• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Should Christians own guns?

Loyal
@Hekuran -- don't all countries have their pros and cons. But, having said that -- there are those in U.S. A. who decided to take God out of all the places He had been in. The results can be observed over time. More and greater evil is being seen on a daily basis it seems like. Hopefully Christmas will bring a greater sense of God's love.

Loyal
@Hekuran -- don't all countries have their pros and cons. But, having said that -- there are those in U.S. A. who decided to take God out of all the places He had been in. The results can be observed over time. More and greater evil is being seen on a daily basis it seems like. Hopefully Christmas will bring a greater sense of God's love.
I hope so too.

Britain is far less religious than America though. There's no question that they'd pray in my children's school. At the same time, they've never had to do a drill for a mass shooting.

Staff Member
Dear Brother @Hekuran
UK is an Island, so any illegal influx of firearms becomes that much more difficult. However, the IRA, had little problem getting arms when they needed them, and of course creating death & mayhem doesn't require guns to happen. I mention the Island bit, because the US for the most part has open borders. Start talking about closing borders and everybody gets up in arms!! No pun intended there. So, controlling arms in a country that doesn't control its borders is difficult at best. Plus, as another has pointed out, the reason the US allows for arms is that its part of the Constitution (2nd Amendment). Want that to change then it will have to be adopted/agreed upon by each state. Not an easy proposition to repeal an amendment.

Now there have been locals that have created great restrictions on gun ownership/possession. One such place is the city of Chicago. What has happened there is that the only people with guns, are the gangs/bad guys. So, since the Police can't be everywhere at once, and they themselves fear going into certain neighborhoods (no go zones like in the UK), the innocents are left to their own devices. You would think that the number of gun deaths won't be that high, except for the bad guys. Sadly, the opposite is the case. They lead all US cities in the number of gun fatalities.

However, not to make light of the subject or situation that someone might find themselves. Here is a joke that both sides can appreciate!

An elderly woman had just returned to her home from an evening church service when she was startled by an intruder. She caught the burglar red-handed, and yelled, "Stop! Acts 2:38 (meaning, repent and be baptized...)!"
The burglar stopped dead in his tracks. The woman then calmly called the police and explained what she had done.

As the officer cuffed the burglar, he asked, "Why did you just stand there? All the old lady did was yell a scripture to you."

"Scripture?" replied the burglar, "I thought she said she had an axe and two 38's!"

Anyway, this is an argument that has many twists and turns to it. If you don't have guns, is it okay to then use swords, machete's, axe's, bow's & arrows (crossbow's), spears etc. to provide protection in your home, and is it less deadly when you stop an intruder in order to protect, children, grandchildren, etc.? Its easier when you only have yourself to consider, but when you have to consider others, that are unable to protect themselves, does it then become the exception to the rule?

To, be honest I don't know what I'd do since I don't own a gun (makes the wife happy), but I do own a couple of swords, daggers, and from being in the military, and corrections. One realizes even a pencil can be considered a deadly weapon. Would my training, and desire to protect my handicap wife, override my Spirit that believes that my life is worth losing, if I can share the Gospel to a loss soul, before going home?? I pray to God that I'll never be in that situation. For I now that except for the one where I die, I know the Devil will have me having regrets regardless of what I have to do.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active
@Admon Mikha'el -- Jesus Christ -- God's Son -- does not give us Scripture in a haphazard way. your post #96 suggests that He broke His own word in that particular situation. God's ways / His judgements are perfect. The same applies to Jesus Christ. That it's perfectly okay to protect ourselves. And on the Other hand. When a person is threatened to either forsake the name of Jesus / God -- or Die -- that person is a martyr for taking that stand For God / Jesus Christ. Even if the person being persecuted Has a weapon. I, as a born again believer, know that I'll be immediate with Jesus Christ upon My death. I Don't know the eternal destination of the Other person. I don't want to be the one killing him / her and sending them to eternity in hell. They might end up in jail / prison and be reached with the Gospel unto salvation. Persecutors Have been known to accept Christ as their personal Savior when they see others willing To suffer / die for Christ.

On the Other hand, it's in the New Testament where Paul stood on his Roman citizen ship to avoid a scourging. Which he had every Right to do.
I would suggest, dear one, that when you read something, like a question, you read it all. That includes punctuation. There was a question mark at the end of my question, which indicates I was asking a question. I was not making a statement. Questions are used to gain information and also to get people to think about a topic. My point was...If Jesus told them to buy swords/ guns, its ok to have swords/ guns. I'm not here to fight with you.

Loyal
@Admon Mikha'el -- for one thing -- I'm not 'dear one'. No need to lecture me -- you ended your post by saying "I'm not here to fight with you" -- that's good to know. I'm one of the few women on Forum with lots of men -- no need to patronize me. It's the Way you stated your point. It Sounded like you were -- for whatever reason-- undermining what Jesus Christ was doing / saying/ in that situation. There are many people who don't take God's Word seriously. You sounded like one of them. And in this day and age -- there is a real need To take God's Word seriously.

