• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Pets at home help children with autism socially.

Active
Children with Autism social skills strengthen with pets.
By Rizen1
01/04/2015

From my experience with children with autism, the greatest concern was finding techniques to improve or encourage social skills. Socialization is the key ingredient in teaching those within our society appropriate behaviors. We accomplish this every day, through various interactions using diverse modes of communication.

In a recent study Dr. Gretchen Carlisle stated, "Kids with autism don't always readily engage with others…but if there's a pet in the home that the child is bonded with and a visitor starts asking about the pet, the child may be more likely to respond (Paddock)”. Although this is not new information, I’m encouraged and compelled to always share updates on Autism research, with my friends and family.

I can confirm this study to be true after observing Jane doe socially when we visited petting zoos. She’s more talkative and would make more eye contact with those around her more than usual.

There’s still confusion as to what is Autism. I challenge you to please take the time to learn more about it, and ways you can be supportive to families you may know.

Defining Autism, “Autism is a spectrum disorder, meaning that there is a wide degree of variation in the way it affects people. Every child on the autism spectrum has unique abilities, symptoms, and challenges….Every individual on the autism spectrum has problems to some degree with social skills, empathy, communication, and flexible behavior. But the level of disability and the combination of symptoms varies tremendously from person to person (Smith)”.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Resources
Paddock, Catharine. "Living with Pets Linked to Stronger Social Skills in Children with Autism." Medical News Today. Web. 5 Jan. 2015.

Smith, Melinda. "Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Parent’s Guide to Symptoms and Diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum." Helpguide.org. Nov. 2014. Web. 5 Jan. 2015.

Additional Resources;
Home | Autism Speaks