• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Obsession verse Idol worship ?

Loyal
I know I have been guilty of obsession over many hobbies over the years,adn as I look back I wonder if that is not a form of idol worship, that I did not even realize at the time.

What does Idol worship look like in the real world of today?

I know the general thought is idol worship is something like a gold calf you put on a alter and pray to it, but is that really the case in today's society what idol worship looks like?

I know what obsession looks like I think it can be the same as idol worship and people do not even realize it. What I believe obsession looks like is

1. Spend all money on that hobby/ obsession
2. Spend more money on the hobby then on God
3. All thoughts go to the hobby and not God
4. all free time goes to hobby / obsession /idol worship not GOd

Jesus spoke of money in the bible quite often, I think we can look at the way we use our money as a good barometer on our spiritual health. Do we invest more in hobbies earthly pleasure then in eternal treasures? we can not take our money to heaven when we die, but we can send it ahead now by investing in Gods kingdom now while on earth. If you think about it God allows us to use his money here on earth to build up treasures for eternity that will last forever.

Matthew 6:19-21
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Luke 12:33-34
Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

Malachi 3:10
Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need

Colossians 3:2
Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

Lord forgive me for the obsessions I have had in my life and protect me from falling prey to them ever again in Jesus name I pray.

Loyal
I know I have been guilty of obsession over many hobbies over the years,adn as I look back I wonder if that is not a form of idol worship, that I did not even realize at the time.

I know the general thought is idol worship is something like a gold calf you put on a alter and pray to it, but is that really the case in today's society what idol worship looks like?

I know what obsession looks like I think it can be the same as idol worship and people do not even realize it. What I believe obsession looks like is

Jesus spoke of money in the bible quite often, I think we can look at the way we use our money as a good barometer on our spiritual health. Do we invest more in hobbies earthly pleasure then in eternal treasures? we can not take our money to heaven when we die, but we can send it ahead now by investing in Gods kingdom now while on earth. If you think about it God allows us to use his money here on earth to build up treasures for eternity that will last forever.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need

Lord forgive me for the obsessions I have had in my life and protect me from falling prey to them ever again in Jesus name I pray.
Amen and Amen.

I went through a period where my playstations began to get more time.
I only have Gran Turismo 2, 3 and 4.
I still Enjoy building and Racing all those cars.

It was not the game or the fact that i would race for hours.

It was when the enemy started bringing on the pressure and causing frustration in other things that i made a bad choice.
I traded Word time for racing time.
I traded time with God when I desperately needed it for racing.

I was duped into thinking satan was trying to steal something I enjoyed and yes I have let him do that before.
So being the Godly man I am, lol I proceeded to prove the enemy wrong.
You ain't stealing my fun. So far nothing off. Hmmm?

More pressure brought forth more racing and so forth.
Then my lightening fast brain saw it. Thank God!!

The racing went to the closet and the word was coming in big time. Ran him out and still to this day - I won't let anything get too much time and if I start to , I have no problem hearing the Holy Spirit letting me know I about to do it again.

It's amazing how easy it can be from time to time.

Wonderful Thread Dave!
Blessings to you

Loyal

I know in my Life I depend on God For Everything.
I have had boo coo dollars and I have had none and dug in dumpsters for returnable bottles and cans.

The majority of what I owned came from the trash.
I knew the only way out was God's Way. His system of doing things.

So we tithed off every dime and began doubling that so i gave 20 percent from every bag of bottles I turned in.

We took clothes and washed them and gave them to a group of homeless guys that crossed our path daily. Bought them food and shared meals . I would get what we needed from the store that night and give them the rest of the money. A few times then we just bought what they needed more then a buzz.

This went on for years. The devil did not break us and God met our needs in some of the most crazy awesome ways. Even bank payments I had back then.

BELIEVE me I will not ever forget where God brought me from no matter how well off my life gets.

When God prospers His People financially - believe me you will be tested in the little and in your Faith.
You will grow unto the person He can count on to give when and where He says.

With that note...... you won't ever be without and always have more then enough for yourself and having a blast blessings others. When God gets giving into your spirit you begin to run to look for ways to give and of course always listening for directions as well.

Wow sorry Dave , I did not intend to write all that.
Blessings to you

Loyal
Jim

I loved what you shared and thank you !! and agree 1000% giving is one of the greatest joys we can experience. it is also a good barometer of our spiritual health IMO

the thing about money is we can not take it with us, but we can send it ahead by doing good with it now.

We can not out give God that is for sure !!

ps

I am reading the book sound doctrine by Torben great book, he is the guy from the video you posted I am sure you know that :)

Loyal
Jim

I loved what you shared and thank you !! and agree 1000% giving is one of the greatest joys we can experience. it is also a good barometer of our spiritual health IMO

the thing about money is we can not take it with us, but we can send it ahead by doing good with it now.

We can not out give God that is for sure !!

ps

I am reading the book sound doctrine by Torben great book, he is the guy from the video you posted I am sure you know that :)

Thank You Dave,
After the post above, I may just dust off the old PS and do some laps this weekend. Lol

I agree its better then any drug, that feeling when God allows you to bring (give) an answer to some ones prayers.

I have not read that book yet.
I was given a book called hearing from Heaven. It totally got my attention and is opening my eyes to some things.

Even though some put down on the author, I still felt led to read it. I am so glad I did. Its written by Gloria Copeland. If this is the kind of stuff folks put down, they don't know God.

As Far as Spiritual Food Goes, I learned a long time ago, Let the Father CHOOSE!! I EAT BETTER that way. ;)
Blessings

Loyal
Mark 12:30; AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.'

also see Luke 10:27;

This is sometimes a tough one. I love my wife. I love my dog. I love my truck. I love my kids. I make time and effort to
spend time with these things. But God? Do I really... REALLY... love Him with ALL my heart? All my soul? With all my mind?
All my strength? I like to think so. But is it true 24 x 7?

Mark 7:6; And He said to them, "Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: 'THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS, BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.

also see Matt 15:8;

Sometimes we are petty. I love bacon. I love working out. I love all the "likes" I get on facebook (or TalkJesus).

But what do we put before God? In my case.... sometimes a lot of things. I think over my life I have had a lot of idols.
Not Hindu, Buddha, wood or brass image gods. ( Deut 4:28; Deut 28:36; Dan 5:4; etc... ) but still things I have worshiped.
Things I have put before God... more than once in my life. My motorcycle, my old truck.

How much time do you spend with God? Really pressing into Him? Really getting to know Him? Really seeking Him?

Heb 11:6; And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Acts 17:27; that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;

Zeph 2:3; Seek the LORD, All you humble of the earth Who have carried out His ordinances; Seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden In the day of the LORD'S anger.

Do we really seek God? Every day? I am reminded of a bumper sticker... "Is God your steering wheel or your spare tire?"
Do we just talk to God when we are having problems? When we need something from Him? Is He your genie? Your vending
machine? You just come around when you need something? I wonder how your wife, or girlfriend, or even your children
would feel about that relationship.

Jer 29:13; 'You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

When is the last time you took time out of your busy day, just to spend time with God. Just talking to Him. Just getting to know Him.

Isa 55:6; Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near.

Jas 2:23; and the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "AND ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS," and he was called the friend of God.

Abraham was a "friend of God". Are you? Who/what is your idol today? What are you putting before God?

Don't get me wrong, we need to spend times with our wives/husbands, children family and friends. It's OK to have hobbies, to work on old cars, to work out at the gym. Nothing wrong with these things... but are these things keeping you from God?