• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Non-OSAS belief - undermines the cross

It honestly seems to me that Non-OSAS believers do not properly understand what a saved born again Christian is. This thread explains that it is not merely those who put their foot in church and 'taste' Christianity that are saved. If it was, non-OSAS would be believable. What is a Christian and how do you become one?.
We have a positional stand before God.

Which is based on a perfect sacrifice once and for all.

The gift of Salvation and what we are because of it, our standing with God etc. Is perfect and holy and pleasing to God.

But that is our positional standing.

In other words as 1 Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

" whatsoever is born of God cannot sin" ! Really? Why because anything of and from God is perfect.

However we ALL know that we do sin as Christians. So who is wrong?

Our living out or being a Christian.

We are perfect and yet we are not.

Why.

Because we have not yet finished the race. Our sanctification is a process. Our experiential walk and our position in Christ are not at the same place. One is perfect they other is being sanctified. It is a process.

2 Tim 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

And the opposite is also true.

And that is why our salvation is vulnerable. Not from Gods side - but from ours.

Active
Brother, I have lost track of how many times I have asked you to explain how what you believe 'abiding' to be, is not a 'works based salvation'.

Eph 2:8-9 thoroughly debunks a non-OSAS view of every scripture alluding to works. As such, to make your non-OSAS argument you need to prove how 'abiding' is not works.

Last I recall, you said it was becuase works was after salvation. I replied with a 'it does not matter before or after, its still implying a works based salvation'.

Works are not bad. They are needed as justification for salvation. But not for salvation. Justification and salvation are apples and oranges.

'Works' cannot be mentioned in the same sentence as salvation. You are all just masking works with other words. ''Keep faith, abide, follow Jesus''. What exactly is 'keep faith, abide and follow Jesus' according to you? Prove to me it is not 'works' ;).
You're starting with a false premise. The "Works based salvation" argument is a Reformation teaching, not a Biblical one. It stems from Martin Luther's "Faith Alone" doctrine. Christians are told to keep Christ's commands. So, there are things we must do. As has been mentioned, you're taking Scripture out of context. You said,

"Eph 2:8-9 thoroughly debunks a non-OSAS view of every scripture alluding to works. As such, to make your non-OSAS argument you need to prove how 'abiding' is not works."

No, it doesn't. Because when we read it in context, we find that it is speaking of the Mosaic Law. Essentially, "not of works" is saying not of the Mosaic Law. That becomes crystal clear from the context.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Eph 2:8–10.

So, why is it that they are not saved by works? Paul explains.

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; 12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: 13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. 14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: 17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Eph 2:11–17.

Christ has broken down the middle wall of partition. Here Paul is referencing an actual wall in the temple that separated Jews and Gentiles. There was a wall on the temple grounds that the Gentiles could not pass. The Jews on the other hand could, essentially getting closer to God. Christ broke down that wall. Now Jew and Gentile had equal access. He continues to explain that Christ abolished "the law of commandments contained in ordinances". That is the Mosaic Law. The reason Gentiles aren't saved by works is because Christ had abolished the works of the Law.

The problem is that people proof text Eph 2:9 and give works their own definition and then claim the Bible says one doesn't have any works to do. Nothing could father from the truth. If we look at virtually all of Paul's statement on works, we'll find some reference to the Mosaic Law. Take Galatians 4 for instance.

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. 5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Ga 3:1–5.

This is why a study of history is useful. If we study the events of the time, we'll find that Paul had a big problem during his ministry. The problem was that of the Judaizers. These were men who came from the Jerusalem church, and we are going behind Paul telling his converts that in addition to faith they also had to be circumcised and keep the Law of Moses.

And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. 2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Ac 15:1–2.

This was such an issue that they determined that Paul and Barnabus should go to Jerusalem and inquire of the other apostles. It was such an issue that the Holy Spirit had Paul go to Jerusalem.

Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also. 2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Ga 2:1–2.

