• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Prophetic speaking in the church

Hey everyone,

I am really struggling with something. I am currently attending a church where prophetic speech is encouraged, and am unsure with where I stand with what's going on in the church. I know that bible speaks about 'the gift of prophecy' and the verse below comes to mind particularly when I am feeling uncomfortable,

1 Corinthian 12: 1-5
Now concerning spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be uninformed. You know that when you were pagans you were led astray to mute idols, however you were led. Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord...;

I mean...if the name of the Lord Jesus is being confessed, then how can it be anything other than the holy spirit, right?

It's just in the prophecy around me I don't feel love...but then I think..what if I'm blaspheming the holy spirit?

Matthew 12:31-32
Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

But then there's the verse about practicing gifts with love

1 Corinthians 13:1-13
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

So I guess the question comes down to is prophetic speaking without love dangerous?

I don't feel safe during the worship and sermons, but this is the first church that my husband, daughter and I feel at home, we really love the fellowship that is encouraged before and after the service, it's bringing new Christians into our lives, and we've been praying for this. Also, I should mention that we live in a country where the Christian community is smaller than somewhere like America.

I would love to hear what you all think.

Thank you,
Margo

Active
I am all for prophecy as long as we all agree that a false prophet is someone who gets one prophesy wrong. If anyone starts a line to me with ''God says or God told them''...it better be from God or they are a liar.

Yes, all prophetic speaking must be in love. Prophecy comes from God and God is love. We just need to understand that sometimes love may be tough Prov 27:6.

Yes, it can become reckless. I don't feel like they mean to prophesy falsely, but prophecy seem to be priority in many of the churches where I live, and I think I'm just missing humility.

Staff Member
Hello Margo,
Praying this find you and yours with many blessings being poured upon your family.

Nothing wrong with prophetic speaking. However,.......that's my way of saying "but". The prophets of the Bible were 100% correct. There was no mistakes. Nope. God will have said what He wants heard. Nothing more, nothing less.

If a person is wrong, then prophet they are not. Sit down and pray for true guidance. This is the part that the Ministry should be overseeing. It should be understand by one and all that being wrong in a prophetic speech or contrary to what the word of God says. Is a sure sign that it is not from God.

Be open to what is being said, but remember that what is being said must be weighted, and judged for being of God. Yeah, I know. Judge. Yep, we need to judge the right and wrong of things, and we not only have the Word of God to do so, but the Holy Spirit within us to guide us.

Your concern that these prophetic words are lacking love is really not the point here. You will find that there is a balance of prophecy that communicates doom, gloom, but also at times of future hope. All depends of what is going on in the church, community, and or the world. You will probably hear words that are distressing to hear. One of His ways of getting our attention and trying to provide us the opportunity to get back on the right track.

With the Love part. You don't need prophetic speech to know that your hope is in the Lord. It would be nice to hear some confirmation of this, but is it necessary? That God loves us? We know that. That it will eventually all turn out right? Sure, we know from Scripture and Biblical Prophets that it will.

Does this mean that we won't be going through tough times, trials and tribulations? Nope on the contrary. We are guaranteed to go through those and sometimes we might just need reminders of this, so we don't forget to hold on to the one who will see us through all things. For the world will continue to throw everything they can at us as Children of the Most High. So we focus on Him through both the Good and Bad times. We give Him the Glory at all times!!!!

So, listen, learn, and consider what is being said. If it doesn't happen. It's not from God. Talk with the Shepard of your church should this happen. Prophets in the OT were tested. If they were right. Then they were prophets of God. If they were wrong. They were stoned to death for being false prophets. I don't anticipate any stoning going on, but whoever that person was. Needs some strong talking to and told to sit down and be quiet.

If it does happen. Then Glorify God that He has deemed one in your congregation to speak words that He wants you to hear! Even if they are not the most comforting of words to hear. This doesn't cover everything there is about prophecy, but for you it should be an awareness thing. Just stay vigilant!!

I truly hope this helps at least a little.
YBIC
C4E
<><

Additional Note: Remember, if its a warning and action is taken concerning it. Then it doesn't mean that it has to happen. So if the words being spoken don't happen due to change then its okay. Here is a warning with a promise of hope! However, it does require change and is valid today as it was when it was first spoken!

