• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Sanctification

Active
Sanctification is this a on going process or a one time thing?
It is written..."Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?" (Heb 10:29)
It is a one time event, done when the blood of Christ washes away your past sins at baptism in Jesus' name for the remission of sins. (Acts 2:38)

Loyal
It is a one time event, done when the blood of Christ washes away your past sins at baptism in Jesus' name for the remission of sins. (Acts 2:38)

It doesn't say that it is a "one time event" in either one of those verses.

John 13:8; Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
John 13:9; Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
John 13:10; Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

Even if you are washed... you still have to wash your feet every once on a while.

1 Cor 1:18; For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
2 Cor 2:15; For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;

Php 3:12; Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Php 3:13; Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Php 3:14; I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Or in an easier to read version.

Php 3:12; Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
Php 3:13; Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
Php 3:14; I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Active
It doesn't say that it is a "one time event" in either one of those verses.
I guess you didn't read my post.
"...wherewith he WAS sanctified..."
How often does the blood of Christ need to be shed for you?

John 13:8; Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
John 13:9; Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
John 13:10; Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
Even if you are washed... you still have to wash your feet every once on a while.
Completely off topic.

1 Cor 1:18; For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
2 Cor 2:15; For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;
Again...your version of scripture leads you down the "never done" path to death.

Php 3:12; Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Php 3:13; Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Php 3:14; I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
[./QUOTE]
Had you included verse eleven, you wouldn't have wasted so much time..
"If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead."

Loyal
Sanctification means "to make holy", "to separate"

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Psa 119:9 BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

The Word of God will sanctify, and cleanse a child of God. This is a process that takes a life time, and then some to complete.

Knowing, from the Word of God that we are dead to sin, and that sin is no longer our master to force us to do unholy things.

Rom 6:11 Even so consider yourselves also dead to sin and your relation to it broken, but alive to God [living in unbroken fellowship with Him] in Christ Jesus.
Rom 6:11 Even so consider yourselves also dead to sin and your relation to it broken, but alive to God [living in unbroken fellowship with Him] in Christ Jesus.

Col 3:9 Do not lie to one another, for you have stripped off the old (unregenerate) self with its evil practices,
Col 3:10 And have clothed yourselves with the new [spiritual self], which is [ever in the process of being] renewed and remolded into [fuller and more perfect knowledge upon] knowledge after the image (the likeness) of Him Who created it. (AMP)

Revelation of the Word of God is a process of becoming more like the person who lives inside a child of God.

2Co 3:18 And all of us, as with unveiled face, [because we] continued to behold [in the Word of God] as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are constantly being transfigured into His very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another; [for this comes] from the Lord [Who is] the Spirit.

Beholding in the Word of God the Glory of God (who is Jesus Christ) causes a change to that person from one degree of Glory to another.
(a process)

Php 3:12 Not that I have now attained [this ideal], or have already been made perfect, but I press on to lay hold of (grasp) and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me and made me His own.

Spiritual growth is the process of being transformed into in to the image of Jesus who is our life.

Php 1:5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;
Php 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Rom 8:13 For if you live according to [the dictates of] the flesh, you will surely die. But if through the power of the [Holy] Spirit you are [habitually] putting to death (making extinct, deadening) the [evil] deeds prompted by the body, you shall [really and genuinely] live forever.

Sanctification happens through out ones life, and will not be complete until the day of Jesus Christ!

Loyal
Sanctification starts at the moment of salvation and continues until we are with Christ.

To 'sanctify' something is to set it apart for special use; to 'sanctify' a person is to make him holy. A person is sanctified through God's Word. John 17:17

1 Cor. 1:30 a once-for-ever separation of believers unto God. And through reading His Word we grow in understanding -- progressive sanctification.

Little by little, every day, "those who are being sanctified' are becoming more like Christ. Hebrew 10:14 ESV

Active
Sanctification starts at the moment of salvation and continues until we are with Christ.

To 'sanctify' something is to set it apart for special use; to 'sanctify' a person is to make him holy. A person is sanctified through God's Word. John 17:17

1 Cor. 1:30 a once-for-ever separation of believers unto God. And through reading His Word we grow in understanding -- progressive sanctification.

Little by little, every day, "those who are being sanctified' are becoming more like Christ. Hebrew 10:14 ESV
If one has been sanctified, (by the blood of Christ), how can he be MORE sanctified?
One is either "set apart" or he isn't.

Loyal
I was born a "male". I have gone from being a "baby" male to a full grown "man". Am I more of a male now being much older than I was being a baby? No, I am still a male, no more or less than being a baby.

Sanctification (set apart, to make holy) happens at the new birth, but growing from a baby Christian who knows nothing of his sanctification to a full grown Christian man takes a life time to learn of who Jesus is in me. A baby Christian is just as Holy today, even though he may stagger, and fall once in a while, then what he will be in the future.

Sanctification is not a process of attaining things you lack, but a process of realizing who we already are.

Rom 8:29 For those whom He foreknew [of whom He was aware and loved beforehand], He also destined from the beginning [foreordaining them] to be molded into the image of His Son [and share inwardly His likeness], that He might become the firstborn among many brethren.
Rom 8:30 And those whom He thus foreordained, He also called; and those whom He called, He also justified (acquitted, made righteous, putting them into right standing with Himself). And those whom He justified, He also glorified [raising them to a heavenly dignity and condition or state of being]. (AMP)

Loyal
Grapes cannot come from fig seeds.
UnGodliness cannot come from Godly seed.

Except when you post here?
You do NOT use the KJV exclusively here, but should.

I've noticed that You use the KJV when you post -- fine -- that's your choice. But why do others' Need to. I grew up with KJV -- with the Scoffield notes. The choice was either a black or Navy Blue Bible covering. Over the years , I've used the old NIV and the NKJV and more recently the ESV. In fact -- the study Bible right here next to my computer is the older NIV. I say the older because the newer NIV isn't worth buying.

And, yes, as Curtis has said -- everyone starts out as either a male or female and starts to grow physically until reaching adulthood. In the spiritual realm -- we start out as babes in Christ and gradually develop to become more and more mature in Him. Our full potential won't be reached until we are With Him. It's called progressive sanctification.

Loyal
Grapes cannot come from fig seeds.
Neither does the "works of the flesh" come from the "seed" of the Word of God. A man can have the fruit of the Spirit, and at the same time be manifesting the "works of his flesh".
There is no fruit of the flesh! The fruit of the Spirit is NOT produced by man, it comes from the "seed", and manifested by the Holy Spirit within man. The works of the flesh come from the flesh, not man's spirit.

The Apostle Peter was manifesting sin in his life (works of the flesh), while still manifesting the fruit of the Spirit.

Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

One of the "works" of the flesh is "seditions" which is causing "divisions", and he did that among the Gentiles, because he feared the Jews.
Did Peter loose his salvation? Did Peter need to get born again again? Was the seed within him producing a bad fruit? Absolutely not!!! It was not the fruit of the Spirit within him, it was "the works of his flesh"!!!

Active
I was born a "male". I have gone from being a "baby" male to a full grown "man". Am I more of a male now being much older than I was being a baby? No, I am still a male, no more or less than being a baby.

Sanctification (set apart, to make holy) happens at the new birth, but growing from a baby Christian who knows nothing of his sanctification to a full grown Christian man takes a life time to learn of who Jesus is in me. A baby Christian is just as Holy today, even though he may stagger, and fall once in a while, then what he will be in the future.

Sanctification is not a process of attaining things you lack, but a process of realizing who we already are.

Rom 8:29 For those whom He foreknew [of whom He was aware and loved beforehand], He also destined from the beginning [foreordaining them] to be molded into the image of His Son [and share inwardly His likeness], that He might become the firstborn among many brethren.
Rom 8:30 And those whom He thus foreordained, He also called; and those whom He called, He also justified (acquitted, made righteous, putting them into right standing with Himself). And those whom He justified, He also glorified [raising them to a heavenly dignity and condition or state of being]. (AMP)
You are trying to have your cake, and eat it too.
First you say "Sanctification (set apart, to make holy) happens at the new birth.".
Then you counter it with "Sanctification is...a process of realizing who we already are."
Do you contend that rebirth is a "process"?

Active
Neither does the "works of the flesh" come from the "seed" of the Word of God. A man can have the fruit of the Spirit, and at the same time be manifesting the "works of his flesh".

No, he can't.
As you said..."Neither does the "works of the flesh" come from the "seed" of the Word of God."
But you counter with..."A man can have the fruit of the Spirit, and at the same time be manifesting the "works of his flesh".
You have GOT to pick one team and stick with it!
If we have been reborn of God's seed we will never manifest the works of the devil's seed.

There is no fruit of the flesh! The fruit of the Spirit is NOT produced by man, it comes from the "seed", and manifested by the Holy Spirit within man. The works of the flesh come from the flesh, not man's spirit.
The works of the flesh comes from the unreborn man.
The man not reborn of God's seed

The Apostle Peter was manifesting sin in his life (works of the flesh), while still manifesting the fruit of the Spirit.
Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

Were the "thousands who are zealous of the Law", at Jerusalem, sinners? (Acts 21:20)
The visitors were still adhering to the Laws which forbade eating with the non-Jew.
Are you ready to say that keeping the "law" was a sin?

Loyal
If we have been reborn of God's seed we will never manifest the works of the devil's seed.
Man's physical body was not reborn, which is why Paul said...….

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

He did not say "I discipline myself and keep my self under control."

Loyal
Were the "thousands who are zealous of the Law", at Jerusalem, sinners? (Acts 21:20)
The visitors were still adhering to the Laws which forbade eating with the non-Jew.
Are you ready to say that keeping the "law" was a sin?

It is if you are trying to be justified by keeping the law.

Gal 5:4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

Active
Wrong!!! The works of the flesh come from the flesh which is NOT reborn, that's it is why it's called the "works of the flesh!!" Very easy to understand.
Personally, I believe 2 Cor 2:17..."Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new"
As Paul writes..."I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Gal 2:20)

The "skin" the converted wear isn't our own.
It is Christ's.

I hope you are not trying to say that your hands, eyes, and feet do things against your will.
We can't blame our "skin" for our failures.
Those all start in the mind.

Active
Man's physical body was not reborn, which is why Paul said...….

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
He did not say "I discipline myself and keep my self under control."
You are quoting what Paul wrote, then saying he didn't say that.

Active
@At Peace -- Am hoping you'll respond back to # 16. You are apparently a strong advocate of the KJV. But since this thread topic is about sanctification -- I'd be redirecting off topic. I suppose it Could be stretched to respond if you feel that any other version teaches wrong doctrine. So -- what does NKJ say about sanctification that KJV doesn't.
Hi, Sue,
They say the same thing
I direct you to Hebrews 10:10, and 14..
"By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified."
We are NOT sanctified by growth in grace and knowledge, but by the body, (and it's blood), offered by Christ.
Thanks be to God, that we don't have to meander around the face of the earth seeking the right facts and how to use them before we are made holy, set apart, cleansed, consecrated, or atoned for.