We can see this must have been quite a problem is God had the Holy Spirit involved. The rest of the account can be read in Acts 15.

So, When Paul says they are not saved by works, he is not saying anything one does. He is specifically addressing this idea that the Gentiles had to keep the Law of Moses. This passage has wrongly been used for hundreds of years to mislead Christians into thinking that there is nothing for them to do regarding salvation. I've actually heard Christians say if you try to do works you are working against God. This is wrong at every level. People grab this passage and claim Paul is saying that good works aren't necessary. However, it seems they don't pay attention to another statement Paul made.

5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; 6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds: 7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: 8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, 9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Ro 2:5–9.

Paul says that God will render to every man "According to his works". What are the two rewards? To those who do good, eternal life. To those who do evil, indignation and wrath. Now, there's a crystal-clear statement that doing good works leads to eternal life. Unless you can figure out how this passage isn't saying that your interpretation of Ephesians 2:9 comes into question. And, as we see the context of that passage shows that interpretation is incorrect.

Active
This 'one small portion of scripture' you refer to, was so 'important'. Jesus had been going through the farewell discourse, as we know, He was preparing His disciples to be without Him, we note, this scripture was mid-way through, it is an important message. Abide in me, He says, so that I can abide in you, the order is essential.

Jesus gave them a picture, it was something He was excellent at, He knew that we remember things better, if we can visualise them in our mind, and the picture he gave was one we should always remember.
It was so important as his parting words to his disciples, or so important to you because this is the only portion you can cherrypick? Did you really not read John 15:3 which you quoted that says, "you are ALREADY CLEAN?" Based on what he said right next, "love one another, you are no longer my servants but my friends", are you really suggesting that he's threatening to cut them off - instead of encouraging them to fight on?

Active
No, it doesn't. Because when we read it in context, we find that it is speaking of the Mosaic Law. Essentially, "not of works" is saying not of the Mosaic Law. That becomes crystal clear from the context.
Yes, in that context, to Paul's readers, it's the Mosaic Law; however, it's far more overarching than that, because to you and I and the broad audience, it applies to any worldly religion, culture or philosophy, including "American dream", "diversity and equity" and "clean energy". The word "torah" primarily means INSTRUCTION, like an instruction manual of mankind for us to live our lives the way according to God's design and purpose, it's not like a bill passed through the House and the Senate and finally signed by the president. Any culture has its own version of Mosaic Law, their own path to everlasting happiness, they all have their own sages and prophets who claim they KNOW the way, but the only way to God is Yeshua who IS the way.

Active
Yes, in that context, to Paul's readers, it's the Mosaic Law; however, it's far more overarching than that, because to you and I and the broad audience, it applies to any worldly religion, culture or philosophy, including "American dream", "diversity and equity" and "clean energy". The word "torah" primarily means INSTRUCTION, like an instruction manual of mankind for us to live our lives the way according to God's design and purpose, it's not like a bill passed through the House and the Senate and finally signed by the president. Any culture has its own version of Mosaic Law, their own path to everlasting happiness, they all have their own sages and prophets who claim they KNOW the way, but the only way to God is Yeshua who IS the way.
No, it's not far more overreaching. What is far more overreaching is taking the passage out of context, redefining the word works and applying it where Paul had no intention of applying it. This is all through Paul's writings and every time it applies only to the Mosaic Law.

Active
No, it's not far more overreaching. What is far more overreaching is taking the passage out of context, redefining the word works and applying it where Paul had no intention of applying it. This is all through Paul's writings and every time it applies only to the Mosaic Law.
The only legitimate defition of "work" is specified in Exodus 20:8-10:

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.

The "work" herein is also called "customary work" in Lev. 23, it's referring to any kind of work you do to make a living - secular or religious - in the six days. This is the fourth commandment of the ten, and all other mosaic laws are built around the original ten commandments, and the same definition applies.

Active
The only legitimate defition of "work" is specified in Exodus 20:8-10:

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.

