• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Old testament prophecies of Jesus

Loyal
I know we've done this before here on TJ, but it's been a while.
I'll start off with a couple of obvious easy ones here....

Isa 7:13; Then he said, “Listen now, O house of David! Is it too slight a thing for you to try the patience of men, that you will try the patience of my God as well?
Isa 7:14; Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.
Isa 7:15; He will eat curds and honey [n]at the time He knows enough to refuse evil and choose good.
Isa 7:16; For before the boy will know enough to refuse evil and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread will be forsaken.

Of course there is only one place in the Bible where a virgin actually has a child.
His name is called Immanuel in Matt 1:23;

=========================================================================================

.. to be continued ...

Loyal
Isa 53:1; Who has believed our message? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
Isa 53:2; For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground;
He has no stately form or majesty That we should look upon Him, Nor appearance that we should be
attracted to Him.
Isa 53:3; He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief;
And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
Isa 53:4; Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried;
Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5; But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities;
The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.
Isa 53:6; All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way;
But the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all To fall on Him.
Isa 53:7; He was oppressed and He was afflicted, Yet He did not open His mouth;
Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers,
So He did not open His mouth.
Isa 53:8; By oppression and judgment He was taken away; And as for His generation, who considered
That He was cut off out of the land of the living For the transgression of my people, to whom the stroke
was due?

Isa 53:9; His grave was assigned with wicked men, Yet He was with a rich man in His death,
Because He had done no violence, Nor was there any deceit in His mouth.
Isa 53:10; But the Lord was pleased To crush Him, putting Him to grief;
If He would render Himself as a guilt offering,
He will see His offspring, He will prolong His days,
And the good pleasure of the Lord will prosper in His hand.
Isa 53:11; As a result of the anguish of His soul, He will see it and be satisfied;
By His knowledge the Righteous One, My Servant, will justify the many,
As He will bear their iniquities.

Isa 53:12; Therefore, I will allot Him a portion with the great, And He will divide the booty with the strong;
Because He poured out Himself to death, And was numbered with the transgressors;
Yet He Himself bore the sin of many, And interceded for the transgressors.

Wow.... what an amazing prophecy. Is there anyone else besides Jesus in the Bible this could be about?

=========================================================================================

... to be continued ...

Loyal
Psalms 2:7; “I will surely tell of the decree of the Lord:
He said to Me, ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.
Psalms 2:8; ‘Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance,
And the very ends of the earth as Your possession.
Psalms 2:9; ‘You shall break them with a rod of iron, You shall shatter them like earthenware.’”
Psalms 2:10; Now therefore, O kings, show discernment; Take warning, O judges of the earth.
Psalms 2:11; Worship the Lord with reverence And rejoice with trembling.
Psalms 2:12; Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish in the way,
For His wrath may soon be kindled. How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!

... to be continued ...

Loyal
Psalms 22:16; For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me;
They pierced my hands and my feet.
Psalms 22:17 I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me;
Psalms 22:18; They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots.

Micah 5:2; But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Too little to be among the clans of Judah,
From you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel. His goings forth are from long ago,
From the days of eternity.”

Loyal
Prophesy of Jesus' birth

He will be of the offspring of the woman, shall bruise the serpent’s head

Old Testament Reference:

Genesis 3:14, 15 So the Lord God said to the serpent… “And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”

New Testament Fulfilment

Galatians 4:4 But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law.

Hebrews 2:14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death… that is, the devil.

1 John 3:8 He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.

Loyal
Prophesy of Jesus' birth

All nations shall be blessed through Abraham

Old Testament Reference:

Genesis 18:17, 18 Then the Lord said… “Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him.”

See also
Genesis 12:3; 22:18; 26:4; 28:14

New Testament Fulfilment

Acts 3:25, 26 “… He said to Abraham, ‘Through your offspring all peoples on earth will be blessed.’ When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you…”

See also
Matthew 1:1, 17; Galatians 3:16

Loyal
Prophesy of Jesus' birth

Be of the tribe of Judah

Old Testament Reference:

Genesis 49:8-10 “Judah, your brothers will praise you… The sceptre will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, until he comes to whom it belongs and the obedience of the nations is his.”

Micah 5:2 “But you, Bethlehem Ephratah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.”

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 1:1-3 A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham… Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, Judah the father of Perez and Zerah.

Hebrews 7:14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah…

Revelation 5:5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

Loyal
Prophesy of Jesus' birth

Be born in the town of Bethlehem of Judea (Judah)

Old Testament Reference:

Micah 5:2-5 “But you, Bethlehem Ephratah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.”…

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 2:1-6 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews?…”

Loyal
Prophesy of Jesus' birth

A child to be born

Old Testament Reference:

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born… he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God…

New Testament Fulfilment

Luke 2:11 Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.

Loyal
Prophesy of Jesus' birth

Be born of a virgin.

Old Testament Reference:

Isaiah 7:13, 14 Then Isaiah said, “Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of men? Will you try the patience of my God also? Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel (God with us).”

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 1:18-23… His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit.

Luke 1:26-35… God sent the angel… to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary….

There are many more, some may have already been included by B-A-C :thumbsup:, I will try add some more daily.

Staff Member
To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
Psalms 22:1

=>

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Matthew 27:46

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Mark 15:34

Staff Member
I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
Psalms 22:22

=>

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Hebrews 2:9-13

Staff Member
Psalms 22:18; They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots.

They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
Psalms 22:18

=>

Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.
John 19:23-24

Loyal
Continuing with.....

Prophesy of Jesus' birth

Kings shall bring him gifts, fall down before him

Old Testament Reference:

Psalm 72:10, 11 The kings of Tarshish and of distant shores will bring tribute to him; the kings of Sheba and Seba will present him gifts. All kings will bow down to him and all nations will serve him.

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 2:1-11 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem… On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshipped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.

Loyal
Prophesy of Jesus' birth

Be born of the seed of Isaac

Old Testament Reference:

Genesis 17:19; 21:12; 26:2-4

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 1:2, 17; Romans 9:7; Hebrews 11:17-19

Be of the seed of Jacob; a star out of Jacob

Old Testament Reference:

Genesis 28:13, 14; Numbers 24:17, 19

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 1:2; Luke 1:33; 3:23-38

Be a firstborn son, sanctified

Old Testament Reference:

Exodus 13:2; Numbers 3:13; 8:17

New Testament Fulfilment

Luke 2:7, 23

Be a rod out of the stem of Jesse

Old Testament Reference:

Isaiah 11:1, 2

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 1:6; Acts 13:22, 23

Massacre of children

Old Testament Reference:

Jeremiah 31:15

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 2:16-18

Have eternal existence

Old Testament Reference:

Micah 5:2

New Testament Fulfilment

John 1:1, 4; 8:58; Colossians 1:15-19

This concludes the ones I have noted for prophesies of Jesus' Birth.

I will look for notes on his ministry and death and resurrection shortly.

Loyal
Prophesy of Jesus' Life and Ministry

He will be called out of Egypt

Old Testament Reference:

Hosea 11:1 “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son….”

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 2:13-15, 19-21… So he… took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt

Loyal

He will be rejected by his brethren

Old Testament Reference:

Psalm 69:8 I am a stranger to my brothers, an alien to my own mother’s sons

New Testament Fulfilment

John 7:3-5 Jesus’ brothers said to him, “You ought to leave here… so that your disciples may see the miracles you do….” For even his own brothers did not believe in him.

Loyal

He will be rejected as capstone

Old Testament Reference:

Psalm 118:22, 23 The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvellous in our eyes.

New Testament Fulfilment

Matthew 21:42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone…”