• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Render unto Caesar....?

The United States of America was founded by Christians (not Deists, as revisionist historians would have you believe).

In keeping with Christian ideals, and knowing the dangers of money, our forefathers chose to put "In God We Trust" on every form of United States currency.

Until today.

The newest American dollar coin will feature most of the things we tend to expect on our money. There's a president, and some national symbolism...but the motto "In God We Trust" is absent.

---

Americans drove the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin out of circulation by refusing to use it because it was too similar to a quarter in size and just difficult to deal with.

We drove the next dollar coin out of circulation because no one really wants to carry around dollar coins when they can fold a few bills into a wallet.

Can we be trusted to drive this coin out of circulation too?

---
Be careful how you boycott:

Under United States Law, you *cannot* refuse to accept this coin at a place of business. It is legal tender and must be accepted under penalty of fines that would close any small business down (and damage most large corporations). If you are working at a register and someone hands you this coin, you are legally bound to accept it.

But as a Christian individual, you can refuse to accept this coin as change from others. You can refuse to accept this coin from your bank, from every store, and from every person you know.

Deceased founding President, George Washington, is the man our government has chosen to put upon this coin. I leave you with a quote from him:

"In such a state of things it is in an especial manner our duty as a people, with devout reverence and affectionate gratitude, to acknowledge our many and great obligations to Almighty God and to implore Him to continue and confirm the blessings we experience." -- Official Thanksgiving speech, January 1, 1795

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, and for lettings us know about this. Christianity in the West has come under the cosh of modernistic, and atheistic and ant-christian thought since the 60s/70s

It is only a 60/70 years ago that the Parliament here in the U.K. began each daily session with prayer.

The bible says "there arose another generation which knew not the LOrd nor yet the works which he had done for Israel" Jud 2:10 This would also apply to the West today. Another generation has arisen which does not know the Lord neither has it heard of or known or seen His mighty power.

I have visited the U.S of A.and as a Christian I have been impressed with the words 'In God we trust' on the coinage. I thought what a great testimony to His greatness and power, what a great country this is....and still remains.

Some while now since the hymn was written......Stand up stand up for Jesus ye soldiers of the cross....... The challenge remains. May we all in His Name arise to it.

Administrator
Staff Member
Its unfortunate that our country (USA) is declining so rapidly in morality and ethics. The obvious sign is pushing GOD away from our schools, government offices, and welcome thrash in the movies, tv shows, radio, etc.

Do not be surprised by the lowness we face each day. The Word warned us:

Matthew 24:9-14

9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Active
Focusing on the right and not the wrong

I receive this, Thu, 31 may 2007 6:59 pm in my inbox let me know what you think about it

Yesterday there was message sent to most of us about the " In God we Trust" being taken off the coins. The individual stated that he did research on it and found the reasons from the mint itself...does this message ring a bell to anyone?

I say take the In God We Trust of all money as God and Money have nothing to do with each other and God does not support money in any kind of way. Remember that Jesus himself stated that the love of money is the root of all evil. Greed is one of the worst sins there is and we all should know that selfishness is the true creation of sin. Jesus also stated to give to Ceasar what is Ceasars but give to me what belongs to me, therefore God doesn't respect the idea of money or the use of it. Taken care of your church doesn't necessarily mean in monetary value either.

You see when "christians" want to put god on everything it leads others to believe that they have set up a contradiction. Although this isn't the case it tends to be the supportive view of the world. "christians" are not to be part of the world and are actually suppose to extract themselves from it. So, does it really matter if our money states In God We Trust? No. Beliefs in rightousness is in the heart and actions not what is stated on coins or anywhere else.

Confused? Here's another example for you: A lot of people state that Jesus may have been married to Mary of Magdeline. Christians are in raged by this and love to argue about it. I guess I must ask what is more important to you and us: Whether Jesus was married or following and practicing what Jesus had to teach? STOP LOSING FOCUS THEN AND DO AS YOU KNOW TO DO! It doesn't matter and the more people want to argue silly facts, that there is proof one way or another, the more Christians lose focus of what Jesus was teaching us to begin with. This is the same as all the other silly arguements like the one above about the removal of In God We Trust.

Social acceptance is not a Christian way.

Thanks for reading,

Charles

Last edited:
In God we trust

Those gold dollar coins DO have "In God We Trust" on them. Look at the edge of the coin. It should be stamped with the year and the mint mark (either D or P) on the edge of the coin.
And no, the standard of money in this country has always had this on it and should remain as such.

(from Yahoo answers)

Hrm....

The pictures I was shown displayed the obverse and reverse of the coins.

The motto is present on neither.

You are correct that it has been stamped into the edge of the coin. I had no way to see that on the pictures, and had you not specifically mentioned it, I would never have found it on the actual coins.

I am still going to boycott these coins. Our government has sent God Himself to the "back of the bus" and probably would have removed Him entirely if they thought they could get away with it.

---

I don't want people to think "In God We Trust" has been the motto for American money since the country was founded. In fact, it wasn't put on coins as an official motto to be on all currency until 1938.

The horrors of war and the political climate of the day were probably the main catalysts for this decision.

But let me show you a progression:

Over the head of the American Lincoln Penny, the words "In God We Trust" are clearly bestowed. It is as though this motto "presides" over President Lincoln as a guiding force.

On the Jefferson nickel, we see a similar construction. The words "In God We Trust" are placed along the obverse (that means front). In this case, even though the nickel is larger than the penny, the words have moved from being over the head of the president, to being before his face.

When we reach both the standard and Mercury dimes, a change takes place. Now the word displayed most prominantly is "Liberty," and this is the word to which the President looks. "In God We Trust" is squished down to a barely legible stamp beneath the President's throat. Logically, it would have made better sense to shrink the single word of "Liberty" and move the motto elsewhere or leave it along the outer rim of the front.

At the "standard" Quarter dollar, we see "In God We Trust" continues to be squished to the tiny space by the Prestident's throat, even though this was the third largest coin in wide circulation in America when it was minted. The word Liberty is now relatively huge.

The "State" Quarters push the motto from beneath the President's throat to behind his head and make it *smaller*.

And lastly we come to this new dollar coin. Not only is the position of the godly motto so "prominent" that most people miss it entirely, but the U.S. Mint has openly said that some 50,000 coins "accidentally" went into circulation without the motto stamped into them at all.

----

As a point of fact, there *are* coins minted by the U.S. Mint right now which do not possess the motto on obverse, reverse, or even edge. The Lewis and Clark Silver Dollar is but one example. They are not "standard" currency and they are not "in circulation" as spendable cash (though technically I suppose you could spend them).

I find it frighteningly ironic that the coins which completely lack the mention of God shall become the most valuable to collectors in time. Surely there is a lesson to be learned in that fact.

I encourage all Christians to pay careful attention to how the wind is blowing in America now, lest the storm take you by surprise later.