Active
@Admon Mikha'el -- for one thing -- I'm not 'dear one'. No need to lecture me -- you ended your post by saying "I'm not here to fight with you" -- that's good to know. I'm one of the few women on Forum with lots of men -- no need to patronize me. It's the Way you stated your point. It Sounded like you were -- for whatever reason-- undermining what Jesus Christ was doing / saying/ in that situation. There are many people who don't take God's Word seriously. You sounded like one of them. And in this day and age -- there is a real need To take God's Word seriously.
My my!
I meant no offense. Still if you take offense its because YOU choose to take offense. Don't blame me. Jesus did not say "Give no offense" He said "Take no offense"

Your life isn't your own; you were bought and paid for with a price. In fact, in most states, it's still illegal by Caesar to commit suicide (although that, too, is changing, with euthanasia, etc.). So it's not ok to allow others to kill you. Self-defense is Biblical.

There are many types of weapons, such as a firearm, a sword and the sword of the Spirit - all lawful before the Father.

Loyal
@backNforth -- Yes, self-defense Is Biblical -- but is it always Necessary. A person who becomes a martyr , for example. Is willing to be killed rather than reject Christ in order to Live. Our normal instinct is to Want to preserve our life or the life of others. But our being willing to take a stand For Christ is what we Should be doing. And if that means being killed -- so be it. We will be with Jesus Christ immediately.

And, yes, many types of weapons -- the 'sword of the Spirit' is God's Word. It has provided our salvation. But we shouldn't be pounding anyone over the head with it, either.

Luke 22:36
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

From SueD:
Yes, self-defense Is Biblical -- but is it always Necessary. A person who becomes a martyr , for example. Is willing to be killed rather than reject Christ in order to Live. Our normal instinct is to Want to preserve our life or the life of others. But our being willing to take a stand For Christ is what we Should be doing. And if that means being killed -- so be it. We will be with Jesus Christ immediately.

And, yes, many types of weapons -- the 'sword of the Spirit' is God's Word. It has provided our salvation. But we shouldn't be pounding anyone over the head with it, either.
Yes, that is all good. Discernment is the key. How many actually seek out and then obey what the Lord would tell them on this (and every) issue?

Luke 22:36
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
The reason for this was to identify them as transgressors,(civil law violators). The two swords helped to frame them.

Oh...You'll have to back that one up. With Word please
“Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.” Luke 22:36–38 (KJV 1900)

"Resist not evil" and "those who take the sword will perish by the sword". Jesus' intent was only to be numbered with the transgressors, not being a transgressor. The two swords (daggers in Greek) got him framed. Why rebuke peter for cutting off Malchus' ear if they were for violent ends? And then healing Malchus?

Active
“Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.” Luke 22:36–38 (KJV 1900)

"Resist not evil" and "those who take the sword will perish by the sword". Jesus' intent was only to be numbered with the transgressors, not being a transgressor. The two swords (daggers in Greek) got him framed. Why rebuke peter for cutting off Malchus' ear if they were for violent ends? And then healing Malchus?
I'm sorry.. I don't understand what you're saying here.

Active
And should they be used against others to defend yourself. If you are a police officer how does that fit in with your Christian Ideals. Do you use them to hunt or for fun or protection. If you own one why do you have it or them?

I refused to take part in a shooting range because deep down I felt it was wrong as a Christian. I would like other opinions on this please. Maybe I am being wrong in my assumptions. Yet I know Thou shalt not kill resonates within me. Guns are made for killing. If as Christians you have a gun what justification do you have in owning one?

Thanks in advance

Jesus told his Disciples to carry swords. Make up your own mind what's right for YOU.

Jesus told his Disciples to carry swords. Make up your own mind what's right for YOU.
This is not true. He told them to buy two small swords so he could be framed for insurrection leading to the cross. He needed this to be numbered with the transgressors.

“Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, And he shall divide the spoil with the strong; Because he hath poured out his soul unto death: And he was numbered with the transgressors; And he bare the sin of many, And made intercession for the transgressors.” Isaiah 53:12 (KJV 1900)

Active
He told them to buy two small swords so he could be framed for insurrection leading to the cross.

CHuckle!! That's a "Novel" but silly Interpretation. You get the prize for coming up with a theological theory that I actually hadn't heard before - and I thought that in 57 years I'd heard EVERYTHING!!!

Congratulations.

CHuckle!! That's a "Novel" but silly Interpretation. You get the prize for coming up with a theological theory that I actually hadn't heard before - and I thought that in 57 years I'd heard EVERYTHING!!!

Congratulations.
Read the context. How could Jesus be numbered with the transgressors without evidence he was one. Would they arrest him for turning the other cheek?