• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community.

Join over 10,000 members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to or from Light / Night mode simply click on Site Menu icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Quotes about Fear

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Administrator
Staff Member
Quotes about Fear - Read scriptures that can guide and encourage you on topics relating to fear, such as fear and anxiety, fear of love, fear of the unknown and fear of death. Read verses from the Holy Bible about fear in relation to God, Jesus Christ, and the Christian faith.

Psalm 23:4

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 118:6

The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

2 Timothy 1:7

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

Psalm 115:11

You who fear him, trust in the LORD-- he is their help and shield.

Psalm 103:17

But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--

Psalm 112:1

Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands.

Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

1 Chronicles 28:20

David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished.

Psalm 56:3-4

When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

Isaiah 41:10

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:13

For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Isaiah 54:4

"Do not be afraid; you will not suffer shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood.

Matthew 10:28

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 8:15

For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ""Abba," Father."

1 Corinthians 16:13

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.

Hebrews 13:5-6

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

1 Peter 3:13-14

Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened."

1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Excellent thread Chad, even though we claim to not fear sometimes our actions show differently. Sometimes even our doctrines, ministry, and evangelism methods promote and employ fear as a motivator. We should take a long hard look at the basis of the religious message we propagate and make sure it isn't conflicting.

Last edited:
Quotes about Fear - Read scriptures that can guide and encourage you on topics relating to fear, such as fear and anxiety, fear of love, fear of the unknown and fear of death. Read verses from the Holy Bible about fear in relation to God, Jesus Christ, and the Christian faith.

Psalm 23:4

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 118:6

The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

2 Timothy 1:7

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

Psalm 115:11

You who fear him, trust in the LORD-- he is their help and shield.

Psalm 103:17

But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--

Psalm 112:1

Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands.

Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

1 Chronicles 28:20

David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished.

Psalm 56:3-4

When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

Isaiah 41:10

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:13

For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Isaiah 54:4

"Do not be afraid; you will not suffer shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood.

Matthew 10:28

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 8:15

For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ""Abba," Father."

1 Corinthians 16:13

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.

Hebrews 13:5-6

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

1 Peter 3:13-14

Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened."

1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
Good stuff Chad.. Here is one quote I repeat to myself often. WORD based but not WORD.

"Fear is an entity that does not diminish with time. It grows!! Banish it before it can grow!"

Fear is an actual entity.

one of satan's boys...

Fear is an actual entity.
[COLOR=Black]Indeed, fear is a supernatural entity.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7 KJV)

Fear is a demonic spirit, a devil, and should likewise be dealt with spiritually.[/COLOR]

Quick question guys: Why can some people seemingly overcome this spirit, through exposure to what troubles and instills fear in them? Wouldn't Jesus have to intervene and cast it out if it's truly a demonic spirit?

Lawrence: You say it must be dealt with spiritually. What measures would get rid of a spirit of fear once and for all?

Last edited:
Quick question guys: Why can some people seemingly overcome this spirit, through exposure to what troubles and instills fear in them? Wouldn't Jesus have to intervene and cast it out if it's truly a demonic spirit?

Lawrence: You say it must be dealt with spiritually. What measures would get rid of a spirit of fear once and for all?

Through exposure? Why can't you quit smoking by smoking more? People don't overcome fear, they grow addicted to it. They chase fear looking for another fix until it kills them. Now here's something to rattle your cage. It isn't JESUS' job to cast out demons. Its our job. He gave us the authority and the command to do it.

Matthew 28:17-25 (King James Version)

<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-24213">17</sup>And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-24214">18</sup>And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-24215">19</sup>Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-24216">20</sup>Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Matthew 10:7-8 (King James Version)

<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-23425">7</sup>And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-23426">8</sup>Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Mark 16:16-18 (King James Version)

<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-24890">16</sup>He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-24891">17</sup>And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-24892">18</sup>They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Man, we have the authority and the command to do the job! Kinda cool hey?

Through exposure? Why can't you quit smoking by smoking more? People don't overcome fear, they grow addicted to it. They chase fear looking for another fix until it kills them. Now here's something to rattle your cage. It isn't JESUS' job to cast out demons. Its our job. He gave us the authority and the command to do it.
People overcome fear every day. Whether it be fear of heights, fear of people, fear of spiders. How can you deny this? Visit a social-anxiety forum, and read thousands of success stories of people who are no longer ostracized and scared to interact with others. You know how they accomplished this? By repeatedly putting themselves into situations which provoked their fear at first, but ultimately helped them overcome it in the end.

