• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Old Fashion Hymns ?

Any one enjoy the old fashion hymns ? My favorite has always been [ How Great Thou Art ] Does anyone else like hymns , or am I out of date ? :love: :boy_hug: Brother Mike

My favorite is Amazing Grace, I especially like the lyrics. I like to sing amazing grace to other tunes like house of the rising sun or the old coca-cola melody. I have heard some people are against doing that sort of thing,like it is in some way being erreverent. A friend of mine that is very gifted with musical ability states that there are 150 psalms (songs) in the bible and not the first musical note to go with them. So I think the lyrics are what is really important and there are some very deep spiritual lyrics in some of the old hymns and you can tell that the writer had a real experience and relationship with Christ.

hi my faviroite hymns are 'And can It be' which is (216) in the Hymns and Pslams (H+P)books. also this one seems to be our chuches favorite as it tends to lift everyones spirit. 'My faith it is an oken staff' (682) is another favorite, but in H+P they have shortend it down to two verses. In the Old Metodist Hymn book its much loger. I hate it when they do that

no your not old fashioned

hi i love hymns my church only sings hymns i love "the old rugged cross" and "it is well" your not old fashioned at all hymns are our church worship songs

I really like "it is well" also. very moving lyrics about life as a diciple of Christ. good choice

I have heard that many of the old hymns were new lyrics put to the music of old bar room melodies. I might investigate that in the near future and see if it is true. I will let y'all know what I find out.

I love the old , [ I do not mean to be offensive here but I can't say it any other way ] negro spiritualls . The unified worship with these songs carried the civil rights movement through some terrible ungodly times in our nation ! I wonder if christians today could humble themselves in love like Dr. King , and the civil rights christians did in the sixties . What an awsome display of endurance , and humility ! Unified worship is very powerfull . Mike :love:

My children love "In the Garden" ( I think it is called) my mom their "grannie" sings it to them and rocks them to sleep. While I am unsure of alot of names of songs I really enjoy most forms of worship music. Yesterday at church we sang "it is well" and that is the first time I sang it and my prayer is that when I am faced with trials I will be as strong in my faith as the writer of that song . GOd Bless you all!

What is the definition of a hymm? when asked what the difference to a hymm and a worship song i was stumped... can anyone help?

hmmmmm

a favourite hymn, well it has to be 'abide with me' i am always moved whenever i read the lyrics let alone hear and sing the hymn.

a hymn in 'hymns old and new' which has a special place in my heart and life is 'o God of earth and altar' just hoping to hear it in church at some point, only been waiting 18yrs, so..........

God bless

scrappy

scrappy said:
hmmmmm
a favourite hymn, well it has to be 'abide with me' i am always moved whenever i read the lyrics let alone hear and sing the hymn.
a hymn in 'hymns old and new' which has a special place in my heart and life is 'o God of earth and altar' just hoping to hear it in church at some point, only been waiting 18yrs, so..........
God bless
scrappy

I like the music the Gaithers sing it's familiar songs even to someone like me for the most part and there's such spirit there.
Alan Jackson recently did a gospel cd which was good as well.

"How Great Thou Art" is one of my favorites. Also, "I Love To Tell the Story"

I go to the contemporary service on Sunday (the second service) and although I enjoy it, I'm thinking about getting up early for a change, so that I can go to the first service (traditional service), and hear the good hymns that I'm missing. I prefer a mix of contemporary and the old hymns, if the truth be known.

Any one enjoy the old fashion hymns ? My favorite has always been [ How Great Thou Art ] Does anyone else like hymns , or am I out of date ? :love: :boy_hug: Brother Mike

'Old Fashioned Hymns'?

Dear Lord such are more up to-date/relevant than to-morrow's news-paper..

I attended a funeral celebration today of a precious saint on God.

It was a joy to open my mouth to sing 'How Great Thou Art', "And when I think that God His Son not sparing......wow. and also...And can it be?........that I should gain an interest in the Saviours blood? Died He died for me who caused His pain.....for me who Him to death pursued? etc.

It was a joy to lift my voice. In the songs of faith in Jesus. Many today have never met the Master......and such songs appear 'old fashioned'

Meet Jesus I cry.........The message of the cross, the saving Grace of the Gospel will never be 'old fashioned' Until it be too late ....

Lucifer's musical instruments were built into his body

What is the definition of a hymm? when asked what the difference to a hymm and a worship song i was stumped... can anyone help?
hymn: a song or ode in praise or honor of God, a deity, a nation, etc.

*Sing and praise the Lord, "...speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, making melody to the Lord in your heart..." (Eph. 5:19 KJV).

"teaching and admonishing one another in... hymns" (Col. 3:16 KJV).

"And when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD sent ambushments against... the enemies" (2 Chron. 20:22-27 KJV).

*Memorize the old hymns out of hymnals like Great Hymns of the Faith (Singspiration, published by Zondervan). These hymns, from AD 800-1900, contain the cognitive tools and messages which make memorization possible and conviction and blessing certain:

- They have a metrical framework, accented syllabication at mathematically predictable intervals: isochronus rhythms, iambic pentameter, etc.

- They have rhyme. Commercial jingles use this tool because they know that it increases memorability. "You deserve a break today, So get up and get away..." Pediatrician Dr. James Sightler has noted that he has never met a child who did not learn the alphabet using the 'alphabet song.'

Contemporary Christian music has few if any of the above features. This is why churches must use overhead transparencies. Members cannot memorize them and consequently will not be able to sing them to themselves during the week. New 'crossover' songs substitute "you" for God, Jesus, Thee.

Modern music substitutes sensory stimulation through the use of amplification, beat, and reverberation. They set the room's air molecules into resonance, which in turn set the molecules in the wood pews into resonance, which in turn set that part of the occupant's anatomy which interfaces with the wood into resonance. (Rock concert acoustics designers have refined these facts of physical acoustics into an art.) The next time you attend a Christian 'concert' or visit a 'contemporary' church, put your foot on the seat in front of yours; if you can feel the music through your shoe, the sound man is trying to make up in electronic speaker 'amplification' what old saints used to produce with their heartfelt "singing with loud instruments" (2 Chron. 30:21 KJV).

Mine would have to be IN THE GARDEN...what a wonderful thought ,walking and talking with the Lord in such a place..And He walks with me and He talks with me and He tells me i am his own !....what peace that brings to my mind with that kind of reassurance..Rev

Staff Member
I love so many hymns especially the old ones....I could list so many

This hymn by Isaac Watts touches me powerfully.....
O Jesus.....You went through all this all this and for me

Alas! and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I

Thy body slain, sweet Jesus, Thine
And bathed in its own blood
While the firm mark of wrath divine,
His Soul in anguish stood.

Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
For man the creature’s sin.

Thus might I hide my blushing face
While His dear cross appears,
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt my eyes to tears.

But drops of grief can ne’er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give my self away
’Tis all that I can do.

Last edited:
Staff Member
...him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out.
John 6:37

What love....what mercy.....what grace!
I am amazed.....Jesus accepts us.....Just as we are.
This beautiful hymn fills me with the wonder and reassurance of His love.

Just As I Am by Brian Doerksen with Lyrics - YouTube

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,