• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Love God Greatly

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Administrator
Staff Member
Solomon continues his search for the meaning of life by exploring pleasure, seeking joy, and elevating his accomplishments. Solomon experimented with wine and amusement. He sought an abundant life in pleasure and entertainment. When that failed, he set his sights on purposeful work, achieving accomplishments, and amassing great wealth.

Solomon’s desire for gratification through pleasure led to his drift away from God. When he tried to use work and accomplishments as a source of meaning, he was disappointed. A believer’s heart will never be fully satisfied with pleasure, earthly accomplishments, or acquisitions. The more we have what we want, the more we will want what we don’t have. Only God can completely satisfy our hearts.

Ecclesiastes 2:1-8
Pleasures Are Meaningless

2 I said to myself, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.” But that also proved to be meaningless. 2 “Laughter,” I said, “is madness. And what does pleasure accomplish?” 3 I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was good for people to do under the heavens during the few days of their lives.

4 I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. 5 I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. 7 I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. 8 I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired male and female singers, and a harem as well—the delights of a man’s heart.

You Version Devotional