• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Lord - what does it mean?

Loyal
lord
lôrd/Submit
noun
someone or something having power, authority, or influence; a master or ruler.
"lord of the sea"
synonyms: master, ruler, leader, chief, superior, monarch, sovereign, king, emperor, prince, governor, commander, suzerain, liege, liege lord More
exclamation

This word is used over 600 times in the new testament alone.
The word most commonly used in the Greek is kurios.
Strongs says - one who has control over you, one you have submitted to.

In Luke 4:8; Jesus tells Satan about the Lord.

Rom 10:9; that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
Rom 10:10; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Php 2:10; so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
Php 2:11; and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

We say Jesus is our Lord.... Luke 2:11; Php 3:20; 2 Pet 1:11; 2 Pet 3:18; etc...

But is He... really??

Do you obey Him? Always? usually? sometimes? rarely? never?

Rom 10:9; and Php 2:11; talk about confessing with your mouth.. saying the words "out loud" with your tongues. Maybe this isn't a requirement, but even if it isn't, why wouldn't you do it?

Do you have a boss at work?
Do you obey Him? Always? usually? sometimes? rarely? never?

Usually if you don't obey them most of the time.. you aren't kept around getting a paycheck.

I was in the military for a while, we had sergeants, and officers,. We said yes sir, and no sir.
If you ever disobeyed an order, you would be disciplined. Depending on the order you could be imprisoned.
If you did this two or three times you could be court-marshaled and kicked out of the military.

Why would you obey your boss but not Jesus? Especially if you say He is your Lord.

Luke 6:46; “Why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?
Luke 6:47; Everyone who comes to Me and hears My words and acts on them, I will show you whom he is like:

Jesus goes on to speak about those who listen and obey... and those who don't.

Loyal
the Lord is someone we obey, if we do not obey him he is not our lord.

Just like you said BAC, but I wanted to re state it

Loyal
the Lord is someone we obey, if we do not obey him he is not our lord.

Hi @Dave M I know what you mean by this, but I think it puts the emphasis in the wrong place. In fact, Jesus is Lord regardless of whether we acknowledge him as lord or not. Sometimes we talk about accepting Jesus as Lord in such a way that it sounds like we are giving permission for Jesus to be Lord.

Hope you don't think I'm just being picky with words here.

I'm in the UK, a constitutional monarchy. Imagine me calling on Buckingham Palace to inform her Royal Highness that I accept her as Queen of the United Kingdom. It wouldn't go down too well.

Or, plenty of my friends oppose the monarchy and would prefer a republican system of Government. But they know that they are still bound by the laws that the Queen's government makes, have a duty to pay taxes to Her Majesties Revenue and Custom, and know that they run the risk of a spell in Her Majesty's prison if they don't comply.

Nearly all of the time, the New Testament writers say "Jesus is Lord", rather than "Jesus is our Lord".

Loyal
@Hekuran

Sometimes we talk about accepting Jesus as Lord in such a way that it sounds like we are giving permission for Jesus to be Lord.

That is a excellent point, .. however when we love him we will obey him and make him the lord of our life by obeying him. he is the Lord of of the universe and like you said, every knee will bow to him for sure. But not every one makes him the lord of there life and they will not have eternal life. the ones that do not obey him do not make him the lord of there life. Jesus does not make anyone obey him we have to want to obey him we have to want to make him Lord of out life.

Or, plenty of my friends oppose the monarchy and would prefer a republican system of Government. But they know that they are still bound by the laws that the Queen's government makes, have a duty to pay taxes to Her Majesties Revenue and Custom, and know that they run the risk of a spell in Her Majesty's prison if they don't comply.

I have to respectfully disagree with this my brother, I could be off here but the way I see is the people of this world oppose Jesus as Lord all day and every day, they just have not paid the price yet. Now when you brake the law from the gonverment you will end up in prison right away, you will pay taxes right away, you have no choice as they take taxes out of your pay check etc....... Jesus gives us a choice I can obey him by following his commandments now and look forward to eternal life, or I can ignore him and not obey his commandments now when a person ignores Jesus commandments they are making the satan there lord and not Jesus, is what I think,. Isn't it said in the bible somewhere that satan is the lord of this wolrd? So we are either following Jesus or satin, it our choice who we make our Lord of our life today

Jesus is the Lord of all. and all will find out one day that is for sure, but he give us the choice to follow him, your king forces you to follow him if you dont follow the rules you go to jail, Jesus says live as you want now follow me or satan you will be held accountable later.

Loyal
Agree. I'd say first, "Jesus is Lord" and second, "Jesus is my Lord".

And on the second point ... every analogy breaks down somewhere. You've found a place where my analogy falls to pieces.

Blessings

Loyal
Agree. I'd say first, "Jesus is Lord" and second, "Jesus is my Lord".

And on the second point ... every analogy breaks down somewhere. You've found a place where my analogy falls to pieces.

yet together they both work I get a better understanding thank you brother !!

I did not realize you were in the UK I talk with a good amount of lads from over there and seems most are not Christian, is that the case for the majority of people there?

Loyal
John 15:14; "You are My friends if you do what I command you.

1 Jn 2:4; The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

Are you a friend of Jesus? Some struggle with friend/Lord relationship with Jesus. Some people have a hard time seeing it
both ways.