• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Marriage

Administrator
Staff Member
An interesting thought came to me. Common people think about marriage and their "who is" the wife / husband that GOD has chosen for them. They'll think of the commandments GOD set before us in Scripture. We all think of these things eventually. It is common to have a big wedding with the two families joined together. It is common to do this ceremony inside the church. It is also common to witness "traditional" weddings where everything is traditionally structured and in order according to the same old tradition handed down from genreation to generation even though the tradition is not Scriptural (or most of it).

Here is a thought. Trivia as well. Please provide your Scripture and explanation when responding.

Is it Scriptural for a man and a woman to have a personal ceremony between themselves before GOD or not? Is this acceptable? Does Scripture require a feast ceremony or a minister to join them together before the Lord?

I recall nothing in Scripture that states a pastor / minister must be the one to join two together in Holy Matrimony. I recall nothing in Scripture that says anyone else aside GOD is required to be there (and for GOD is always there).

Do you agree or disagree?

First Marriage

Genesis 2:22-24

22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. 23 The man said, "This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, 'for she was taken out of man."

24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Submission between wife / husband

Ephesians 5:22-33

22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. 31"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." 32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Passion Control (unmarried)

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 / 36-38

8Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

36If anyone thinks he is acting improperly toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if she is getting along in years and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married. 37But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind not to marry the virgin—this man also does the right thing. 38So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does even better.

Premarital Sex is Wrong

Ephesians 5:3

3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

Galatians 5:19

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;

1 Corinthians 6:18

18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.

Question Again:

Is it Scriptural for a man and a woman to have a personal ceremony between themselves before GOD or not? Is this acceptable? Does Scripture require a feast ceremony or a minister to join them together before the Lord?

Scripture does not require it nor does it condemn it, it is perfectly alright to have a celebration/cermony.
I do not know if a Pastor/Minister is required, though I think it is a beautiful thing to have a Man of God perform the ceremony and like in baptism make a public proclamation of your love for one another and do this in prescence of Gods' people.
I was married by a Pastor in a public setting, it felt righ for me and my wife to do so.

Some scripture referring to marriage and weddings

Jesus' first miracle was at wedding CF: John. Chpt. 2

Jesus compares Heaven to a wedding feast/celebration CF: Matt. Chpt. 22

Jesus compares a wedding to his second coming, CF: Luke. Chpt. 12

Hope this is helpful.

Peace be with you,
Your Brother in Christ,
John.

Obeying the Law is scriptural...

God's Word says,
"Obey your leaders and submit to their authority." Heb 13:17
"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men..." 1 Pet 2:13

Legally, the bare requirement for marriage, (as far as I know from my married friends), is to sign a certificate of marriage in the company of two witnesses and either a J.P, a celebrant, or a Pastor. Anything else is optional. So no, getting married in solitude with only God as witness is not legal according to the laws of (at least) my country, and therefore can't be God's will either because the Bible tells us to submit to every authority.

The legalities regarding marriage have changed through history, but this is the way it is today! :love:

Chad said:

I recall nothing in Scripture that states a pastor / minister must be the one to join two together in Holy Matrimony. I recall nothing in Scripture that says anyone else aside GOD is required to be there (and for GOD is always there).

Do you agree or disagree?

Dear Chad;

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth".. Genesis 2:22-24, God stresses man and woman to be joined as one is important biblically, thus He created the annointing of marriage.

Otherwise, without the annointing of marriage, living unmarried, sleeping with each other, having children, and even having affairs with another besides your husband or wife, goes against God's Word. The annointing of marriage is a fundamental, stable, witness to "family".

This is the part where I disagree, brother. I also cannot find the term pastor/minister/priest (and Trinity) in the bible, but the pastor/minister/priest are the representatives accountable to public testimony, shepherds of God's flock, children, who join the man and woman together as one, husband and wife.

Your servant in Christ Jesus. :love:

Last edited:
i was thinking that how can it be considered a holy matrimony when there is no holy man presiding over the ceremony.

I have done it -being married- both ways and have had the experience of the blessing that God gives in a marriage where the man of God officiates the ceremony and in my opinion, i could not figure out anyone would not want the blessing of God on their marriage given through God's chosen velssel -the man of God....