• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Quenching the Spirit

Quenching the Spirit

Questions? Why do we attend church? Is it just something we should do? Is it apart of our religion or is it base upon our commitment to God (relationship)?

I have notice that we quench the spirit when we don’t allow it to govern and lead praise and worship. Am not saying that I am perfect cause I was also guilty of this same thing wanted to shout but was to timid to even speak. I remember the apostles Paul and Peter just examples of a few who never had access to the written word (scriptures) cause in actuality they were the author of them. Jesus said to Satan “Man should not live by bread alone, but by the word that proceeds from the mouth of God.” Some Christians limit God speaking at Revelation, but if your not hearing from God prayer until you do cause He still speaks life to our lives.

I heard God spoke to me and told me that we are using old vision in a new vision He has given us. We put God past performances into the present, He is doesn’t change He is the God of yesterday, today and forevermore. But He wants us to understand that He is the God of today. When we limit God we are quenching His spirit and we are not allowing Him to move the way He wants us to. Just recently God gave a church a new vision but since we experience God before we was trying to see this new vision in an old way; we were scared when it wasn’t going right in our eye sight but am glad that the word says in 1 Corinthians 1:27 “He choose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise.”

When I saw the spirit of God move in the place the atmosphere was not even the same. The atmosphere was of praise and worship but there was hardly any singing. It was people worshipping God “in spirit and in truth (John 4:24), and that made a difference. Sometimes we go to church and the songs we sing make us feel so good but that is not worshipping God in spirit and in truth. Anyone can sing words they see in the hymn book or in the bulletin we know some songs by heart. We sometimes never consider the depth of the song but we like the beat. But I love the song by Bishop Trotter “My worship is for real.” The song simply says “You don’t know my story or the things that I have been through, you can’t feel my pain what I had to go through to get here you will never understand my praise so don’t try to figure it out cause my worship is for real.”

How great would it be when the whole church could come worship God for real, truthfully, genuinely, just as we are and render our hearts to Him and not our garment? I must say we do look the part when we go to church but what happens when we go on vacation. We leave our homes (country) but we are not leaving God. But thank God that He is everywhere He isn’t confine to Bahamas only, He is not an idol I carry around, not the cross on my neck but His words are engraved on my heart. But thanks be God that David came to the realization in Psalms 139:7 “Where can I go from your spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?” I don’t know about you but am glad that He is every where and His eye is on me.

Love Shortlady

Thanks for that shortlady. I too am so glad that God is everywhere and His eye is on me. He loves each one of us so much, and always makes me feel special. It's so awesome that the King of all kings and the Lord of all lords takes a special interest in each one of us. Without the Holy Spirit helping us to worship in spirit and truth worship is worthless. Praise you Father.