• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

My testimony of finding God

I have been on a long journey to find God and recently was saved (Jan 7), accepting Jesus as my savior.

God placed a wonderful person into my life about 18 months ago who was very influential in bringing me to God, but never pushy or forceful in doing so.

When we first met, she expressed that she had a very strong faith that was important to her, but never was pushy about it. I was best described as an uneducated agnostic, having been raised with a loose belief and knowledge of Christian values and traditions, but very little formal teaching or education on it. She accepted and respected the beliefs I held, but also enjoyed discussing with me her views and testimony, and providing insight and counter arguments to some of my positions.

I was always skeptical of what she was telling me, but never disbelieved that what she was saying was true for her either. Everything she said made sense to me, even though I was conflicted since my own views seemed to make sense to me too.

Coupled with my beliefs, I was really in need of the Lord's help too. I had an addiction, but not in the traditional sense when people think of an addict (such as a deep drug addict, sex addict, etc, although I was heading that way).

I was addicted to anxiety and fear of the unknown. To the point where I was becoming increasingly sedentary and lethargic. Unwilling to leave the house to do anything, to meet people, even to talk on the phone. I was reaching the point of being scared to do some of this stuff. It was not always that way, but grew that way. I also was feeling more and more empty, that life was hollow without a purpose, although I struggled to believe that to be so.

The self destructive nature of the devil that was leading me down this path also had me starting to turn to other harmful, self destructive things. I was beginning to find escape in alcohol. I had drank for many years on the occasional weekend, but never daily. That was changing, as I was finding a need to escape, and turning more frequently to alcohol. Just one drink to relax, maybe two, I was not too far down the road of a bad alcoholic yet, but that was the road I was venturing down.

At some point before Christmas while she was giving me another testimony, finding the presence of God was like a bright light was turned on. Sudden, and clear. I could see the Lord acting for her, and through her as clearly as I could see her physical presence sitting across the table from me. It was a humbling and awe inspiring moment, and the next day I began a campaign of research and reading to discover more about the faith I thought I related to, but never really learned much about. I also began to attend church (a small Baptist church, which she belongs to and invited me to attend).

I found I knew very little about Christianity, and as I learned, I found that many of the reasons I thought I would not relate were really reasons to accept Jesus.

I read a number of CS Lewis books, Mere Christianity, the Problem of Pain, and a couple others dealing with some philosophical and theological discussions regarding Christianity and how it impacts our lives. I read these to familiarize myself more with some of the basics, and coming from being closer to an agnostic than a Christian, to see how Lewis, who was an Athiest before becoming saved, found his own way to Jesus.

My pastor also had me read Pilgrim's Progress, which was a very enlightening and interesting read, simplistic in it's writing style but deep in it's message and direction.

After that, I read Steve Currington's "Never The Less I Live." This book is generally intended for adicts to bring them to God. It was a deep and powerful read. Although my addiction was less a physical substance abuse addiction and more of an addiction to my own laziness and acceptance of life being empty, it was still an addiction. Through this book, he uses God's word to really explain why we have the thoughts and feelings we do when living in the flesh, and the counterpoints that we will feel when living with the direction of the Holy Spirit. I found this book to be life changing because it let me understand so clearly how God speaks to me, what his message is when he does speak, and how I can live by his word and have a great, fulfilling life, instead of living for myself and being in a miserable state.

Through Church, those books, the reading of scripture, prayer, and the obvious and influential answers to my prayers I began to experience, my faith grew strong and quickly! I accepted Jesus as my savior and was saved in early January, and I grow more excited to live with God daily!

I have not touched a drop of alcohol since I first saw his light and felt his presence during that testimony, nor have I had once craving to go back! He has given me the strength to overcome my anxieties and laziness! He has given me confidence to take on tough tasks, and he sees me through them to completion! He has saved my life in this lifetime, and the next!

I have a lot to learn about many of the foundations too! I am still humbled and thankful for God's help in my life and am excited about what he has in store for me in the future!

WOW! What a wonderful testimony! Shows how powerful love can be. Thank you so much for sharing it. And welcome to this forum. Hope to see ya on chat one of these days.

Checkered 24

Good testimony. I never tire of hearing testimonies.

Endless miracles performed in each unique life.

Thankyou Checkered 24.