• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Men and Women working roles

Staff Member
In modern day society one often sees 'traditional roles' reversed even within Christian homes

The woman goes out to work all day, bringing in the income, whilst the man becomes the stay at home house husband looking after the children.

Is it just being legalistic to suggest this may be wrong?
Does it matter?

Loyal
I personally believe God created specific roles for men and women.

I believe God gave women wombs and breasts for a reason. I believe he made women
more sensitive, nurturing, and better multi-taskers for a reason.

It's a fact that 'most' men, are physically stronger than 'most' women. I believe men
are better at making 'quick decisions' (not necessarily always the 'right' decision) but sometimes
quick is more important than right. If someone is pointing a gun at me, and I have a gun, I'm probably
not going to wait to see if they're going to pull the trigger, or if it's a real gun, or a BB gun.

Women generally have more insight and compassion than men. Most women build relationship
easier than men.

All of these reasons are why women are better at staying home and raising children, and why men
are better at going off an fighting wars, building things, and growing crops.

I believe God made men to to be the protector and provider for the family.

But feminism has been around for so long now (a couple of generations here in the US) that it's
just an accepted part of "today's society".

I personally believe this is one of the biggest reasons homosexuality is wrong. In same sex
relationships, one of the women has to assume the role of the "husband", or one of the men
has to assume the role of the "wife". Which means, they aren't doing the role God created them to do.

Keep in mind, these are blanket statements, some women do some things better than some men,
and some men do some things better than some women, but as a generality... God made men to
be the providers and protectors of the family.

Is it a sin? I think it can be. If a man is physically and mentally capable of going out and being the
provider, but lets his wife do it... it can be laziness.

On the other hand, there are some women who like "taking charge". They like submissive men,
and they want to make all the financial decisions for the family. I believe these women are just
as guilty as the men who let them take take the position of spiritual authority from them.

Does it matter? Hmmm.... does any sin matter? I've been in some churches that say this is
as much living in sin as homosexuality. (for the reasons given above).

Loyal
A couple of somewhat humorous comments were made about this recently.

=== By the way - none of these verses are in the Bible - at least not as they are written below ===

It is not good for woman to be alone, I will maker her a helper.

For the wife is the head of the husband, as Christ is also the head of the church, He Himself being the savior of the body.

For a man ought to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of woman; but the man is the glory of woman.
For woman does not originate from man, but man from woman;
for indeed woman was not created for the man's sake, but man for the woman's sake.

In the same way, you husbands, be submissive to your own wives so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their husbands,
as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior.
Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses;
but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.
For in this way in former times the holy men also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own wives;
just as Abraham obeyed Sarah, calling her lord, and you have become his children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.
You wives in the same way, live with your husbands in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since he is a man; and show him honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.

=====================================================
I'm not sure if there is a feminist Bible, but if there is, the verses above are probably in it :)

Active
For me personally I don't mind working & contributing to the house. If I ever get married I won't have an issue being fully employed (40 hours a week). I believe it relieves some stress in ends can't be made with one job. As far as the man staying home with the kids (my daughter is 21 now) I'm not so sure about that. Men are physically strong for a reason.

Times have changed but Gods word never will no matter how many people disagree with it.

Loyal
The reasons behind who stays at home can make it a good or bad decision. There can be plenty of work at home for any house caretaker, be it a man or a women, as long as those at home aren't lazy, and be a good example to those who they care for at home with them.

Loyal
In modern day society one often sees 'traditional roles' reversed even within Christian homes

The woman goes out to work all day, bringing in the income, whilst the man becomes the stay at home house husband looking after the children.

Does it matter?

Just my opinion here...no scripture to back it up......working roles are not all that important...Each partner in a marriage should take the job he or she is best at. For example I like making money but I'm not good at managing it..."Its the mans role to manage the money in a marriage!" LOL If I handled the money we would have gone broke years ago. Fortunately my Lady is a wonder at that job...Guess who handles it? She's best, she handles it...I love to cook, so I cook a lot... God made men one way and women another...Men like to be 'providers' and 'protectors' and women are far better nurturers than men are so they make better mothers than men do.... It's the spiritual and emotional differences that make the most difference...that are of the most importance....A woman completes a man, who is only half way to getting things done right without her.....On the other hand she is only half way to getting tings done right without him..... Not all that important who goes out to work and who stays home

Loyal
Who cooks for the family... both men and women cooked in the Bible. Not sure that makes a difference.
The Proverbs 31 woman manages her husband's things (even money) I don't think this is a problem either.
But who provides for and protects the family? I think the Bible makes it clear who was made to do that.

There was a time I was disabled after a bad motorcycle accident, and my wife had to do it. But when I was able,
I took it up again. Surely there are some physically (and mentally) disabled men in this world, but for everyone
else... we don't have an excuse.

