• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Power of His might

(Eph. 6:10) " Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might ".

Finally: This comes at the end of the letter where Paul has carefully established our place in Jesus, and then the basics of the Christian walk. This is his last section dealing with that walk.

In light of all that God has done for you.
In light of the glorious standing you have as a child of God.
In light of His great plan of the ages that God has made you part of.
In light of the plan for Christian maturity and growth He gives to you.
In light of the conduct God calls every believer to live.
In light of the filling of the Spirit and our walk in the Spirit.
In light of all this, there is a battle to fight in the Christian life.

Literally, Paul wrote strengthen yourselves in the Lord. He probably took the idea from 1 Samuel 30:6, where it is said that David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.

The detailed teaching of spiritual warfare in this passage presents two essential components.

First, you must be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.

Then, you must put on the whole armor of God. The two are essential, and much teaching on Christian combat neglects the first. If you take a weak man who can barely stand, and put the best armor on him he will still be an ineffective soldier. He will be easily beaten. So equipping for Christian combat must begin with be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.

And in the power of His might: This shows how to get this strength. This does not happen just by saying the words. It is not an incantation or a spell. You can’t just walk around saying, “be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might” over and over and it will happen. Christianity isn’t one of those self-help formulas where you go around saying, “Every day, and in every way, I am getting better and better.” Those kind of mental games can accomplish something, but it certainly wasn’t what Paul meant here.

Might is inherent power or force. A muscular man’s big muscles display his might, even if he doesn’t use them. It is the reserve of strength.

Power is the exercise of might. When the muscular man uses his might to bend an iron bar, he uses his power. It means that the reserve of strength is actually in operation.

God has vast reservoirs of might that can be realized as power in our Christian life. But His might does not work in us as we sit passively. His might works in us as we rely on it, and step out to do the work. We can rely on it and do no work. We can do work without relying on it. But both of these fall short. We must rely on His might and then do the work.

It is not:
I do everything and God does nothing.
I do nothing and God does everything.
I do all I can and God helps with what I can’t.

Each of those approaches falls short. The key is for us to, by faith, rely on His might - and rely on it more and more - and then do the work.

Here are some ways we waste our strength.

Committing to too many spiritual works or things·
Too much conversation
Arguments, debates, wrangling
Laziness
Too much time in the wrong company
Too much foolish talk and joking
Love of money and career
A desire for respectability and image
An unequal yoking with an unbeliever
Ungodly entertainment
A wrong attitude toward or doubting the Word of God

Lord, we need Your strength in our daily lives. Teach us your ways so that we can walk in the power of Your might.
In Jesus name, Amen.

This is a good article. Lists and definitions which I need.
And all in all good read, edifying.

Last edited: