• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Resting In Christ What Does It Mean?

Active
When Jesus tells a person to come unto Him and He will give them rest, what does that mean?
What is Jesus given a person rest from?

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Loyal
When Jesus tells a person to come unto Him and He will give them rest, what does that mean?

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Lean back into Him and let Him hold you. His yoke is easy and His burden is a revelation of God in you.

Active
Bendito,
Do you believe we can rest and have peace from the spiritual warfare in this life?

For instance: Phi 4:7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall "keep your hearts and minds" through Christ Jesus.

Loyal
Bendito,
Do you believe we can rest and have peace from the spiritual warfare in this life?

For instance: Phi 4:7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall "keep your hearts and minds" through Christ Jesus.
Peace from spiritual war? No. Peace in spiritual war...Most definitely!!!

Active
@Bendito,
I say this because scripture teaches us the "Peace" of God (who is God) will "keep" our hearts and mind. We must see our life through faith in what God's tells us "He" can and will do for us. If God is keeping our hearts and minds, Satan cannot touch us. This is a promise. Sarah was barren and God told Abraham he would have child through Sarah. We have to believe.

1Pe 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that you have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

This scripute tells us, "after" we've suffered a while God will "do" these things. This is not speaking about when we get to heaven, but in this life.

Loyal
@Bendito,
I say this because scripture teaches us the "Peace" of God (who is God) will "keep" our hearts and mind. We must see our life through faith in what God's tells us "He" can and will do for us. If God is keeping our hearts and minds, Satan cannot touch us. This is a promise. Sarah was barren and God told Abraham he would have child through Sarah. We have to believe.

1Pe 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that you have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

This scripute tells us, "after" we've suffered a while God will "do" these things. This is not speaking about when we get to heaven, but in this life.
I know that you are not suggesting, though, that we be passive through it all.

Active
@Bendito,
No... I believe our responsibility is obedience. I believe if we believe what God's word tells us, and we act on it in faith believing we can win, He will bring to pass His word in us.

We cannot win against the devil without God, but God works through us. If we don't believe God's word in what He tells us is possible, we can never resist the devil. God tells us if we resist the devil He will flee from us. This is because God develops Himself in obedient believers.

Remember, Satan had to seek God's permission to affect Job. Job didn't have the Holy Ghost neither was he born again, but he came to a place that God exalted him because of his faith and obedience.The end result of Job was greater than his beginning.

Active
@Life,
REST FROM SPIRITUAL ANXIETY

What is spiritual anxiety according to scripture?

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and “ye shall” find rest unto your souls.

Spiritual anxiety according to scripture would be any fear that brings about any emotions contrary to peace. Emotions of this carnal world are the spiritual anxiety that breeds temptation. Temptations are from the lust of the father of this world that causes a person to feel anger, lust, grief and fear; which are the four foundations of all the evil that happens in this world. The Greek definition for “laden” gives us the concrete term to better understand what emotions are.

G5412
φορτίζω
phortizō
for-tid'-zo
From G5414; to load up (properly as a vessel or animal), that is, (figuratively) to overburden with ceremony (or spiritual anxiety): - lade, be heavy laden.

Jesus has told all that labor and are heavy laden to come unto Him and He shall give them rest from all these spiritual anxieties. This is done through obedience to the faith, which are through the words of Jesus Christ and when this is done, the result is peace.

Phi 4:7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

G5432
φρουρέω
phroureō
froo-reh'-o
From a compound of G4253 and G3708; to be a watcher in advance, that is, to mount guard as a sentinel (post spies at gates); figuratively to hem in, protect: - keep (with a garrison). Compare G5083.

If the peace of GOD is watching over a believer and guarding him or her, it is not possible for the enemy to press against that power and cause any believer to be without the peace of GOD which HE has promised in this life. It is the peace of GOD that is protecting that believer forever.

Until this happens that believer will suffer tribulations until he or she overcomes and is exalted into the permanent place of peace. That peace is promised and starts in this life.

1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:
1Pe 5:9 Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
1Pe 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you. (in this life)

If a believer believes they can resist steadfast in the faith and overcome the adversary in this life, striving continually in the renewing of their mind and bring their body into subjection through the grace of GOD, HIS glory and grace will, in this life, make them perfect, establish, strengthen and settle them. This is the rest that Jesus spoke of in Matthew 11:28 and 29.

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

Heb 4:9 There remains therefore a rest to the people of God.

Heb 4:11 Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

This is the rest that Jesus has promised us if we take His yoke upon us and learn of Him. We shall find rest unto our souls. This rest is from the spiritual anxiety of this life.

Active
@Bendito,
These are scriptures that give us the hope and shows us our possibilities that we can reach the rest in Christ where God will keep our hearts and minds in Him.