"When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, 14 "if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:13-14

Loyal
Hey everyone,

I am really struggling with something. I am currently attending a church where prophetic speech is encouraged, and am unsure with where I stand with what's going on in the church. I know that bible speaks about 'the gift of prophecy' and the verse below comes to mind particularly when I am feeling uncomfortable,

Now concerning spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be uninformed. You know that when you were pagans you were led astray to mute idols, however you were led. Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord...;

I mean...if the name of the Lord Jesus is being confessed, then how can it be anything other than the holy spirit, right?

It's just in the prophecy around me I don't feel love...but then I think..what if I'm blaspheming the holy spirit?

Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

So I guess the question comes down to is prophetic speaking without love dangerous?

I don't feel safe during the worship and sermons, but this is the first church that my husband, daughter and I feel at home, we really love the fellowship that is encouraged before and after the service, it's bringing new Christians into our lives, and we've been praying for this. Also, I should mention that we live in a country where the Christian community is smaller than somewhere like America.

Thank you,
Margo

Margo I do not know the church of which you speak, but I want to address your concern about blaspheming the Holy Spirit....First off...If you're walking in your best lights, that is walking in the Word to the best of your ability, focusing on serving God and glorifying Him, its nigh on to impossible for you to grieve or blaspheme the Holy Spirit. You can relax on that score ok? Look...here is an example of grieving the Holy Spirit...
Hebrews 6:4-6 (CJB)
4 For when people have once been enlightened, tasted the heavenly gift, become sharers in the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit), 5 and tasted the goodness of God’s Word and the powers of the ‘olam haba (the world to come) — 6 and then have fallen away — it is impossible to renew them so that they turn from their sin, as long as for themselves they keep executing the Son of God on the stake all over again and keep holding him up to public contempt.
I would bet all the donuts in the world that this is not you.
As for the prophesy in that church....It MUST line up with scripture or you need to find another church.

Loyal
Hello there Margoeli.
I am of a Pentecostal Church that strictly adheres to the discipline of the gospel preached by Jesus and the apostles.
In the Revival Fellowship we practice at our meetings the voice gifts of the Holy spirit within the Church.
Tongues, interpretation, prophesying.

1. I do not know what you mean by prophetic speaking without love...

Quite often we also get admonished for failing to live up to our Lord's expectations for those professing to live by the gospel.
Often we are admonished for not praying in the Spirit enough and thereby failing to build up our inner person and faith.
The Lord sometimes reminds us that we endanger ourselves by looking to past desires or in not letting go of sin that can ensnare an unwise soul.
Often the Lord and our Father tells the Church how much He loves us.
Then again God can remind us of the great sacrifice that His only begotten son, Jesus, paid for our salvation. And we are strongly upbraided in a voice gift
not to squander that salvation in becoming slothful in our habits.
Most recently, God is encouraging us to keep the faith and be ready to endure and suffer the terrible tribulation and war that is coming upon the whole
Earth very very soon. The Father tells us that only our continuing faith in Jesus and in utilizing the power and mantle of the Holy Spirit will we have any
chance of surviving. The Lord pulls no punches and tells us that there will be a great falling away as many will abandon their faith.

After 19 years of listening to the voice gifts given by the Holy Spirit in our meetings I can tell when the wisdom is from God as opposed to a person who may
start with what the Spirit gives them to say, but goes on to embellish it with their own thoughts/words.
When God speaks to His people it is a beautiful wisdom wherein even the admonishments and reprimands are still done in a very loving expression of
care and concern. A prophet may speak with fervour and intensity but never crudely in condemnation.

Loyal
I don't feel safe during the worship and sermons, but this is the first church that my husband, daughter and I feel at home, we really love the fellowship
Judge and measure ALL things from what is preached at the pulpit to the behaviour and conversation of your fellow church members against the Holy Scriptures.
In this lies your safety.
I presume that your church in having prophets would strictly adhere to the Word of God; and be obedient to the directives for a correctly conducted church service as
outlined in 1Corinthians 14:
:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation.
Let all things be done unto edifying.
1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
1Co 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
1Co 14:30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
1Co 14:31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
1Co 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

What Paul is writing here is that the operation of the voice gifts in the Church [3 of the 9 gifts of the spirit distributed within the Church] then it must not be
done in confusion and out of order, but rather decently and properly.
In the Revival Fellowship when we operate the voice gifts one person will speak in tongues, then another will give what the scriptures refer to as 'interpretation'
this is done to a maximum of 3 times.
Then will come up to a maximum of 3 times the gifts of prophesy [or inspired speaking].

And that's it folks. Then we have a prayer line were people come forth for prayer with our Pastors, Elders and House Leaders.

Hey everyone,

Thank you,
Margo
Hey everyone,

Thank you,
Margo