• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Lost Hope

Please pray for a dear friend of my, his name is David. One of the hardest things for me being an encourager is coming to a place where I am at a loss to know how to encourage someone when they lost hope and stopped dreaming.

Please pray that God heals Davids heart from the past hurt and brings him a reknewed sense of hope. May he learn to dream and trust God again.

His pain runs deep.

Prayers can move mountains and soften the hardest hearts.

Blessings
Comingjoy

Update, Though my friend still struggles he decided to NOT let the enemy drag him down any more. Saying it and doing are two different things.

He still needs our prayers as though he is able to worship God the messages dont seem to speak to him at all no matter who is speaking.

Pray the grip of the enemy is lifted and that my friends heart is softened from the grip of bitterness and unforgiveness towards those who have hurt him so that he can once again hear from God.

Life can be difficult even when thinga are good. When things are not so good life can be hard.

In all my years I have trusted in the Lord when things, situations were hard. Today I bless his Name for His care.

All who look unto Him, will never be ashamed!

Lord Jesus, help David focus on You and You only. Guide him gently into Your holy presence. Restore to him the joy of Your salvation and sustain him with a willing spirit from this time forth, now and forever. Establish him and send support from Your heavenly throne above. Amen

Prayer is good but sometimes we need to start doing what the Word tells us to do. I too used to be one of those Christians that always sat around praying for this and that to happen, but wasn't doing what the Word says we are to do for the things I was believing for. And I'm talking about serious stuff like getting healed and becoming more prosperous. Whatever the circumstances are, your friend has his answers in the Bible. Whether its money, healing, a new mate, fresh ideas, its all in the Word. You can only pray so much for someone. Praying is good but you also better be ready to move and follow what the Word commands. Otherwise you'll just wallow in self pity and blame God for your problems and even in some cases use Him as the excuse why you can't overcome the problem. If we know how to overcome a situation, we need to be more active in showing people in the Word how to do it. We need to do our part as well. Jesus spent more time speaking to His circumstances than praying about them. And we need to follow the Master's example.

Last edited:
We are each responsibile for our own actions and yes that requires we do our part. Sometimes life can deliver a blow that knocks us off balance, it is when we hope we have friends that will pray us through it. I have been blessed with such friends. We are to uplift each other in prayer whether or not the person we pray for does what they need too is not for us to say. I for one know that it is because of prayers of others on my behalf that helped me to do what needed to be done.

My friend sad to say is not at that place yet. So I pray and in praying for him, hope he will return to Christ and trust Hiim again.

We are each responsibile for our own actions and yes that requires we do our part. Sometimes life can deliver a blow that knocks us off balance, it is when we hope we have friends that will pray us through it. I have been blessed with such friends. We are to uplift each other in prayer whether or not the person we pray for does what they need too is not for us to say. I for one know that it is because of prayers of others on my behalf that helped me to do what needed to be done.

My friend sad to say is not at that place yet. So I pray and in praying for him, hope he will return to Christ and trust Hiim again.

I agree with what you are saying but you should also be aware that sometimes the Lord will tell a believer to stop praying for someone because that person has not done what God has instructed them to do. This has happened to many believers where the Lord told them in their heart to stop praying about the matter because that person isn't doing what they were told to do by the Lord. I'm not saying that's the case here, but its something to keep in mind. If the Lord tells someone to quit praying about someone, then you quit praying. I've never had the Lord tell me to do this but it could happen one day. Many Christians unfortunately just sit around and don't even see that their prayers get answered by Christians God puts in their path to show them how to fix their mess or how to refocus their attention on the finished work of Christ on the Cross. People miss God all the time like this because their pride gets in the way. God certainly will answer your prayers but you need to do your part to receive. Many Christians don't receive because they never think that another believer could be the one bringing their answers from God. I can't even begin to tell you how many believers God has used to get what I needed. And it seemed like foolishness at the time but I walked into the light and followed through with what I was shown.

Last edited:
I agree with what you are saying but you should also be aware that sometimes the Lord will tell a believer to stop praying for someone because that person has not done what God has instructed them to do. This has happened to many believers where the Lord told them in their heart to stop praying about the matter because that person isn't doing what they were told to do by the Lord.

Sorry but I'm trying to understand what you are saying .. and from what I understand you think God tells us to quit praying?

And comingjoy .. do let us know how things go .. still praying for him and you as well.

Sorry but I'm trying to understand what you are saying .. and from what I understand you think God tells us to quit praying?