Matthew 13:23
But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Luke 6:40
The disciple is not above his master:but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Perfection is bringing or bearing fruit/character of Jesus 100 percent.as Matthews 13:23 says. This is the walk of faith that Jesus tells us to believe Him for. Everything that Jesus died on the cross for us is possible. Jesus died for us that we might have a change of character from unrighteousness to righteousness.

Mark 9:23
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

Only by believing the possibilities can we take these promises.

Active
@this human,
If your saying "only" God's got it and the believers have no responsibility that is not what scriptures teach. A believer's responsibility is to obey God through Jesus Christ in everything He tells us.

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Ephesians 4:22, 23, 24
"You" put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and you be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
"You"put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

@this human,
If your saying "only" God's got it and the believers have no responsibility that is not what scriptures teach. A believer's responsibility is to obey God through Jesus Christ in everything He tells us.

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Ephesians 4:22, 23, 24
"You" put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and you be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
"You"put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
We're all welcome to count on ourselves or other mere humans but the only One that is God is the human that is more. I will worship Him not you, me, or any other.

Active
@this human,
You wrote:
"We're all welcome to count on ourselves or other mere humans but the only One that is God is the human that is more. I will worship Him not you, me, or any other."

I'm trying to understand the points you are making, but you're not saying anything specific. Do you believe that Christians have responsibilities to obey God? The scriptures I've sent to you teaches not what man says, but what God has told a believer what they must do on their part in the Spirit.

Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

The only truth is what God teaches through His word. What God teaches a believer must do.

Luk 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

It means entering into the millennial Shabbat of his one thousand year rulership on earth, for those who are his at his second coming, which is when his rulership will begin, will enter that Shabbat rest then,

For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. There remains, then, a Shabbat-rest for the people of God; (Hebrews 4:8-9)

For forty years I loathed that generation and said, “They are a people who go astray in their heart, and they have not known my ways.” Therefore I swore in my wrath, “They shall not enter my rest.” (Psalm 95:10-11)
for anyone who enters the rest of God also rests from their works, just as God did from his. (Hebrews 4:10)

And that is what is meant with "he will give us rest". A rest that lasts for a thousand years.

Active
@povawiqe,
Hello povawiqe, I don’t read where it speaks about the millennial Shabbat will give us rest. Jesus said come unto “Him” and “He” will give us rest.

Joshua could not give Israel spiritual rest because the law could not deliver them from the bondage of sin. Israel did rest under Joshua it was a physical rest in the land until they sinned.

Jos 23:1 And it came to pass a long time after that “the LORD had given rest unto Israel from all their enemies round about, that Joshua waxed old and stricken in age.

1Ki. 8:56 Blessed be the Lord, that hath given rest unto his people Israel, according to all that he promised: there hath not failed one word of all his good promise, which he promised by the hand of Moses his servant.

The Law of Moses could not give the people rest because it could not give them life in taking away their sin (Gal.3:21). The law made nothing perfect but the bringing in of a better hope did; Jesus is the hope and rest. This is the rest that Jesus was speaking of when He said, come unto me and I will give you rest. The rest in verses Mat 11:28 and 29 is talking about a spiritual rest; not a physical rest. This is rest from spiritual anxieties caused by sin and also rest from the ceremonial laws. The definition of “Heavy Laden” below is “spiritual anxiety”: This is the rest that Jesus was speaking of.

G5412 (Heaven Laden)
phortizō
From G5414; to load up (properly as a vessel or animal), that is, (figuratively) to overburden with ceremony (or spiritual anxiety): - lade, be heavy laden.

You posted: “For forty years I loathed that generation and said, “They are a people who go astray in their heart, and they have not known my ways.” Therefore I swore in my wrath, “They shall not enter my rest.” (Psalm 95:10-11)
for anyone who enters the rest of God also rests from their works, just as God did from his. (Hebrews 4:10)

Who was God talking about? Answer: God was talking about the people He destroyed in the wilderness who had gone through the wilderness for forty years murmuring in unbelief.

Num 14:28 Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you:

Num 14:29 Your carcases shall fall in this wilderness; and all that were numbered of you, according to your whole number, from twenty years old and upward, which have murmured against me,

Num 14:30 Doubtless you shall not come into the land, concerning which I sware to make you dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.

Num 14:31 But your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, them will I bring in, and they shall know the land which ye have despised.

Num 14:32 But as for you, your carcases, they shall fall in this wilderness.

@povawiqe,
Hello povawiqe, I don’t read where it speaks about the millennial Shabbat will give us rest. Jesus said come unto “Him” and “He” will give us rest.

