• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Satan?

I know much about Satan. But there is much more to know. For Satan is different to all of us for we are all different. He knows what makes us tick and uses our weak points. But there is much i do not know. I saw somewhere he is not omnipresent like God(not everywhere). But i dont know if i belive this. And if it is true then is it just evil that is everywhere? For if he is not everywhere how can he tempt us all the time and tempt every thought of ours? Some input would be excellent

Since Satan is an angel (gone bad) then he can go anywhere, but cannot be everywhere. there are also many lesser angels (gone bad) we call demons that help in his work of tormenting/tempting us. Another reason for all the evil in the world is human's free will and that many choose evil.

I know others will find scriptures to support these assumptions.

Satan stuff

Well a good thing to keep in mind is that Satan is still very much under the control of GOD. We are told in JOB that satan had to ask for permission to inflict harm on JOB. The demons that are free to roam earth can tempt you but keep in mind you can't blame all of your temptations on the devil. We are born in sin and have also gone wrong ourselves, and the temptation that you face on a day to day basis can also be all your own doing. Yet I know that demons can and will prey on these weaknesses that are caused by the sin you were born into. That is why it is so important to live your life in constant prayer and acknowledge every temptation as a challenge and overcome them with CHRIST. Remember that GOD will never give you a trial that you can't handle.

"Be so heavenly minded that you are earthly good"

Administrator
Staff Member
Please read this article here

Revelation 12:7-12, "And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time."

so Satan can only be in one place at one time? and same with his fellow fallen brothers? Also, how was hell created? God casted Satan upon the earth so where did hell come from?

Hi CrazyforChrist, in Revelation 19:19-21 you'll notice that hell is a lake of fire, and the first two to be thrown into it are the beast(antichrist) and the false prophet. They were thrown in alive. They will be joined by Satan after the thousand years reign of Jesus and the Saints. Rev 20:10. Then by all those, after the final judgement, whose names are not written in the book of the living. Rev 20:11-15. So if hell exists just now, it's empty, waiting on the first inhabitants, the antichrist and the false prophet. Hope this helps.

errr didnt quite help, sorry. Trying to understand the true meaning behind lake of fire and i also thought the antichrist was the devil. And if the devil isnt omni present then where is he right now? and how does he know our thoughts and therfore know how to tempt us? and if he isnt tempting me then who is? because i get tempted alot. I have alot of questions and thank you all for trying to help and taking the time to answer

Hey, this is very intersting. I guess i'll put some of my input into this. Satan Isn't omnipresent. He could only be at one place at one time. There are many levels of demons. well not too many, but there are levels. The reason there is evil everywhere is because There are principalities and powers assigned to particular nations. Their could be a prince of Egypt and a power of a city in egypt. or lets just put it this way, There is a high powered demon assigned for North america. He has smaller demons under him. The next level is the Demons assigned for Canada, United States, and Mexico. The demons under those are assigned for the states, lets pick New York. and the demons under that power are assigned to individual cities, like new york city, and demons under that assigned to neighborhood and then if you are dangerous, individually to you. so there are millions and billions of demons out there. for every city, every nation. that is why you can feel the evil. and see the evil. Even is satan himself isn't there. he has assigned demons to do their work.

Satan himself isn't tempting you. The reason "he knows your thoughts" is cuz their are demons watching over you, making sure you're not a threat to their kingdom. as soon as you start "being dangerous" by praying, or preaching, or other things, they will try to stop you. if the demon is to weak, and you beat him, he will bring a higher demon to try to stop you. and the higher they go the stronger they are. so you really gotta be on guard. i dont want to scare you, cuz the One who is in us is stronger than the one in the world. We, as children of God have authority over satan. so there really is nothing to fear. we dont rely on our own strength but on the strength of Jesus who has already defeated satan. we have nothing to lose.

Hell was origionally created for Satan. Adam was tempted and fell. He didn't do what he was supposed to do. so when Jesus comes for his bride. the one thousand years are gonna be for us to live in peace, Jesus, as the second Adam and the church, as the bride of the second Adam. Satan will try to temp us again. But this time Jesus will do what the first adam didn't do. He will throw satan into the lake of fire for good so he and his followers will never bother the church and people ever again.

I hope this helps...it's a bit complicated sometimes to follow. but it's good stuff...any questions, holler at me. adios
Tanya

Don't be fooled into assuming Satan and his minions are the only source of temptation; there are three sources!

1. The World
2. The Flesh
3. The Devil

My experience is that numbers 1 and 2 are the most effective source of temptation and Satans work is done for him on these first two counts.

