• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Promises - Prepare a Place

Staff Member
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, [there] ye may be also. (John 14:3)

Because Jesus will go and prepare a place for us, He will also surely return to take us to be with Him. Christ often assures us throughout Scripture that He is coming back for His church. The place that He has prepared for us will be our eternal dwelling as we are His bride. Praise the Lord that we have this assurance!

BLB

Loyal
And as He prepares a place for us a place is also being prepared for Him. Remember also this:

"And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." Mark 9:58

Is not the place for Him lay His head to be in us? David spoke of this:

"Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up into my bed;
I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids,
Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob." Psalm 132:3-5

And where is this habitation, this place of rest for our Lord?

"For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it." Psalm 132:13-14

It might be a good thing for us to understand just what and where Zion is today...

Are we ready? Are we prepared?

Staff Member
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit. Ephesians 2:19-22

Being prepared brother!

Loyal
It's true we are the church, and it's true our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
But those places are already "prepared" and even existed in the time of the apostles.

So where is this place Jesus is preparing for us?

John 14:2; In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.
John 14:3; If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.
John 14:4; And you know the way where I am going.”
John 14:5; Thomas *said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?”
John 14:6; Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

There is a lot here. The "place" Jesus is talking about, isn't here. He is "going" to prepare a place. ..and wherever
that place is... you can go there and dwell with Him also. Where is that place. It gives a few clues.
"In my Father's house" are many dwelling places (King James says mansions). He is talking about His Father's house.
Jesus ends this passage with "No man comes to the Father...". The place we are going is the Father's house.

There is a place after this life. It seems some will go to heaven. Some will go to the New Jerusalem.
Some will rule and reign on the earth. There will eventually be a new heaven's and a new earth. Perhaps that is
the place He is preparing. If we have eternal life... then this life isn't all there is. Eternal is never ending, everlasting,
without end. Our current physical bodies are not everlasting and eternal, they will perish, so obviously Jesus wasn't
talking about that place. Besides, that's where the Holy Spirit swells. Jesus is talking about a place for "us" to dwell.

Where is the Father's house?

Rev 3:12; He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name.

Rev 21:22; I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.
Rev 21:23; And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb.

The Lord and the Lamb dwell in this city. The city that comes down from heaven.

Rev 21:27; and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

It is not this life or this current earth, there are plenty of unclean people who practice abominations and lying here.
Those people will not be able to enter into this city. Only those whose names are written in the Book of Life can enter into
this city. This is the place Jesus is preparing for us.

Rev 22:3; There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him;

Rev 22:14; Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15; Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

This isn't just a spiritual place. It is a physical place with physical dimensions.
It isn't here yet. It doesn't come down from heaven until after the tribulation and the millennial reign.

Loyal
Lots of things it seems that we do not understand, at least not fully.I really do not pretend to understand so much even though at times I see a brighter Light in certain times and places that in other times and places.

If the place in us is not prepared or cared for properly, can Jesus ever come to a final rest within us? The new or inner man of which Paul spoke was the place for Jesus, but...

"When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation." Matt 12:43-45

So does the house mentioned in the above verses related to the new or inner man of Paul?

"That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love," Eph 3:16-17

Why does the "where" have to be in a physical place other than in out hearts? Is even that really a physical place as we understand physical?

Where is His Father's house? Why must it be removed from people?

"And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." Luke 17:20-21

Where exactly is the God's house? What is God's kingdom? Where was it that Jesus "went" in order to prepare?

Where is the city for which Abraham searched?

"By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God." Heb 11:9-10

I seem to come up with more questions than answers, but which answers are needed?

Loyal
So does the house mentioned in the above verses related to the new or inner man of Paul?

Neither, it is the house of the unclean spirit.

Why does the "where" have to be in a physical place other than in out hearts?

I don't know if it "has" to be. The Bible simply says it is.

Rev 21:1; Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea.
Rev 21:2; And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.

This doesn't happen until the first heaven and earth pass away. That certainly hasn't happened yet.

Loyal
Neither, it is the house of the unclean spirit.

I see every men who has not yet overcome the world as still in a measure double-minded. When we follow the lead of the Spirit, the new inner man is growing closer to God as God works within us. When we quench the Spirit, the old man is growing working the regain the dominion lost when we met the Master. But, if our approach to Him exceeds our approach in the other wrong direction eventually our instability will go away. Our instability is due to efforts to continue to feed the old man instead of starving him. Is he not the unclean spirit or the follower of the unclean spirit?

I don't know if it "has" to be. The Bible simply says it is.
You don't see just what I see, but that's OK for so long as both of us are following the Holy Spirit will we not eventually eventually end up where God wants us to...?