Joshua could not give Israel spiritual rest because the law could not deliver them from the bondage of sin. Israel did rest under Joshua it was a physical rest in the land until they sinned.

Jos 23:1 And it came to pass a long time after that “the LORD had given rest unto Israel from all their enemies round about, that Joshua waxed old and stricken in age.

1Ki. 8:56 Blessed be the Lord, that hath given rest unto his people Israel, according to all that he promised: there hath not failed one word of all his good promise, which he promised by the hand of Moses his servant.

The Law of Moses could not give the people rest because it could not give them life in taking away their sin (Gal.3:21). The law made nothing perfect but the bringing in of a better hope did; Jesus is the hope and rest. This is the rest that Jesus was speaking of when He said, come unto me and I will give you rest. The rest in verses Mat 11:28 and 29 is talking about a spiritual rest; not a physical rest. This is rest from spiritual anxieties caused by sin and also rest from the ceremonial laws. The definition of “Heavy Laden” below is “spiritual anxiety”: This is the rest that Jesus was speaking of.

G5412 (Heaven Laden)
phortizō

You posted: “For forty years I loathed that generation and said, “They are a people who go astray in their heart, and they have not known my ways.” Therefore I swore in my wrath, “They shall not enter my rest.” (Psalm 95:10-11)

Who was God talking about? Answer: God was talking about the people He destroyed in the wilderness who had gone through the wilderness for forty years murmuring in unbelief.

Num 14:28 Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith the LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you:

Num 14:29 Your carcases shall fall in this wilderness; and all that were numbered of you, according to your whole number, from twenty years old and upward, which have murmured against me,

Num 14:30 Doubtless you shall not come into the land, concerning which I sware to make you dwell therein, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.

Num 14:31 But your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, them will I bring in, and they shall know the land which ye have despised.

Num 14:32 But as for you, your carcases, they shall fall in this wilderness.

Because the millennial Shabbat corresponds to the weekly Shabbat, because the reason God created this heaven and earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th day is to foreshadow the length of time he appointed for this heaven and earth, 7,000 total years, with the last thousand years set apart also a Shabbat rest, and this is why, there remains a future Shabbat-rest for the people of God, that is, the one thousand year rulership of the Messiah on this earth, where all the dead in him will be resurrected to experience this rest.

...they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them. (Revelation 14:13)

The rest in the Messiah is not just some figure of speech, it is a literal appointed time of rest.

Loyal
It means entering into the millennial Shabbat of his one thousand year rulership on earth, for those who are his at his second coming, which is when his rulership will begin, will enter that Shabbat rest then,

For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. There remains, then, a Shabbat-rest for the people of God; (Hebrews 4:8-9)

For forty years I loathed that generation and said, “They are a people who go astray in their heart, and they have not known my ways.” Therefore I swore in my wrath, “They shall not enter my rest.” (Psalm 95:10-11)

And that is what is meant with "he will give us rest". A rest that lasts for a thousand years.
??!

Active
@povawiqe,

Jesus told potential believers that would come unto Him (in this life) to take “him” upon ourselves and learn of “Him.” “He” said, we shall find rest unto our soul by coming to and learning of “Him” in this life.

In the millennial Shabbat the people as you know have already been proven as son’s of God. Believer in this life are seeking to rest from the trials and tribulations of life as God has promised us in this life. Believer are learning to rest from Satan’s afflictions in trials.

Yes scripture says there remains a rest to the people of God. The work a believer is seeking to rest from is not physical rest, but spiritual rest. I gave you the definition of what Jesus was talking about. We are learning to cease from spiritual labor in Christ; resting from the devil’s temptations.

This is why we are laboring and strengthening ourselves in Christ. By doing this God will increase us and give us the manifested power over the devil (Eph. 6:16). The Spirit has warned believer not to falls into unbelief in this life (Heb. 3:12, 14). If we are not in unbelief we can rest; that is the comparison. Israel fell into unbelief and didn't enter into the promise of God's rest because of their unbelief. God told them He would keep their enimies away. God has promised us the same.

The word is our power as we get it into our spirit. We will rest in the power of God’s word in the times of our temptations (Heb. 4:15).

Loyal
There is a growing group here that teach unscriptural teachings. I'm just warning my friends to be really careful of false teaching. What people share should line up with the Word, or its not true. Just my thought here.

Active

Look NOT to yourself in obtaining your salvation any more by keeping the deeds of the law, but look to Him to believe in Him and His resurrection that by doing so you are saved so you can rest from your labors for salvation by the deeds of the law.

By learning of Him and all His promises to you, you can look to Him and rest in Him as your Good Shepherd that He will help you to follow Him by the same grace of God you were saved by and both done by faith in Jesus Christ.