• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Proclaiming Christ

Proclaiming Christ

"But we preach Christ crucified. . . ."
— 1 Corinthians 1:23

Today, people are standing up and being counted for many things. In fact, I am amazed at the perverse, even horrendous things people will speak up for and what some are even willing to die for. Yet here we are with the life-changing message of the gospel, and often we hide in shame or are embarrassed by what we have to say.

But it is time for us to stand up and be counted as well. Jesus said, "For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels" (Mark 8:38).

In the first century, the thought of Jesus dying on the cross was scandalous to the Jews. The Greeks, who prided themselves on their cultural and intellectual attainments, thought it was nonsense.

But the apostle Paul said, "We preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God." (1 Corinthians 1:23–24).

Are you ashamed of the simple message of the gospel? I hope you're not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, because God's righteousness is revealed in it.

You see, we have our own sense of righteousness and our own sense of what is right and wrong. But God's righteousness is a lot different than ours. It is only at the cross that the righteous requirements of the law and of God are satisfied. It is impossible to fulfill them apart from the cross.

So it is through the gospel that the righteousness of God is revealed.

Reprinted from Harvest

Good post NC, I like the way Paul preached the gospel and taught Father's will. He had a clear revelation of God's brilliant and genius plan. I am especially fond of Paul's statement to the belivers at Colosse.

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: if ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body’s sake, which is the church: whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: to whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Staff Member
Be not thou therefore ashamed 2 Tim 1:8

This has provoked such a lot of thought and prayer. It has really stirred my heart.

Ncdataman you are right. It is so easy to talk, debate and stand up for various different causes in everyday conversation. But I have to hang me head in shame because sometimes when the Lord Jesus comes into a converstion particularly at work, I go quiet, I'm suddenly shy or even embarrassed. It becomes a missed opportunity to proclaim the wonderful name of the Lord I love.

The words of a verse of lovely hymn spring to mind

Ashamed of Jesus, that dear Friend
On whom my hopes of heaven depend
No when I blush be this my shame
That I no more revere His name

God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of or Lord Jesus Christ
Gal 6:14

Julia

jskm
I feel for you, because we know what we SHOULD DO or say in these situations, but putting it into practice can be differant.
I'm not great but if someone else brings the conversation around I can get a word in, may not be much or very often, (I don't work) but I do like a Gospel conversation to come up.

I fail at being the instigator of it, as much as I want to be, I find it somewhat hard, It's not embarrasment, it's more a case of not knowing how to get it going , so i wait for others to bring it about, which is just as wrong.

Perhaps someone can come along here and give us a quick course on what to do, what can you start it off with, and a few pointers at keeping them interested.
that'll do for starters.

Here's an encouragement
God measures people by the small dimensions of humility, and not by the thickness of their achievements or the size of their capabilities. Billy Graham.

Last edited:
Staff Member
Daring to be a Daniel

Hi Maureen, thanks for sharing that. I agree a course on how to do it would be so useful!!!!

It sometimes feels like my heart screams at me to proclaim the gospel of Christ...but my courage shrinks away. This is mainly at work, where as a nurse managing a busy unit, I seem to get caught up in the current trend of political correctness, and use that as an excuse for my lack of courage.

I have been thinking about Daniel....daring to stand alone.

If God be for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31

All things are possible to him that believeth Mark 9:23

Every Blessing Julia

Julia
you can be also describing me there too sister, 'my heart screams at me to proclaim the Gospel of Christ but my courage shrinks away.'

come on brothers and sisters, someone could make a good course on here that we could do, an Evangelizing one, i've even bought a book on 'How to share your faith with your family and friends,' I haven't got around to reading it yet, perhaps i'll leave down the one I'm reading and start it, if I get any usefull ideas from it Julia I'll post them.

I'll start a new thread about it and see if any want to take up the post as teacher to us eh?

Isn't it a horrible state to be in though?
I can so relate to you, I love the Lord Jesus with my whole being and my unsaved husband and family all know it I'm sure your the same, but those times when we know we could speak up for Him, we don't.

I am not a secret disciple and I'm sure you are not either, but would love to hear those words spoken 'take courage'

What can we do?

Ok Julie
Did it, put a new thread on, in Bible Study, if its wrongly placed it will be moved.

Now we wait to see if we get a teacher.

Do you think (between you and me) that you'll be able to carry out whatever it is we are told to do?
cause that still doesn't supply the courage needed, that's only my thinking I hope I'm very wrong.

I don't know what your like in your church meetings, but when it was our prayer meeting I trembled in case I were asked to pray audibly.
I have never conquered that yet, but I go to the Brethren church now and women do not speak audibly which suits me.

I took the pulpit when my Dad died, I spoke words laid on my heart at his funeral, but it was definatly Holy Spirit inspired it was not off myself, as I know I couldn't do that, I was pleased as it spoke to my family although none were saved from it but at least I was glad I could do something for Jesus.

I am really happy that this thread has stirred the hearts of a few people, thanks for reading everyone!

IN Christ,

NC

Staff Member
Proclaiming Christ...help me to do it !

Maureen, thanks for your posts, lets hope your new thread gets loads of useful "tips". Yes you sound like a lot of your thoughts reflect mine on this subject! (I too am in a brethren assembly where women remain silent).

Ive been thinking about my difficulties with "Proclaiming Christ" throughout today... and wondering why I sometimes freeze up at the point of opportunity. Then it came to me

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me... Phillipians 4:13

When I loose courage I'm doubting the Lord's ability to strengthen me. I'm not fully leaning on the Everlasting Arms. So I am going to make a conscious effort to trust that the Lord will help me through this stumbling block even if it takes time.

Wait on the Lord: be of good courage and he shall strengthen thy heart.. Psalm 27:14

I will be praying for you.

Julia

Julie,
I was given that verse by a Pastor one time when we were doing this course thing in his church (not Brethren) fancy you belonging to there also, it was my Dad I began going with, my husband takes his place every Sunday night. Well wasn't long after it we all left, that course I mean, we couldn't do it, no-one could stand up and speak about all they wanted us too, so that ended that.

There are nice words from Trish in answer to that thread I started for us, in 'Interested in Teaching' is the title in the Bible Study section.

Don't know if anyone is keen to take us on, we'll see.

Yes thanks to you NcDataman too, has brought out some needy points.

Last edited: