• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

METAPHORICALLY DEAD TO SIN

Active
I would like to make clear from the start of this writing, I know that God is; thinks; and acts in a literal sense. If God said believers are dead to sin, He believes this because He sees us through His Son. Man does not fugitively see himself dead to sin because he sees himself through his actions as being alive to sin. God sees believers through faith; but believers do not see themselves as God does.

Romans 6:1
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Romans 6:2
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Romans 6:7
For he that is dead is freed from sin.

How should we as believers understand the scriptures that teach we are dead to sin? If a believer is dead to sin, how is it possible for them to commit murder, fornication, steal, and lie or do anything contrary to what God's Commandments say? James and Paul sum it up and teach exactly what it is the believer is committing through their acts of disobedience to the law as they understand it (Jam. 4:17; Rom. 14:23; 1 Jo. 3:4).

How then can the bible teach that man's sins has been cancelled, they have been blotted out, taken away, put away, believers are dead to sins, believers are freed from sins, believers are blind to sins, they are sanctified from sins, made perfect from sins, saved from sins, delivered from the sin nature, healed from sins, cleansed from sins, should not have a consciousness of sins; etc. How do we as believers understand this?

Consider this in the "Metaphoric" sense instead of the "Literal" sense; knowing that God has said the "Just shall live by faith" (Gal. 3:11). Believer recived God's word by faith and not by what we see.

Metaphoric definition used:
A figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”

When scriptures teach that man's sins have been atoned for, by placing the sins of the world upon the body of Jesus Christ, this is speaking metaphorically; not literally (especially in the mind of man). A man's past, present or future actions/sin cannot be transferred literally. The act of sin comes from the heart and mind of man. However, in God's mind sins are transferable, because He sees sins in the spirit; as a spiritual disease which leaves a stain on the hearts of men; this is why God has given believers a new heart and spirit which cannot be defiled by sin (Eze. 36:26). He has cleansed man; not because of man's works of righteousness, but because of how God determined man's actions to be through Grace.

By God instituting the ritual of atonement under the Mosaic Covenant, it freed His mind from the sins the people have committed and reconciled man back unto Himself. Sin separated man from God (Isa. 59:2); but through the atonement of Jesus Christ, God has cancelled and blotted out the sin of the world "literally" from His mind; but in man's mind sin is still exist as literal. This is not the faith of God!

Those that believe they still sin are not agreeing with what the principle of God's word has said concerning sin. If Christ died for our offenses and was raised from the dead for our justification (our Righteousness and innocence from sins), and God has acquitted man having imputed Righteousness unto him, why do believers look at their works of sin; yet God is not? In the believers mind many believe they sin, unfortunately, they are yet in their sins because they believe this.

1Co 15:17 If Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; you are yet in your sins

A believer that thinks they still sin are not walking by faith; boldly confessing they are yet in their sin. Christ cannot be raised from the dead and yet a believer still sins. By these believers own admission they are yet in their sins; therefore, their faith must be in vain; according to 1Co. 15:17.

Romans 3:4
...yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That you might be justified in your sayings, and might overcome when you are judged.

1 Corinthians 6:11
And such were some of you: but you are washed, but you are sanctified, but you are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Loyal
I would like to make clear from the start of this writing, I know that God is; thinks; and acts in a literal sense. If God said believers are dead to sin, He believes this because He sees us through His Son. Man does not fugitively see himself dead to sin because he sees himself through his actions as being alive to sin. God sees believers through faith; but believers do not see themselves as God does.

Romans 6:1
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Romans 6:2

Romans 6:7
For he that is dead is freed from sin.

How should we as believers understand the scriptures that teach we are dead to sin? If a believer is dead to sin, how is it possible for them to commit murder, fornication, steal, and lie or do anything contrary to what God's Commandments say? James and Paul sum it up and teach exactly what it is the believer is committing through their acts of disobedience to the law as they understand it (Jam. 4:17; Rom. 14:23; 1 Jo. 3:4).

How then can the bible teach that man's sins has been cancelled, they have been blotted out, taken away, put away, believers are dead to sins, believers are freed from sins, believers are blind to sins, they are sanctified from sins, made perfect from sins, saved from sins, delivered from the sin nature, healed from sins, cleansed from sins, should not have a consciousness of sins; etc. How do we as believers understand this?

Consider this in the "Metaphoric" sense instead of the "Literal" sense; knowing that God has said the "Just shall live by faith" (Gal. 3:11). Believer recived God's word by faith and not by what we see.

Metaphoric definition used:
A figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”

When scriptures teach that man's sins have been atoned for, by placing the sins of the world upon the body of Jesus Christ, this is speaking metaphorically; not literally (especially in the mind of man). A man's past, present or future actions/sin cannot be transferred literally. The act of sin comes from the heart and mind of man. However, in God's mind sins are transferable, because He sees sins in the spirit; as a spiritual disease which leaves a stain on the hearts of men; this is why God has given believers a new heart and spirit which cannot be defiled by sin (Eze. 36:26). He has cleansed man; not because of man's works of righteousness, but because of how God determined man's actions to be through Grace.

By God instituting the ritual of atonement under the Mosaic Covenant, it freed His mind from the sins the people have committed and reconciled man back unto Himself. Sin separated man from God (Isa. 59:2); but through the atonement of Jesus Christ, God has cancelled and blotted out the sin of the world "literally" from His mind; but in man's mind sin is still exist as literal. This is not the faith of God!

Those that believe they still sin are not agreeing with what the principle of God's word has said concerning sin. If Christ died for our offenses and was raised from the dead for our justification (our Righteousness and innocence from sins), and God has acquitted man having imputed Righteousness unto him, why do believers look at their works of sin; yet God is not? In the believers mind many believe they sin, unfortunately, they are yet in their sins because they believe this.

1Co 15:17 If Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; you are yet in your sins

A believer that thinks they still sin are not walking by faith; boldly confessing they are yet in their sin. Christ cannot be raised from the dead and yet a believer still sins. By these believers own admission they are yet in their sins; therefore, their faith must be in vain; according to 1Co. 15:17.

Romans 3:4
...yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That you might be justified in your sayings, and might overcome when you are judged.

1 Corinthians 6:11
And such were some of you: but you are washed, but you are sanctified, but you are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
The thing is here....As long as Christians insist on seeing themselves as sinners they will be subject to sin...But when we are born again the old man died! We died to sin, and were born again free from it....So....Walk free or bend you knee to it. Believe the Word. If it says we are 'dead to sin' then we are dead to sin. Don't tell God what He means when He says something.

Active
@Bendito,
Handle your buisness in Christ as He continues to present you to this doubtful world in Righteousness. What you have presented is the Righteousness of the Gospel.

1 Corinthians 15:1
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1 Corinthians 15:2
By which also you are saved, if you keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless you have believed in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:3
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Loyal
@Bendito,
Handle your buisness in Christ as He continues to present you to this doubtful world in Righteousness. What you have presented is the Righteousness of the Gospel.

1 Corinthians 15:1
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1 Corinthians 15:2
By which also you are saved, if you keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless you have believed in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:3
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
He always gives us the truth

Active
The thing is here....As long as Christians insist on seeing themselves as sinners they will be subject to sin...But when we are born again the old man died! We died to sin, and were born again free from it....So....Walk free or bend you knee to it. Believe the Word. If it says we are 'dead to sin' then we are dead to sin. Don't tell God what He means when He says something.
I think it's too easy to oversimplify a subject.

Paul won the Galatians to Christ on his journey, only to learn later they had fallen under the deceptions of the judiazers. In his letter to them he announced they had fallen from grace. Leaving this thread at this point of #6 (this one) would leave someone assuming the church there was doomed for lacking faith in the finished work of Christ. They sinned, so there is no more hope?

Not so. The whole point of that letter was to jolt them back into line. He prayed for them, giving them life that lasted centuries until Muslims, et.al conquered, resulting in extreme persecution and some regretful apostasy.

They sinned, but Paul wooed them back, prayed for them according to the principle he taught at
1 John 5:14-17 (KJV)
14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Adding some beggarly elements of the Law is not a sin unto death. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is. Short of that we should have confidence that we can pray restoring a brother who has sinned.

I wonder. Are some here saying that perhaps a 15 year old boy responds to a revival sermon, believes, is soon baptized, and begins attending church, does not have opportunity to grow in the knowledge of righteous living, that one sin and he goes to hell? I think not. He must deal properly to every failure, pressing on to the perfection standard we are all expected to attain to, even though God has already imputed the righteousness of Christ to every believer, on condition of not casting way our hope and faith in Jesus.

Paul made it clear that we ought to "reckon" ourselves dead to sin. I drove up on a traffic stop where dozens of cops were going vehicle to vehicle with gun in hand. Mine asked me "Do you have any weapon on you or within reach?" I thought long enough for him to ask again. I said "I reckon not, officer." When he got me on my feet he asked it again. I said "I figure I don't, I don't remember putting one in a pocket. I don't arm myself." He searched me, proving my reckoning correct as far as "on me" went. I had forgotten I had a kubaton in the truck cubby holding a key ring to farm gate locks. Well, that got me flat on my face while they searched my vehicle. I was let go. They were searching for someone in a dark pickup who had been shooting out his window when other vehicles passed him. They warned me to answer more carefully in the future.

A person can reckon with perfect accuracy or miss a detail. Sometimes that happens from ignorance or simple forgetfulness. I didn't keep in mind that device is a defensive weapon that could be used offensively. I never had training to use it, nor had used it other than as a key ring. That was no excuse to avoid being held on my belly. However, my explanation was satisfactory. I changed some habits that night. I already have a better answer..."I reckon there might be something in my truck you might regard as a weapon, like a screwdriver and possibly a multi-tool with a knife blade in it in the glove compartment. You are free to search it and me."

Christians are commanded to gain knowledge and other attributes added to our faith so as not to fall from grace, according to 2 Peter 1. No babe in Christ is born again knowing every commandment. One has to submit to learning and practicing what they learn concerning how to live a Christian life. Just that passage in 2 Peter 1 is an example of what a person can lack, leading to dire failure. We must not lack in any of those attributes, as faith alone is not enough to remain innocent.

I do reckon myself dead to sin, but it has taken decades to truly live free of self condemnation, living out from under the cloud of sin consciousness, long fearful of everything that didn't matter, that was under the blood. I had a lot of knowledge, but lacked in other areas, and still am not satisfied I have attained to the high mark of Jesus Christ. So I press on, reckoning I have what was imputed to me, also counting up those things to be added to faith.

Active

We have to be so careful on how we preach this. If we look to Paul as an example, he preached from the perspective of 'NOT PLAYING GOD'.

Please understand that! Paul says 'continue to examine yourselves in fear and trembling' Phil 2:12.

Paul warns us against preaching as you are1 Cor 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

The risk has been explained to you many times before. Surely are not completely ignorant on modern day teaching on accepting sin in some Christian churches. Anyone teaching anything remotely in the direction of not judging ourselves daily for sin, needs to stop. It is what the devil wants. People thinking they are ok with God because they said some magical words or in the correct religion = heresy.

Loyal
Consider this in the "Metaphoric" sense instead of the "Literal" sense;

this is speaking metaphorically; not literally (especially in the mind of man). A man's past, present or future actions/sin cannot be transferred literally

Yes.. they can and will be. Yes the Bible uses metaphors for some things. But the metaphors are used to represent "real" (literal) things.

In order for a theology to be valid it has to agree with ALL the scripture. You can't cherry pick out a few verses you like and ignore the ones about repentance.

Active
@King J,

I believe I can only be as careful as God’s word teaches me. It’s not about playing God, but speaking the principles of what God’s word says. Believers “ARE’ dead to sin in the new man without question; all things have become new. I can only express what I know scripture says; anything else is heresy.

For a believer to “examine” themselves is for them to take a look at themselves through the wisdom of God. They are to repent from anything contrary to what causes them to lack development in the character of Christ. I say what God’s word says, those that say contrary, are those that say and believe they sin though sin has been condemned. Those that say they sin oppose Romans 8:2.

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

You wrote: Paul warns us against preaching as you are1 Cor 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

In context this is a warning of complaining, tempting Christ with foolishness and basically living after the flesh. It’s teaching them to take heed of themselves lest they fall into these types of things; basically the flesh. I’m not living after the flesh and my confidence is in Christ when I preach about His word; because I say what He says. I have not said anything contrary to what the principle of what God’s word teaches.

You said: The risk has been explained to you many times before. Surely are not completely ignorant on modern day teaching on accepting sin in some Christian churches. Anyone teaching anything remotely in the direction of not judging ourselves daily for sin, needs to stop. It is what the devil wants. People thinking they are ok with God because they said some magical words or in the correct religion = heresy.

I do not preach non-accountability. I have consistently taught a believer will be gathered out of the Kingdom of God for their refusal to put on Christ (Mat. 13:41). On the other hand you and many others “do” preach contrary to scripture.

I say scriptures teach: Jesus took away our sins forever (1Joh. 3:5, 6, 9)

You say: Believers still sin.

I say scriptures teach: Jesus healed believers from sin (1Pet. 2:24).

You say: Believers still sin.

I say scriptures teach: Jesus made believers free from the law of sin and death (Rom. 8:2).

You say: Jesus paid the debt or penalty of sins; believers still sin.

Please do not try to be harsh or rash with me without looking at yourself.

Active
@B-A-C,

The sins of the world were placed on Christ from the time of Adam, until the last man on earth spiritually; not literally. The natural man does not understand the things of the Spirit of God because they are foolishness unto them (1Cor.2:14). This is why believers still say they sin despite what scripture teaches. The cross was literal, but the transfer of sins was spiritual.

If a carnal minded man could see the spiritual aspect of it, those believers that say they still sin would be able to understand the transfer in a conscious manifested sense; and would not continue to say that they sin. They wouldn’t have to live by faith in that area of life. But because it was done in the spiritual sense, in God’s mind literally, those believers that say they sin are without understanding. They accept what they “see” in the flesh, and oppose what God’s word says by faith. And I never said the bible doesn’t use metaphors.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Rom 8:24, 25 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man sees, why does he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Jesus has taken away our sn in the spirit. We are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit if God dwells in us. If a believers sees themselves in the flesh they do sin and believe they have transgressed the law of sin. Though scipture teaches otherwise.

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me "free from" the "law of sin" and death.

Loyal
Let's take this back to the beginning....What does "Dead to Sin" actually mean? Like....We died then we were born again....Then we were born again into an entirely different family, under an entirely different set of rules....That means we died to sin, the rules of sin no longer apply to us, and we are no longer slaves to sin. We do not have to succumb to temptation, we do not have to accept the junk that sin brings into this world.

Active
@Bendito,

You Question is: What does "Dead to Sin" actually mean? Let's take this back to the beginning....What does "Dead to Sin" actually mean? Like....We died then we were born again....Then we were born again into an entirely different family, under an entirely different set of rules....That means we died to sin, the rules of sin no longer apply to us, and we are no longer slaves to sin. We do not have to succumb to temptation, we do not have to accept the junk that sin brings into this world.

I personally understand “dead to sin” to mean God is not imputing sin unto believers because we are dead to the world in Christ; therefore dead to the rudiments (Col.2:20). Believers are not “justified by the law” by being dead to the system that governed a person’s life by imputing Sin or Righteousness because of that person’s actions.

