• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Our Captain.

Active
The following was part of my devotion studies this morning. Since it spoke to my heart/spirit with a great amount of truth, I thought someone else might like it....This devotion comes from "e-Sword" and is written by F.B. Meyer.

OUR CAPTAIN
"For it became Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sorts unto glory, to make the author (or Captain) of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For both He that sanctifieth and they that are sanctified are all of one: for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren.'-- Heb_2:10-11.

THE WORD translated in this passage "Author" or "Captain" might be rendered File-leader. It was thus used by Peter when he said, "Ye killed the Prince, i.e. the File-leader of life." Our Lord is beheld stepping up from the grave in Joseph's garden, to which, apparently, the hatred of His foes had brought Him; and as He passes forth, He is discovered to be the First, or Leader, of an endless procession, which, in single file, is ever ascending from the grave to stand with Him, and to follow Him through all the subsequent ages.
In the earlier part of that great procession, we can see the glorious company of the Apostles, behind them the goodly fellowship of prophets and the noble army of martyrs. Polycarp and Ignatius are there, Chrysostom and Augustine, Luther and Calvin, Wesley and Spurgeon. Our ancestors follow, and our parents. We are there, and our children will follow. We follow Christ our Captain through Gethsemane to Calvary, through death to life, through the grave to the Ascension mount.
When Isaiah anticipated Christ's advent, he said that God had given Him to be a Leader and Commander to the people (Isa_55:4). He has the pre-eminence, not only because of His original glory, as Son of God, but since He has won it in His obedience as Man. Never has the will of God been wrought out so perfectly as by our Lord; and in this we are called upon to obey and follow Him. He was made perfect through sufferings, so shall we be; and as He is now crowned with glory and honour, so shall we be.
The only way in which Christ could bring us to share in His glory was to submit to suffering and death. In no other way could He act as the Mediator of the Divine life to us who are His brethren. Similarly, if we would become the mediators of help and blessing to others, we also must be prepared to suffer. We must learn to do despite to our own will and way. The way of the Cross is the only path to the Throne. We can only reach our highest by the constant saying No to self-life. This will involve suffering and pain; but only so can we follow our Captain.

PRAYER
Teach us, O Lord, not only to bear, but to love Thy Cross. As we take and carry it, may we find that it is carrying us. AMEN.

Lets remember, "The way of the Cross is the only path to the Throne." (Meyer)

The way of the cross is the only way to the New Jerusalem. (me) See you there :wave2

Active
"Though He were a Son, yet learned He obedience by the things which He suffered." (Hebrews 5:8)

As for "author" [for me anyway] it means: one who produces, creates, or brings into being; also one who causes to increase or cause to enlarge.
As for "captain" [for me anyway] it means: a head or chief.

Loyal
Both good points. The thing about a captain.. (or a Lord, or a King, etc... )
You have to willingly submit to them. Obey them, follow orders, etc... otherwise it's insubordination, treason, or rebellion.

God doesn't force us to follow Him. He wants those who choose to themselves.
God wants all to be saved... but some are simply "unwilling". ( Lev 26:21; Matt 22:3; Matt 23:37; John 5:40; Acts 7:39; etc... )

Loyal
The only way in which Christ could bring us to share in His glory was to submit to suffering and death. In no other way could He act as the Mediator of the Divine life to us who are His brethren. Similarly, if we would become the mediators of help and blessing to others, we also must be prepared to suffer. We must learn to do despite to our own will and way. The way of the Cross is the only path to the Throne. We can only reach our highest by the constant saying No to self-life. This will involve suffering and pain; but only so can we follow our Captain.

Amen! I can attest to this. Thank you @Chopper for sharing this message.