• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

No commandments greater than these. How?

Staff Member
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
Matk 12:30-31

This has been on my heart for some time and I have been prompted by brother Dave M"s prayer thread.
(Thank you @Dave M )

How do we do this?

How do we know we love the Lord with all our soul mind and strength?

How do we love our neighbour as much as we love ourselves?

Surely this is something we all fail in many times?

I'm sure I put self first a lot of the time above my neighbour?

How can the great commandments in theses verses be applied Spiritually and practically to our lives?

Loyal
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

This has been on my heart for some time and I have been prompted by brother Dave M"s prayer thread.
(Thank you @Dave M )

How do we do this?

Surely this is something we all fail in many times?

I'm sure I put self first a lot of the time above my neighbour?

How can the great commandments in theses verses be applied Spiritually and practically to our lives?
Dear Lady....Have you noticed that all the OT law as laid down by our Father, are based on LOVE?
The two laws laid down by our brother, Lord, and God, Jesus, are based on LOVE..As He is LOVE. Surely there can be no greater commands or accomplishents. And as you ask...Is this something we fail at many times?
Ouch!! These two laws actually facilitate our walking in the Spirit because without living these two laws we tend to avoid Him out of guilt. And we have to learn to love ourselves too.

Loyal
The Shema | The Bible Project

Very good exploration of Hear, Love, Lord, Soul, Heart, strength.

I think this question could be answered well a million different ways by different people at different times.

For me, today, it's about continually forgiving people who have betrayed me and let me down.

Loyal
@Fragrant Grace
The way we get there, the way we grow toward that perfection is to daily, regularly go back to the very bottom [to the lowest room] and then allow God to lift us up, allow Jesus to say, "go up higher":

"When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Luke 14:8-11

People want to start again where they left off yesterday or at least where they thought they were yesterday, but only God know really where we were and where we need to be. This is why we must always start "in the lowest room".

Where will this lead us? It will lead us toward absolute and perfect obedience to those two greatest commandments quoted in the OP.

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:48

Loyal
Hmmm... love and hate. Luke 14:26 says we have to "hate" our families. It has been argued that in this context, it simply
means "love less than".

Are we always good to ourselves? Do we always love ourselves? I can say I haven't been good to myself on occasion.
Have you ever been too hard in yourself? Have you ever "hated" yourself for something you did?
I can say I haven't always loved myself on occasion. So... if we only have to love our neighbors as ourselves.....
doesn't that give us a little lee-way?

This might be stretching it... but maybe not?

Rom 13:8; Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.

So far, so good.

Rom 13:9; For this, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Basically Paul is saying here... if you aren't having an affair with your neighbors wife, murdering them, stealing from them, etc...
you "are" loving them. What else do we think we have to do here? Mow their grass? Cook their meals? Now if they were sick
and disabled... maybe.

Rom 13:10; Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

A way of loving your neighbor.. is by "doing no wrong" to them.

Loving God... all your soul, mind, strength and heart... that's tougher. How can we make an excuse for this one?
I'm not sure, but we manage.

Loyal
Hmmm... love and hate. Luke 14:26 says we have to "hate" our families. It has been argued that in this context, it simply
means "love less than".

Are we always good to ourselves? Do we always love ourselves? I can say I haven't been good to myself on occasion.
Have you ever been too hard in yourself? Have you ever "hated" yourself for something you did?
I can say I haven't always loved myself on occasion. So... if we only have to love our neighbors as ourselves.....

This might be stretching it... but maybe not?

Rom 13:8; Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.

So far, so good.

Rom 13:9; For this, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Basically Paul is saying here... if you aren't having an affair with your neighbors wife, murdering them, stealing from them, etc...
you "are" loving them. What else do we think we have to do here? Mow their grass? Cook their meals? Now if they were sick
and disabled... maybe.

Rom 13:10; Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

A way of loving your neighbor.. is by "doing no wrong" to them.