Some believers think 1Joh. 3:4 is teaching that believers are under the law and this is why they commit sin. John is actually teaching that Jesus has come to do away with sin. John was using verse 4 as a segue to present the reason Jesus came into the world.

1Jo 3:4, 5 Whosoever commits “sin” transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And you know that Jesus was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Jam 2:9, 10 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are "convinced of the law" as transgressors. For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

This is why believers are dead to sin in Christ; we do not answer to the law. Jesus has taken away our sins and in Him, there is no sin. But as we read from verse 1 in Chapter 3, we are known as “sons of God.” Now are we the “sons of God” (1Joh. 3:2). A person could not be sons of God if they sinned, because sin separates man from God and God does not change (Mal.3:10). The only way a believer could be sons of God is if they are born again and become “dead to the nature of sin” (to Satan’s ownership) and alive to God in Christ. This is why God say, you must be born again.

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Active
@Bendito,
Sorry Bendito I didn't finish answering... You said: That means we died to sin, the rules of sin no longer apply to us, and we are no longer slaves to sin. We do not have to succumb to temptation, we do not have to accept the junk that sin brings into this world.

I continue to teach that it's no longer called sin, but "unfruitful" works.

Sin develops fruit.
Unfruitful works "do not" develop fruit.
Sin separate from God.
Unfruitful works do not separate.
Sin causes present wrath.
Unfruitful works receives patience from wrath.
Sin is imuputed by God.
God is not imputing sin towards Unfruitful works

Loyal
@Bendito,

You Question is: What does "Dead to Sin" actually mean? Let's take this back to the beginning....What does "Dead to Sin" actually mean? Like....We died then we were born again....Then we were born again into an entirely different family, under an entirely different set of rules....That means we died to sin, the rules of sin no longer apply to us, and we are no longer slaves to sin. We do not have to succumb to temptation, we do not have to accept the junk that sin brings into this world.

I personally understand “dead to sin” to mean God is not imputing sin unto believers because we are dead to the world in Christ; therefore dead to the rudiments (Col.2:20). Believers are not “justified by the law” by being dead to the system that governed a person’s life by imputing Sin or Righteousness because of that person’s actions.

Some believers think 1Joh. 3:4 is teaching that believers are under the law and this is why they commit sin. John is actually teaching that Jesus has come to do away with sin. John was using verse 4 as a segue to present the reason Jesus came into the world.

1Jo 3:4, 5 Whosoever commits “sin” transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And you know that Jesus was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Jam 2:9, 10 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are "convinced of the law" as transgressors. For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

This is why believers are dead to sin in Christ; we do not answer to the law. Jesus has taken away our sins and in Him, there is no sin. But as we read from verse 1 in Chapter 3, we are known as “sons of God.” Now are we the “sons of God” (1Joh. 3:2). A person could not be sons of God if they sinned, because sin separates man from God and God does not change (Mal.3:10). The only way a believer could be sons of God is if they are born again and become “dead to the nature of sin” (to Satan’s ownership) and alive to God in Christ. This is why God say, you must be born again.

