. That act of salvation points forward to the ultimate saving moment - Jesus' death and resurrection. What reason can we give for celebrating the lesser (the exodus ) while ignoring the greater (Jesus conquering death and sin)?

Loyal
I fully respect those who do not celebrate easter because it is not mentioned or commanded in the Bible.

I do celebrate easter.

1. Firest I was brought up celebrating easter. It's part of my church tradition. It is what I accustomed to. I know that this is not a sound justification. But it is where I am coming from
  2. More significant. The Old Testament scriptures set out very clear instructions for marking the major saving event of the time - commemorating the exodus from Egypt each passover. That act of salvation points forward to the ultimate saving moment - Jesus' death and resurrection. What reason can we give for celebrating the lesser (the exodus ) while ignoring the greater (Jesus conquering death and sin)?
Dear friend....Whether one does or does not celebrate Easter, Chritmas or whatever is between them and God. No judgment. Lots of hugs though.

Active
They are two different and distinct events of God:
The Passover is the celebration of the angel of death passing over the children of Israel while in Egypt, saving them from the last plague. Easter is the celebration of Jesus' rising from the dead after his crucifixion. they are both celebrations of god's people conquering or overcoming death, one physical and one spiritual!
  • An Orthodox Jew would celebrate the Passover and not the not Easter, because they do not believe in Jesus as the Messiah...(the promised deliverer of the Jewish nation prophesied in the Hebrew Bible.)
  • As a true Christian, I celebrate Easter( resurrection) and not Passover but by faith I believe they both happened!

Active
Shalom!

Just a thought that I want you to consider.

Consider the Sabbath. The punishment for a Jew who did not obey it was death.

Exodus 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to Yahweh: whoever does any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Jesus did not obey the Sabbath, because He was God Mark 2:27-28.

Now, why did the Jews need to honor the Sabbath? It was to thank God for two things. 1. Creation of the world Exo 20:11 and 2. Deliverance from slavery Deut 5:15.

Deliverance from slavery is interesting and the only real fact I want us to meditate on. God does not change. If something upset Him at such a level in the OT that He ordained the death penalty be a fitting punishment for disobedience. We are foolish to not consider it today.

Conclusion:

A person who loves Jesus will celebrate His resurrection. The day He delivered us from sin. He should not have to ask. Does your spouse truly have to ask you to remember your anniversary? That it is called Easter is a non issue.

They are two different and distinct events of God:
The Passover is the celebration of the angel of death passing over the children of Israel while in Egypt, saving them from the last plague. Easter is the celebration of Jesus' rising from the dead after his crucifixion. they are both celebrations of god's people conquering or overcoming death, one physical and one spiritual!
  • An Orthodox Jew would celebrate the Passover and not the not Easter, because they do not believe in Jesus as the Messiah...(the promised deliverer of the Jewish nation prophesied in the Hebrew Bible.)
  • As a true Christian, I celebrate Easter( resurrection) and not Passover but by faith I believe they both happened!

I thank you for your contribution. My main preoccupation is about the name. In fact I agree we celebrate the Resurrection of our Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ. The only problem is in what we call it; Easter. The same name is a god for the Anglo-Saxon or the Viking people. Before Europe becomes Christianized they were celebrating easter as a god ruling Spring. that is why I am wondering if we are doing good by celebrating Easter. Maybe we must not I mean we should name it otherwise but who is better to tell us what is right for our faith?

Thanks for what I have just discovered: Orthodox do not celebrate Easter but the Passover.

Conclusion:

A person who loves Jesus will celebrate His resurrection. The day He delivered us from sin. He should not have to ask. Does your spouse truly have to ask you to remember your anniversary? That it is called Easter is a non issue.[/QUOTE]

Hallelujah!

This sounds very great! Of course we have to celebrate the resurrection of Christ Jesus our Lord God. I was and am still wondering about Easter as a pagan god and the commemoration of Jesus`Resurrection. I do not only want to give glory to what does not deserve it.

