• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Problem with forgiveness

There is someone I had a nasty 'road rage' encounter with about 6 years ago. I won't go in to the details but to this day I get angry when I think of his actions and no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to forgive him. I've asked Big J (apologies if that term offends anyone, it's my own way of referring to Jesus) for the grace to forgive but it's as if something's missing.

I certainly don't want to hold this petty grudge for the rest of my life but how can I forgive someone I don't seem to want to forgive?

Hi Miladdo, Forgiveness is not optional for us - it is a necessity. Mark 11:26 " But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.” Here is something that worked for me when I had a problem forgiving someone. Start one day by telling the Lord that you forgive the person, then do this daily and soon you will find that you really do mean it. I thought I would never be able to forgive this person, and the relief when I finally could was enormous. Hope you'll give this a try. :love:

I tried this once, and I almost missed it, because it sounded so odd to me at the time. A preacher once said to "ask Jesus to forgive you for the bitterness in your heart for what others have done to you". This led to a spiritual cleansing of immeasurable magnitude for me. Remember that repentance is a granted benefit the Lord...we just simply ask Him to come into the "heart" of the matter. Acts 11:18 When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, "Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life." ...Amen!

OK thanks both.

The thing is I've tried to tell myself I forgive him but it's always felt as if I'm telling myself it's not raining while I'm standing there getting wet.

Unfortunately all my life I've been the type to hold grudges :(

Let go of him- let God. --- who's suffering & in Christ why shouldn't you.
He's a chain round your ankle until you forgive him as Christ forgave you.

Don't just try to forgive the person. Decide you want to do it and honestly before God tell Him you want to forgive him. Then believe God will help you to forgive. Forgiveness is a choice we make. Don't forget as I quoted in my last post Mark 11:26 that if you don't forgive others, God will not forgive you. That's how important forgiveness is.

Sometimes.....

Sometimes.....You might have forgiven someome but you don't understand the strang and sick feeling you have in your gut when you see that person. It takes awhile to shake off that FEELING but it isn't always caused by unforgiveness even though it seems so. It maybe distrust. You can forgive a murderer but you don't have to trust him or her with your life or someone elses.

Who had the rosd rage you or the other person or both?

I myself was resently victimize by someone else's road rage and that person acts as though it was my fault. I merely passed the person on the road because they were going way to slow but while I was pasing them they desided to speed up and race me and created a hazart to everyone including themself. I actually see that person quit often and they continue on with trying to antagonize me but though I know they were wrong and still are I'm not promoting a conflict that they are.

I have already forgiven that person even though they are trying to spread rumors and hatred for me. I continue to bless them and trust in God to do what is needed and I KNOW he will. He has done it so many many times before. I even pray for them to follow the LORD's ways.

Miladdo said:
There is someone I had a nasty 'road rage' encounter with about 6 years ago. I won't go in to the details but to this day I get angry when I think of his actions and no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to forgive him. I've asked Big J (apologies if that term offends anyone, it's my own way of referring to Jesus) for the grace to forgive but it's as if something's missing.

I certainly don't want to hold this petty grudge for the rest of my life but how can I forgive someone I don't seem to want to forgive?