• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Room to Wait

Staff Member
So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed [only] a few days to him because of the love he had for her. Genesis 29:20 NKJV

Isaac had twin sons—and they didn’t get along. Jacob was the more mild-mannered son. Esau made brash decisions that got him in trouble. Esau married quickly and everyone regretted it. Jacob was sent back to his mother’s family to find a bride. When Jacob met Rachel, he was certain she was the one. Jacob agreed to work for her dad, Laban, for seven years. If Jacob had that kind of tenacity, then he could marry Rachel. But seven years turned into fourteen.

Waiting is one of the hardest things you will face. You might find yourself waiting on a spouse, on children, on a promotion, on a home, or on a car—and you wonder if there is purpose in the delay. When you have to wait for something you really want, it develops perseverance (a willingness to do something in spite of the hardships faced).

Instant gratification does nothing to develop endurance. It almost always creates disappointment, a lack of contentment, and decreased life satisfaction (Esau). Trouble might actually be a gift that finds you asking for God’s help, waiting for His answer, and following His better set of directions (Jacob).

Prayer: Lord, I hate waiting. I want what I want, and now would be a good time to get it. But You say I should wait on You, for You, and with You. Teach me to wait well.