Loyal
This sounds very great! Of course we have to celebrate the resurrection of Christ Jesus our Lord God. I was and am still wondering about Easter as a pagan god and the commemoration of Jesus`Resurrection. I do not only want to give glory to what does not deserve it.
Greetings,
To be honest, we can and in my thinking should celebrate Resurrection Day, 24/7/365

Pagan god - One would have to purposefully give place to such non sense.
Another words, a holiday is what you make of it.
We know why we celebrate Christmas and decorating a tree does not defile anything. We give gifts of love to one another just as God the Father gave us the Priceless gift of His Love through the gift of Christ.

It's not the holiday or traditions but what is in the heart of those who celebrate any such holiday.
Easter is the same thing.

Religion tries to inplace bondage into holidays and such but in all truth it really is meaningless .

What's in the heart of any believer is what matters.

Blessings

Active
Greetings,
To be honest, we can and in my thinking should celebrate Resurrection Day, 24/7/365
This is completely true. But both positions are.

There should literally be zero resistance to celebrating Jesus with others during Easter.

Loyal
I thank you for your contribution. My main preoccupation is about the name. In fact I agree we celebrate the Resurrection of our Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ. The only problem is in what we call it; Easter. The same name is a god for the Anglo-Saxon or the Viking people. Before Europe becomes Christianized they were celebrating easter as a god ruling Spring. that is why I am wondering if we are doing good by celebrating Easter. Maybe we must not I mean we should name it otherwise but who is better to tell us what is right for our faith?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Use another name: Resurrection Sunday or passiontide

The linguistic link between Easter and Ostara is not that strong. The Anglo-Saxons called April ēastre-monaþ, probably after the germanic goddess. Only one ancient source makes the link between the two. Remember also that many of our months still have their roots in the names of pagan gods. April, after Aphrodite and May, after Maia.

Loyal
Just a thought that I want you to consider.

Consider the Sabbath. The punishment for a Jew who did not obey it was death.

Exodus 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to Yahweh: whoever does any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Jesus did not obey the Sabbath, because He was God Mark 2:27-28.

Now, why did the Jews need to honor the Sabbath? It was to thank God for two things. 1. Creation of the world Exo 20:11 and 2. Deliverance from slavery Deut 5:15.

Deliverance from slavery is interesting and the only real fact I want us to meditate on. God does not change. If something upset Him at such a level in the OT that He ordained the death penalty be a fitting punishment for disobedience. We are foolish to not consider it today.

Conclusion:

A person who loves Jesus will celebrate His resurrection. The day He delivered us from sin. He should not have to ask. Does your spouse truly have to ask you to remember your anniversary? That it is called Easter is a non issue.
Actually, a person who loves Jesus will celebrate that HE paid the price that WE could not so that we can spend eternity with HIM

Loyal
@Alive4Jesus

It has already been pointed out that the name used is not important so long as the intent of the heart is OK with God. Consider also the following verses about observing special days or not observing them:

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks." Rom 14:5-6

In the OT [Old Testament] certain days were definitely set aside for God's people to observe or celebrate. Now some things have changed for God's people, including perhaps even how or why a person comes to be called one of God's people. Our communication now with God is not only through the written scriptures [the Bible] or through special ministers or priests [although such communication may also occur] but also through a direct one on one contact with Him.

So the way for a man to go is according to God as it is written in scripture but also according to what He speaks to our heart. We are His sheep, are we not?

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:" John 10:27

Active

Thanks for what I have just discovered: Orthodox do not celebrate Easter but the Passover.
  • Easter is not the resurrection.
  • Many equate Easter as the same as the resurrection, they are wrong.
  • Perhaps you are literally correct...for me Easter is a time much like spring and I associated it with the celebration of the Resurrection of our Lord .
  • A main point would be: If you don't rest in the finality of the cross, you will never experience the life of the resurrection! I can explain further if you wish?