• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Should I attend my friends wedding, even if I don't support it?

I've been friends with one of my brothers in Christ for a few years. He got into a relationship with another Christian he met on dating site. I was happy for him and his new relationship.

As time went on, some red flags started to rise up that I saw from the outside and I started to think that the relationship wasn't good for him. He started staying at her house overnight and it became a regular thing. She stayed at his house too. My friend eventually moved in and they have no problem living with one another and engaging in premarital sex. My friend is open to talking about it and feels no shame.

Amongst other things, my friend has other issues which have been present in his life even before he started in a relationship with this girl, which I think would be detrimental and not helpful in his marriage.

Ive been sensing in my spirit that this marriage would not be a good thing for him and her. I respect and want to support my friend in this, but at the same time I don't agree that this is a wise decision for him right now. I believe he needs to work through some of the issues he's dealing with first and come back to having a solid relationship with God.

Would it be helpful and/or appropriate to tell my friend that I do not agree with his choice to get married? Should I attend the wedding, even if I do not support his decision? Does that mean I'm supporting the marriage even if I don't agree it is wise?

Loyal
You not supporting his and her sins is not the same as loving them enough to attend their wedding. Me and my wife made our vows to the Lord long before we were married in the eyes of men. How do you know this isn't the case?

Loyal
I've been friends with one of my brothers in Christ for a few years. He got into a relationship with another Christian he met on dating site. I was happy for him and his new relationship.

As time went on, some red flags started to rise up that I saw from the outside and I started to think that the relationship wasn't good for him. He started staying at her house overnight and it became a regular thing. She stayed at his house too. My friend eventually moved in and they have no problem living with one another and engaging in premarital sex. My friend is open to talking about it and feels no shame.

Amongst other things, my friend has other issues which have been present in his life even before he started in a relationship with this girl, which I think would be detrimental and not helpful in his marriage.

Ive been sensing in my spirit that this marriage would not be a good thing for him and her. I respect and want to support my friend in this, but at the same time I don't agree that this is a wise decision for him right now. I believe he needs to work through some of the issues he's dealing with first and come back to having a solid relationship with God.

Would it be helpful and/or appropriate to tell my friend that I do not agree with his choice to get married? Should I attend the wedding, even if I do not support his decision? Does that mean I'm supporting the marriage even if I don't agree it is wise?

Going is an indication that you do support it

Active
God will be there. Will he agree with their sins & the sins of others there, absolutely not. But he will be there. "He said that where two or more gather in his name... a wedding will be a gathering. His name will be mentioned... there will be true Christians so Gods gonna be there. I say go. NOT because you're for the living in sin part but never & I mean NEVER underestimate God. He's running the show. NOBODY has a clue how God can work & what he can & will do.

Administrator
Staff Member
It's a double sided matter. One, do not judge. We all fall short. Second, pray for them and leave it in God's hands.

I'm not saying you're judging but technically it can come off that way to them. I agree with you otherwise. Ask God for guidance.

Be open, simple.

Active
If there is anyone who knows why these two should not be joined in Holy mattimony let him speak now or forever hold his peace.

God has showed you some things you should be bringing to his (their) attention.

With God, their is no respector of persons. And God has no respector of persons.
Do you love him enough to speak with him in love.

There is a reason that clause is in ceremonies; much like pew sitters, no one will say a word even if it doesn't bare witness.

Blessing to you; may the Holy Spirit lead you in this matter.

Active
Brothers and sisters, this is a good example why I do not want to be entangled with this life's affairs.

Do the righteous thing if you love your friend; doing the righteous thing doesn't mean walk away wagging your head. Amen

Yes, He may not like what you reveal; he already knows it exist, but a denial beast could be in play because that have partaken of freshly lust way too soon, so now he (or they) feel bound by it.

All praise glory and honor be unto God Amen