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Ok...So you think that. Thats ok. No problem...but...What does the Word say? BRG
CSB
Absolutely not! How can we who died to sin still live in it?
CEB
Absolutely not! All of us died to sin. How can we still live in it?
CJB
Heaven forbid! How can we, who have died to sin, still live in it?
CEV
No, we should not! If we are dead to sin, how can we go on sinning?
DARBY
Far be the thought. We who have died to sin, how shall we still live in it?
DLNT
May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
DRA
God forbid. For we that are dead to sin, how shall we live any longer therein?
ERV
Of course not! Our old sinful life ended. It’s dead. So how can we continue living in sin?
EHV
Absolutely not! We died to sin. How can we go on living in it any longer?
ESV
By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?
ESVUK
By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?
EXB
·No [Absolutely not; May it never be; 3:31]! We died to ·our old sinful lives [L sin], so how can we continue living ·with [or in] sin?
GNV
How shall we, that are dead to sin, live yet therein?
GW
That’s unthinkable! As far as sin is concerned, we have died. So how can we still live under sin’s influence?
GNT
Certainly not! We have died to sin—how then can we go on living in it?
HCSB
ICB
No! We died to our old sinful lives. So how can we continue living with sin?
ISV
Of course not! How can we who died as far as sin is concerned go on living in it?
PHILLIPS
Now what is our response to be? Shall we sin to our heart’s content and see how far we can exploit the grace of God? What a ghastly thought! We, who have died to sin—how could we live in sin a moment longer? Have you forgotten that all of us who were baptised into Jesus Christ were, by that very action, sharing in his death? We were dead and buried with him in baptism, so that just as he was raised from the dead by that splendid Revelation of the Father’s power so we too might rise to life on a new plane altogether. If we have, as it were, shared his death, let us rise and live our new lives with him! Let us never forget that our old selves died with him on the cross that the tyranny of sin over us might be broken—for a dead man can safely be said to be immune to the power of sin. And if we were dead men with him we can believe that we shall also be men newly alive with him. We can be sure that the risen Christ never dies again—death’s power to touch him is finished. He died, because of sin, once: he lives for God for ever. In the same way look upon yourselves as dead to the appeal and power of sin but alive and sensitive to the call of God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
JUB
No, in no wise. How shall we that are dead to sin live any longer therein?
KJV
AKJV
LEB
May it never be! How can we who died to sin still live in it?
TLB
Of course not! Should we keep on sinning when we don’t have to? For sin’s power over us was broken when we became Christians and were baptized to become a part of Jesus Christ; through his death the power of your sinful nature was shattered.
MSG
So what do we do? Keep on sinning so God can keep on forgiving? I should hope not! If we’ve left the country where sin is sovereign, how can we still live in our old house there? Or didn’t you realize we packed up and left there for good? That is what happened in baptism. When we went under the water, we left the old country of sin behind; when we came up out of the water, we entered into the new country of grace—a new life in a new land!
MEV
God forbid! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
MOUNCE
By no means! How can we who died to sin go on living in it?
NOG
That’s unthinkable! As far as sin is concerned, we have died. So how can we still live under sin’s influence?
NABRE
How can we who died to sin yet live in it?
NASB
May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
NCV
No! We died to our old sinful lives, so how can we continue living with sin?
NET
NIRV
Not at all! As far as sin is concerned, we are dead. So how can we keep on sinning?
NIV
By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?

Ok..None of these versions even indicate God imputing righteousness to us, but our disconnect from sin. Another verse?