Loving God... all your soul, mind, strength and heart... that's tougher. How can we make an excuse for this one?
I'm not sure, but we manage.
Not sure what you are trying to communicate here? Are you giving hypothetical examples, or are you unsure about the twin commands to love God and your neighbour?

For me, to comprehend what is required of us is fairly straightforward; to obey it is a lifetime's reflection and action.

To rephrase the original question, how do you shape your life around these commandments?

Loyal

Being able to "love" your neighbor as yourself can not done until you do the first part of this verse which is why loving your neighbor is "second" to doing the "first". "thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength". The Lord God takes nothing by force, which is why we are to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice, Holy, and acceptable unto God, which is our spiritual form of worship" (Romans 12:1)
What we want is for God himself to be in "control" of everything we do.

2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;

Knowing, and understanding Jesus died for all men, and not just for our self's will cause the love of God to control us.

God promised in the Old Testament that he would give us a new heart, and he will fill us with his Spirit, and "cause us to walk in his statues, and do them."

Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Staff Member
People want to start again where they left off yesterday or at least where they thought they were yesterday, but only God know really where we were and where we need to be. This is why we must always start "in the lowest room".

Where will this lead us? It will lead us toward absolute and perfect obedience to those two greatest commandments quoted in the OP.

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:48

Thank you for your reply brother @amadeus2

That makes a lot of sense.....

So that as we grow in grace, love and humility towards the Lord and fellow man, we will begin to achieve these 2 great commandments more and more fully.....more of Christ less of me.

I dont think I have paraphased that very well.

Bless you brother and I will continue to ponder your reply

Staff Member

Thank you for your reply brother @B-A-C
I like the way you have put a slightly different tilt on thinking about this subject.

A little lee-way....?

It is true that quite often I dont love myself and sometimes condemn myself......so loving my neighbouras myself using that rule........would not really be love at all.
And at times when I do love myself.....that is often pride that is prevailing.

Sounds a bit hopeless......until we consider Jesus

Our love for our neighbours must outflow from our love of the Lord and His love reigning in our hearts.

Lord, it is my chief complaint
That my love is weak and faint;
Yet I love Thee, and adore;
O for grace to love Thee more!*

Now our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,
Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

*From Hymn: Hark my soul......William Cowper 1768

Loyal
this is a great thread, I so often think about this and what does it really look like. I wonder sometimes if Jesus told this just so we can realize how far away we are from being perfect as he was. I mean who is willing to lay down there life for another ??

Look at the apostle Paul he loved people so much he said he would rather go to hell and take peoples place if he could, that is just a incredible statement.
Romans 9:3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh.

Mosses said something similar
Exodus 32:32 But now, if you will forgive their sin—but if not, please blot me out of your book that you have written.”

there are certain people I would lay my life down but its a short list for sure and I may even fail that if tested.

Loyal
Look at the apostle Paul he loved people so much he said he would rather go to hell and take peoples place if he could, that is just a incredible statement.
Romans 9:3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh.

This is impossible for man to do. No body could ever possibly do this unless God himself was in control of that person. As Jesus himself said, "I can of my own self do nothing...." (John 5:30)

Active

How do we do this?

A true "turn from" sin would be the "official" start. (Acts 2:38)

Staff Member
A true "turn from" sin would be the "official" start. (Acts 2:38)

Thank you for your reply @At Peace

It would seem you are making reference to the unsaved, those who have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

In my original post I am referring to Christians ( including myself) and asking:

At Peace, at many times in your posts you wtite as if you are the only person who is saved here.
Yet your posts lack any of the joy of Salvation

I dont think that anyone can ever love the Lord enough for what He has done for us
Isnt wonderful that
as we grow in Christ, we love Him more and more
Deeper and deeper

O teach me what it meaneth,
Thy love beyond compare,
The love that reacheth deeper
Than depths of self-despair!
Yea, teach me, till there gloweth
In this cold heart of mine
Some feeble, pale reflection
Of that pure love of Thine*

*Lucy Ann Bennett 19th Centuary hymn O teach me what it meaneth

Active
It would seem you are making reference to the unsaved, those who have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.
Happy Saturday, FG.
Perhaps, but the effect of turning from sin is obedience to God.
That is how we show Him, and ourselves, that we are accomplishing both the first and second commandment.

