• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Should nature be against the law?

I was wondering what the Christian viewpoint is on marijuana and the war on drugs. I assume most Christians don't use or approve of marijuana. Is there scripture that talks about marijuana? If God created everything, then he must have created all plants, which would include marijuana. Is marijuana evil? Also, do most Christians approve of the war on drugs? I find the war on drugs to be a giant waste of taxdollars.

I hope I won't be banned from this forum just because I am not a Christian.

Goat

Goat:

I can understand why you would ask this question. After Adam and Eve sinned, God cursed the very land they walked on. Therefore, everything that is natural is not necessarily safe, healthy or good. We have to fight the drug war or it will rage out of control. If we did not incarcerate murderers, thieves and other criminals our streets would not be safe for anyone at any time. Welcome to the forum.

God bless,
Jeff

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi Goat and welcome to Talk Jesus.

Let's look at something here. What's more important, tax dollars or society's health and well being? Dollars are replaceable and not to mention, they are there to be used for exchange (products, services, and yes "fights" against things whether good or bad)

So, GOD created everything in the world. But, its the purpose/use of each thing that matters. Is it being used for a good intended purpose? GOD created steel and poweder and so on. Is it good to make guns to kill people? (I'm not talking about self defense either but murder). No, it is not. Opium is a natural plant. But, they do this and do that and suddenly you got a deadly drug. Is it ok? No.

1 Corinthians 6:20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

1 Corinthians 6:12
12"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.

2 Peter 2:19
19They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

Romans 13:1-4 (regarding obey laws, illegal drug use for example)
1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the point is though, that the war on drugs isn't working. It's not reducing the amount of drugs on the streets, it's not reducing the amount of dealers etc. It is *just* wasting money. Money that could be better spent elsewhere.

A lot of drugs have benificial affects but the same drugs can be abused and lead to much suffering. Thats the sad thing about drugs. I believe there are drugs that have been banned that would aleviate much suffering, especally for the terminaly ill, But they are banned from proper use because they are used by others for the wrong reason.

As for marijuana is saw a good report on the long term effects of it's use. many people end up suffering mental problems like servere depression and Schizophrenia, especally if they are regular users and start using it at a young age.

The Law of the land stands and we are called on to follow the law of the lands we live in. No matter what our personal views on the laws are.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate your viewpoints.

Here is a followup question.

McDonalds and other fast food has a negative effect on the health of those who consume it. In certain states the authorities require the use of seat belts, helmets, and car seats for children all in the name of safety.

Is it hypocritical to claim to fight the drug war in the name of public safety while allowing McDonalds to sell its unhealthy food?

Goat

P.S. For Chad: Is it better to be mastered by a government than by a plant? It is an honest question. I'm not sure how I would answer it.

Well the world is full of hypocrisy that’s nothing new. So what’s the point your trying to make?

All Praise The Ancient of Days

Yes, the world is full of hypocrisy. I am in search of meaning in hypocrisy and that is why I asked you Adstar. Do you have any wisdom in regards to hypocrisy to pass on to me?

Glory To God, are you as upset as me that children in Iraq and Afghanistan are killed and maimed in the war zone our tax dollars fund? I wish I could save all children, including those that don't live in America, from the hell of war.

As far as the dangers of McDonald's goes, I would say people that eat to much of it ARE impaired and they COULD be considered a public danger if obese to the point that a quick escape from a crowded movie theater because of a fire was necessary. I'm not saying that McDonald's should be banned. I'm challenging the idea of ANYTHING being banned. This goes back to the whole idea of hypocrisy.

Goat

P.S. I have always felt that the government exists for the people and not the other way around. The idea that our collective path should be chosen by the government is foreign to me. Thats why I'm glad to have this discussion with all of you. I always like considering ideas I've never before considered. Thanks.

GOat first I would like to welcome you to talk Jesus so... Welcome :) I also want to comment on the area of McDonalds and drugs. Where the separation is there is that fact that a hamburger does not make someone loose an importance level of things in there life. Such as beating a spouse or neglect of a child(which drugs help cause these problems regular) Seat belts, helmets and car seats have been proven to help save lives when used properly. When laws have to be made to protect people it show how the sinful nature of man(and woman) is out of control.

If the fall of man would not have happened these things would not have to be done . Because Of sin that is why things need to be kept in check. Oh and as far as being over weight it is not just because of what people eat many things can contribute. Excess of anything good or bad food can have the effect of weight gain.

How do you know if "pot" was ever made to be smoked? From what I understand it is a very strong fiber that can be used to make many things.

As far as saving everychild from the pain of war that would be a definite YES!

Have A great day and God Bless Everyone!

Goat said:
Yes, the world is full of hypocrisy. I am in search of meaning in hypocrisy and that is why I asked you Adstar. Do you have any wisdom in regards to hypocrisy to pass on to me?

I suppose in relation to the topic we are discussing hipocracy is supporting or imposing a law that one does not follow in ones own life. Or to put in another way to impose a law on others that you do not believe in.

As far as the dangers of McDonald's goes, I would say people that eat to much of it ARE impaired and they COULD be considered a public danger if obese to the point that a quick escape from a crowded movie theater because of a fire was necessary. I'm not saying that McDonald's should be banned. I'm challenging the idea of ANYTHING being banned. This goes back to the whole idea of hypocrisy.

The authorities motivation is to maintain society in a functioning manner. If an authority deems a product to be damaging to the efficient functioning of society then it will seek to end the use of that product. But no authority has absolute dictatorial power. all authorities pay attention to and must modify there laws if that law is not supported by the people under that authority.

This is where the "hypocrisy" charge against authority comes into play. Yes heroine is damaging to people and the authorities ban it and are supported by the overwhelming majority of the people under that authority. But the authority might also look upon Mc Donalds as also being damaging to the society but it knows that banning of Mc Donalds will not have wide community support and without that support laws are useless. So an authority must use other methods in seeking to reduce the damage caused by a product that is supported by the majority of the population. This is not hypocrisy this is the authority doing what it can do within the framework of the limitations of the levels of support from the populace.

So the authority banns heroin, Then it might fund a ad campaign trying to motivate the population to eat healthy food and exercise.

P.S. I have always felt that the government exists for the people and not the other way around. The idea that our collective path should be chosen by the government is foreign to me.

The authority is for the society for the collective it is not for the individual. The path chosen by the Authority is greatly influenced and moderated by the will of the majority of the collective.

That’s the way the world is.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days