• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Once saved always saved?

Active
I was told by a coworker that he's saved. Ok great grand wonderful

Then I asked what he's been reading & what his favorite scripture is so far... His reply was - - - - 'I don't read the Bible much anymore now that I'm saved you know so, once saved always saved'

This was my response o_O

Loyal
That’s one thing I just cannot understand, how can a person become a new creature “born from above” spiritual being and hardly feed on the Bible {bread of life}. I became I new creature in 1977, I t might of been a few time I might of miss a few meals of feasting on the Bible , but always either listen to scripture or read. Or snack , I have fasted from it sometimes because I was sick I couldn’t read. But I remember a lot of scripture in my mind and it would be running through me as blood runs through my veins. Sermons are not going to get It got to have Scripture. I have so many bibles,? Worn out a lot too!! A lot of versions. I guess just a habit. There have been days I would say I not reading that Bible today, don’t nobody else read it, before I know it i got one in my hand. I forgot what I had even said.

Loyal
Possibly the most challenging and troubling of Jesus' words...

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
Matthew 7:21-23

Loyal
OSAS -- once the Holy Spirit does indwell a person , He never leaves us. BUT -- the indwelling Of the Holy Spirit Also Does give a person New desires and if Those can't be seen by others, then someone needs to loving take the person aside and share their concern.

There Will be the fruits of the Spirit seen in the person.

Active
There are many saved people who have learning disabilities that don't understand the bible, but attend church regularly. I'm never "preachy" with anyone because I do not know their situation; when a question is asked I try to explain in simple terms.. There are many questions in Sunday school studies from adults who don't understand or can't understand and it has to be explained verbally. Yes, Once Saved Always Saved is true of those born of the spirit.

Loyal
Well -- attending church regularly isn't going to assure Anyone of salvation. But I do understand what you're saying.

The learning disabilities 'thing'. Depends on what is considered to Be a learning disability. Possibly dislexia? I've known people with that reading situation. My niece had to have everything read to her -- even through 4 years of college.
No problem with her understanding salvation.

If you're talking about mental disabilities. A person Has to be able to understand right from wrong in order To realize their own personal need For salvation. When a person Can't relate to their own sinfulness -- they are under God's grace. But they need to be worked with as much as possible.

No one should be trying to talk someone Into salvation. But, over time, a person Can tell what is being understood and what Isn't. If a person shows a hostile reaction To -- then that's one thing -- if they are showing a positive reaction , that's Another thing.

And there are churches who have Shephard's Classes -- special for mentally handicapped people. That is their gift -- helping mentally handicapped people.

Active
Hello Sue,
"No one should be trying to talk someone Into salvation"

I never said anything about teaching salvation. These are saved adults with ADD and other disabilities wanting the knowledge of Christ they serve, but can only understand verbally, even tho' they can read.

Loyal
Hello Sue,
"No one should be trying to talk someone Into salvation"

I never said anything about teaching salvation. These are saved adults with ADD and other disabilities wanting the knowledge of Christ they serve, but can only understand verbally, even tho' they can read.
That is so true, a lot of our “ brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus are “ mentally challenged” but they are true children of God! And disabled, have you ever just took one, and warp your arms around one and feel the love of God running through you, and the look of their eyes and when they look back at, you, you can sense the amazement. In their eyes.

Loyal
Why Shouldn't 'we' be teaching salvation to everyone -- maybe taking time to reinforce from time to time. Maybe included in that class could be how to reach out to Others, themselves.

I'm trying to respond to both posts at the same time.

Loyal
OSAS -- absolutely. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit Does make a positive change in a person.

Active
I teach scripture,

Romans 10:17 - So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

John 6:44 - No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Loyal
Once we receive the “Holy Spirit” the light comes on to see our way. Before then we were not following “Holy Scripture “. We were not on the path! How could we, we were blind! To get saved were we walking in holiness living a sanctified life, then we got saved. NO! So now we have the “Holy Spirit”. What is it for? What does it mean to have it, what is it’s mission in us? What says the Bible, what is its job in us, and I am not talking about gifts of the Spirit at this time, that is another book. If it is guiding you, Guiding you Where?
A Hint: “Pilgrims Progress”. Maybe:innocent: So are you saved? Or being saved Or are you hoping to be saved? “Faith is the substance of things “HOPE” for, the evidence of things not seen”! Which camp do you belong too? The Faith one?
King James Version
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me (John 5:39).
Just food for thought. Just something to keep us near the cross❤️

Loyal
Salvation is forever.

1Jn 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.

something we all need to remember

Bless you ....><>
What are you trying to insinuate? That I really don't love Christ? But I do. I just have my own flaws and weaknesses. Just like you. I'm a sinner just like you. You wouldn't like it if I accused you of not really being saved. But I'd say it directly to your face instead of passive aggressive like you. It's funny. This situation reminds me of the strong disagreement of Peter and Paul.

You know. I really love the LORD and I know he loves me. He saved my soul and my life. I don't really need this place. The members here think I'm so horrible. But before I go let me say this...

You're all sinners. My sins are no worse than your sins. But we are all equally loved and saved by Jesus holy Christ our LORD. I'd never say any of you are not saved. Like you accuse me of. What I did to my wife wasn't the worst thing a human could do. I'm no China Arnold okay. Judge yourselves before you judge me. Good bye. Hypocrites.

Loyal
What are you trying to insinuate? That I really don't love Christ? But I do. I just have my own flaws and weaknesses. Just like you. I'm a sinner just like you. You wouldn't like it if I accused you of not really being saved. But I'd say it directly to your face instead of passive aggressive like you. It's funny. This situation reminds me of the strong disagreement of Peter and Paul.
I do not think Brother Bear was insinuating anything bad to you. He was simply saying we all need to remember not everyone who says Lord Lord shall enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but he that does the will of God. Brother Bear was agreeing with you, not against you!