BRG
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
CSB
So, you too consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
CEB
In the same way, you also should consider yourselves dead to sin but alive for God in Christ Jesus.
CJB
In the same way, consider yourselves to be dead to sin but alive for God, by your union with the Messiah Yeshua.
CEV
In the same way, you must think of yourselves as dead to the power of sin. But Christ Jesus has given life to you, and you live for God.
DARBY
So also *ye*, reckon yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
DLNT
So also you, be counting yourselves to be dead to sin but living to God in Christ Jesus.
DRA
So do you also reckon, that you are dead to sin, but alive unto God, in Christ Jesus our Lord.
ERV
In the same way, you should see yourselves as being dead to the power of sin and alive for God through Christ Jesus.
EHV
In the same way also consider yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
ESV
So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
ESVUK
So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
EXB
In the same way, you should ·see [count; consider] yourselves as being dead to ·the power of sin [L sin] and alive ·with [to; with reference to] God ·through [or in; in union with] Christ Jesus.
GNV
Likewise think ye also, that ye are dead to sin, but are alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord.
GW
So consider yourselves dead to sin’s power but living for God in the power Christ Jesus gives you.
GNT
In the same way you are to think of yourselves as dead, so far as sin is concerned, but living in fellowship with God through Christ Jesus.
HCSB
So, you too consider yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
ICB
In the same way, you should see yourselves as being dead to the power of sin and alive with God through Christ Jesus.
ISV
In the same way, you too must continuously consider yourselves dead as far as sin is concerned, but living for God through the Messiah Jesus.
PHILLIPS
Now what is our response to be? Shall we sin to our heart’s content and see how far we can exploit the grace of God? What a ghastly thought! We, who have died to sin—how could we live in sin a moment longer? Have you forgotten that all of us who were baptised into Jesus Christ were, by that very action, sharing in his death? We were dead and buried with him in baptism, so that just as he was raised from the dead by that splendid Revelation of the Father’s power so we too might rise to life on a new plane altogether. If we have, as it were, shared his death, let us rise and live our new lives with him! Let us never forget that our old selves died with him on the cross that the tyranny of sin over us might be broken—for a dead man can safely be said to be immune to the power of sin. And if we were dead men with him we can believe that we shall also be men newly alive with him. We can be sure that the risen Christ never dies again—death’s power to touch him is finished. He died, because of sin, once: he lives for God for ever. In the same way look upon yourselves as dead to the appeal and power of sin but alive and sensitive to the call of God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
JUB
Likewise also reckon yourselves to be truly dead unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ, Jesus, our Lord.
KJV
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
AKJV
LEB
So also you, consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
TLB
So look upon your old sin nature as dead and unresponsive to sin, and instead be alive to God, alert to him, through Jesus Christ our Lord.
MSG
Could it be any clearer? Our old way of life was nailed to the cross with Christ, a decisive end to that sin-miserable life—no longer at sin’s every beck and call! What we believe is this: If we get included in Christ’s sin-conquering death, we also get included in his life-saving resurrection. We know that when Jesus was raised from the dead it was a signal of the end of death-as-the-end. Never again will death have the last word. When Jesus died, he took sin down with him, but alive he brings God down to us. From now on, think of it this way: Sin speaks a dead language that means nothing to you; God speaks your mother tongue, and you hang on every word. You are dead to sin and alive to God. That’s what Jesus did.
MEV
Likewise, you also consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
MOUNCE
So you too consider yourselves to be dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
NOG
So consider yourselves dead to sin’s power but living for God in the power Christ Yeshua gives you.
NABRE
Consequently, you too must think of yourselves as [being] dead to sin and living for God in Christ Jesus.
NASB
Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
NCV
In the same way, you should see yourselves as being dead to the power of sin and alive with God through Christ Jesus.
NET
So you too consider yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
NIRV
In the same way, consider yourselves to be dead as far as sin is concerned. Now you believe in Christ Jesus. So consider yourselves to be alive as far as God is concerned.
NIV
In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Hmmm It says we are to see ourselves as dead to sin...If you die, you are dead to ALL that is in this world, yes? If you die to sin, it has no power over you either.....But there is no indication that God imputes or does not impute to you....It tells us how we should view our present state.

Active
@Bendito,
You actually didn't have to get so dramatic... If the Righteousness of a believer is for him to live by faith; then as the scripture say, the Just shall live by faith. Not just walk, but "LIVE" by faith. We are to call those things which are not, as though they were. If you speak and see things after the flesh, it's not of faith and a person will say they sin. If we are dead to sin, we have no consciousness of sin.

Psa 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of God: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Loyal
@Bendito,
You actually didn't have to get so dramatic... If the Righteousness of a believer is for him to live by faith; then as the scripture say, the Just shall live by faith. Not just walk, but "LIVE" by faith. We are to call those things which are not, as though they were. If you speak and see things after the flesh, it's not of faith and a person will say they sin. If we are dead to sin, we have no consciousness of sin.

Psa 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of God: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Dramatic? LOL Where did I get dramatic? It seems you got the point though. Scripture helps doesn't it?