Its a bit more complicated than people think. Sometimes He will tell us to quit praying about the same situation for someone who refuses to do what God has asked them to do. Only a person knows that in their heart. When people don't even take a step towards the light when God shows it, well all the praying in the world is not going to do anything for that situation that's been given its answer. Many people have had their prayers answered and continue to dismiss the answer and keep asking others to pray for them, or keep praying for the same situation themselves. But when you get the answer you need to get off your dumper and start doing what the Lord told you to do. God does not delay in answering prayers the way many people think. Not seeing something manifest, that you've been believing for, is a whole other story though.

Last edited:
Lord, God of Heaven and Earth, please unlock the bond that troubles David, in Your time and in Your way.

God did tell Jeremiah in chapters 7,11 & again in 14 to stop praying for the people but, if you notice Jeremiah still prayed.
Yes we are to do our parts but, sometimes the pain is so deep that it is hard to refocus. I have been there. That battle of the mind is a huge battle but one that CAN be overcome and won.

Sometimes it is hard to take that first step back towards God.

There are times in our lives where we do pray more often for someone but, when someone is struggling and hurting shouldnt we be uplifting them in prayer? YES, Praise God He did NOT give up on us. We each have choices just sometimes encouragement and or prayers from others help us to make the right ones or get us back on the right track.

I am sad to say my friend is not wanting to let go of the past hurts. Because of this sad to say he will continue to struggle. By praying for him I hope he will let God back in his life to heal him. Praying also helps me to remember to be compassionate and remember I am not perfect. Prayer more often than not changes the one praying more than the one who is being prayed for.

Gods word states to pray WITHOUT ceasing.

God did tell Jeremiah in chapters 7,11 & again in 14 to stop praying for the people but, if you notice Jeremiah still prayed.
Yes we are to do our parts but, sometimes the pain is so deep that it is hard to refocus. I have been there. That battle of the mind is a huge battle but one that CAN be overcome and won.

Sometimes it is hard to take that first step back towards God.

There are times in our lives where we do pray more often for someone but, when someone is struggling and hurting shouldnt we be uplifting them in prayer? YES, Praise God He did NOT give up on us. We each have choices just sometimes encouragement and or prayers from others help us to make the right ones or get us back on the right track.

I am sad to say my friend is not wanting to let go of the past hurts. Because of this sad to say he will continue to struggle. By praying for him I hope he will let God back in his life to heal him. Praying also helps me to remember to be compassionate and remember I am not perfect. Prayer more often than not changes the one praying more than the one who is being prayed for.

Gods word states to pray WITHOUT ceasing.

I'll be praying for David. I feel a sort of familiarity with his situation as you've described it. There was a period of time where I let life get the best of me and had turned my back on God. I was fortunate enough to eventually climb out of that hole and finally realized that there's a lesson in everything. I hope David gets to that point. Sometimes the struggle is necessary for us to grow stronger in Christ, and sometimes it takes a period of darkness to realize that we need Him. He's lucky he has someone in his life like you :)

Its a bit more complicated than people think. Sometimes He will tell us to quit praying about the same situation for someone who refuses to do what God has asked them to do. Only a person knows that in their heart. When people don't even take a step towards the light when God shows it, well all the praying in the world is not going to do anything for that situation that's been given its answer. Many people have had their prayers answered and continue to dismiss the answer and keep asking others to pray for them, or keep praying for the same situation themselves. But when you get the answer you need to get off your dumper and start doing what the Lord told you to do. God does not delay in answering prayers the way many people think. Not seeing something manifest, that you've been believing for, is a whole other story though.

I do believe that God helps those who help themselves. That being said, sometimes there are situations where people are in such a dark place that they can't make it out on their own. And when you're in that place, you can't always see clearly. It's not an excuse, but sometimes it happens. It takes time. I think the least we can do is continue to pray for David...Pray that he is able to see God in his life, no matter how dire the circumstances, pray that he is able to see himself clearly and to identify what's really at the heart of it all. If he is unable to hold on to hope, then we can.

I'll be praying for David. I feel a sort of familiarity with his situation as you've described it. There was a period of time where I let life get the best of me and had turned my back on God. I was fortunate enough to eventually climb out of that hole and finally realized that there's a lesson in everything. I hope David gets to that point. Sometimes the struggle is necessary for us to grow stronger in Christ, and sometimes it takes a period of darkness to realize that we need Him. He's lucky he has someone in his life like you :)

I can relate very much to what you said.

I do believe that God helps those who help themselves. That being said, sometimes there are situations where people are in such a dark place that they can't make it out on their own. And when you're in that place, you can't always see clearly. It's not an excuse, but sometimes it happens. It takes time. I think the least we can do is continue to pray for David...Pray that he is able to see God in his life, no matter how dire the circumstances, pray that he is able to see himself clearly and to identify what's really at the heart of it all. If he is unable to hold on to hope, then we can.