God gave women breasts for a reason, men can't nurse babies.

This is an example of feminism being in our society so long, the younger generation doesn't even see it as sin anymore.
I fear it will the same homosexuality, transgender sexuality, and "victimless child molestation" (the next big item being
discussed in US leadership). These things will just become a part of society, and in a generation or two, they won't
even be seen as sin anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
Who cooks for the family... both men and women cooked in the Bible. Not sure that makes a difference.
The Proverbs 31 woman manages her husband's things (even money) I don't think this is a problem either.
But who provides for and protects the family? I think the Bible makes it clear who was made to do that.

There was a time I was disabled after a bad motorcycle accident, and my wife had to do it. But when I was able,
I took it up again. Surely there are some physically (and mentally) disabled men in this world, but for everyone
else... we don't have an excuse.

God gave women breasts for a reason, men can't nurse babies.

This is an example of feminism being in our society so long, the younger generation doesn't even see it as sin anymore.
I fear it will the same homosexuality, transgender sexuality, and "victimless child molestation" (the next big item being
discussed in US leadership). These things will just become a part of society, and in a generation or two, they won't
even be seen as sin anymore.

Yup The bible says that God is our provider...We are not supposed to work to make a living but so that we have something to give.
John 6:27
Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

Acts 20:35
I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Ephesians 4:28
Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

But God is our provider.....Matthew 6:31-33 “Therefore don’t be anxious, saying, ‘What will we eat?’, ‘What will we drink?’ or, ‘With what will we be clothed? ‘For the Gentiles seek after all these things, for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first God’s Kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things will be given to you as well.

2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, that you, always having all sufficiency in everything, may abound to every good work.

Philippians 4:19 – My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

I did say above that women and men differ in their roles too....Men can do things women cannot and women can do things men cannot...But many things are interchangeable too....A woman can tear down a tree just like a man can...She just takes smaller bites.

Loyal
Gen 2:18 Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him."

A helper is one who gives aid. Nothing wrong with women in the work force, in helping her husband. The man can still be the head of his house hold as the one who prays and protects his family whether he is at work or home. I for one would much prefer going to work than to stay home with all the kids. That is much harder do!!

Loyal
Gen 2:18 Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him."

A helper is one who gives aid. Nothing wrong with women in the work force, in helping her husband. The man can still be the head of his house hold as the one who prays and protects his family whether he is at work or home. I for one would much prefer going to work than to stay home with all the kids. That is much harder do!!

Genesis 2:18 (AMP)
18 Now the Lord God said, “It is not good (beneficial) for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper [one who balances him—a counterpart who is suitable and complementary for him.”

It is more accurate to say She is one who helps and completes the man She helps him by seeing the sides of things he does not see...Between the two of them and God the man sees the complete picture....She is his other half.....Adam was not just male when God made him...
Genesis 1:27 (CJB)
27 So God created humankind in his own image;
in the image of God he created him:
male and female he created them. This was before God took Havah out of Adam...Adam was the name of the two. Remember Woman came out of man....That means, when she was made the man gave up a part of himself and she brings it back to him.

The role issue is one I am presently having. My baby Christian husband wants to know what the bible says specifically about his role but I can't find it all together like proverbs 31. He wants to know his FULL role. Thank Jesus Christ for saving him but man some of the questions that he asks. I am really having to study ALOT more than I usually am for some but this one has me stumped. There are scattered verses but he knows what a proverbs 31 woman is supposed to be and he wants I guess an exact description of what he is to do.

Loyal
The role issue is one I am presently having. My baby Christian husband wants to know what the bible says specifically about his role but I can't find it all together like proverbs 31. He wants to know his FULL role. Thank Jesus Christ for saving him but man some of the questions that he asks. I am really having to study ALOT more than I usually am for some but this one has me stumped. There are scattered verses but he knows what a proverbs 31 woman is supposed to be and he wants I guess an exact description of what he is to do.
After the Lord created man, he planted a garden, and he put man into this to garden to guard, and protect it.

Gen 2:15 And the Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to tend and guard and keep it. (AMP)

When we read the Book Genesis we find that Adam, and Eve had their fellowship with God in the garden. So, the garden was the environment in which both the husband, and wife had communion with the Lord. Adam's job was to protect that garden from intruders that could disrupt that communion they had with their maker. This is the husbands job in a marriage relationship, to make sure the devil has no place.

Loyal

Baby Christian hubby does have a role...His role is to get to know Jesus...In getting to know Him he will learn how to glorify Him...If he wants to know his role in your marriage, all he has to do is to emulate Jesus. Jesus gave and gave and gave. Jesus always put His bride first...When a man marries there is no me...Its only she....Can he do that?

Staff Member
@Mconard

Dear sister. Hard for you to tell your hubby on how to be a man of God when you're a woman of God! It'd be the same way if the roles were reversed. He needs to connect with other men of God.

We do have a Forum here that is for men only just like we have one for women. I don't know how comfortable you'd be with that, but we do have husbands & wives who are members here!
Here's a quote from a member here who posted in the men's forum about 4 years ago. I hope it helps and you might share it with your husband. Keep in mind...we men are simple folks :)

"Listen , God told me once . That if a man would do three things , God would take care of everything else in that man life.
1-take family to church
2- read the bible with family
3-Get on your knees and pray with family

I believe it will bless any man and their families."

Dear sister. Men and women are wired a bit differently :) but when we as a family can keep Jesus Christ as our hub. We become secure in His faithfulness and are guided in the way He wants us to walk. When issues come up and they do in a family. If either spouse turns first to God the resource/source by which things get fixed rightly instead of towards friends who just might have their own issues/agendas. The issues get fixed instead of confused!

As I find and/or am led to other material, I'll send it your way.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
mar54.gif

Loyal

Does it matter?

So sister @Fragrant Grace , since you started this thread, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Loyal
So sister @Fragrant Grace , since you started this thread, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Brad I know you asked this of Fragrant Grace but I had to weigh in on this.

LOL Are we talking jobs here? Or roles? I was a miner, a heavy equipment operator, trucker...I was used to fourteen hour days...I worked hard....But.....I would come home and see how tired my Lady was raising four girls.....It did not take long to see that she worked far harder than I ever did....My work was physical, but still I worked sitting on my butt....She was on her feet for hours every day, cleaning , cooking, and all of the domestic jobs around the house....Those are Jobs....She still had a role to play as mother wife and help for her hugsband....I would come home tired too but it was my job....I still had a role to play as father, hugsband, spiritual leader, etc Jobs are not roles.

Staff Member
Greetings @Brad Huber @Bendito

Thank you for responding here. I have just seen your messages.

I am off to work now (I'm a registered nurse) then later I'll be home to be a busy mummy to my 5 children......once all is quiet this evening I will write a reply. (Just adding this information as it's perhaps pertinent to the thread ):smile:

Staff Member
Jobs are not roles.

Greetings gentlemen @Brad Humber @Bendito

Okay I suppose my questions would perhaps be better worded,

Should men be the bread winners?

Should women be at home looking after the children especially if they are young?

What if the husband won't work and that forces the women to take employment?

What do the scriptures say?

Loyal
Greetings gentlemen @Brad Humber @Bendito

Okay I suppose my questions would perhaps be better worded,

Should men be the bread winners?

Should women be at home looking after the children especially if they are young?

What if the husband won't work and that forces the women to take employment?

What do the scriptures say?

You asked "Should men be the bread winners?"

Christians usually use this scripture about working....2 Thessalonians 3:10 "If you will not work you should not eat" The context though is that the Christians at the time were living in a commune situation, in that they shared everything..They had 'Slackers!" as that bald guy on Back to the Future would say. These idle people were little more than parasites on the people....
As to Christians 'making a liviing' this is not really scriptural....Shocking? I was blown away too...But look at it.
We are God's children, parents provide all of their children's needs. Jehovah Jireh is our provider, not us. You already know the scriptures to this point...."My God shall provide ALL your need according to His riches in glory" Matthew 6:31-32 Don’t worry and say, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ The people who don’t know God keep trying to get these things, and your Father in heaven knows you need them. Luke 12:31 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need. Psalm 34:10 The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

Should I give you more? Psalm 84:11-12 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, How blessed is the man who trusts in You!
1 Peter 4:11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

18. 2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;

OK You get my point....Find the rest yourself A mans job, and his role are pretty much one and the same....Get to know God, so he can glorify Him. Be a spiritual leader for his family

You asked; "Should women be at home looking after the children especially if they are young?"

Absolutely! Women should be barefoot and pregnant.....Joking here....an old poor joke I'm afraid

As I posted above, women work harder at home raising the kids and keeping house than a man does at his job...
Does it make any real sense to do all this then go out and slave to make someone else rich? To go our and works for someone else does not make you any kind of rich, it does not even meet your needs...With your husbands income added to your own you still come up with more month than money twelve times a year....Is this so?
Yes I do realize that in the Babylonian money system of this world both may need to work. It takes time to learn how to lean on God to provide for all your needs...But we do not belong in the Babylonian system...We are not of this world. In our world God is our provider....Not Babylon. While we're learning to lean on Father for all of our needs we do have to do what we need to so we can feed the kids and the grandcritters. We do have to learn though.

You ask "What if the husband won't work and that forces the women to take employment?"

Then he needs a swift kick to get him breathing. Sorry I am not patient at all with a lazy person. :angry:
Especially if he has a wife and kids depending on him