• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Promise(s)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
Promise(s)

A promise is a pledge given by one person to another by declaration through words. If the words of a promise are written down on paper, then it would be called a “covenant”. A promise is legally binding in a court of law. The one who promises is bound by law to keep that promise. If I promise to give you $100.00 that I had in my pocket, that promise would do you no good unless you knew I had promised it to you. Since I am the one who promised to give you this $100.00, there is no one else you could go to, to get it, except the one who promised it!!!

The Bible is filled with “promises” that God has spoken to us, and he even has them written down so we can read and know what those promises are. When it comes to God's promises, these are NOT things we are going to get someday in the future, they things he has already given unto us in the past!!!

2Peter 1:3 According as HIS DIVINE POWER HATH GIVEN UNTO US ALL THINGS THAT PERTAIN UNTO LIFE AND GODLINESS, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

If I promised you $100.00 you can never enjoy that money until you know what I have given you, and you come to me to receive what I have already given you!!
Knowing, and believing in what God has already given to us is “everything” before we can enjoy those things.

2Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, THROUGH THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIM that hath called us to glory and virtue:

These promises, that we have already been given are only known THROUGH THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIM...!!!

2Peter 1:4 WHEREBY ARE GIVEN UNTO US EXCEEDING GREAT AND PRECIOUS PROMISES: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Everything the Lord God has already given unto us, are known only by “the knowledge of him” God wrapped them up in the form of a “promise”!!! To get a more clearer understanding of this we must read these two scriptures together.

2Pe 1:3 According as HIS DIVINE POWER HATH GIVEN UNTO US ALL THINGS THAT PERTAIN UNTO LIFE AND GODLINESS, THROUGH THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIM THAT HATH CALLED US TO GLORY AND VIRTUE:
2Pe 1:4 WHEREBY ARE GIVEN UNTO US EXCEEDING GREAT AND PRECIOUS PROMISES: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Notice in verse 3 as it says, “.....through the knowledge of him THAT HATH CALLED US TO GLORY AND VIRTUE:” God has called us to Glory. His Glory not ours. The Lord sits in all of his Glory on his throne, and this is where he has called us to!!! Not only are we called to come to his Glory, but also to “virtue”

Virtue is what gives man his worth. We are not worthy on our own, it is God who gives us his virtue that makes us to have worth!!! A man who has virtue is well pleasing to God.

Notice verse 4, “whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: THAT BY THESE YE MIGHT BE PARTAKERS OF THE DIVINE NATURE, HAVING ESCAPED THE CORRUPTION THAT IS IN THE WORLD THROUGH LUST.

We know there is NO “CORRUPTION” in the Kingdom of God where he sits in his Glory. We can not become partakers of his divine nature until we have escaped the “corruption” that is in this world!!!! The words, “”HAVING ESCAPED” means to “FLY AWAY BY FLIGHT” To fly away to where???? To exactly where God has called us to!!! His Glory, and virtue!!!!! Only when we bring our presence into his presence will we be be able to partake of his divine nature.

The only person who can cause us to enjoy what his promises have already been given unto us is God. Only the “promissor” can give to the “promissee” the things promised!!!

If there are any needs we might have, no matter what they might be, God has a “promise” to cover it. Where do we go to get these promises to enjoy fulfilled?

Heb 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Heb 4:16 LET US THEREFORE COME BOLDLY UNTO THE THRONE OF GRACE, THAT WE MAY OBTAIN MERCY, AND FIND GRACE TO HELP IN TIME OF NEED.

This is where God is sitting in all of his Glory waiting on us to come unto him for whatever we might have need of holding forth the Word of truth that gives us these things!!!

:smile: