• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Music as a crutch

I feel that my love of the musical instrument (the guitar as an object) has separated me from the love of God. I own several guitars, each one of them very precious to me. And I have a habit of acquiring more. However, rather than becoming happier and more satisfied with my collection, with each guitar brings me a longing for something more. I think it's true that the more things and possessions we obtain in this life the further separated we are from Him. It's like this: I collect guitars to fill the God shaped hole so to speak. How do I break this cycle?

The things we own end up owning us and attachment is at the heart of all suffering. I am very attached to each of my guitars. While I enjoy playing I have made an idol out of music.

What's your spiritual advice for ridding myself of my addictive guitar collecting behaviour? After-all, I can't take my guitars with me. Or maybe i'm thinking too deeply again.

Loyal
Since you really don't need more than one, pick one to keep and sell the rest. That would be a start. Put the money into a special fund to help others as the need arises. Then pray that God bring people into your life who need help and use some of that money to help them when they show. Do not be stingy about it. The separate fund would make it easier to not "accidentally" use it for something else. Blessing others with extra that God has blessed you with, will GREATLY bless you and change your heart bit by bit for the better. As God blesses you in return with more money, replenish that special fund. Dedicate that money in that account to the Lord, and call it His, so that you will not be tempted to take from it, except for the purpose of helping others.

Loyal
I feel that my love of the musical instrument (the guitar as an object) has separated me from the love of God. I own several guitars, each one of them very precious to me. And I have a habit of acquiring more. However, rather than becoming happier and more satisfied with my collection, with each guitar brings me a longing for something more. I think it's true that the more things and possessions we obtain in this life the further separated we are from Him. It's like this: I collect guitars to fill the God shaped hole so to speak. How do I break this cycle?

The things we own end up owning us and attachment is at the heart of all suffering. I am very attached to each of my guitars. While I enjoy playing I have made an idol out of music.

What's your spiritual advice for ridding myself of my addictive guitar collecting behaviour? After-all, I can't take my guitars with me. Or maybe i'm thinking too deeply again.

There is nothing wrong with owning many guitars, especially if that is how you make a living. Every style of music requires a certain sound that most of the time requires a specific kind of guitar coupled together with the amplifier. I think the problem is in how often you think about guitars. If it is all the time then that could be a problem. We just do not want to become a slave to our desires, and be brought under their power as the Apostle Paul tells us here.

1Co 6:12 Everything is permissible (allowable and lawful) for me; but not all things are helpful (good for me to do, expedient and profitable when considered with other things). Everything is lawful for me, but I will not become the slave of anything or be brought under its power. (AMP)

As a Christian we should always have our hearts set on the things above where Christ sits on the right hand of God. If we do this than all of the other things in our life will fall into their proper place. The Lord likes stringed instruments, as he is not against them in any way....

Psa 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Isa 38:20 The LORD was ready to save me: therefore we will sing my songs to the stringed instruments all the days of our life in the house of the LORD.

Hab_3:19 The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.

I feel that my love of the musical instrument (the guitar as an object) has separated me from the love of God.

Hello Jay.

I played percussion in a band for many years. Drums, bongos, chimes, timpani, cymbals, cow bell etc. but I was known as the tambourine girl. so I understand having a collection of instruments. I lost my 1970's era acoustic guitar to my ex-husband and I have not replaced it. .Sad thing is he doesn't even have it anymore.
So I don't have the love for guitars that you have. I do have a collection of chimes and rain-sticks..

You say in the quote above that you feel that your love for your guitars is separating you from God's love. Kinda like you worship them and love them more than you do the one who saved you.

I do not know you nor do I presume to fully understand your concerns but I do know the word of God and according to Romans chapter eight. You are so wrong! Nothing can separate you from the Love of God in Christ Jesus.

I am going to post a couple of possibilities, not saying that any of them pertain to your situation, just a few things to consider.

First of all, you have to be in Christ Jesus for the passage in Romans to pertain to you. So if you are indeed born again of the Holy Spirit of God, then cherishing your collection is not going to separate you from God.

Could it be the accuser of the brethren (Rev. 12:10) is taunting you? Baiting you with guilt? Seeking to destroy in you that God given talent so you loose your passion for playing? To thwart your worship of the one true living God? If so then be thankful for the guitars and refuse the lies of your enemy.

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him". — Colossians 3:17 (NIV)

Or how about the rich young ruler? (Matthew chapter 19) He claimed to have kept all the commandments (self-righteousness) and Jesus instructed him to sell all his stuff and give it to the poor and to come and follow him. He didn't..He went away sad because he loved his things. I would suggest you read that entire passage and let the Holy Spirit guide you. Especially this part: "When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?” 26 But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Get your answers from the word of God

Romans 8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;

we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we are more than yconquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Since you really don't need more than one, pick one to keep and sell the rest. That would be a start. Put the money into a special fund to help others as the need arises. Then pray that God bring people into your life who need help and use some of that money to help them when they show. Do not be stingy about it. The separate fund would make it easier to not "accidentally" use it for something else. Blessing others with extra that God has blessed you with, will GREATLY bless you and change your heart bit by bit for the better. As God blesses you in return with more money, replenish that special fund. Dedicate that money in that account to the Lord, and call it His, so that you will not be tempted to take from it, except for the purpose of helping others.
Managed to sell one of my guitars yesterday and I shall put it into a kitty for helping others

thanks

Loyal
Managed to sell one of my guitars yesterday and I shall put it into a kitty for helping others

thanks
I pray that God will bless you with someone needing that help, and bring them to you. Be patient, God does things at the best time versus as quickly as we would like.

Loyal
There is no such thing as thinking too deeply, rather the opposite is the problem with much Christian commitment.

In my Fellowship there are the proverbial two types of Christians...
The first who are just as involved in Church life as anybody else BUT have lots of material wealth, grand houses, multiple cars, go on luxury holidays,
and keep on talking about how the Lord has blessed them. Blessings are described in terms of material gains and prosperity.

The second lot are those who have much more modest means and are just as involved in Church life as others BUT oddly it is saints of low or modest income
who tend to be more generous, more sharing, more accepting of new people from bad circumstances. Blessings tend to described in terms of miracles,
healings, divine provision in time of need, new people responding to the gospel, giving to others in need.

I have noticed that our wealthy brothers and sisters prefer the company of other wealthy lifestyle peers.
This is not necessarily a salvation issue. Wealth of itself is not a condemnation. BUT I believe that how one uses and to what purpose a saint applies
their worldly assets and wealth for the benefit of others or not does effect judgment...

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire;
and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
1Corinthians 3:11-15

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Mathew 6:31-34

Do we believe this? Do we live by this?

Avoid the temptation to go the way of Ananias and Sapphira. (Acts chapters 4 and 5)

Believe me, if God chooses to use you for his purpose, he will make sure you sell every guitar you own. Until then, enjoy them while you can. I've owned some great guitars but the Taylor God had me sell was a tough one to let go of.

I don't think nothing is wrong with owning multiple guitars. They all have that certain look, feel, and sound. I like them too but I just can't play one. As long as you don't put the guitars before God you are ok. The main thing is to focus on God first the guitars second. You can even play them in service to the Lord. Write songs about the Lord, there is many ways you, the guitars, and the Lord can work together. You being concerned about putting the guitar before God, show your me you are thinking in the right direction. You know right from wrong by thinking this way, that's good. The Lord loves beautiful music, just like flesh man.

Just thought I'd throw this in. My dad came to my house for the first time in about twenty years. As he walked around looking, then commenting, son, you sure have come a long ways from the last time I was here. I had way more than I needed, kinda like your guitars, but I just liked those finer things that are suppose to satisfy flesh man. Well they do for awhile, then the new is gone.

Said all that to make this statement my dad made to me. (Son, the more material things you got, the more they got you). Didn't fully understand what he really said till some years later.

Loyal
If you want more guitars then given some away to someone who has none but wants one. What ever a man sows that shall he also reap. You can be sure when God causes you to reap what you sow, it will more returned back to you than what you sowed. That is just one of the laws of the spirit of life. Give, and it shall given back to you shaken together overflowing, shall men give unto your bosom!!

Active
I think if you have too much of anything you just give them to those who dont have any at all.

There might be a budding musician who cannot afford their own guitar..gift them one of yours. You can be a blessing to someone else.
Jesus says if you have two coats give one to someone who has none.