And Jesus did indeed give us the authority to cast out demons, but ''us'' taking the credit is foolish. The Holy Spirit is who does the deed and thus Jesus deserves the praise. But demons don't always get cast out as easily as ''poof its gone''...

Last edited:
People overcome fear every day. Whether it be fear of heights, fear of people, fear of spiders. How can you deny this? Visit a social-anxiety forum, and read thousands of success stories of people who are no longer ostracized and scared to interact with others. You know how they accomplished this? By repeatedly putting themselves into situations which provoked their fear at first, but ultimately helped them overcome it in the end.

And Jesus did indeed give us the authority to cast out demons, but ''us'' taking the credit is foolish. The Holy Spirit is who does the deed and thus Jesus deserves the praise. But demons don't always get cast out as easily as ''poof its gone''...
Do they overcome it? Probably. The emotion of fear is overcomable though the will but when a spirit of fear comes on the scene and manipulates that emotion....That's quite a different story. So you're talking about an emotion? And Im talking about a spirit? Ok. In either case, fear has no business in a Christias life.

Do they overcome it? Probably. The emotion of fear is overcomable though the will but when a spirit of fear comes on the scene and manipulates that emotion....That's quite a different story. So you're talking about an emotion? And Im talking about a spirit? Ok. In either case, fear has no business in a Christias life.
Fear comes from one source; so how do we make this differentiation between emotion of fear and spirit of fear?

I believe fear becomes a problem when it starts to dominate aspects of a persons life. A little skepticism and added alertness isn't really in the same category as a crippling fear of germs/contamination(for ex).

Last edited:
Fear comes from one source; so how do we make this differentiation between emotion of fear and spirit of fear?

I believe fear becomes a problem when it starts to dominate aspects of a persons life. A little skepticism and added alertness isn't really in the same category as a crippling fear of germs/contamination(for ex).
OK I've argued as much as I'm going to

I will say,though, Fear is not part of the Blessing. It's part of the curse. How do I know? It does not make you grow.

Last edited:
you're in a war

Wouldn't Jesus have to intervene and cast it out if it's truly a demonic spirit?
[COLOR=Black]As El Hombre viejo and the Word of God say, "we have the authority and the command to do the job!"[/COLOR]

Casting out the spirit of fear, or rebuking devils, is not going to help.

For there to be fear, you have to believe something.
[COLOR=Black]Brother Mike is spot on, because..."For as [a man] thinketh in his heart, so is he" (Proverbs 23:7 KJV).
[/COLOR]
Quick question guys: Why can some people seemingly overcome this spirit, through exposure to what troubles and instills fear in them?

[COLOR=Black]and[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Black]The psychological technique is called "desensitization." It has nothing to do per se with the spirit of fear -- unless, of course, you make the choice to let it become operant in your life. Then it's back to what Brother Mike said i.e. "For there to be fear, you have to believe something."

As El Hombre viejo said, "So you're talking about an emotion? And Im talking about a spirit? Ok."[/COLOR]

...demons don't always get cast out as easily as ''poof its gone''...
[COLOR=Black]True, not always,as it's quite common for the one so afflicted to not want to be set free.
[/COLOR]
A little skepticism and added alertness isn't really in the same category as a crippling fear of germs/contamination(for ex).
[COLOR=Black]That is true; but only because they are separate categories -- it is not a matter of degree. In the former, Brother Mike's "you have to believe in something" requirement has not been met; in the latter, the foul spirit is operant.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Black]This is spiritual warfare. Are you dressed for success? Read Ephesians chapter six and do what it says. We also learn from the Word of God that a lackluster effort will reap a lackluster result -- if not worse! And there are no guarantees in this world. If you don't fill the void of a departed foul spirit with the Lord's, then a repeat performance is probable -- and when that happens it'll be much worse than at the first (see Matthew chapter 12 and Luke chapter 11 KJV).[/COLOR]

We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world. Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love. 1John 4:16-18

Many thanks to all who have participated so far in this thread. The responses have helped me to understand this a lot better.

The Lord put a couple scriptures on my heart this afternoon, which I think confirms a lot of the message.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: [COLOR="Blue"]for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? - 2 Corinthians 6:14[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. - John 1:5[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. - James 4:8[/COLOR]

The more we let the glorious light of Jesus shine through us, the more darkness will be forced to flee. And faith will grow along the way.

Last edited: