• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Not worthy

Loyal
As Christians, just about all of us would say we aren't "worthy" of heaven. ...and really, we aren't even worthy of salvation, none of us.
Every one one of us has sinned. How many times? Do you even know? Hundreds, thousands? Ten of thousands? Even after being a Christian
we have sinned. How many times? Did you sin yesterday?

And yet... there is this amazing grace. Amazing love. God Himself would send His only Son to die in our place.
So none of us are worthy, yet we all have the chance to be saved. We can forgive. If we truly repent, we can be children of God.

Still the Bible says we can do things that make us "un-worthy". There are a few different contexts of this...
For example John the Baptist said he was unworthy to even untie Jesus's Adidas. ( John 1:27; Acts 13:25; )

But there are verses that are in the context of being "worthy" of Jesus.

Matt 10:33; "But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

Matt 10:37; "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.

If you love your family, even your own children more than Jesus.... you're not worthy of Him.

Matt 10:38; "And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.

If you love yourself, your ego, your life, more than you love Jesus, you're not worthy of Him.

Matt 22:8; "Then he *said to his slaves, 'The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy.

Some of the people who will be invited to the wedding feast.... "were not worthy".

Rom 1:32; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also those who give hearty approval to those who practice them.

The last half of Romans 1, talks about homosexuality. Men with men, women with women doing un-natural things. The Bible says these people are worthy of death.
Not only those who do these things, but even those who approve of others doing these things.

Rev 3:4; 'But you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; and they will walk with Me in white, for they are worthy.

The church of Sardis... only one of two out of seven that Jesus didn't really have anything against. Jesus seems to be saying "a few" people have "not soiled" their garments.
The flip side of this statement is that obviously... others have.

Luke 9:62; But Jesus said to him, "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."

So the questions remains... while certainly none of us are worthy of salvation, we can receive it; but can we do things to make us "unworthy".

Loyal
So the questions remains... while certainly none of us are worthy of salvation, we can receive it; but can we do things to make us "unworthy".
So then the answer to your final question is to be found in the heart of each person. The answer, I believe, is to be found in the difference between a King Saul type of heart which wants to justify itself and blame others so as to be found somehow still worthy before God; and a King David type of heart that loves God truly and is willing to accept whatever punishment/chastisement God may require dues to his failures and/or shortcomings.

Loyal
Our Jesus is just so amazing...Here we were, sinners, spirits dead in sin, and as you say, totally unworthy of notice much less salvation. Then Jesus!
2 Corinthians 5:20-21 (KJV)

20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

He knows we were unworthy of salvation so He became sin so that we could be made the righteousness of God in Him, which made us worthy....and all we had to do was receive it. We are the righteousness of God in Him and His anointing!! Wow!
Then....being humans, in our thinking, we slip up and sin...stepping out of righteousness, into unrighteousness, making ourselves unworthy again.... 1 John 1:9 (KJV)

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

So we confess our sin, He cleanses us from all the garbage we rolled in and restores us to righteousness all over again.

That's our Jesus! We are worthy, in Him. We are the righteousness of God in Him.

Now there are quite a few more verses to this effect. You know how to find them.

Active
@B-A-C,

I am not worthy that Jesus Christ died in my place because "all men have sinned" (past tense) and come short of God's glory. But "I AM" worthy after Christ gave me His power and told me how to obey Him. "I AM" worthy because I believe what Christ said, and I work it out daily in obedience "BELIEVING" His word. "I AM" worthy because I am not a hearer of Christ word, but a doer of His word. Christ will tell me "I AM" worthy when He tells me "well done you "FAITHFUL" servant."

Luke 20:35
But they which shall be accounted "worthy" to obtain that world (Eternal Life), and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

Luke 21:36
Watch therefore, and pray always, that you may be "accounted worthy" to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Guard your heart knowing that out of it comes the issues of life. A believer either obeys from their heart or they don't.

Colossians 1:10
That you might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Everyday I pick up my cross and follow Christ I am confirming Christ telling me through faith - "I AM" worthy. If I don't pick up my cross and follow Jesus Christ, I am not worthy.

Matthew 10:38
And he that take not his cross, and follows after me, is not worthy of me.

Loyal
James 4:6
But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

Psalm 25:9
He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way.

James 4:10
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

Active
@Life,
A believer is humbled when they obey and believe the words of Jesus Christ. A believer is arrogant when they believe that they don't have to be a doer of God's word. When a person believes they can keeps God's word daily, they are rejecting the deception of the devil and living according to God's Grace which is sufficient for him.

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

2 Corinthians 10:5
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

A person can only develop in faith when they step out in faith and believe that all things are possible to them that believe. Those that have a lack of faith cannot believe what Jesus is teaching because of fear. When a believer exalts the Word of Faith in their life, they can only be daily exalted by Jesus Christ in character and in life.