In my original post I am referring to Christians ( including myself) and asking:
By maintaining a life centered on God, and not on crucified affections and lusts, we will automatically manifest that we love God above all else.

At Peace, at many times in your posts you wtite as if you are the only person who is saved here.
Yet your posts lack any of the joy of Salvation
My salvation isn't assured.
I must "maintain till the end", as Jesus said in Matt.24:13.
I am in a war against "wickedness in high places", and joy will have to wait till I hear "Well done...".
Where there any others here who professed total obedience to God, my mood might be a bit lighter.
But none do.

I dont think that anyone can ever love the Lord enough for what He has done for us.
I agree, but that isn't a reason to not try.

Isn't it wonderful that
as we grow in Christ, we love Him more and more
Deeper and deeper
How can one's love grow if they one is still committing sin?
Our Lord is the One we obey.
Who is the lord of the disobedient?

Active
True enough. What's the next step?
The second step to manifesting we ARE accomplishing obedience to the first and second commandment from Jesus is...baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of our past sins..
First we turn from sin, making us, essentially, ex-sinners.
Second, we are cleansed by the blood of Christ, sanctified by the blood of the lamb, and, as Romans 6:3-6 points out, crucified, buried and raised with Christ to walk in newness of life. Now in a vessel fit for the residency of the Holy Spirit.
God gives that Spirit/Comforter to those ex-sinners who have crucified the flesh with the circumcision done without hands.

Loyal
Happy Saturday, FG.
Perhaps, but the effect of turning from sin is obedience to God.
That is how we show Him, and ourselves, that we are accomplishing both the first and second commandment.

By maintaining a life centered on God, and not on crucified affections and lusts, we will automatically manifest that we love God above all else.

My salvation isn't assured.
I must "maintain till the end", as Jesus said in Matt.24:13.
I am in a war against "wickedness in high places", and joy will have to wait till I hear "Well done...".
Where there any others here who professed total obedience to God, my mood might be a bit lighter.
But none do.

I agree, but that isn't a reason to not try.

How can one's love grow if they one is still committing sin?
Our Lord is the One we obey.
Who is the lord of the disobedient?
Why is your salvation not assured? Mine is! Our Father gave us that assurance in writing!
1 John 5:11-13 (CJB)
11 And this is the witness: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Those who have the Son have the life; those who do not have the Son of God do not have the life. 13 I have written you these things so that you may know that you have eternal life — you who keep trusting in the person and power of the Son of God.
Why do you delight in taking a single verse and building an entire doctrine on it. Based on a single verse you state empirically that salvation is not assured. So? Let the bible confirm that. Find all the verses on that particular subject. You will learn that by covenant you HAVE total assurance if you HAVE the Son of God residing in you.

Loyal
Back to Grace's topic on hand :)

You know I may not willingly sin, but when I do not follow these commandments that makes me a sinner. I ignore them sometimes with out even realizing it. Love you neighbor as yourself shows me how far I yet have to go, choosing not sin by the power of Jesus Christ in me shows how far I have come !!

1 Corinthians 10:24
Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.

Philippians 2:3-4
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Active
Why is your salvation not assured? Mine is! Our Father gave us that assurance in writing!
1 John 5:11-13 (CJB)
11 And this is the witness: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Those who have the Son have the life; those who do not have the Son of God do not have the life. 13 I have written you these things so that you may know that you have eternal life — you who keep trusting in the person and power of the Son of God.
Why do you delight in taking a single verse and building an entire doctrine on it. Based on a single verse you state empirically that salvation is not assured. So? Let the bible confirm that. Find all the verses on that particular subject. You will learn that by covenant you HAVE total assurance if you HAVE the Son of God residing in you.
I must yet endure till the end. (Matt 10:22)