The "work" herein is also called "customary work" in Lev. 23, it's referring to any kind of work you do to make a living - secular or religious - in the six days. This is the fourth commandment of the ten, and all other mosaic laws are built around the original ten commandments, and the same definition applies.
This is why we have all of this confusion. People just won't read the Scriptures in context. Paul stated specifically in the very passage that @KingJ quoted that it was the commands contained in ordinances. That is the Mosaic Law. People claiming it's this or that doesn't change that, it just makes them wrong. Luther took the passage out of context and thousands, if not millions, have bought into his error and do the very same thing. That's how we got all of the Reformation doctrines. Not one of them is stated in Scripture. They are all inferences. A whole theology built on nothing but inferences. It amazes me that anyone buys into this system at all. Somewhere along the way Christians got the idea that they could just interpret the Scriptures any old way they want to and then claim it's God's word. It's only God's word if you are understanding it correctly. if one misunderstands the Scriptures then it's not God's word. It's error. It's never a good idea to form doctrine on inferences.

Active
This is why we have all of this confusion. People just won't read the Scriptures in context. Paul stated specifically in the very passage that @KingJ quoted that it was the commands contained in ordinances. That is the Mosaic Law. People claiming it's this or that doesn't change that, it just makes them wrong. Luther took the passage out of context and thousands, if not millions, have bought into his error and do the very same thing. That's how we got all of the Reformation doctrines. Not one of them is stated in Scripture. They are all inferences. A whole theology built on nothing but inferences. It amazes me that anyone buys into this system at all. Somewhere along the way Christians got the idea that they could just interpret the Scriptures any old way they want to and then claim it's God's word. It's only God's word if you are understanding it correctly. if one misunderstands the Scriptures then it's not God's word. It's error. It's never a good idea to form doctrine on inferences.
The only gold standard and biblical standard is Sola Scriptura - let the Scripture itself interpret the Scripture. There's nothing really "new" in the NT, it's OT in ACTION; the whole bible is all around and all about Yeshua, OT points to Yeshua, Yeshua fulfills the OT; therefore, the only guideline I know is read salvation through Yeshua in every OT passage, and read OT reference in every NT passage.

Active
The only gold standard and biblical standard is Sola Scriptura - let the Scripture itself interpret the Scripture. There's nothing really "new" in the NT, it's OT in ACTION; the whole bible is all around and all about Yeshua, OT points to Yeshua, Yeshua fulfills the OT; therefore, the only guideline I know is read salvation through Yeshua in every OT passage, and read OT reference in every NT passage.
Let Scripture interpret Scripture is the logical fallacy known as reification. The Scriptures are words. They don't have a mind and cannot interpret. This is an argument that gives a false sense of authority to the speaker. As though the speaker's interpretation of a passage was Scripture. Any interpretation is just that, an interpretation. Translations too, are somewhat of an interpretation. I would also submit that Sola Scriptura is not the gold standard. None of the Apostles ever said that. They told their disciples to hold to the traditions that were handed down to them. I'll grant you that today, that's not always a good idea as many of the traditions the apostles handed down have been corrupted. However, on the other hand, we don't have the original writings of the apostles, so we can't go by "Sola Scriptura". We can go by, "Sola translation" or in other words, some guy's understanding of the texts. But how do we know he understands the texts correctly? We don't. That's another reason proof texting is such a poor way to engage Scripture. If translators can misunderstand passages, how much more the unlearned? One's translation is the product of one's presuppositions.