Well I don't believe in the ole line of "God helps those that help themselves." Its not a scripture. But many people do just sit around and already have their answer from God on what has to be done. Simply put, there are Christians who sit around and ask everyone to pray for them yet they don't open the Bible. They don;t do anything the Lord tells us to do in the Bible and then just deceive themselves into thinking that the answer never came from God. I've been there myself. I know what its like. All the praying in the world doesn't do anything for a person if they aren't looking to receive the answer. I mean if you are asking the Lord for something, you need to be ready to receive it. A lot of times, it comes in the smallest and most foolish of packages.

For example, when I first turned to the Lord to be healed, it started with going to a church where Christians believed in healing. For about 5 weeks I blew off a friend repeatedly about going to this church. 5 weeks! Kept telling people to pray for me and all that stuff and the whole time I was wasting time because I wasn't willing to see where the road was. Well that first service led to so many different things that if I listed them all would just be another incredible testimony of how great the Lord Jesus Christ is. I went from not having read the Bible in years to doing it regularly and then to have been privilged to have been shown hundreds of incredible faith sermons. But you know what the key was? Following through on my mind. Every time the Lord showed me light, I went into it and followed through with it. And the Lord kept showing me more and more and does to this day. Many Christians are looking for an angel to appear or for a supernatural experience when they pray. And it does happen sometimes, so I'm not taking that possibility away. But its not the norm. Many times, the Lord starts with something that just appears so small and insignificant or foolish. It could be something as simple as going to a service or being led to a faith sermon, etc. So when you pray, you have to be ready to receive like this.

All the praying in the world doesn't do anything for a person if they aren't looking to receive the answer. I mean if you are asking the Lord for something, you need to be ready to receive it. A lot of times, it comes in the smallest and most foolish of packages.

That's what I mean when I say God helps those who help themselves, even though it may not be in scripture, I think there's some truth to it. I agree that many people choose to ignore God's will because it doesn't come in the package they want/expect. We are simple humans that don't always comprehend the enormity and omniscient nature of God. It does take an open heart and an open mind to receive the will of God.

I still don't see the harm in praying for someone in need, even if they don't want it or think they need it, or believe it's meaningless. We all choose who we pray for, what we pray about, etc. This isn't an argument, just my personal opinion, just like you have yours.

Thank you all who are willing to pray.
This is the pray forum, I asked prayer for a friend, if one does not want to pray please do not discourage those who do.

No one knows how many prayers are being uplifted on ones own behalf.

I have been where my friend is. Whether he decides to let go of the hurt or not is not for me to say as I am held accountable for what I do and say.

It is sad to less compassion shown for those in need. May I never NOT pray for another rather it is just once or numerous times one looses counts.

That's what I mean when I say God helps those who help themselves, even though it may not be in scripture, I think there's some truth to it. I agree that many people choose to ignore God's will because it doesn't come in the package they want/expect. We are simple humans that don't always comprehend the enormity and omniscient nature of God. It does take an open heart and an open mind to receive the will of God.

I still don't see the harm in praying for someone in need, even if they don't want it or think they need it, or believe it's meaningless. We all choose who we pray for, what we pray about, etc. This isn't an argument, just my personal opinion, just like you have yours.

I do agree there is truth to God helping those who help themselves, so sorry if I gave you the wrong impression about that. I don't see any harm in praying for someone either but I think Christians could be a lot more helpful if they show the person how the Word has the answer. Many Christians understand what the Word says about getting out of every problem. And that's what being a doer of the Word is all about. Every solution to every single problem in our lives is found in the finished work of Jesus at the Cross. I personally can only pray so much for a person, after trying to show them how the Cross has the solution. And when they don't want to be bothered with ending their pity party and studying what the Word has to say about their situation, well it just doesn't become much of a priority to pray for them. Countless people are going to go to their graves always asking for people to pray for their situation, without ever lifting a finger to put faith in God and to do what His Word says to do. Its just the plain ole truth and I don't think this happens because people haven't prayed enough for them. Its due to people tuning God out and refusing to do what they know He instructed them to do. Countless Christians just don't bother reading the Bible or applying anything that God wants us doing. And when the going gets rough, that's the time to read and put your faith in God. Its not the time to turn away from Him and say you can't be bothered with His Word. Its a serious sign of immaturity as a Christian. Prayer works for everyone and every situation. Its the receiving part that doesn't work for every situation and person. And I agree with what you're conveying so there's no diagreement on my end.

Last edited: