• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Punishment for disobedience?

Hey, I have a problem, so I thought I'd come here since the people of this forum seem like very sincere Christians. I myself have been a Christian my whole life, but I have a few issues I need help with.

My son won't listen to me or his father. Both of us have tried to tell him not to swear, but he insists upon using dirty language anyway and defying us.

So I decided that I needed to take extra measures to make sure that he obeys us, and so I consulted Deuteronomy 21, which says I should stone him.

So anyway, yesterday, my husband and I took our son out to Bob Evans (it was senior night- so it was filled with elders) and asked around, but no one would help us stone him. We even packed the van full of large rocks from outside our house.

How can I get people to help us stone our son? Thanks.

In Christ,
Coelo

Obviously this is a discussion regarding literal translations vs. reading whatever you want into what the bible says.

Didn't mean to double post, sorry.

Last edited:
LIteral interpretation ignores the hyperbole Jesus sometimes used in His parables, i.e the beam (plank) in your eye vs. the mote (speck) in your brother's eye (see Mt 7:3).

SLE

Hey, I have a problem... How can I get people to help us stone our son? Thanks.

In Christ,
Coelo

Why on earth you’re making this point is more significant than the point you’re making.

Discussions like this are fairly typical of atheist jibes at Christianity, though I’m not suggesting you’re an atheist. (You say you’re a Christian.)

Those who really think this way don’t have a solid understanding of all that’s been accomplished in Christ. Or, to put it another way, they need a much better understanding of New Testament Christian truth.

The Law you’re dipping into here was given for the unrighteous and sinners – potential and actual lawbreakers – but grace in Christ is freely available to all, though we don’t deserve it. There is a direct path to God for forgiveness through faith thanks to all Christ won for you on the cross. It is the Christian’s ongoing experience.

Before Christ The Law was invoked because of disobedience, but now you and I have access through grace for forgiveness and restoration. Christ is our go-between (1st John 2:1).

So, there’s no reason to throw stones anymore.

"Do not think that I came to do away with the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to undo but to complete and fulfill them... You have heard that it was said... But I say to you... You have heard that it was said... But I say to you... Furthermore it has been said... But I say to you... Again you have heard that it was said to those of old... But I say to you...” (from Matthew 5).

“Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk, desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm.

“But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust” (1st Timothy 1:5-11, NKJV).

Duet 21:18-22
If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him,
his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town.
They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is worthless and vile (hebrew=zalal) and a drunkard."
Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Lets take a look at this passage.

To do that how about transporting it into the modern day.

A man has a stubborn and rebellious son who is worthless and vile because the man refused to discipline him or love him as he should. The boy ignores him.
The man says 'it's not my fault' and blames the media, the education system and the boys mother. ***** he says. He doesn't listen to you either because he doesn't respect you. If you'd done the right thing by him it wouldn't have happened.
The son hangs out with his deadbeat friends and starts smoking and doing drugs. Then he kills someone in a drunken hit and run. However he is vile. Vile is fun. So is raping people. Robbing them. Eventually he becomes a pimp.

Tut, tut says society. It wasn't his fault. It was his upbringing. No way, say his parents. We loved him. He was always like that. It's the media and the education system. We couldn't control his friends or his behaviour when he was away from us.

Flash back to the bible. Imagine you live in a culture where people know who you are, your family, your background and several generations back by repuation because you live in a community. Imagine that you can't escape the consequences of your actions because everyone knows what you do and what you've done. Now view the upbringing of your child.

Would you bring up a child who was 'vile' and rebellious because you couldn't be bothered to take the trouble to discipline and care about the kid. If you didn't, everyone would know. Everyone.
Now if a child really was a monster from childhood. And nothing you could do had any effect on his character. Is it much better to release him on the innocent community around you - or go to the elders of your community and openly admit your complete failure as responsible parents and stone him as a witness to it?

No?

Why not?

Think about it.

And as for the above posts. The ignorance of the average protestant christian amazes me sometimes.

I say protestant because you should know better. Catholics in general arn't even activly encouraged to read the bible.

Last edited:
Hello Sharen.

Interesting comments:

And as for the above posts. The ignorance of the average protestant christian amazes me sometimes.

I say protestant because you should know better. Catholics in general arn't even activly encouraged to read the bible.

I'm wondering what you mean exactly?

Sam

Last edited:
Hey, I have a problem, so I thought I'd come here since the people of this forum seem like very sincere Christians. I myself have been a Christian my whole life, but I have a few issues I need help with.

My son won't listen to me or his father. Both of us have tried to tell him not to swear, but he insists upon using dirty language anyway and defying us.

So I decided that I needed to take extra measures to make sure that he obeys us, and so I consulted Deuteronomy 21, which says I should stone him.

So anyway, yesterday, my husband and I took our son out to Bob Evans (it was senior night- so it was filled with elders) and asked around, but no one would help us stone him. We even packed the van full of large rocks from outside our house.

How can I get people to help us stone our son? Thanks.

In Christ,
Coelo

LOL Successful troll is successful.

Administrator
Staff Member
Just another immature clown that has nothing better to do with his/her life.

How sad and useless.