Active
Let Scripture interpret Scripture is the logical fallacy known as reification. The Scriptures are words. They don't have a mind and cannot interpret. This is an argument that gives a false sense of authority to the speaker. As though the speaker's interpretation of a passage was Scripture. Any interpretation is just that, an interpretation. Translations too, are somewhat of an interpretation. I would also submit that Sola Scriptura is not the gold standard. None of the Apostles ever said that. They told their disciples to hold to the traditions that were handed down to them. I'll grant you that today, that's not always a good idea as many of the traditions the apostles handed down have been corrupted. However, on the other hand, we don't have the original writings of the apostles, so we can't go by "Sola Scriptura". We can go by, "Sola translation" or in other words, some guy's understanding of the texts. But how do we know he understands the texts correctly? We don't. That's another reason proof texting is such a poor way to engage Scripture. If translators can misunderstand passages, how much more the unlearned? One's translation is the product of one's presuppositions.
That's where the prophecies come in, which count as a third of the Scripture, but the vast majority of churches don't teach because none of that is taught in seminaries. Solid EXTRABIBLICAL historical record has confirmed what the Scripture predicted - such as Alexander's conquest in Daniel and the siege of Jerusalem in 70 AD. All kinds of crazy world events are moving precisely in the direction written in thsoe prophecies. The same tactics and attitudes of the pharisees when they had a showdown with Yeshua, such as "virtue signaling" or "loaded question” is frequently observed everyday, even on this forum. That's why the Word is "alive and active", not just ancient obsolete history.

That's where the prophecies come in, which count as a third of the Scripture, but the vast majority of churches don't teach because none of that is taught in seminaries. Solid EXTRABIBLICAL historical record has confirmed what the Scripture predicted - such as Alexander's conquest in Daniel and the siege of Jerusalem in 70 AD. All kinds of crazy world events are moving precisely in the direction written in thsoe prophecies. The same tactics and attitudes of the pharisees when they had a showdown with Yeshua, such as "virtue signaling" or "loaded question” is frequently observed everyday, even on this forum. That's why the Word is "alive and active", not just ancient obsolete history.

But this is just filler that puffs up but contributes nothing.

Yes the prophecies were fulfilled. They were rather easy to understand.

We have 1 billion Catholics and about 1 billion others who do not agree on what a few certain Greek words means.

There are no prophecies written in Greek that have been fulfilled to help us understand what those certain words mean.

We can't even decide if the words "destroyed in hell" spoken by Jesus mean the same thing as Jesus words regarding the temple "destroy in 3 days"

Some say Eternal conscious torment others anniallation. Last I checked the temple wasn't rebuilt. But there is of course a "gotcha"... Jesus was referring to himself! I feel like this is a Monty Python skit

Does that mean your body and soul destroyed in hell (again a direct quote from Jesus) gets reborn again and lives forever in hell?

Why not if we interpret other scriptures in like manner to mean whatever we want them to mean?

Active
But this is just filler that puffs up but contributes nothing.

Yes the prophecies were fulfilled. They were rather easy to understand.

We have 1 billion Catholics and about 1 billion others who do not agree on what a few certain Greek words means.

There are no prophecies written in Greek that have been fulfilled to help us understand what those certain words mean.

We can't even decide if the words "destroyed in hell" spoken by Jesus mean the same thing as Jesus words regarding the temple "destroy in 3 days"

Some say Eternal conscious torment others anniallation. Last I checked the temple wasn't rebuilt. But there is of course a "gotcha"... Jesus was referring to himself! I feel like this is a Monty Python skit

Does that mean your body and soul destroyed in hell (again a direct quote from Jesus) gets reborn again and lives forever in hell?

Why not if we interpret other scriptures in like manner to mean whatever we want them to mean?
That's why I primarily listen to messianic jewish ministries, they know what the original Hebrew words mean. As for the Greek in the NT, there's always the Septuigent as the authoritative guide, any questionable Greek word has some Hebrew equivalent in the OT. If you still dismiss that as irrelevant, then that's your unbelief.

That's why I primarily listen to messianic jewish ministries, they know what the original Hebrew words mean. As for the Greek in the NT, there's always the Septuigent as the authoritative guide, any questionable Greek word has some Hebrew equivalent in the OT.
If you want to trust the Hebrew, get your theology from there. Many fell away, some even killed by God for opposing Moses.

Of the alleged 2 million that left Egypt (personally I think that it was about 2000) (those numbers increased for about 800 years and became about 200K, with most going into Babylonian captivity)*

2 entered the promised land, the rest perished due to their unbelief. They were all "saved" from Egypt were they not? Yet few remained to the end of their trial, a concept repeated in Rev "those who endure to the end will be saved."

* Or the population decreased post David and decayed from 2 to 4 million down to a tenth in just 500 years.

Active
If you want to trust the Hebrew, get your theology from there. Many fell away, some even killed by God for opposing Moses.

Of the alleged 2 million that left Egypt (personally I think that it was about 2000) (those numbers increased for about 800 years and became about 200K, with most going into Babylonian captivity)*

2 entered the promised land, the rest perished due to their unbelief. They were all "saved" from Egypt were they not? Yet few remained to the end of their trial, a concept repeated in Rev "those who endure to the end will be saved."

* Or the population decreased post David and decayed from 2 to 4 million down to a tenth in just 500 years.
I trust God who's bringing them back. I see messianic movement rising in Israel, the seemingly dead fig tree is budding, all the prophecies of Israel's restoration is being fulfilled. I meet the real Yeshua through their introduction instead of a self-helf guru through the teaching of most charismatic churches. Stick with the antisemetic mainstream and your replacement theology if you want. If you don't hold the bible as the authoratative word of God, why does this history in the Torah matter to you?

I trust God who's bringing them back. I see messianic movement rising in Israel, the seemingly dead fig tree is budding, all the prophecies of Israel's restoration is being fulfilled. I meet the real Yeshua through their introduction instead of a self-helf guru through the teaching of most charismatic churches. Stick with the antisemetic mainstream and your replacement theology if you want. If you don't hold the bible as the authoratative word of God, why does this history in the Torah matter to you?
Again more noise.

Allegedly 599,998 men did not endure to the end. They failed, wandering around in the desert.

Far as I know, looking at how the rest of the bible is written. They are in hell.

If you are under the age of 12 and can't stomach this, let me know and I will stop talking to you about it.

Secondly, whatever God is doing today has nothing to do with the salvation of those 40000 years ago. It's gone man

If you don't hold the bible as the authoratative word of God, why does this history in the Torah matter to you?
Because God is as quick to cut off 599998 men 4000 years ago as he is to cut off the same percentage today, according to their deeds and belief or lack of it.

Active
Again more noise.

Allegedly 599,998 men did not endure to the end. They failed, wandering around in the desert.

Far as I know, looking at how the rest of the bible is written. They are in hell.

If you are under the age of 12 and can't stomach this, let me know and I will stop talking to you about it.

Secondly, whatever God is doing today has nothing to do with the salvation of those 40000 years ago. It's gone man
Because God is as quick to cut off 599998 men 4000 years ago as he is to cut off the same percentage today, according to their deeds and belief or lack of it.
Then what makes your voice a signal rather than a noise? Those Iraelites refused to enter the promised land based on the terrifying report of the ten spies, it was their choice, God just gave them what they wanted. How do you know they all end up in hell, and what the word "hell" even means to you, if it's not "eternal separation from God"? And what does that matter to you? I know Moses didn't end up in hell, he was on top of the mountain with Yeshua in the transfiguration. I also know that early Christians were predominantly Jewish, Christianity was recognized as the "Way" sect of Judaism until Constantin officially ordained his fake version of Christianity and stole its name.

Those Iraelites refused to enter the promised land based on the terrifying report of the ten spies, it was their choice, God just gave them what they wanted. How do you know they all end up in hell,
You tempt me slightly here. I have thought about this.
Suppose I am saved. And I don't want to go to heaven. (My mom thinks outer darkness is for the disenfranchised Christians)

Where else would I go?

Did I lose my ticket or did I destroy it myself? Suppose I want to hang out in hell for a while to see what it's like.

None of this has anything to do with God expressing his offence at lots of folks across 4000 years.

Why not take this a step further and say everyone who ever once in their life seriously said "God forgive me".

They all going to heaven?. It would be nearly everyone on the planet.