Satan, on the other hand, is the father of all liars - with Satan temptation is the least of your worries - its his lies! (John 8:44)

Hey, this is very intersting. I guess i'll put some of my input into this. Satan Isn't omnipresent. He could only be at one place at one time. There are many levels of demons. well not too many, but there are levels. The reason there is evil everywhere is because There are principalities and powers assigned to particular nations. Their could be a prince of Egypt and a power of a city in egypt. or lets just put it this way, There is a high powered demon assigned for North america. He has smaller demons under him. The next level is the Demons assigned for Canada, United States, and Mexico. The demons under those are assigned for the states, lets pick New York. and the demons under that power are assigned to individual cities, like new york city, and demons under that assigned to neighborhood and then if you are dangerous, individually to you. so there are millions and billions of demons out there. for every city, every nation. that is why you can feel the evil. and see the evil. Even is satan himself isn't there. he has assigned demons to do their work.

Satan himself isn't tempting you. The reason "he knows your thoughts" is cuz their are demons watching over you, making sure you're not a threat to their kingdom. as soon as you start "being dangerous" by praying, or preaching, or other things, they will try to stop you. if the demon is to weak, and you beat him, he will bring a higher demon to try to stop you. and the higher they go the stronger they are. so you really gotta be on guard. i dont want to scare you, cuz the One who is in us is stronger than the one in the world. We, as children of God have authority over satan. so there really is nothing to fear. we dont rely on our own strength but on the strength of Jesus who has already defeated satan. we have nothing to lose.

Hell was origionally created for Satan. Adam was tempted and fell. He didn't do what he was supposed to do. so when Jesus comes for his bride. the one thousand years are gonna be for us to live in peace, Jesus, as the second Adam and the church, as the bride of the second Adam. Satan will try to temp us again. But this time Jesus will do what the first adam didn't do. He will throw satan into the lake of fire for good so he and his followers will never bother the church and people ever again.

I hope this helps...it's a bit complicated sometimes to follow. but it's good stuff...any questions, holler at me. adios
Tanya
this has helped so much, and has even answerd some personal questions i had for myself, that might be why people say they feel "auras", it could be a demon of the area/realm. Are there angels assigned to certain areas also? And plus, if Satan has alot of minions doing his work, what is he doing?

to tell you the truth....i dunno what satan is doing. i guess he is trying to get the real high people, i mean the spiritual leaders to fall down. otherwise he has a throne that he rules on. he is the king of this world. well about angels. yes, i believe each christian is assigned at least one guardian angel. some have more than one becuase of various reasons. but there are also different levels of angels as well. sorry that i cant fully answer that question

if Satan has alot of minions doing his work, what is he doing?

He is the supervisor. Just like a secretary knows all that is going on and relates that to the superior, the demons report in with the "things to do list". So he makes decisions on what to attack first.

Where satan is..

I agree with Buddy2, satan is the superviser of the demons.

I also know that he attends black masses and rituals. he also attends his own weddings - he marries chosen high priestesses. But as it has been said before, he is not omni-present. He does have a throne and sits on it during gatherings. but no one can say for sure where he is at the moment.

Futher I don't know much more about him..

Eve

Hi all,

'Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.'(1peter 5:8)

'My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline :lightning
and do not resent his rebuke,

because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in.' (proverbs 3:11)

My quandary is how can one tell whether we are being disciplined by the Lord or tortured by the Devil, or indeed by ourselves or our own conscience?

I would like to know so that I can be sure that I am not making any wrong assumptions.

If anyone could help with this I would be very grateful. I'm probably not seeing the wood for the trees!

Thanks

God Bless

Eve:love:

Advise

Eve..

About the question you asked on how one would know who or what causes what your going through.

Hebrews 12:5-7
"And have you entirely forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you, His children? He said, "My child, don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you. For the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes those He accepts as His children" As you endure this devine discipline, remember that God is treating you as His own children.
Revelation 3:19
"I am the one who corrects and disciplines everyone I love. Be diligent and turn from your indifference"

The two verses simply explaines the way God disciplines us. I think the way to identify His discipline is to look at the light at the end of the road. Whenever you are going through God's discipline, you will surely find the strengh to come through it. You will also become stronger as you exit the struggle. God will never place a burden on your shoulders that you cannot handle.

I believe that whenever you are being tempted by the flesh, you will know it. It is all in the state of the mind. Give all your thoughts to God, let Him consume your life to the full.

If you are being tempted by satan you would find clarrity about it from God. He will show you how to handle the situation.

My final peice of advice is simply to keep your eyes on God no matter who or what causes the burden..

Hope that helped
Be blessed

Eve

Thanks so much for your reply GoggatJie,

I was thinking more along the lines of punishment maybe because we have given in to temptation. I was thinking specifically of an ex bible study leader I know of. I respect her greatly, she has a lot of knowledge of the bible. One day she told me that she believed that she had been punished by God for judging a young lady in church one day. That God had given her a physical ailment that only got better after she repented on that specific sin. It really sounded very much Old Testament to me. She seemed very convinced. Something didn't seem quite right though.

Jesus healed the sick, showed love and compassion, he died for our sins. We will all have to account for our actions, eventually they will catch up with us. However, it would have been inappropriate for me to question the lady at the time and she seemed a little touchy about it anyway. So I just left it even though it troubled me.

If anyone could shed light on why the lady might believe God had punished her it would help me in my own perception/knowledge of the Lord.:confused:

Thankyou once again.

God Bless

p.s. I had always believed that it was the Satan who tormented people, fed lies or made people suffer etc... I just thought to myself God has got better things to do than give this lady a physical ailment and watch her suffer!

Last edited:
Yeah i think it was all in that ladies head. People are way too liberal with the bible these days. People spend too much time studying the bible than praying to God and getting to know and understand your connection with him through your spirit and the Holy Spirit. God does not punish but disipline, and i have never seen it done in a physical way. He does create physical illnesses or disabilites in people for his purpose but not for disipline. This is a poor example but lets just say a woman came down with a cold so she went to the local CVS to get some cold medicine. She happened to have met a woman there who was struggleing with her faith at the time. The sick woman with her wise knowledge helped the lost woman come to terms with her problems and thus reuniting her with God. That is an example why God might make someone sick, but that is for his will not for a punishment. Hope this has helped somewhat

Thanks so much for your reply GoggatJie,

I was thinking more along the lines of punishment maybe because we have given in to temptation. I was thinking specifically of an ex bible study leader I know of. I respect her greatly, she has a lot of knowledge of the bible. One day she told me that she believed that she had been punished by God for judging a young lady in church one day. That God had given her a physical ailment that only got better after she repented on that specific sin. It really sounded very much Old Testament to me. She seemed very convinced. Something didn't seem quite right though.

Jesus healed the sick, showed love and compassion, he died for our sins. We will all have to account for our actions, eventually they will catch up with us. However, it would have been inappropriate for me to question the lady at the time and she seemed a little touchy about it anyway. So I just left it even though it troubled me.

If anyone could shed light on why the lady might believe God had punished her it would help me in my own perception/knowledge of the Lord.:confused:

Thankyou once again.

God Bless

p.s. I had always believed that it was the Satan who tormented people, fed lies or made people suffer etc... I just thought to myself God has got better things to do than give this lady a physical ailment and watch her suffer!

God does indeed chasten. And thank God when he does because as indicated in Hebrews it means he loves you (as Goga pointed out). If God let that woman know that He was chastening her (obviously she had some revelation that she was being punished for a specific action), then don't take it from her as if she is wrong per say.

To answer your previous question about how to know where suffering/punishment comes from, that is a difficult question, and a good question to think about indeed.

In my experience and observation, you have a pretty good idea when you are being chastened. I try to daily take a "spiritual inventory" and think about all the sins I may have committed that day, and I confess them. Sometimes when I confess a sin I just know I will receive punishment for it, and the chastening makes sense when I receive it, and I accept the punishment. Other times I know God has just forgiven me. Your lady friend just knew she was being chastened. I think God indicates when you are being chastened, otherwise you can not achieve anything from the punishment.

The idea that God does not want us to suffer is foreign to the bible. God wills our suffering, and wills us constant trials for many reasons (see the book of James where it is indicated trials have a perfecting work). The difference between God chastening, and satan just tormenting, is where the real difference is. God has a reason which is to help us in some way whether it is to stop us from a certain sin, to make us trust him more or whatever. Satan is always just in it for the torment, and not for any beneficial effect.

Really read the book of Job when you get time. This question is more or less posed in that book, and it is clearly indicated that God chastens and wills punishment for us when we sin (as a loving parent should), and also at the same time he allows Satan to sometimes torment us for seemingly no reason. What is interesting to note, is God more or less used Satan as a source of torment to further perfect Job. The concept of God allowing demons to torment us in various ways for the sake of perfection is not foreign to the New Testament either. In a letter from Paul to the Corinthians we read that God allowed a messenger of Satan to torment Paul as a means of humbling him.

God does indeed wish us good things, but sometimes for us to receive what he wants to give, we must suffer. With God, suffering is always a means to a better end , and with Satan it is the simply the goal.

Princess487.. that was very interesting and helpful to read.
where did you learn all of this?

The only place that tells us anything about angels :p

Here is some scripture about "guardian" angels:

There are over 270 references in Scripture to angels, I'll just put a couple here since I don't have a lot of time, and this post is really about Satan.

In Hebrews l3, verse 2, it says: "Don't forget to entertain strangers because in this manner some have entertained angels without knowing it."

2 Kings 6:15 talks about Elisha's eyes being opened to see an army of angels.

There are at least a few in the Psalms :)